Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd April 2012, 15:25   #1  |  Link
bollemanneke

Can I convert 2 channels Dolby Pro Logic II wav files to 5.1 ac3?

Hello everyone.

I know that someone has posted this question already, but seeing as this happened eight years ago, I thought it best to post it again, because technoloy might have improved.

Six months ago, I bought the soundtrack CD for Deathly Hallows Part II, but seeing as I'm blind and didn't know anything about the bonus section, I only found out a few weeks ago that by putting the CD in my computer, I would be able to download the soundtrack in 5.1 surround, which I was thrilled to do because you can hear so much more details and instrumets in a 5.1 soundtrack, and because I had already bought the limited edition of the soundtrack for Part I, which included a 5.1 surround sound DVD.

However, after downloading the soundtrack, I ended up with a folder full of huge two channels WAV files, while the folder name clearly said surround. I wrote to Warner Bros and they told me that I had to burn the music files on a CD first - WHY? - and then had to play the files through a Dolby Pro Logic Receiver - no idea what that is - to get surround. In my opinion, that's a cock-and-bull story. I played the files through the dolby decoder of K-lite Codec Pack, but it didn't sound better at all, what's more: I could hear no difference whatsoever between my own ripped 128 kbps MP3 files and WB's WAV files.

So here's my question: can I convert these WAV files to real 5.1 ac3s or wavs? If not, what software do I use to hear real 5.1 surround sound, rather than the crackling result you get when K-lite Codec Pack tries to do it? K-lite sometimes give good results, but the fact remains that my 5.1 files of Part I keep sounding better than the two channel files of Part II.

Last edited by bollemanneke; 3rd April 2012 at 15:28.
bollemanneke is offline   Reply With Quote