Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th October 2015, 18:58   #33941  |  Link
Sorrigotti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
@Sorrigotti, read my post (all of it).
Razoola, I read your post, but in my case I have the same problem using Media Player Home Cinema (MPC-HC).
Not only with KODI DSPlayer the problem occurs.
Sorrigotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2015, 19:14   #33942  |  Link
Razoola

@Sorrigotti, You will have the same issue if you load MPC, then kodi and then MPC again. If you just use MPC and never kodi the settings should be fine.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2015, 19:34   #33943  |  Link
Nezil

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
and how would can your display know it is bt 2020? how to tell it?
HDMI has for some time had the ability to signal BT.2020 colourimetry, as have HEVC compressed files. Many displays already have this functionality enabled, but there is so little BT.2020 content around that very little consumer experimentation has ever taken place.

In my case, I was also able to work with a development firmware for the displays that I work on, which has the ability to manually select BT.2020 even if it's not signalled.

Quote:
and do you really think your TVs mapping is perfect?
I don't, and part of my work was to test how good the TV mapping was; I developed a test suite of colours for this purpose, and measured the difference between the measured and expected colours to test this.

Quote:
is the 3D LUt create with or without your normal LUT?
So I was doing some development work on HDR tone mapping, using the 3D LUT feature of madVR for three aspects of this:
  • Conversion of BT.2020 to the native RGB of the display
  • Conversion of SMPTE 2084 (PQ) EOTF to the calibrated EOTF response of the display (2.2 Gamma)
  • Re-mapping from high brightness HDR signal to a lower peak brightness display - this one is by far the most complex, and this is what I was spending most of my time experimenting with
The 3D LUTs that I was building were based on mathematical equations to carry out the three aspects above, and I therefore didn't use ArgyllCMS or DispcalGUI.

I used the display on-screen tools to calibrate the display to 2.2 Gamma and D65 white point, so this was the target output from my 3D LUT.

I could have perhaps concatenated two 3D LUTs, one for initial calibration of the display to a more accurate 2.2 Gamma / D65, and the second one for my HDR work. I didn't do this though.

Although I'm happy to talk about all of this, it is pretty much off-topic. I'd advise anyone interested in the topic of HDR / BT.2020 / Future display standards etc. to either PM me, or start another topic for that purpose.
Nezil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2015, 19:42   #33944  |  Link
Sorrigotti

Quote:
@Sorrigotti, You will have the same issue if you load MPC, then kodi and then MPC again. If you just use MPC and never kodi the settings should be fine.
But I've uninstalled everything and reinstall madVR and MPC, without installing KODI and yet not I save my changes in madVR ....
Old 28th October 2015, 20:30   #33945  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrigotti View Post
But I've uninstalled everything and reinstall madVR and MPC, without installing KODI and yet not I save my changes in madVR ....
Than I can't help you... There is nothing in MPC that would cause madVR to loose settings I think.... It will be more a case of madVR not saving the settings period. Youll have to wait for madshi to comment.
Old 28th October 2015, 21:12   #33946  |  Link
Razoola

@sorrigotti. I have one more thing you could try.....

1) Go to madVR install folder and launch 'madHcCtrl.exe', then in the system tray open madVR setting and make your required changes.
2) Using the tray icon option exit so it closes.
3) Launch 'madHcCtrl.exe' again and see if your setting are still set.
Old 28th October 2015, 22:07   #33947  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Follow these steps and Apply at the end:

QB
Old 28th October 2015, 22:16   #33948  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Kodi with DSplayer takes advantage of profiles in madVR. Every time you launch this version of kodi it forces its settings into its madVR profile (kodi must store settings also separately from madVR somewhere). To alter these separate settings in kodi you must play a video in kodi and then use kodi video settings icon. Once there you can change almost all madVR settings related to the image. You must use and save setting option at the top of that kodi menu once your desired settings are made or they will not be saved. In effect this version of kodi allows you to alter madVR settings without physically opening madVR at all. For this player that is a good thing but there is the side effect you are experiencing which may highlight a potential madVR issue.

I can't for the life of me for example seem to be able to create settings independent of the profiles set up by this version of kodi/dsplayer from within madVR its self. madVR simply won't let me choose the option to make a new profile (greyed out). So while I agree kodi is the source of this situation, there is also an issue in madVR stopping one creating totally independent settings from the profile set up by this kodi version.

Let me give an example of what I mean.... Once kodi/dsplayer has set its profile in madVR, in madVR if I open the processing menu, that first create new profile option is greyed out. The next menu is 'DSPlayer Profile Group' From there I can create a new profile but its a sub profile of this group. The next menu is 'DSPlayer Profile' and under that is all the processing options. There is no way to create a new profile outside of this original DSplayer profile group. This is the issue, but maybe this is the way it should be??

Maybe its a case of kodi naming that lead profile in a way that is misleading, maybe it should not be named 'DSPlayer Profile Group' but something like 'madVR Profiles', I just don't know as I have not taken advantage of madVR's profile options in the past. None the less though the settings changed by this kodi version also change the way madVR acts with other video players.

The solution to this would be madVR detecting the video player used and then using a profile based on the videoplayer detected. On the other side however it can be rightly argued madVR options should be the same over all videos players as quality should not change from player to player. Then it comes full circle to the issue at hand, once you use this kodi version, any changes you make directly in madVR can be altered by this video player when its launched. This is because the player never reads settings in from madVR to its personal settings storage, it only exports those settings out to madVR.

[edit]
I have to correct myself a little because there is a way to get the kodi player to load in settings from madVR and not use profiles but it is not the default kodi setting and its not well labelled either.... In the Kodi/dsplayer options in kodi there is a setting 'Manage settings with Kodi'. In here if you choose 'Load from madVR active profile' then kodi will work in much the same way other players do, any changes you make in madvr menus will be used with kodi also. I never knew about this setting and I have changed it from the default (which causes the issue above). I'm going to suggest this setting be named differently, maybe something like 'Interaction with madVR'.
The solution to your problem requires reading the DSPlayer set-up guide. This can be confusing, but there is nothing wrong with profile use once you know what you are doing.

DSPlayer can save its own settings internally. Or it can load directly from madVR. It depends on the chosen DSPlayer setting.

The great thing about Kodi DSPlayer is you can change settings for the active madVR profile with a remote from Kodi and madVR will save these changes in the madVR control panel. Experimenting with processing features becomes very easy, and madVR saves every change you make.

Further correspondence should be made in the DSPlayer forum.

Last edited by Warner306; 28th October 2015 at 22:24.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2015, 22:47   #33949  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
The solution to your problem requires reading the DSPlayer set-up guide. This can be confusing, but there is nothing wrong with profile use once you know what you are doing.

DSPlayer can save its own settings internally. Or it can load directly from madVR. It depends on the chosen DSPlayer setting.

The great thing about Kodi DSPlayer is you can change settings for the active madVR profile with a remote from Kodi and madVR will save these changes in the madVR control panel. Experimenting with processing features becomes very easy, and madVR saves every change you make.

Further correspondence should be made in the DSPlayer forum.
Yes I understand it now, the way the kodi UI references the madVR setting is not the most clear presently. Even for an advanced user like myself, I got stuck. I have made suggestions in the kodi/psplayer thread about how it can make things easier for its users with a couple of simple ASCII changes.

The way the default Kodi/DS player setting are implemented have implications to madVR users who use other media players (with madVR) and that probably needs addressing in this thread.

In an ideal world my suggestion of madVR being able to use different profiles for different mediaplayers would be perfect for kodi/dsplayer. The player would no longer need a setting on how to handle madvr settings and users of multiple media players would not have to worry about one media player changing madVR settings affecting all media players. Another option would be to allow madVR to be an internal part of a player (like LAV is with MPC-HC for example).

Of course its probably not a discussion for between users and madshi but rather between madshi and makers of media players.

Would be interesting to hear madshi's view on this though and if he would consider such a feature at least.

Last edited by Razoola; 29th October 2015 at 11:14.
Old 28th October 2015, 22:55   #33950  |  Link
Sorrigotti

Quote:
@sorrigotti. I have one more thing you could try.....

1) Go to madVR install folder and launch 'madHcCtrl.exe', then in the system tray open madVR setting and make your required changes.
2) Using the tray icon option exit so it closes.
3) Launch 'madHcCtrl.exe' again and see if your setting are still set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
Follow these steps and Apply at the end:

QB

Razoola e QBhd, thanks for the help.
Arriving home I will test these options you are suggesting.
Then put the result.
Old 29th October 2015, 00:05   #33951  |  Link
Arm3nian

When quadrupling chroma and luma with nnedi3, is it first best to max out neurons in doubling, and then increase quadrupling, or keep them equal? My guess is the first option.
Arm3nian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2015, 00:07   #33952  |  Link
aufkrawall

Doubling is more important, so use higher neuron count first.
You could also check if you really see an improvement compared to NNEDI3 doubling + super-xbr for quadruple.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2015, 01:30   #33953  |  Link
Arm3nian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Doubling is more important
Quadrupling would double the already doubled image, so that makes sense to make the thing that is going to be doubled better quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
You could also check if you really see an improvement compared to NNEDI3 doubling + super-xbr for quadruple.
super-xbr looks more pixelated.
Arm3nian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2015, 02:33   #33954  |  Link
Sorrigotti

Razoola and QBhd, tested what you suggested me but it did not work ...
I tried changing the settings.bin of properties, bin and allow full control according to the image and it worked for MPC-HC but for the KODI not ....
I do not know if it can be something of Windows 10 ...
Thank you for your help!

Old 29th October 2015, 03:10   #33955  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
I tried changing the settings.bin of properties, bin and allow full control according to the image and it worked for MPC-HC but for the KODI not ....
I do not know if it can be something of Windows 10 ...
I think I know what is happening to you.

KODI keeps its own madVR settings for some reason (can you turn this off?). These settings are written to madVR's settings every time you use madVR in KODI, maybe every time you open KODI.

You cannot solve this with madVR, you need to set the settings in KODI. If those settings do not save, you need to ask in the KODI forums.
Old 29th October 2015, 03:40   #33956  |  Link
Sorrigotti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post

KODI keeps its own madVR settings for some reason (can you turn this off?). These settings are written to madVR's settings every time you use madVR in KODI, maybe every time you open KODI.

You cannot solve this with madVR, you need to set the settings in KODI. If those settings do not save, you need to ask in the KODI forums.
Asmodian, I'm trying to address this issue now in the forum KODI.
Thank you so much for your help !
Old 29th October 2015, 07:24   #33957  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post

The post on the previous page describes this issue. madVR has a dummy profile because of the option you have selected in DSPlayer.

You have three options when using Kodi DSPlayer (only two are important):

Video -> DSPlayer -> - Manage settings with Kodi

Never: The Kodi madVR GUI is disabled and all madVR settings are loaded exclusively from the madVR control panel.

Load and Save with DSPlayer database: Enabling this option allows basic configuration of madVR from within Kodi. These settings are accessed during video playback by selecting Video Settings. Video settings are set on a per video basis but can be saved as a global profile for all videos. DSPlayer will create its own DSPlayer Profile Group in the madVR control panel when this setting is enabled. This is a dummy profile intended to separate DSPlayer settings from existing madVR profiles. This dummy profile is not meant for external configuration. Internal settings tables are saved by Kodi – no settings are saved in the madVR control panel.

Load from madVR active profile: Upon playback, the appropriate profile is loaded from madVR for the selected video. Changes made from within Kodi will change the same value in the madVR control panel. No dummy profile is created. These changes only impact the active madVR profile and profile rules cannot be created or saved. This is the best choice for those who have set-up profiles in madVR. Any changes made to the active profile are saved externally by madVR. External settings are always loaded in place of internal Kodi tables.

Last edited by Warner306; 29th October 2015 at 08:02.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2015, 10:50   #33958  |  Link
SweetLow

to madshi:
1. How to configure profile rules:
fps, deintFps, _bits_ - source frame rate, framerate after deinterlacing, bitdepth

"bits" is not worked, worked "srcbits" (and "bitdepth" too, no difference in my testing - both actually reflect bitdepth of stream on madVR input, actually no true _source_ bitdepth in case of "srcbits") so maybe you change help?

2. can i ask new string variable like "device" or "targetDevice" - the name of current rendering device taked from "devices->device name:" field of config?

Last edited by SweetLow; 29th October 2015 at 10:53.
SweetLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2015, 10:58   #33959  |  Link
Razoola

@sorrigotti, listen to what Warner306 and Asmodian have just told you and change the kodi setting to either 'Never' or 'Load from madVR active profile', I suggest this 2nd option for you.

That is the cause of your issue 100% given you said the suggestions worked for MPC-HC.

Last edited by Razoola; 29th October 2015 at 11:09.
Old 29th October 2015, 13:57   #33960  |  Link
markanini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm3nian View Post
Quadrupling would double the already doubled image, so that makes sense to make the thing that is going to be doubled better quality.

super-xbr looks more pixelated.
I'm more bothered by the slight increase in haloing. This is a problem with only a small subset of my videos. Have you tried a lower sharpness value for super-xbr though?
markanini is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling