Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 20th July 2018, 22:22   #51821  |  Link
Asmodian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkohman View Post
Hi Guys.. I have a question that I hope you can help me understand better... I'm moving from 16:9 to a 2.39:1 screen and was wondering what madVR masking does and how it's used? Would appreciate if this could please be explained.. Many thanks
This simply sets some of the screen area to black. It is intended for projectors which can have some image area overhang the screen.

This is the first example image I found, the blue line on the wall could be eliminated by setting up madVR's masking.


I don't think it is useful for an ideal screen of any aspect ratio.
__________________
madVR options explained
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2018, 22:28   #51822  |  Link
mkohman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
This simply sets some of the screen area to black. It is intended for projectors which can have some image area overhang the screen.

This is the first example image I found, the blue line on the wall could be eliminated by setting up madVR's masking.


I don't think it is useful for an ideal screen of any aspect ratio.
Right.. So its basically for any spillage to the left or right of the screen? I thought it was to do with the black bars on a scope movie..?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
mkohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2018, 22:31   #51823  |  Link
Asmodian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 3,257
It could be the top or bottom too. Zoom Control, with its black bar detection, is for black bars. Masking is for this issue.
__________________
madVR options explained
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2018, 22:42   #51824  |  Link
mkohman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
It could be the top or bottom too. Zoom Control, with its black bar detection, is for black bars. Masking is for this issue.
Ah.. I see. Can you please elaborate on the zoom control feature? I will be using my JVC to zoom in to fill the scope screen and the Black bars will be shooting above and below the screen.. What will the zoom control in madVR do for me? Sorry for the questions and thank you for your help..

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
mkohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2018, 04:40   #51825  |  Link
SamuriHL
Registered User
 
SamuriHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,956
Well that was definitely fun! I clean installed the latest nVidia driver and set up madvr for 4K HDR. WOW! What an absolutely amazing experience that is on the LG C8 OLED! madvr just impresses me more and more. Of course because I've run into some subtitle issues with the later builds of madvr I'm still using a slightly older build so I can't wait for the next build to get all the latest fixes and options. But I'm VERY glad I jumped to 4K. Thank you, madshi, awesome work as always!
__________________
HTPC: Windows 10, I7 3770k, GTX 1060, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX303, LG C8 65" OLED
Laptop: MSI GT70 Dominator (Optimus)
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2018, 05:12   #51826  |  Link
Asmodian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkohman View Post
Ah.. I see. Can you please elaborate on the zoom control feature? I will be using my JVC to zoom in to fill the scope screen and the Black bars will be shooting above and below the screen.. What will the zoom control in madVR do for me?
It simply crops/zooms the black bars away before the rest of the rending path. When cropping it even improves performance and you can have madVR output to an anamorphic lens at full resolution.
__________________
madVR options explained
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2018, 05:34   #51827  |  Link
mkohman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
It simply crops/zooms the black bars away before the rest of the rending path. When cropping it even improves performance and you can have madVR output to an anamorphic lens at full resolution.
Thanks for the reply.. I will be using my projectors zoom and lens memory function to fill out the 2.39:1 screen not an anamorphic lens. Will this feature still be usable for me or not necessary? Thanks

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
mkohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2018, 15:52   #51828  |  Link
Warner306
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkohman View Post
Thanks for the reply.. I will be using my projectors zoom and lens memory function to fill out the 2.39:1 screen not an anamorphic lens. Will this feature still be usable for me or not necessary? Thanks

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
You might get a better result if you let madVR handle the zoom. Easy enough to do and worth trying.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2018, 19:13   #51829  |  Link
Asmodian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 3,257
I agree, zooming with the lens means the pixels must get bigger on the screen. Better to let madVR do it and keep your PPI up.
__________________
madVR options explained
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2018, 20:42   #51830  |  Link
Siso
Registered User
 
Siso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 353
Does anyone know what is causing 1 presentation glitch only? I changed one sharpener in the upscaling refinement options, went from adaptive sharpen to crispen edges, and I got 1 presentation glitch...I didn't have any with adaptive sharpen.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2018, 20:55   #51831  |  Link
Asmodian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 3,257
What do you mean by "got 1 presentation glitch?" Do you mean once per playback?
__________________
madVR options explained
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2018, 21:00   #51832  |  Link
Siso
Registered User
 
Siso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
What do you mean by "got 1 presentation glitch?" Do you mean once per playback?
One presentation glitch during playback of a movie.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2018, 21:34   #51833  |  Link
Asmodian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 3,257
And you reset the OSD after playback starts? I would never worry about a single presentation glitch if it only happens during startup.

If it is happening after the first second or two, but only once per movie, it is probably performance related is some way. There are a lot of things that could cause one presentation glitch during a movie. Crispen edges is a tiny bit harder than AdaptiveSharpen (without anti-bloating).

Have your tried enabling/disabling D3D11, present a frame for every v-sync, or windowed overlay (make sure d3d11 is off when enabling overlay)? Those can give you a tiny bit of extra headroom but you cannot use the reported rendering times to judge them. You have to see how many glitches or frame drops you get when using each setting.
__________________
madVR options explained
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2018, 21:49   #51834  |  Link
Siso
Registered User
 
Siso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
And you reset the OSD after playback starts? I would never worry about a single presentation glitch if it only happens during startup.

If it is happening after the first second or two, but only once per movie, it is probably performance related is some way. There are a lot of things that could cause one presentation glitch during a movie. Crispen edges is a tiny bit harder than AdaptiveSharpen (without anti-bloating).

Have your tried enabling/disabling D3D11, present a frame for every v-sync, or windowed overlay (make sure d3d11 is off when enabling overlay)? Those can give you a tiny bit of extra headroom but you cannot use the reported rendering times to judge them. You have to see how many glitches or frame drops you get when using each setting.
The presentation glitch occurs around 10-20 min during playback, I always reset the stats when I go in fullscreen. I use D3D9, with D3D11 I get triple times higher present stats (0,08 ms in D3D9 vs 0,39 ms). I'm on windows 7 64 bit.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2018, 22:42   #51835  |  Link
mkohman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
You might get a better result if you let madVR handle the zoom. Easy enough to do and worth trying.
Thanks will definitely give it a go

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
mkohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2018, 00:44   #51836  |  Link
Asmodian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
I use D3D9, with D3D11 I get triple times higher present stats (0,08 ms in D3D9 vs 0,39 ms). I'm on windows 7 64 bit.
I would not consider that difference to be at all useful when deciding between D3D9 and D3D11. They are measured in different ways by madVR, anything <1ms is the same as far as we know or care. Even if it was real, why do you care if present takes 300Ás longer if it is more stable?

If using D3D9 let you use higher settings without drops or glitches it would be a good reason to use it but looking at the reported rendering and/or present times is not.

You are sure nothing is using your GPU every 10-20 minutes? No desktop slideshow or anything?
__________________
madVR options explained
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2018, 08:54   #51837  |  Link
Siso
Registered User
 
Siso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I would not consider that difference to be at all useful when deciding between D3D9 and D3D11. They are measured in different ways by madVR, anything <1ms is the same as far as we know or care. Even if it was real, why do you care if present takes 300Ás longer if it is more stable?

If using D3D9 let you use higher settings without drops or glitches it would be a good reason to use it but looking at the reported rendering and/or present times is not.

You are sure nothing is using your GPU every 10-20 minutes? No desktop slideshow or anything?
I will test with D3D11, no desktop slideshow I doubt anything is interfering with the playback, cause before I didn't have presentation glitch. Maybe it is from the drivers 382.53 the card is GTX 1050 Ti.

Last edited by Siso; 22nd July 2018 at 09:06.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2018, 11:09   #51838  |  Link
Manni
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
I will test with D3D11, no desktop slideshow I doubt anything is interfering with the playback, cause before I didn't have presentation glitch. Maybe it is from the drivers 382.53 the card is GTX 1050 Ti.
Try 385.28
__________________
Win 10 Pro x64 V1803 MCE add-on
i7 3770K@4.2Ghz 16Gb@2.1Ghz EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 11Gb@2GHz 416.81 RGB Full 12bits
MPC-BE / LAV / MadVR / MyMovies V5.24
Denon X8500H>Vertex>JVC RS500/X7000
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2018, 11:42   #51839  |  Link
Siso
Registered User
 
Siso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
Try 385.28
A week ago I did, and I had video glitches and flicker in the desktop. So I rolled back to 382.53.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2018, 16:33   #51840  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo
 
LigH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Germany, rural Altmark
Posts: 5,648
After a lot of testing, I found the reason for my delay issue.

I should not try to watch a video in boredom while having a D3D11 game in the background, waiting for a long process to finish. Not even when it's minimized down to the task bar.

Without any GPU-competing application, madVR appears almost immediately, and D3D9 overlay is fine for the basic videos and hardware I have.
__________________

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.