Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 27th September 2017, 08:56   #26501  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
Would you expect anything less? Then again, you probably insert those just to see if I will find them.
Yeah... I WISH I could take credit for being that clever... Geez dude, if there is a mistake anywhere, YOU will find it!
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 15:03   #26502  |  Link
MrVideo

Through my many years of working with computers and software, I've managed to find things that others have missed in our products and I wasn't even looking. I just can magically find these things, sometimes.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 19:27   #26503  |  Link
AmigaFuture

So have I MrVideo, and certainly don't point my finger to luck, coincidences, or magic...though illusionists are prrrrrrrretty cool. Lathe, if you really think deeply about it there aren't any mistakes but rather only choices (fully considered or not).
Old 27th September 2017, 21:54   #26504  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaFuture View Post
Lathe, if you really think deeply about it there aren't any mistakes but rather only choices (fully considered or not).
Hmmm... I think you are right... I believe I will 'choose' to give our dear Mr. Video a little working over...
Old 1st October 2017, 21:59   #26505  |  Link
mparade

Hello,

While BD-RB is importing and "converting the source to a compatible format" what kind of x264 settings are being used? Lossless, right?

Thanks for the help in advance.
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2017, 01:20   #26506  |  Link
AmigaFuture

If it were lossless you'd have a much larger file than what is being imported. Lossless means without compression. Otherwise it's lossy. A DivX or XviD becomes much larger, for example. So not lossless.

Update: To be Lossless every frame would have to be packed into a file or as pictures without any compression.

Last edited by AmigaFuture; 2nd October 2017 at 01:29.
AmigaFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2017, 02:07   #26507  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparade View Post
Hello,

While BD-RB is importing and "converting the source to a compatible format" what kind of x264 settings are being used? Lossless, right?

If I remember correctly, I had asked JD about this too. I believe what he told me is that he uses a CRF of 18. But, I don't know exactly at what settings though...
Old 2nd October 2017, 07:26   #26508  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaFuture View Post
If it were lossless you'd have a much larger file than what is being imported. Lossless means without compression. Otherwise it's lossy. A DivX or XviD becomes much larger, for example. So not lossless.

Update: To be Lossless every frame would have to be packed into a file or as pictures without any compression.
I made lossless avis (50-60GB each) with Huffyuv codec in 4:2:2 YUY2 format. I just would like to know a bit about what is happening behind the very fast (it takes half an hour for a 70 minutes video) converting to x264 during import. The color space is converted to 4:2:0 YV12 I assume. The resulting structure is ~8GB so some kind of lossy encode is performed. The reencode is unnecessary at this stage because reencoding the imported source will result in a bigger filesize at a CRF value of 16. Those lossless avis are very important to me so my aim is obtaining visually lossless archives with BD-RB.
Old 2nd October 2017, 07:47   #26509  |  Link
Sharc

@mparade
Quote:
...I just would like to know a bit about what is happening behind the very fast (it takes half an hour for a 70 minutes video) converting to x264 during import. The color space is converted to 4:2:0 YV12 I assume. The resulting structure is ~8GB so some kind of lossy encode is performed.....
When your source format is accepted by TSMUXER the pseudo-BD structure will be built without re-encoding the video, means you get an exact copy.
When your source format is not accepted by TSMUXER (e.g. DivX) BD-RB will re-encode the video with CRF=18 (default) which is of course not lossless.
Finally, there are few input formats which BD-RB will not recognize and throw an error.
See also the discussion here and around here for more details.
Since v0.50.22 BD-RB accepts huffyuv etc. as well as it has been included in that list, but your source will be re-encoded and converted to AVC 4:2:0 with CRF=18 (default) unless you tweak it.

Edit:
In case you convert to 720x576i 4:3 you may watch out for the little --sar bug reported here. I trust it will get fixed in the next release....

Last edited by Sharc; 2nd October 2017 at 09:06.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2017, 12:34   #26510  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
@mparade

When your source format is accepted by TSMUXER the pseudo-BD structure will be built without re-encoding the video, means you get an exact copy.
When your source format is not accepted by TSMUXER (e.g. DivX) BD-RB will re-encode the video with CRF=18 (default) which is of course not lossless.
Finally, there are few input formats which BD-RB will not recognize and throw an error.
See also the discussion here and around here for more details.
Since v0.50.22 BD-RB accepts huffyuv etc. as well as it has been included in that list, but your source will be re-encoded and converted to AVC 4:2:0 with CRF=18 (default) unless you tweak it.

Edit:
In case you convert to 720x576i 4:3 you may watch out for the little --sar bug reported here. I trust it will get fixed in the next release....
Thanks! I have only 720x576i 4:3 Huffyuv sources to convert (import) to AVC....I hope I can overwrite the sar bug on the command line for the encode using the command line tweaks.
Old 2nd October 2017, 14:08   #26511  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparade View Post
Hello,

The default is a CRF of 18 to limit required space. But you can set it to whatever you like using IMPORT_CONVERT_CRF.
Old 2nd October 2017, 20:09   #26512  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
You will have to excuse JD... He is a great guy and a frigg'n BRILLIANT designer, but, sadly, do to firing guns and heavy artillery for many years now (he was in a gang and then in special forces) his hearing just isn't quite what it used to be...
Hah! It has nothing to do with my hearing and everything to do with science and engineering. All these lossless "HD" extensions are sucker plays... meant to get people to spend more money on equipment. Dolby's own testing shows that no human ear can distinguish between the original lossless audio and AC-3 encoded at 640Kbs. The engineers even increase the volume on "HD" channels so people think they can hear a difference. In fact the only thing you get from those "HD" audio tracks is two more channels -- and even that's a sucker play, since those two channels can be interpreted and/or created by a balance of 5.1 audio. But, hey, if you want to believe in snake oil that will cure your arthritis... more power to you. P.T. Barnum would be proud of these new audio encoding standards.

Last edited by jdobbs; 2nd October 2017 at 20:15.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2017, 06:16   #26513  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Hah! It has nothing to do with my hearing and everything to do with science and engineering. All these lossless "HD" extensions are sucker plays... meant to get people to spend more money on equipment. Dolby's own testing shows that no human ear can distinguish between the original lossless audio and AC-3 encoded at 640Kbs. The engineers even increase the volume on "HD" channels so people think they can hear a difference. In fact the only thing you get from those "HD" audio tracks is two more channels -- and even that's a sucker play, since those two channels can be interpreted and/or created by a balance of 5.1 audio. But, hey, if you want to believe in snake oil that will cure your arthritis... more power to you. P.T. Barnum would be proud of these new audio encoding standards.
I notice that you did not DENY that you were in a gang or in Special Forces...

Old 3rd October 2017, 13:27   #26514  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
I notice that you did not DENY that you were in a gang or in Special Forces...

We all have our secrets.
Old 3rd October 2017, 18:11   #26515  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

maybe he's in a gang of ex-special forces doing all sorts of dangerous and nasty stuff
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2017, 00:10   #26516  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n View Post
maybe he's in a gang of ex-special forces doing all sorts of dangerous and nasty stuff
Maybe so...

I think this BDRB thing is just a cover...
Old 4th October 2017, 00:28   #26517  |  Link
AmigaFuture

It is, Lathe, but...covering What?? Since Samhain (pronounced Sow-en) is close and this is October I'll add an "OOoooOOOooOOohhh..." sound just for you.
Old 4th October 2017, 00:47   #26518  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
What about the Super Humans that can hear stuff that well? The people that defy science. For the most part I very much agree with your comments, especially for average people.
Old 14th October 2017, 05:20   #26519  |  Link
Blurayhd

Hi all and hi dear jdobbs, first of all please excuse me because I donīt know where exactly post this question, dear people I have a big problem, (thanks to jdobbs for making possible BD rebuilder!!) So, here is the thing, For years I encoded from bd50 to bd25 a lot of Bluray titles that is very hard to find or get, and family videos too. So, that Bluray disc now some of them have in some sector of the disc illegible and I so need to get back those videos, I need to copy the contain of each bd25 to hard disk so I can burn it again on a new Bluray disc.

But I need to know dear people if you can recommend some application for testing the disc surface and with this application can copy to hard disk. I already tryied with Isobuster, Recovery Toolbox for CD Free, Cdcheck, and the Windows explorer, but some of them get the error and some of that application says the disc is good, so I just get confused

Please any one can recommend some application?

Please I hope donīt broke any rules and have a nice week end!!
Blurayhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 05:28   #26520  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurayhd View Post
Hi all and hi dear jdobbs, first of all please excuse me because I donīt know where exactly post this question, dear people I have a big problem, (thanks to jdobbs for making possible BD rebuilder!!) So, here is the thing, For years I encoded from bd50 to bd25 a lot of Bluray titles that is very hard to find or get, and family videos too. So, that Bluray disc now some of them have in some sector of the disc illegible and I so need to get back those videos, I need to copy the contain of each bd25 to hard disk so I can burn it again on a new Bluray disc.

But I need to know dear people if you can recommend some application for testing the disc surface and with this application can copy to hard disk. I already tryied with Isobuster, Recovery Toolbox for CD Free, Cdcheck, and the Windows explorer, but some of them get the error and some of that application says the disc is good, so I just get confused

Please any one can recommend some application?

Please I hope donīt broke any rules and have a nice week end!!
So, are you saying that some of the Blu-ray discs that you have burned after using BDRB (going from BD-50 to BD-25) that some of them are now 'bad'...? In other words, for some reason they don't play / copy properly? If so, that is a hard one... I have no idea what would have caused errors on the discs.

You could TRY just simply using ImgBurn to read the disc and then use it to TRY to copy it? I don't know what else to suggest, sorry...