Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15th July 2020, 12:53   #1  |  Link
YaBoyShredderson

Staxrip, HDR, 4K Blurays, NVenc HEVC??????

This is my first time posting in these forums, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

When I encode 1080p SDR blurays, I use handbrake, as its perfectly adequate for my needs. Those needs are to compress my movies to save space, but remain high quality as to be indistinguishable from the source.

With handbrake, all the videos are 1080p SDR h.264, so I use x264 CRF 18 veryslow high profile level 4.1 with the film tune. Other settings I may adjust on a case by case basis but that's the jist of it.

I heard staxrip is the best GUI encoder for HDR content, but I have no idea how to use it, and it also takes an absurd amount of time with x265. I did a little testing with nvenc hevc with my very limited knowledge and it seems to be faar too soft, at a qp of 18, but its miles faster.

any help? I have the same goals with 4k hdr as 1080p sdr, a transparent encode. I also plan on getting a new CPU when ryzen 4000 is released, which could help with speed, but if nvenc can be used for my goals, that would be even faster.

what's the hdr ingest thing? what settings do I need to change and how do I save that custom preset to be loaded by default? so I don't have to keep setting up every time I want to do something. I don't know anything when it comes to all these setting like look ahead or cu size or whatever, so if someone can tell what to change/tick or untick in all the menus, and then save it as default, something that will work with everything, that would be great. even if I have to adjust certain settings on a case by case basis, that would be miles easier than adjusting the whole thing.

I'm a big noob when it comes to x265, hdr, and staxrip, so sorry if I've been a bit rambly.
YaBoyShredderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
handbrake, hdr, nvenc, staxrip, x265