Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Old 21st October 2020, 22:05   #1  |  Link
jriker1

ffmpeg bitrate variable?

was looking to bulk convert some files and reduce the bitrate to 60% of original. Thought I could use ffmpeg but in order to do this quickly would need ffmpeg to be able to read the bitrate which I thought may be in a bit_rate variable and multiply it by .60 and pass that to ffmpeg for the bitrate to encode in. Is this possible? Thought bit_rate was a variable but wasn't sure or how to use it in ffmpeg.
jriker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2020, 21:22   #2  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Use a combination of ffprobe/mediainfo and ffmpeg in a script. Python and Bash are both popular for stuff like this. Python has a big community and is easy to learn
Blue_MiSfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2020, 19:20   #3  |  Link
jriker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit View Post
Use a combination of ffprobe/mediainfo and ffmpeg in a script. Python and Bash are both popular for stuff like this. Python has a big community and is easy to learn
Thanks. I went with C# for this. Tried batch, tried PowerShell, both of those had issues with square brackets in the file/folder names, and other characters. C# didn't have those challenges and left me a lot more room to code with faster.
jriker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ffmpeg