Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th March 2018, 22:07   #49421  |  Link
clsid

MPC-HC is still working fine, so absolutely no need to replace it.

Plus there are still updates...
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=175209
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2018, 23:26   #49422  |  Link
raymondjpg

D3D11 with Intel Graphics and Windows 7

I am trying unsuccessfully to implement D3D11 output from NUCs with Intel Graphics 5000 (Haswell) and 540 (Skylake) running Windows 7. All I can get is D3D9 output (new path).

I can get D3D11 output from a Windows 7 PC with an old NVidia GT430, so it looks like some problem with the NUCs running Intel Graphics and Windows 7. I can get D3D11 output no problems with Intel Graphics 640 in a Kaby Lake NUC running Windows 10, and it is possible that I would be able to get D3D11 output from the older NUCs if I were running Windows 10 but I would much prefer to keep them running Windows 7.

Does anyone have tips how I can get D3D11 output from NUCs with Intel Graphics 5000 (Haswell) and 540 (Skylake) running Windows 7?

TIA
raymondjpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2018, 23:51   #49423  |  Link
ryrynz

Why do you care about D3D11 output?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 00:04   #49424  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Do you have the Windows 7 Platform Update? Do you have Aero enabled? AFAIK both are required for the D3D11 output.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 00:39   #49425  |  Link
raymondjpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Why do you care about D3D11 output?
The quality of graphics in the Kaby Lake NUC look better to me with D3D11 output.
Old 7th March 2018, 00:41   #49426  |  Link
raymondjpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Do you have the Windows 7 Platform Update? Do you have Aero enabled? AFAIK both are required for the D3D11 output.
The Windows 7 Platform Update KB is installed. Aero is disabled, but I wasn't aware that it was required for D3D11 output. Can someone confirm?
Old 7th March 2018, 01:34   #49427  |  Link
Asmodian

Yes, Aero (actually the DWM, not Aero specifically) is required for D3D11 output.
Old 7th March 2018, 03:22   #49428  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondjpg View Post
The quality of graphics in the Kaby Lake NUC look better to me with D3D11 output.
Doesn't affect madVR quality, hopefully you don't run into glitches though on Intel Graphics using it.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 04:49   #49429  |  Link
raymondjpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Yes, Aero (actually the DWM, not Aero specifically) is required for D3D11 output.
Thanks for the confirmation. Enabling aero has resulted in D3D11 output from the Haswell NUC. I've no reason to think that it would not work with the Skylake NUC as well.

There was some reason in the past that I found it advisable to disable aero on my Windows 7 HTPCs. I've forgotten why that was, but everything (so far) appears to be working as it should with aero enabled again.
Old 7th March 2018, 04:56   #49430  |  Link
raymondjpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Doesn't affect madVR quality, hopefully you don't run into glitches though on Intel Graphics using it.
Something changed with the Kaby Lake graphics when I switched to D3D11 output and FSE mode. Not only did the graphics appear crisper, but colour saturation increased so that it was necessary to dial it down in MPC-HC. If it wasn't madVR quality that was affected, what could it have been due to?

So far, with the Kaby Lake, I have seen no glitches at all, even when present a frame for every VSyync is unchecked. I'll try the Haswell and Skylake with that option unchecked first, and keep an eye on the presentation glitch count in the stats.
Old 7th March 2018, 05:09   #49431  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
If it wasn't madVR quality that was affected, what could it have been due to?
Intel's video (damage) algorithms kicking in, madVR probably successfully bypasses them when using D3D9 but not when using D3D11. Some "Standard Color Correction" or "Color Enhancement" could explain your observations.
Old 7th March 2018, 05:18   #49432  |  Link
raymondjpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Intel's video (damage) algorithms kicking in, madVR probably successfully bypasses them when using D3D9 but not when using D3D11. Some "Standard Color Correction" or "Color Enhancement" could explain your observations.
That sounds possible, but I usually disable all "Color Enhancements" in the HD Graphics settings, with the exception of slight tweaking of skin tone, and hue. Anyway, the graphics look better to me in the Kaby Lake NUC when using D3D11. It remains to be seen if they will look better in the Haswell and Skylake NUCs.
Old 7th March 2018, 13:45   #49433  |  Link
stefanelli73

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanelli73 View Post
I wanted to know if any of you could help me about the subtitles of blu ray scaled to 3840x2160, in practice when the fixed subtitles come out the image slows down by going for a few seconds, increasing the rendering and after the subtitles disappear it is replaced, this it happens even if I use JINC as IMAGE UPSCALING.
My video card is AMD RX480, media player JRIVER, os WINDOWS 10.
Nobody?
stefanelli73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 16:28   #49434  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
That sounds possible, but I usually disable all "Color Enhancements" in the HD Graphics settings, with the exception of slight tweaking of skin tone, and hue. Anyway, the graphics look better to me in the Kaby Lake NUC when using D3D11. It remains to be seen if they will look better in the Haswell and Skylake NUCs.
Better buy a calibration device, instead of tinkering with some odd settings
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 18:44   #49435  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanelli73 View Post
Nobody?
It might be a bandwidth issue. For such high resolutions, a lot of data needs to be copied to/from the GPU memory.

Try D3D11 hardware acceleration in LAV Video decoder.
Old 7th March 2018, 18:52   #49436  |  Link
sorinmisu

No chroma upscaling after win10 reinstall

Hello,
I have been using madvr for some time but recently I had to reinstall windows. Now all the settings work fine except for chroma upscaling, it doesn't produce any image changes. Any idea on what it may cause this?
sorinmisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 20:48   #49437  |  Link
el Filou

You can't have chroma upscaling not work, it's (in 99% of cases) a necessary step to display compressed video. Probably the differences between algorithms are so subtle that you don't spot them.
Old 7th March 2018, 20:58   #49438  |  Link
clsid

Press Ctrl+J to see which algorithm is used. Madvr will by default ignore your choice and use DXVA chroma upscaling if you use DXVA native decoding or if the video is interlaced.
Old 7th March 2018, 20:59   #49439  |  Link
sorinmisu

Then what could affect chroma upscaling such that before reinstall I could see a clear difference between algorithms and now not being able to see any difference?
Old 7th March 2018, 21:05   #49440  |  Link
sorinmisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Press Ctrl+J to see which algorithm is used. Madvr will by default ignore your choice and use DXVA chroma upscaling if you use DXVA native decoding or if the video is interlaced.
In LAV Video decoder I use Hardware decoder "Nvidia CUVID" and for chroma > NGU Anti-Alias (high)

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling