Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 15th November 2018, 15:56   #101  |  Link
jonatans
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitator View Post
xvc v2.0 2018-09-23 #d3e8b46

There is no "-explicit-encoder-settings "aqp_strength 16"" ?
In xvc, internal encoder settings (settings that control how decisions and evaluations are made in the encoder) are exposed via the "-explicit-encoder-settings" cli parameter. These settings are primarily intended for development purposes and are not intended to be modified by the user and that is why this setting is not shown in the printout.

The full list of settings that can be modified by the "-explicit-encoder-settings" parameter can be found in the ParseExplicitSettings function in encoder_settings.cc.

We used this setting to generate the encode for our online demo (at https://www.divideon.com/products-an...ming-with-xvc/) as described in https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...72#post1832272. This was done in order to more closely meet the bitrate target. The difference in bitrate between two "-qp" steps are typically in the order of 12% so aqp_strength can be used to generate bitrate points in between.
__________________
Jonatan Samuelsson
Co-founder and CEO at Divideon

www.divideon.com | xvc.io
jonatans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2018, 17:26   #102  |  Link
Gravitator
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonatans View Post
Sounds interesting but it's not something we have looked in to. Is this a capability that is available for any other codecs in ffmpeg? Can you provide an example?
Привет!
I have a 50% load of coding can suddenly jump into 100% (the system squeaks) for a long time, then go back to 50%.
A pause can give: a breather, give a use for other heavy programs, it is possible that it will allow back to reduce the load (there may be a conflict of processes, or is it a feature of the coder's floating load ...).
Or we can wait for separate scripts, GUI with a pause.
Gravitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2018, 10:09   #103  |  Link
jonatans
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitator View Post
Привет!
I have a 50% load of coding can suddenly jump into 100% (the system squeaks) for a long time, then go back to 50%.
A pause can give: a breather, give a use for other heavy programs, it is possible that it will allow back to reduce the load (there may be a conflict of processes, or is it a feature of the coder's floating load ...).
Or we can wait for separate scripts, GUI with a pause.
I see. The mutlithreading in the xvc software is so far entirely based on picture-level parallelism and it will encode as many pictures as it can in parallel, as long as they don't depend on each other. The prediction structure of reference pictures will cause the processor load to sometimes go down while waiting for new reference pictures to be completed.

If you want to ensure that your processor load never reaches 100% you can set the -threads parameter to a value that is lower than the number of cores available on your system. But this will of course also increase the encoding time somewhat.
__________________
Jonatan Samuelsson
Co-founder and CEO at Divideon

www.divideon.com | xvc.io
jonatans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2018, 23:47   #104  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти
 
foxyshadis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lost
Posts: 9,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitator View Post
Can you add the ability to pause xvc coding in ffmpeg?
Are you on Windows? Just press the pause key in the command window and FFmpeg will stop feeding the encoder frames until you press it again.

Pausing happens through the application ideally, not individual codecs inside of it.
__________________
There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order. ~ Ed Howdershelt
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2018, 11:55   #105  |  Link
Gravitator
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
Are you on Windows?
Win10x64
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
Just press the pause key in the command window and FFmpeg will stop feeding the encoder frames until you press it again.
There is no reaction to pressing the Pause key.
Gravitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2019, 14:48   #106  |  Link
Vin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1
XVC is simply the best codec right now. Able to beat HEVC and AV1. But the real question. Is there a chance that the codec is going to actually be usable for anything other than just testing any time soon? Browser support, player support?
Any kind of hope?
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2019, 18:06   #107  |  Link
Selur
Registered User
 
Selur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Germany
Posts: 5,707
decoding support in ffmpeg/libav would be great
__________________
Hybrid here in the forum, homepage
Selur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2019, 18:11   #108  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hamburg/Germany
Posts: 9,494
If you want widespread decode support, there should be a royalty free license for decoding-only. Let content distribution pay the bills.

But there also is no content, and without getting any major content distributor on board it's mostly irrelevant anyway.
__________________
LAV Filters - open source ffmpeg based media splitter and decoders
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2019, 10:55   #109  |  Link
hajj_3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
XVC is simply the best codec right now. Able to beat HEVC and AV1. But the real question. Is there a chance that the codec is going to actually be usable for anything other than just testing any time soon? Browser support, player support?
Any kind of hope?
H.266/VVC is due to be ratified in October 2020, that will provide a large compression advantage over AV1. If the creator of XVC wants to make some money then he should patent any tools that are great that he has created then submit those tools to the MPEG-LA for inclusion in the H.266/VVC standard. He could earn a decent amount from that and a lot of people would benefit due to how widespread the codec will be.
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2019, 14:13   #110  |  Link
iwod
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajj_3 View Post
H.266/VVC is due to be ratified in October 2020, that will provide a large compression advantage over AV1. If the creator of XVC wants to make some money then he should patent any tools that are great that he has created then submit those tools to the MPEG-LA for inclusion in the H.266/VVC standard. He could earn a decent amount from that and a lot of people would benefit due to how widespread the codec will be.
I think many part of xvc are what VVC will be, so it is like a head start into a commercial implementation.
iwod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 17:21   #111  |  Link
Gravitator
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 143
Have a fresh build? And advise good settings for encoding in the 8000kbit/s range (Park_Joy).
__________________
Win10x64, Pentium E6600, GTX 750 2GB, DDR3 8GB.
Gravitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
codec, compression, video codec, video encoding, xvc

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.