Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 16th May 2009, 14:34   #841  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticE View Post
Tried converting a PAL 4:3LB VOB (music vid) to 16:9 NTSC all went well except for the 'Trim' function (to cut a logo off the end).

It looked right in the Preview but the final conversion, although shorter than the original, 3mn 29s-> 3mn 25s, was not short enough.
Mmmh, you trimmed @ frame 5130 that is exactly 3m25s (PAL) while full clip has 5236 frames or 3m29s, so I cannot see what AVStoDVD did wrong.

Could you check again? Have you already used the Trim function in AVStoDVD with/without problems?

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
MrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2009, 20:32   #842  |  Link
turbojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC View Post
Thanks for the cosmetic bugs report! I will fix them.
Your welcome.

Quote:
I really would like to do that. The main barrier is that I do not have a BD reader nor bluray discs... But I believe that some good HD clips could be enough. Could you point me where to download them on the web (yes, I'm a very lazy guy...)?
I uploaded 2 samples here bluray.zip contains a typical bluray with different types of audio, a sub stream and chapters. seamless.zip contains a not so typical seamless branching bluray that has 1 mpls (playlist) that points to many m2ts. The mpls contains the chapter info so I'd imagine you'd need to add support for mpls input and actually MPC-HC gets the longest playlist from the bdmv files somehow so maybe you could add support for BD input in the same way. Both methods should allow for seamless branching BD's. Demuxing all streams with eac3to to an mkv then using mkv input is the best way I can think of handling seamless branched titles currently.

Quote:
CCE 2.5 and 2.6x (thru EclCCE) were supported in the early AVStoDVD releases (till 1.1.3). Then I removed the support because I wanted to use/push only 100% free software

Bye
Oh ok, do you have any plans of adding functionality for 2.7 and SP2 in the future?

I currently have converted a few BD to DVD but it's fairly long and tedious doing it all manually as you can see but I also only use CCE as I paid $50 for it and figure I may as well use it. Also I do often get noticably better results, albeit mostly small, then I do with free encoders that's not to take anything away from free encoders which also do a really good job.

MysticE: you mean mediainfo should report it as 23.976? I agree as that pulldown could be any framerate at or below 29.97 but it should also mention that it has pulldown to be most accurate. Best place to mention it is on the mediainfo tracker at SF

Last edited by turbojet; 16th May 2009 at 21:22.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2009, 02:10   #843  |  Link
Surf
Senior Kindergarten

Hi Mr.C,

The new version does not ask for time anymore....does ask for which audio track to use out of sooo many, thanks!

The very first time I used the program, I was prompted about ffdshow and overlay mixer....please clarify for I probably chose a wrong choice. When previewing, the audio went scratchy...

I tried a VC1 m2ts....the preview said something about line 8 of the avisynth. Yet you allow us to choose a2dsource, directshowsource, avisource....It is theDDS that I was successful in making my own manual backup not thru avs2dvd. Maybe prompting the user to inform the prog whether it is a avc or vc1 is a good idea? Maybe not, for Mediainfo should tell you that...

How about adding Spline32resize based on other posts...

TIA

P.S. how about using your preview screen to choose the specific point for chapters instead of just specific time...5min...?

Lol @meself with P.S.

Last edited by Surf; 17th May 2009 at 02:12. Reason: P.S.
Surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2009, 16:43   #844  |  Link
hlrsnd

I tried out the May 15 alpha-beta today. It worked fine on my very complex Avisynth script.

For me, the ability to use Avisynth scripts is huge. No longer do I need to make intermediate .avi files. Thank you so much. For me, AVStoDVD now lives up to its name; you can go directly from .avs files to DVD.

Some time ago, I tried several other (paid) programs which supposedly went directly from .avs to DVD, namely ConvertXtoDVD and TMPGEnc's Authoring Works. They both crashed. I also tried DVD Flick. It was very slow and didn't work right. For me AVStoDVD is better than any of these.

Now, a hopefully easy request. Make Options->Preferences->Save current Preferences as default apply for future projects. I believe that's the intent but for me it doesn't work. For every project, I have to change from PAL to NTSC, Chapter Interval from 5 to 999 minutes, etc., etc.
hlrsnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 19:37   #845  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
I uploaded 2 samples here bluray.zip contains a typical bluray with different types of audio, a sub stream and chapters. seamless.zip contains a not so typical seamless branching bluray that has 1 mpls (playlist) that points to many m2ts. The mpls contains the chapter info so I'd imagine you'd need to add support for mpls input and actually MPC-HC gets the longest playlist from the bdmv files somehow so maybe you could add support for BD input in the same way. Both methods should allow for seamless branching BD's. Demuxing all streams with eac3to to an mkv then using mkv input is the best way I can think of handling seamless branched titles currently.
Thanks! I hope to have them analyzed ASAP.

Quote:
Oh ok, do you have any plans of adding functionality for 2.7 and SP2 in the future?
Well, I must admit that my ToDo list is long enough to add also new CCE releases support... BTW, AVStoDVD is open source, so any contribution is absolutely welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
The very first time I used the program, I was prompted about ffdshow and overlay mixer....please clarify for I probably chose a wrong choice. When previewing, the audio went scratchy...
I think that best ffdshow output mixer setup is 'same as input', because it is the more generic one. The prompt is to change default ffdshow setting in this way. You can accept, skip or tell AVStoDVD to not disturb anymore.

Quote:
I tried a VC1 m2ts....the preview said something about line 8 of the avisynth. Yet you allow us to choose a2dsource, directshowsource, avisource....It is theDDS that I was successful in making my own manual backup not thru avs2dvd. Maybe prompting the user to inform the prog whether it is a avc or vc1 is a good idea? Maybe not, for Mediainfo should tell you that...
I really cannot understand what is the problem. Start by posting the full AviSynth error message.

Quote:
How about adding Spline32resize based on other posts...
Yes, I can, but what are really the advantages vs Spline16?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrsnd View Post
Now, a hopefully easy request. Make Options->Preferences->Save current Preferences as default apply for future projects. I believe that's the intent but for me it doesn't work. For every project, I have to change from PAL to NTSC, Chapter Interval from 5 to 999 minutes, etc., etc.
Do you mean put 'Save current preferences as default' toggled on by default? No, I do prefer the user to be aware that he is making new "standards".
About not working, please check again because it should work (are you sure you have toggle on the option?).

Guys, what about the new multipage menu support? Have you tried it? Any issues/suggestions?

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 18th May 2009, 21:58   #846  |  Link
turbojet

OK thanks, let me know if you need anything else and I'll try to provide it.

I'll take a look at the source code however I must admit that outside of batch and basic bash scripts I haven't had any success with programming except for following tutorials.

Multipage menu support is nice however I don't know about the left and right arrow placements, for some reason I think I might like them on the left and right side of the screen but some overscan might cut them off. This works though and it's probably the most typical spot for them on retail DVD's.

Speaking of menus, while current menus are really nice for multi-clip projects like tv series however when it's a single movie I don't find it very beneficial currently. This could all change though with a scene selection type menu that has instead of a play all button a play button that's default. The captions could read something like 'chapter 10 (1:05:31)' where chapter 10 starts at 1:05:31 into the movie. Would something like this be possible?

Maybe eventually could add a language selection type sub menu that lets you select which audio/subs to use?
Old 18th May 2009, 22:27   #847  |  Link
hlrsnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC View Post
Do you mean put 'Save current preferences as default' toggled on by default? No, I do prefer the user to be aware that he is making new "standards".
About not working, please check again because it should work (are you sure you have toggle on the option?).

Guys, what about the new multipage menu support? Have you tried it? Any issues/suggestions?

Bye
Regarding my comment about "Save current Preferences as default," it doesn't make those current preferences the default for future projects. I would like it to do so.

AVStoDVD is currently set up for PAL. I use NTSC settings. Every time I start a new project, I have to change all settings to NTSC. "Save current Preferences as default" makes no difference for future projects, currently. I would like to make an NTSC project, save its preferences as the default, and have future projects open with those (NTSC in my case) settings.

I think the multipage menus are great. It looked like maybe the bottom parts of some text were cut off when using 6 columns with 2 lines of text. I switched to 5 columns and it looked better.
Old 19th May 2009, 09:39   #848  |  Link
MysticE

Quote:
AVStoDVD is currently set up for PAL. I use NTSC settings. Every time I start a new project, I have to change all settings to NTSC. "Save current Preferences as default" makes no difference for future projects, currently. I would like to make an NTSC project, save its preferences as the default, and have future projects open with those (NTSC in my case) settings.
I have not found that to be the case. Mine stays on NTSC, along with the other settings I've changed.
MysticE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 23:47   #849  |  Link
hlrsnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticE View Post
I have not found that to be the case. Mine stays on NTSC, along with the other settings I've changed.
Interesting. I'm running XP SP3 as a limited user. Could that make a difference? Haven't tried it as administrator.
Old 20th May 2009, 01:59   #850  |  Link
hlrsnd

Quote:
Interesting. I'm running XP SP3 as a limited user. Could that make a difference? Haven't tried it as administrator.
To answer my own question, I tried running AVStoDVD as Administrator. I was able to set new Default Preferences, close the program, and reopen it with the same Preferences. That's what I wanted.

Then I ran AVStoDVD as a limited user, as I usually do. The new Preferences were now the default. As before, I could change them temporarily, but when I closed the program and restarted, my changes were gone. All settings were back to what I set as Admin.

So, Feature Request: Allow per-user Preference settings, including non-admin users.
Old 20th May 2009, 22:07   #851  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Speaking of menus, while current menus are really nice for multi-clip projects like tv series however when it's a single movie I don't find it very beneficial currently. This could all change though with a scene selection type menu that has instead of a play all button a play button that's default. The captions could read something like 'chapter 10 (1:05:31)' where chapter 10 starts at 1:05:31 into the movie. Would something like this be possible?

Maybe eventually could add a language selection type sub menu that lets you select which audio/subs to use?
Both of suggestions make sense. A more professional dvd authoring software would have them. We need the help of Sir Didymus (BatchMux author) to expand BatchMux capabilities to support those features. SD, that's your matter

Quote:
To answer my own question, I tried running AVStoDVD as Administrator. I was able to set new Default Preferences, close the program, and reopen it with the same Preferences. That's what I wanted.

Then I ran AVStoDVD as a limited user, as I usually do. The new Preferences were now the default. As before, I could change them temporarily, but when I closed the program and restarted, my changes were gone. All settings were back to what I set as Admin.

So, Feature Request: Allow per-user Preference settings, including non-admin users.
The issue comes out because AVStoDVD stores its settings in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AVStoDVD. HKLM is a registry hive denied to guests and limited users account. Instead HKCU is editable by everybody. I should move AVStoDVD settings to the new key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\AVStoDVD.

Question to all AVStoDVD users: are there any problems in moving the registry key from HKLM to HKCU?

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 21st May 2009, 18:03   #852  |  Link
Sir Didymus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC
Both of suggestions make sense. A more professional dvd authoring software would have them. We need the help of Sir Didymus (BatchMux author) to expand BatchMux capabilities to support those features. SD, that's your matter
Hi MrC! Well, the points raised by turbojet are very valid. I easily see his reasons. However at the current time I don't think it would by so "easy and straight", to add some type of classical chaptering, audio and subs selection menues, especially considering that I would like to have something "integrated" and consistent with the actual structure and style of the menues engine. By sure I will focus further on the request and think about its feasibility...

I agree it would be great!

:-)

Last edited by Sir Didymus; 21st May 2009 at 18:05.
Sir Didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 20:04   #853  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Didymus View Post
Hi MrC! Well, the points raised by turbojet are very valid. I easily see his reasons. However at the current time I don't think it would by so "easy and straight", to add some type of classical chaptering, audio and subs selection menues, especially considering that I would like to have something "integrated" and consistent with the actual structure and style of the menues engine. By sure I will focus further on the request and think about its feasibility...

I agree it would be great!

:-)
Hi SD, nice to see you here again. Every BatchMux improvements will be highly appreciated. Keep us informed!

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 22nd May 2009, 01:43   #854  |  Link
bagheera1

Problem With Thunbnails

I have been trying to backup a dvd tv series onto a single disk, 22 files average 24 min. each. using AvstoDVD 2.20alpha
for its menu capabilities. Everything goes fine until menu generation, then the computer freezes. I think I have narrowed it down to the file "Thumb_12_AviSynthT.avs" trim statement that reads trim(0,0). All of the other BMP files are 28k, Thumb_12.bmp is 1.7MB

I can reproduce this every time.

All of the other Thumb avs trim statements are around the 2150 range.

I have tried motion menus, static menus, and adjusting framerates with no success. The file itself plays fine and passes VirtualDubs error checking.

I am unaware of how to restart avstoDvd at menu generation after a crash. So each attempt takes a long time. Is there a way to pick up where you left off?

How does AVStoDVD Pick its frame for the static menu, and can it be tweaked?

Also, I have previously made motion menus (2 files) that play fine on my computer, but stutter on both of my standalone players (I think they dont like the Memorex CD-R). Is there a way to adjust the bitrate of the menus?

One more thing, I have been using Quenc because HcEnc seems to yield random "process aborted" dialogues. Is this common? I havn't tried to diagnose the problem, nor did I do any searches.

Any thoughts on my problem?
bagheera1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 20:57   #855  |  Link
MysticE

@ bagheera1

Although I don't know the answer, you are trying to put almost 9 hours of video on one DVD. The vid quality will have to be pretty bad.

Quote:
I am unaware of how to restart avstoDvd at menu generation after a crash. So each attempt takes a long time. Is there a way to pick up where you left off?
Try saving the project before you go to menu generation, at least then you can reload it after a crash.

@ MrC

I though in the past when I chose muxed mpeg as output I used to get it saved under the original file name, not some generic 'DVD_2_Title_01.mpg' name.

Last edited by MysticE; 22nd May 2009 at 21:02.
MysticE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 01:17   #856  |  Link
gizzin

Quote:
Although I don't know the answer, you are trying to put almost 9 hours of video on one DVD. The vid quality will have to be pretty bad.
Thats a understatement, It will a blocky mess. If you can even make out what your watching.
gizzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 13:36   #857  |  Link
bagheera1

The video quality will be totally fine, not a blocky mess. I have made many disks at this bitrate and they all turned out to be completely watachable, and totally acceptable.

The problem is the weird menu creation behavior on file 12.

By the way, I have saved the project since the 2nd time I had to redo it.

Last edited by bagheera1; 23rd May 2009 at 13:38.
bagheera1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 19:46   #858  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagheera1 View Post
Everything goes fine until menu generation, then the computer freezes. I think I have narrowed it down to the file "Thumb_12_AviSynthT.avs" trim statement that reads trim(0,0). All of the other BMP files are 28k, Thumb_12.bmp is 1.7MB
This is the code section to compute thumb frame for static menu:
Code:
CLng(Val(.ThumbFramePos) / 100 * Title(jj).TimeTrimmed * Val(Title(jj).InputMediaInfo.VideoFPS))
As you can read, there are 3 variables:
1. ThumbFramePos -> it is defined in the DVD Menu Wizard, 'Option' tab.
2. Title(jj).TimeTrimmed -> the time length (trimmed, if you did) of your input file. If the time (read by MediaInfo) is 0, then the error you reported can happen.
3. Title(jj).InputMediaInfo.VideoFPS -> your input file framerate. If the framerate (read by MediaInfo) is null or 0, then the error you reported can happen.

Please do the troubleshooting by yourself and report back what you find. Maybe I need to add some workarounds to take care of fps/time null readings.

Quote:
How does AVStoDVD Pick its frame for the static menu, and can it be tweaked?
My previous answer should cover also this question

Quote:
Is there a way to adjust the bitrate of the menus?
Not right now. Menu bitrate is hardcoded (6000 kbps for video and 192 kbps for audio). But you are not the first guy asking me to customize it, so I will think about it...

Quote:
One more thing, I have been using Quenc because HcEnc seems to yield random "process aborted" dialogues. Is this common? I havn't tried to diagnose the problem, nor did I do any searches.
When you get any errors, please post the log file. It is the best way to diagnose the problem and (for you) to understand how AVStoDVD works.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 28th May 2009, 18:05   #859  |  Link
turbojet

Concerning the menu changes I mentioned. Would AVStoDVD having an option to send each chapter as a separate title be a solution to scene selection?
Audio setup menu page would be a whole other matter however.

Also could drag and drop input files in main window be a possible addition?
Old 30th May 2009, 09:11   #860  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Concerning the menu changes I mentioned. Would AVStoDVD having an option to send each chapter as a separate title be a solution to scene selection?
It could be done, but with a lot of code rewriting. I think the most "economic" and linear approach is to wait for BatchMux next release with authoring expanded capability.

Quote:
Also could drag and drop input files in main window be a possible addition?
Yes, next release will have it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum