Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 7th May 2018, 08:10   #50761  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammerz View Post
If it were possible, madshi would have implemented those overrides already.

As for other workarounds and "tweaks", you are at the mercy of the drivers as Warner states.
People have had success using DDU and re-installing. Others have had to use other versions, and some simply cannot get it to work at all.
One thing that you have probably already done: make sure to switch to a mode that you are not trying to modify/add. Switch to a completely different resolution in Windows before trying the custom resolution steps. Making sure to remove any existing customizations.
Yes, tried DDU, clean installs... That didn't work.
Switch to a completely different resolution before applying the custom timings for 1080p. I did not try that. I only tried from a different refresh rate. That is a good idea. Will try that.

Last edited by FDisk80; 7th May 2018 at 11:20.
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 11:14   #50762  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
I think the suggestion was based on the fact that the 1050ti has an on-board hi-res decoder, while the 1060 does not.
This is not true.
Harware video decoding is exactly the same in 1060 and 1050Ti (VP8 generation).

Thanks to everybody chiming in in the 3GB vs. 6GB matter.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 11:35   #50763  |  Link
huhn

they have a relative small difference.

the 1030, 1050, 1050 ti and 1080 ti have a "better" decoder that can decode VP9 profile 2.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 12:48   #50764  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

I've worked around the Windows 10 April 2018 Update problem (with the queues not filling up) by making some dummy profiles that use the inexpensive default scaling algorithms, and activating them "if (1 == 1)" (which is obviously always true). Hopefully madshi will be able to work around Microsoft's latest buffoonery.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 14:10   #50765  |  Link
mrmojo666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
I've worked around the Windows 10 April 2018 Update problem (with the queues not filling up) by making some dummy profiles that use the inexpensive default scaling algorithms, and activating them "if (1 == 1)" (which is obviously always true). Hopefully madshi will be able to work around Microsoft's latest buffoonery.
In my system, to get rid of problems introduced by last spring update i needed just to uninstall AMD 18.4.1 (they claim this driver is for spring update) using DDU, then reistalled latest official amd 18.2.1. Now all goes perfectly again and i see lower timing.
mrmojo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 14:23   #50766  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojo666 View Post
In my system, to get rid of problems introduced by last spring update i needed just to uninstall AMD 18.4.1 (they claim this driver is for spring update) using DDU, then reistalled latest official amd 18.2.1. Now all goes perfectly again and i see lower timing.
Interesting. Unfortunately I have an Nvidia card (GeForce GTX 1080) and I see the problems both with pre-update drivers (391.35) and post-update drivers (397.55).
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 15:02   #50767  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
Interesting. Unfortunately I have an Nvidia card (GeForce GTX 1080) and I see the problems both with pre-update drivers (391.35) and post-update drivers (397.55).
My solution has been to use an older MadVr build and use NNEDI3 128 settings. I hope Madshi have the time to look into this when I comes back.
Old 7th May 2018, 16:29   #50768  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojo666 View Post
Ive had issues with everything 18.3x onwards, 18.2.2 is my current stable.

I tried 18.4.1 thought, its shafted FSE for me, black screens and loss of HDMI all over the place.

With not being a gamer though its fine to just sit on an old driver and just enjoy my HTPC.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 17:25   #50769  |  Link
mrmojo666

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
Ive had issues with everything 18.3x onwards, 18.2.2 is my current stable.

I tried 18.4.1 thought, its shafted FSE for me, black screens and loss of HDMI all over the place.

With not being a gamer though its fine to just sit on an old driver and just enjoy my HTPC.
yes i remember our discussions.
the 18.4.x are not only for games , they should support 1803 win10 and should activate DRM for 4k netflix. But they mess all things with 1803 plus netflix still 1080 lol
mrmojo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 21:32   #50770  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammerz View Post
Switch to a completely different resolution in Windows before trying the custom resolution steps. Making sure to remove any existing customizations.
Tried it now, no go. Still same error. "Rejected by driver."
Oh well, it was a long shot.
Old 8th May 2018, 01:08   #50771  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
Tried it now, no go. Still same error. "Rejected by driver."
Oh well, it was a long shot.
I also have a GTX 1080. I get around this problem using the utility CRU (which stands for "Custom Resolution Utility"). I use it to create a 23.976 custom resolution (and others as well), which madVR can then use and optimize. It works at the OS level, not the GPU driver level, and so bypasses the Nvidia quirk.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2018, 02:51   #50772  |  Link
har3inger

Guys, I found out the solution for the FSE flicker/freeze on 1803.

It's Focus Assist bugging out. Even if it's off, you need to make sure all the options underneath it are disabled. You can find the relevant page by typing focus assist into the start menu.
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2018, 07:28   #50773  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
I also have a GTX 1080. I get around this problem using the utility CRU (which stands for "Custom Resolution Utility"). I use it to create a 23.976 custom resolution (and others as well), which madVR can then use and optimize. It works at the OS level, not the GPU driver level, and so bypasses the Nvidia quirk.
Hmm, I tried it before but I was getting the same error with madVR.
Can you share please what you did in CRU to override this issue?

Maybe I did something wrong in CRU.
Old 8th May 2018, 09:00   #50774  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
Hmm, I tried it before but I was getting the same error with madVR.
Can you share please what you did in CRU to override this issue?

Maybe I did something wrong in CRU.
I don't do anything special, except make sure the OS is showing only the display's native resolutions--no madVR, Nvidia, or CRU custom ones--before I start. The CRU "reset-all.exe" will accomplish that.

I'm using a DisplayPort connection. If you're using HDMI, make sure the HDMI block is included in your CRU custom res. CRU should add it automatically, but double-check.
Old 8th May 2018, 09:08   #50775  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
I don't do anything special, except make sure the OS is showing only the display's native resolutions--no madVR, Nvidia, or CRU custom ones--before I start. The CRU "reset-all.exe" will accomplish that.

I'm using a DisplayPort connection. If you're using HDMI, make sure the HDMI block is included in your CRU custom res. CRU should add it automatically, but double-check.
What do you mean by HDMI block?
Old 8th May 2018, 10:00   #50776  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Probably a display control data block...

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2018, 10:06   #50777  |  Link
Siso

Quote:

In my case using displayport, I have to always add extension block, new CRU versions don't add it automaticly.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2018, 14:59   #50778  |  Link
Clown shoes
King of the Jungle

Quote:

Where does one check to see if the HDMI block is included?
Clown shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2018, 17:23   #50779  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown shoes View Post
Where does one check to see if the HDMI block is included?
There's an Extension Block area below the list of standard resolutions. Click "Add" and then Add again in the lower box of the dialog. It'll pop up a list of extension blocks that includes HDMI and HDMI 2.0. Choose whichever version you're using.

That's if it's not already showing on the main screen, which it should be.
Old 8th May 2018, 19:14   #50780  |  Link
Sunset1982

I just build my new htpc with an amd rx480 on win10 (1709) with adrenalin 18.2.2 and latest madvr.

Works fine, except for the automatic hdr switching. it doesn't switch into hdr mode when a hdr file is played. Is there not automatic hdr mode on amd or ist something wrong with my setup?

LG 4K OLED (55C7D)
Sunset1982 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling