Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 7th December 2019, 16:07   #58021  |  Link
WuNgUn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgin187 View Post
Yeh I want to get as much colour and detail from my tv as possible. 444 makes a big difference looking at these images on this forum

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/how-i...o-you.1308591/
Whatever display settings game mode gives you, should be available in other TV modes... It could be other reasons some settings are greyed out.
For example, a LOT of settings on my Samsung TV aren't available at 60Hz refresh. Once I used MadVR to match the refresh rate of the content (23.97Hz), the all the display settings became available.
Another reason my I recommended using the TV's processing for judder and smooth motion...
WuNgUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2019, 16:51   #58022  |  Link
Klaus1189

Quote:
..::too long for quoting::..
What Media Player do you use and what GPU? I need that info.
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2019, 16:59   #58023  |  Link
Morgin187

Im using madvr with mpc-hc and geforce gtx 1080. when i am able to select pc mode with the player playback everythings dark. ive changed the pc levels 0-255 and 16-235 to help but only makes a very tiny difference. the other hdmi levels are greyed out. pc mode is working during this as the chroma image you gave works like in your image. and the brown fox text is clear with proper scaling.
Morgin187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2019, 18:46   #58024  |  Link
Klaus1189

On PC mode the TV wants to be fed with 0-255. I must admit, that I don't understand the problem you have properly. When the file starts, the pc mode disappears to normal?
For eliminating colour banding go to madVR options -> rendering -> dithering
How does the black crush look? Do you use refresh rate switching?
Old 7th December 2019, 19:13   #58025  |  Link
Morgin187

ive solved the problem pc mode disappearing to normal when starting a movie with madvr. the problem now is everything is too dark ive got the tv on hdmi normal setting and 0-255 on madvr
Morgin187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2019, 19:40   #58026  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuNgUn View Post
Samsung's do a really nice job with judder reduction and smooth motion...
I wouldn't waste the GPU/CPU cycles on MadVR for this... Instead, improve image quality.
But like you said, it's a personal choice.
it barely possibile to measure the processing cost in madVR and they try to achieve something completely different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus1189 View Post
You are right, but I can not recommend Samsungs smooth motion in madVR thread
just the same name they have nothing todo with each other.

Quote:
Sorry if I知 asking too many questions but you池e helping a lot. Problem now is I choose pc mode and it gives me the two option dynamic and standard with other options greyed out on the tv so I know I知 in pc mode. But as soon as the file starts to play on madvr I知 back to normal mode being able to select movie standard vivid on tv telling me I知 not in pc mode anymore. This happens full screen and windowed playback.

Also the chroma test am I looking for blue and purple outside the numbers and solid colours inside. Or blue purple inside 422 or inside 444 or inside both. I知 doing the test in full screen 1.1 scaling. Also does this test matter in hdr

Also any settings to concentrate my GPUs power to eliminate colour banding and black crush

Thanks so much btw for help given
because Samsung can't usually do PC mode at 23p.
and let me guess if you disable PC mode at 60 hz you still can't use the frame interpoaltion thingy in your TV because it is a 60 hz panel meaning 23p is is a hoax too? with modern Samsung the majority has this issue.

Quote:
You WANT to use PC mode for playing media??
usually the most accurate mode with 4.4:4 support so making it obviously something you want if you care about an accurate image.
Quote:
Whatever display settings game mode gives you, should be available in other TV modes... It could be other reasons some settings are greyed out.
For example, a LOT of settings on my Samsung TV aren't available at 60Hz refresh. Once I used MadVR to match the refresh rate of the content (23.97Hz), the all the display settings became available.
Another reason my I recommended using the TV's processing for judder and smooth motion...
do as you please just sad that most Samsung can't display a 23p file correctly.

Quote:
Im using madvr with mpc-hc and geforce gtx 1080. when i am able to select pc mode with the player playback everythings dark. ive changed the pc levels 0-255 and 16-235 to help but only makes a very tiny difference. the other hdmi levels are greyed out. pc mode is working during this as the chroma image you gave works like in your image. and the brown fox text is clear with proper scaling.
try this on a desktop with the GPU at 0-255: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

tell me what you see.

same here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...libration.html

the basic settings -> 1-Black Clipping.mp4
again tell me what you see all with the GPU at 0-255.

Quote:
ive solved the problem pc mode disappearing to normal when starting a movie with madvr. the problem now is everything is too dark ive got the tv on hdmi normal setting and 0-255 on madvr
pretty sure normal is wrong with a GPU at 0-255. but they use what ever names they want with these option i guess "deep" was full range for Samsung.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2019, 19:45   #58027  |  Link
Klaus1189

Well, looks I am not needed anymore, with my Samsung which can't do 23p ...
Old 7th December 2019, 19:52   #58028  |  Link
huhn

just check it: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2019, 20:24   #58029  |  Link
WuNgUn

@Huhn
From what I know of Samsung TV's, running in game mode makes concession to image quality and motion backlighting for the sake of low latency.
I would recommend against it

Edit: my bad....misunderstood PC colours and game mode on the TV. Obviously not the same thing!

Last edited by WuNgUn; 7th December 2019 at 20:36.
Old 7th December 2019, 20:34   #58030  |  Link
Klaus1189

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
And what is there?

My model is fine. I checked rtings before buying it.
Old 7th December 2019, 20:49   #58031  |  Link
WuNgUn

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post

try this on a desktop with the GPU at 0-255: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

tell me what you see
For me, RGB full at 8 bits, the blacks are indistinguishable...
Going to YCbCr 422 gives me all the blacks...
Going 444 messes everything up in playback... Maybe a driver issue?
Does this...

Old 8th December 2019, 00:12   #58032  |  Link
WuNgUn

In fact, both ycbcr color setting mess up video playback now!
Ugh!
Old 8th December 2019, 00:48   #58033  |  Link
Asmodian

You need a limited range RGB option? That cannot be right. Something must be messed up.
Old 8th December 2019, 01:03   #58034  |  Link
WuNgUn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
You need a limited range RGB option? That cannot be right. Something must be messed up.
Yeah, I have a limited and full range RGB mode...
But that doesn't display black levels properly.
Reverted to an older driver and running 4:4:2 at 10 bit now without issue.
Old 8th December 2019, 11:08   #58035  |  Link
Asterra

Hey all. What's the trick to preventing MadVR-slash-MPC-BE (latest versions) from adjusting the refresh rate on fullscreen? I turned this on for a little while, discovered either Nvidia or Windows 10 can't output 24Hz to my TV without zooming the desktop in slightly, and now I want to just return to bad old 60Hz. The problem is that even though I've turned off all the options that turned the thing on, it's ignoring me and changing the refresh rate to the video's framerate regardless, meaning for the time being I can't use fullscreen.

(And obviously if anyone has insight into why the desktop is being zoomed in when I pick 23,24,25,50Hz, that would potentially be even more helpful. But it's outside the scope of this thread.)
Asterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2019, 11:29   #58036  |  Link
Klaus1189

What is your TV? There is an issue of Samsung TV with latest new version 1290 at least on 50 Hz, didn't test 23Hz and 24 Hz mode.

It depends of where you entered the refresh rates to be changed, this can be eiter in MPC-BE oder madVR, lookup each options and remove the entered values.
Old 8th December 2019, 11:33   #58037  |  Link
Asterra

Quote:
What is your TV? There is an issue of Samsung TV with latest new version 1290 at least on 50 Hz, didn't test 23Hz and 24 Hz mode.
Fair point. Samsung Q70R, and yeah it auto-updated to the latest I'll try another factory reset. You happen to recall where people were talking about this issue? I had eliminated the TV as the culprit because 24Hz (etc.) output from the Nvidia Shield did not get zoomed in; it displayed frame-perfect as expected.

Quote:
It depends of where you entered the refresh rates to be changed, this can be eiter in MPC-BE oder madVR, lookup each options and remove the entered values.
I made that change in MPC-BE. It's reverted. If the option also exists in madVR then I'm simply blind.
Old 8th December 2019, 11:40   #58038  |  Link
Klaus1189

Yes yesterday, go from this post on https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...12#post1892212
Old 8th December 2019, 11:47   #58039  |  Link
Klaus1189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterra View Post
I'll try another factory reset.
It doesn't help, I tried it, and there is no way downgrade the firmware, Samsung support told me that.

At least my Q9FN is still on 1270 and working just fine. Only waiting helps for devices already updated to 1290.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterra View Post
If the option also exists in madVR then I'm simply blind.
here the list all displaymodes... in madVR options
Old 8th December 2019, 11:49   #58040  |  Link
Asterra

Quote:
(Ignore this) Well I'm over the moon. Factory reset did indeed make the 24Hz problem go away. I guess now the trick is to figure out what's the last software update that didn't make things to to s***. And where to get it.

Edit: Nope, I misinterpreted what I was seeing. The display started out in 24Hz due to not being identified, and during this moment only, it was displaying the full desktop. The moment I changed refresh rate to 60, that was the end of my reprieve. Factory reset did not revert the software.

Last edited by Asterra; 8th December 2019 at 12:08.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling