Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 12th January 2009, 22:38   #21  |  Link
HookedOnTV

I also have only had success with h264 video in the mp4 container with 2 channel sound. Seems like it would be harder to cripple things to work so poorly than just making it work. Really, is h264/ac3 in m2ts so much to ask for?
HookedOnTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 23:24   #22  |  Link
clsid

Did some testing with subtitles in WMP. DirectVobSub loads for IDX/SUB but not for SRT subs.
Old 13th January 2009, 05:02   #23  |  Link
Crono141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin-7 View Post
I've had some success with Win7 Beta1 64-bit and the Xbox MCX

Everything was encoded with Ripbot264 and I was able to play
H.264 High Profile M2TS with AC3 5.1 (played a 1080p video too but its a bit buggy)

H.264 High Profile MP4 with AAC HE or AAC LC (2 channel)

It would not play the AAC 5.1 Ripbot264 created though it played fine in WMP12 and Win7 media center. There is supposed to be a transcoder built in to help when media does not play I'm guessing its not working in beta 1.

However some test AAC-HE/LC MP4 videos I made using XviD4PSP caused the Xbox MCX to freak out and stop all video playback until it was restarted.

I also tried some videos encoded from Nero v8 and only the MP4 with 2 channel audio would play the AAC 5.1 and AC3 from Nero would not in the Xbox MCX (Nero's AAC 5.1 plays fine in WMP12/WMC and the AC3 MP4 plays video but no audio)

Overall it sorta works but its pretty buggy, obviously given its beta 1 status. Try Ripbot264 Crono141 if you want to get some videos working.

As far as I can tell the Xbox dash is still the same though the M2TS/MP4 videos now show if streaming from WMP12 but its still H.264/AAC-LC in MP4 only.
Can you please detail exactly what settings you used for RipBot264 to get h264/ac3 in m2ts to play on Media Center Extender. I just finished an encode that didn't work, and I just found all the possible settings inside the program. h264/AC3 in m2ts would be perfect if I can get it to play in an Extender.
Crono141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 05:22   #24  |  Link
Snowknight26

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
The H.264 decoder of Windows7 only works in WMP12/MC (since it uses Media Foundation instead of DirectShow/DMO) and only for MP4/MOV files.
Better late than never, but also with m2ts files.
Snowknight26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 14:01   #25  |  Link
Ronin-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono141 View Post
Can you please detail exactly what settings you used for RipBot264 to get h264/ac3 in m2ts to play on Media Center Extender. I just finished an encode that didn't work, and I just found all the possible settings inside the program. h264/AC3 in m2ts would be perfect if I can get it to play in an Extender.
What I used in Ripbot was the
Level 4.0 profile
audio = copy stream
Save as Blu-ray disc [look in bdmv\stream for video]

Thats all I did, the source material were some mpeg-2 clips I had.

Xvid4PSP also managed to output a working one select M2TS as container and copy audio and that worked for me.

[Now maybe there is something else going as I installed Ripbot264/ffdshow on the Win7 box and it worked perfectly, maybe the transcoder is active and working in the background which is why M2TS are playing for me but I cant really tell as the MCX gives no info about the video that is playing]

Playback was buggy though so you couldn't rely on it for normal usage, for example seeking in M2TS is broken in WMP12/WMC anyway.

I used the feedback tool about the various issues above so hopefully comes beta 2 we'll see some improvement.
Ronin-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 14:48   #26  |  Link
Jay Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
The H.264 decoder of Windows7 only works in WMP12/MC (since it uses Media Foundation instead of DirectShow/DMO) and only for MP4/MOV files.
Are you sure? I couldn't get it to connect to any splitter but it does work in DVBViewer.
Jay Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 14:58   #27  |  Link
Crono141

Weird, thats exactly what I did with no success. Only difference is I'm running 32 bit win7. Do you have ffdshow set to decode h264? I've also left feedback asking for support for multichannel ac3 and aac in m2ts and mp4 containers.

EDIT: Turning of H264 decoding in FFDshow didn't help me. I have noticed that MCE now plays all the old Divx/Xvid content natively, which is very nice.

The next thing I think I'm going to have to settle for is 2 channel AAC in mp4, but encode it as Dolby Pro Logic II. I'm no expert when it comes to DPLII. How does it compare (as far as channel separation/quality) to its source AC3? If its "close enough" I'll just run with that, as my receiver does DPLII.

Last edited by Crono141; 14th January 2009 at 03:36.
Old 17th January 2009, 03:47   #28  |  Link
Crono141

Just to update and bump: the best solution right now is to encode DVD to h264/2 channel AAC with Dolby Pro Logic II. While not "true surround" I've found DPLII to be close enough, at least for my uses. Hopefully, since MS is pushing the whole "Windows 7 is built using user feedback" line, they'll take the user feedback submitted by members of this forum and build in h264/AC3 in their final win7 build. So in other words, if you want an instant gratification solution, h264/DPLII is the way to go. If you want to back up your DVDs once, I'd wait until Win 7 Beta 2 or final to see if they'll add in this feature.

In other news: Windows 7 is so much better than vista, it isn't even funny. I believe Vista will go down as the "Windows Millennium" of this generation of OS's, with Windows 7 being the new XP.
Old 18th January 2009, 05:21   #29  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
In other news: Windows 7 is so much better than vista, it isn't even funny.
Do you have anything more specific? Since the H.264 and MKV support turned out to be more or less useless, I wonder whether any of the other promises prove true.

For example: Did they reduce the install size of Windows 7 significantly compared to Vista? And is UAC really less annoying than it used to be under Vista?

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 18th January 2009 at 05:23.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 05:52   #30  |  Link
Dark Eiri

@LoRd_MuldeR: Yes and yes. The 7 Ultimate takes about 8 GB of HDD space once installed. Vista Ultimate takes about ~13 GB. And UAC is REALLY better, not annoying at all, buf of course, you can disable it easily too.
Dark Eiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 07:16   #31  |  Link
Crono141

Library's are a cool feature too. Seems much more stable. I've only ever gotten a BSOD when trying to install an incompatible driver. I used to BSOD regularly on vista. I also use my PC in a living room on a large TV, and Windows 7 large fonts are much easier to read than Vista was. The new taskbar is nice, and things take up less room. Performance is nicer, and despite this thread, the added media center functionality is really nice. I don't need transcode 360 any more. It seems DivX/XviD is fully supported for MCE now. My next experiments with DVD backup are going to be with XviD/DivX because AC3 audio is supporting with those formats now. I've never done any DVD backups with XviD though (just WMV and H264), so its going to be another learning process.
Old 18th January 2009, 08:32   #32  |  Link
tre31

Quote:
I'd wait until Win 7 Beta 2 or final to see if they'll add in this feature.
OT: I think they said there is no beta 2 as such, just one beta (and then possibly release candidates? - thats what they usually do)
tre31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 18:39   #33  |  Link
Crono141

I'm really not down with the whole lingo of Beta vs RC's. RC just seems like a fancy name for Beta 2 or 3 or whatever.
Old 18th January 2009, 18:59   #34  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
I'm really not down with the whole lingo of Beta vs RC's. RC just seems like a fancy name for Beta 2 or 3 or whatever.
The difference is that a "beta" is an unfinished test version, while a "release candidate" (RC) is a version that might actually be released.

If any bugs are found in a RC, then a new RC needs to be made. This process is repeated until the very last RC version is renamed to "Final".
Old 18th January 2009, 21:31   #35  |  Link
slavickas
I'm Shpongled

and RCs are "feature complete", you shouldnt expect any new feature added
slavickas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 04:42   #36  |  Link

Attachment deleted. Post large (useless) images elsewhere and link here. Do not use profanity.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 21:02   #37  |  Link
kosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post
Sure it's main reason is better content Protection ...
So, has anyone found anything about Media Foundation that is actually of major value? Or is it really just about DRM? I haven't tried Windows 7 yet but I would think better integration with hardware acceleration could be seen as a true value?
kosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 23:49   #38  |  Link
Crono141

Back on topic: I've decided to go with XviD/AC3. Plays natively in ps3, plays natively on x360 dash, and win7 transcodes it to mce. Larger file size, but I got the space.

Edit: Now I'm not sure again, because the wife just got a zune 120, and we discovered that it doesn't like xvid/ac3 in an avi container, and all the old registry hacks don't work in the new zune software. Bummer.

Last edited by Crono141; 22nd January 2009 at 03:19.
Old 22nd January 2009, 02:29   #39  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmonaut View Post
So, has anyone found anything about Media Foundation that is actually of major value?
The current status is: Media Foundation decoders and splitters (like Microsofts H.264 and MKV filters) currently work with WMP12 and MediaCenter only.

Decide yourself whether this is of any value for you. For me it isn't, but I don't miss it either. We really have enough great OpenSource alternatives...
Old 22nd January 2009, 05:12   #40  |  Link
Toti

I like the new Windows 7, it finally got to work Hardware acceleration. My .wmv do get accelerated uses about 15~25% cpu and .ts or .m2ts with AVC/AC3 uses from 1~5% CPU. Amazing that H.264 works easier and better than its native .wmv Also, note that the new media center has "Movie Library" meaning that if you open a folder drop the movie in in wmv, m2ts or ts it reads it great and has "resume" memory that was only previously available on .dvr-ms only and if you drop a .jpg file with the movie cover name it "folder.jpg" and it will appear as the cover page.

Tags
h264, multichannel, windows 7