Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 24th August 2019, 15:48   #1501  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

Yes, leaving anamorphic checked and Downscale Only will get you the best results.

Anamorphic is useful if your source is anamorphic, like most DVDs. It allows you to preserve the same storage resolution, which is always best because you don't have to resample/smear the pixels.
Downscale Only is the best bet because upscaling does not increase video quality. In most cases, changing the resolution of a video will decrease the quality as most pixels will need to be spread out across multiple pixels in the output. Picture a big grid of square boxes, each with a different color sand inside. Now you make another grid of the same physical size, only it's 50% larger, partitioned into smaller and more numerous boxes. You put the smaller grid under the larger one and let the sand fall down into the new grid. Some of those boxes (pixels) will have an original color of sand in them. But many of them will end up with color from multiple different boxes, as the grid lines don't line up exactly. Those mix and "average out" to a new color. But you wouldn't expect your "sand picture" to look any better at any distance, just because you've re-boxed it.

Anyway the general rule of thumb when transcoding is efficiently storing the video in a standard format with minimal quality loss. You can't add quality or detail that wasn't there in the original.
RandomEngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2019, 02:30   #1502  |  Link
dr_ml422

This here gives me a rough time with quick reply. It almost always tells me to refresh after I did so already and I lose what I had posted. Anyway I think it's time that these transcoding apps come with the ability to do just that, and give us the best of both worlds. They do it when you purchase so why not in the apps? Right? We get Full and Anamorphic if we want. Microsoft's version of VidCoder will not let you play on the preview! Something about not letting you use additional processes. M$! Always meddling in the wrong way! Anyway I played around and hit manual on the Sizing and left it at 1920x1080 PAR 1:! and the preview looked good. I'll give it a go. Thanks very much! That whole DAR, PAR, thing is very, very, in depth stuff to take in. I'll have to study that with much patience. You simplified it amap let me tell you. I'll be hitting the original download site asap. Unbelievable! If I hadn't been fooling around looking for answers, I never would have known there is no playback with the M$ version of VidCoder.

Something is not right with your download. Microsoft's download the Picker worked. Your download the picker didn't want to pick the subtitle. I had the same setting as before. Pick 1st subtitle. I have no idea what you mean in Languages where you say if not your language? I'm sorry but a Guide is necessary. If I drag and drop a file with a subtitle in the folder then that's the first and only subtitle. I think VidCoder is thinking that the picker just works with DVDs? That's the only reason why it wouldn't pick the subtitle.Now I don't trust this download. I should have left Microsoft's in even though it wouldn't play back the preview.

Last edited by dr_ml422; 26th August 2019 at 01:24. Reason: Frustrated!
dr_ml422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2019, 15:58   #1503  |  Link
napouser

request

is it possible to change the progress from whole queue into the progress of current job regarding the taskbar icon
napouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2019, 13:31   #1504  |  Link
carlmart
Carlos Martinez

Hi, I may need some help because I'm having what seems to be throttling problems when processing a conversion with Vidcoder and doing ethernet video streaming at the same time.

As it did happen in the past, and I wasn't sure of the relation between both things, I didn't pay much attention and let it be. But now it does seems there's a relationship.

The problem manifested itself as the streaming stopping a few seconds, then going on, then stopping again. After a few times, and not knowing what was going on I stopped the streaming.

Yesterday I tried again without using Vidcoder and things streamed fine.

My CPU is an Intel i7 4790K, no overdrive or anything. with 32GB memory, also not overclocked. No intention to do any over.

How can I setup the Vidcoder 2.62 so as not to interfere with my streaming?
carlmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2019, 15:39   #1505  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

Look in Global Options -> Process. Worker process priority and CPU throttling might help you here. Try lowering the priority first.
Old 12th September 2019, 22:07   #1506  |  Link
napouser

bug (hard to reproduce)

when changing encodeing settings :
from the drop down menu select "xxprofile"
then select something else
the drop down still is open
Old 30th September 2019, 20:54   #1507  |  Link
zappa

thank you for your excellent work, I want to ask you, is it possible to add support for Avisynth+ ?

to be able to use as input = .avs

Avisynth scripts.

thanks
zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2019, 04:00   #1508  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

The HandBrake core that VidCoder uses would need to add support for it. I don't think they'll be doing that though.
Old 10th October 2019, 05:27   #1509  |  Link
dr_ml422

x265 NVenc larger outputs

Hi Random, I just noticed that although NVenc .265 is way faster it'll put out a larger file size than regular .h265 encoding. Why is that?

Also when you first open up VidCoder what exactly is the default setting for encoding? Is it Fast 720P 30 H.264? If so if I change it to Fast 1080P 30 and leave Downscaling checked as you suggested, what would change if anything since I'm not upscaling to the 1080p Thanks.
Old 10th October 2019, 15:00   #1510  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

NVenc is much faster but less efficient than CPU encoding. It was designed to do real-time encoding (like streaming).

The 720p/1080p in the case is the maximum size. So if you have a source that's smaller than 720p it won't make a difference. But if you started with a 4k source, one would downscale to 720p and the other to 1080p. The setting is useful to optimize to the output display you plan on watching on. If you only have a 720p display there is no point in encoding more than that, since it will just end up 720p anyway and will look worse since you resampled the pixels twice.
Old 10th October 2019, 19:26   #1511  |  Link
dr_ml422

Great! Thanks.

Oh so since I have a 1080P HDTV and use it as my monitor as well, I'm okay leaving it at Fast 1080p 30 correct? No wonder for DVDs it's better to leave it at Fast 720p 30 since DVDs are 720x480. I just re-encoded The Ten Commandments which I had done in 10 bit, though had a file size of 4.22 GB. I ran it through at regular 8 bits HEVC and it went down to 3.82 GB. Now some of my 10 bit encodes are actually nice and small in size, so I don't know why that is. Some poster suggested not encoding to 10 bit with VidCoder or anywhere I guess, though he never mentioned why. It looks really sharp at 10 bits imhp.
Old 12th October 2019, 17:02   #1512  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

720p actually refers to the height, so it's 1280x720 - this is more than the DVD's 720x480. I would set the max size to your intended display size. Or remove the max size if you are just trying to archive the video. I think the reason you might not do 10 bit is that it doesn't have as good player support. But if it plays just fine everywhere that you care about, go for it.
Old 14th October 2019, 07:43   #1513  |  Link
dr_ml422

Just learned something new to me. Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomEngy View Post
720p actually refers to the height, so it's 1280x720 - this is more than the DVD's 720x480. I would set the max size to your intended display size. Or remove the max size if you are just trying to archive the video. I think the reason you might not do 10 bit is that it doesn't have as good player support. But if it plays just fine everywhere that you care about, go for it.
I never thought about this. I've been using the Fast 720p or Fast 1080p setting since the beginning. You mean that since the DVD is 720x480, I should be just leaving the size alone and just converting it to w/e I want, say MKV HEVC in my case? You see there's no guide so I just figured I'd use one of the presets and be good. So if it's a DVD source then I should be using say Fast 480p and I'd still get a nice MKV HEVC file? How would I even get rid of the Max size anyway since it's automatically configured no matter what preset I use? How would VidCoder know what to use if there's nothing in the Max Width or Max Height box? Help me out here if you would, so I can get the best out of VidCoder. With High-Def files the presets are great because now I can either leave the original size, or if I want a smaller yet quality file, I can just go from 1080p to 720p with great results. I been scouring the web for tips and never has one poster talked about leaving it as the original size in the converted file. At least I think they never did. I understand now. Even at 480p Height if it's 16x9 to begin with it'll still look great. Maybe there should be some preset that specifically says for "DVD to ...". Remember not everyone is specifically using VidCoder for DVDs/Bluray. I know most of my encoding jobs are from .MP4 to .MKV HEVC AC3 since to me MKV and AC3 sounds a helluva lot better than .MP4 AAC.

I see now. You mean set the Max size to the size of my HDTV which is my display. I'd just have to look at my settings and see what it actually is. I would have to save that as my own preset because VidCoder goes back to w/e you set before. Basically I've been lucky all these years since I had no idea about this setting for the DVDs.
Old 15th October 2019, 15:27   #1514  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

You can delete the number inside the Max Width/Height box to remove the restriction. Then it will just use the source resolution.
Old 27th October 2019, 17:45   #1515  |  Link
dr_ml422

Thanks.

Quote:
You can delete the number inside the Max Width/Height box to remove the restriction. Then it will just use the source resolution.
It also just has the "No Size or None" option there. This makes for an even smaller, though still quality encode as it keeps the original Size and doesn't take away from anything. If it's Anamorphic it will still be Anamorphic.

I ran into a glitch the other day and then saw the reason why. For some reason it was cutting off 2 frames or w/e it's called from both Height and Width and so not a denominator of x16. Rarely it does this anymore. Anyway I just put it back to its original size and it encoded properly without any adjustments. You know it always wants to cut off a bit with the output I guess for what it deems best setting.

Last edited by dr_ml422; 27th October 2019 at 17:47. Reason: Correction.
Old 6th November 2019, 03:08   #1516  |  Link
napouser

bug

tons of failed encodes when doing 2 at the same time (about 50% success rate)
when going back to 1 at a time it goes back to normal (90+%)
Old 10th November 2019, 11:58   #1517  |  Link
napouser

bug

when add to queue multiple titles to queue from a bluray
they all added with the same name (bd name) so eventually all 15 titles are encoded with the same output so each encode overwrites the other!
Old 10th November 2019, 12:22   #1518  |  Link
Zetti

HandBrake v1.3.0 is released.
https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=33&p=186762
Zetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2019, 16:02   #1519  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

@napouser: Did you have any custom file naming options enabled? By default it should include the title number in the file name on a Blu-ray encode.
Old 11th November 2019, 23:51   #1520  |  Link
napouser

Quote:
@napouser: Did you have any custom file naming options enabled? By default it should include the title number in the file name on a Blu-ray encode.

hmmm
interesting
apparently default settings are {source} - {quality} {preset}

but picker is {source} so i guess thats ovveriding it

shit i guess i have to switch them