Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 24th March 2016, 19:26   #1021  |  Link
Lupissimo

There seems to be a bug with cropping: If I use NVENC with avisynth/Vaporsynth-decode the crop values are multiplied by 2. Using NVENC with ffmpeg dvxa2 everything is ok.
Old 24th March 2016, 19:49   #1022  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupissimo View Post
There seems to be a bug with cropping: If I use NVENC with avisynth/Vaporsynth-decode the crop values are multiplied by 2. Using NVENC with ffmpeg dvxa2 everything is ok.
The build just uploaded fixes it.

https://github.com/stax76/staxrip/wiki/Test-Build
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 01:07   #1023  |  Link
jonesjrgr

Bug in autocrop

Sorry in advance,but this is my first post

in march 14 release has changed the autocrop feature (auto crop plugin replaced with new internal routine supporting both AviSynth and VapourSynth).
Since then,no matter what i do,cropping values are wrong.I installed in a new directory,create the same profiles,but in vain.Last working release for is "StaxRip_x64_2016-03-06_test"

For example:Batman vs Superman trailer

The right one:
------------------------------------------------------------
Script

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\StaxRip_x64_1.3.1.7_beta\Apps\Plugins\avs\L-SMASH-Works\LSMASHSource.dll")
LSMASHVideoSource("E:\New folder\Batman v Superman_ Dawn of Justice - Comic-Con Trailer [HD].mp4")
Crop(0, 144, -0, -144)
Spline16Resize(1280, 528)

The wrong one:
Script

LoadPlugin("D:\Program Files (x86)\StaxRip_x64_2016-03-23_01-15_test\Apps\Plugins\avs\L-SMASH-Works\LSMASHSource.dll")
LSMASHVideoSource("E:\New folder\Batman v Superman_ Dawn of Justice - Comic-Con Trailer [HD].mp4")
Crop(486, 272, -6, -272)
Spline16Resize(1280, 480)

As you can see the crop values are wrong.In both cases,i used Automatic source,so i won't have to do it manually

I hope to have an answer (with a solution),and thanks for your time.Great program!!!!
jonesjrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 06:54   #1024  |  Link
stax76

@jonesjrgr

Should be much better:

Old 25th March 2016, 12:00   #1025  |  Link
jonesjrgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
@jonesjrgr

Should be much better:

OMG!!Works so much better!!!!
Thanks A LOT!!!!!!!
jonesjrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 15:00   #1026  |  Link
Yups

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquare View Post
Been using and testing Quick Sync with Staxrip (QSVEncC) these past few days, QS encodes are very flat and kills a lot of detail unlike x264 that can be fine tuned, but the speed of QS is 4 times faster than x264 on my rig. I tried to solve this issue with one of the custom switches: The --vpp-detail-enhance <int> option, but it gives the same results no matter the value of the strength, tried from 1 to 100.
Anyone knows the values or range for this variable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLai View Post
{Detail Enhancement}: is the process of enhancing the edge contrast to improve its sharpness. VPP uses an adaptive detail enhancement algorithm to increase the edge sharpness.

Value of 0-100 (inclusive) indicates the level of details to be enhanced. Default value is 0 (disabled).

Sorry to break the party, but that option is not what you need.
There is not much you can do with QSV about finer detail retainment. Maybe LA-ICQ mode, higher value for la-depth scenechange, trellis for all, --quality sets to best, --b-pyramid on,--weightp, --weightb, --la-quality sets to slow .....etc?

It is what he needs if he want an increased sharpness, although it can lead to some issues. I noticed the same as him, no difference between 1 and 100. The sharpness increase is too big for my taste. For Haswell or newer I would recommend LA_VBR, TU4 balanced, bframes 3, ref frames 3, gop length 256, Lookahead depth 100 with QSVEncC decoder.

Why is Avisynth/VapourSynth default decoder for Quicksync? QSVEncC decoder is the best choice by far for Quicksync encoding.
Yups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2016, 23:11   #1027  |  Link
Lupissimo

I found a bug in the NVENC H264 profile: If I choose the avisynth default for decoding everything is ok, but using ffmpeg(DXVA2) to decode the encoding framerate is changed. The original movie was 23.976fps. But ffmpeg assumes it to be 29.970 fps and changes it to 23.976
Old 28th March 2016, 20:20   #1028  |  Link
Yups

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquare View Post
It's not perfect but I'm getting OK results with ICQ 17 and these settings: --vpp-detail-enhance 1 --mbbrc --extbrc --weightp --weightb, trellis as auto or default.
With ICQ some features like --b-pyramid and --la are not available, also tried LA-ICQ but it seems worst than ICQ and makes a bigger file size.
By any chance, which QSV parameter is compatible to x264's mb-tree?
I always disable mb-tree and trellis on my x264 encodes, to keep most of the details.

With LA bitrate mode all these options doesn't work except trellis which kills details. I never liked trellis with Quicksync. vpp-detail-enhance should work but looks like there is a driver bug.

After some testing I think these gives me decent results. Only valid for Haswell or newer because of Lookahead.

ICQ has pros and cons, it's good in motion and stable but often it kills too many details.

Last edited by Yups; 3rd April 2016 at 20:30.
Yups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 23:09   #1029  |  Link
Magik Mark

Stax,

I'm experimenting with 2pass x265. I noticed that when I drag a file in staxrip, the program sets a certain video bitrate value on its own. May I ask how staxrip arrives at that value? Though I could change it manually, I'm just curious how it calculates the initial value. The value changes depending on the video being process.

By the way, the default value being calculated by staxrip gives a very good image quality

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by Magik Mark; 29th March 2016 at 23:11.
Magik Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 11:32   #1030  |  Link
Q-the-STORM

With the current version of mkvtoolnix, mkvinfo shows up every time before an encode and I have to manually close it to start the encode.
Any way to supress it or automatically close?
Q-the-STORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 11:40   #1031  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
I found a bug in the NVENC H264 profile: If I choose the avisynth default for decoding everything is ok, but using ffmpeg(DXVA2) to decode the encoding framerate is changed. The original movie was 23.976fps. But ffmpeg assumes it to be 29.970 fps and changes it to 23.976
What's the MediaInfo of the source?

@Magik Mark

The video bitrate is calculated from size and length:

sizeInMB * 1024 * 8 * 1.024 / lengthInSeconds

@Q-the-STORM

There was a breaking change in mkvinfo.exe, you can use an old mkvinfo.exe, next StaxRip build fixes it.

Last edited by stax76; 30th March 2016 at 11:43.
Old 30th March 2016, 18:08   #1032  |  Link
Lupissimo

http://pastebin.com/9yMGpgnR

This is the log including mediainfo
Old 30th March 2016, 19:43   #1033  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
http://pastebin.com/9yMGpgnR

This is the log including mediainfo
It's due to StaxRip always setting fps for mkv muxing, I've now removed this altogether hoping there aren't any use cases where it's actually needed.
Old 31st March 2016, 17:09   #1034  |  Link
fantasmanegro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesjrgr View Post
Sorry in advance,but this is my first post

in march 14 release has changed the autocrop feature (auto crop plugin replaced with new internal routine supporting both AviSynth and VapourSynth).
Since then,no matter what i do,cropping values are wrong.I installed in a new directory,create the same profiles,but in vain.Last working release for is "StaxRip_x64_2016-03-06_test"

For example:Batman vs Superman trailer

The right one:
Script

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\StaxRip_x64_1.3.1.7_beta\Apps\Plugins\avs\L-SMASH-Works\LSMASHSource.dll")
Crop(0, 144, -0, -144)
Spline16Resize(1280, 528)

The wrong one:
Script

LoadPlugin("D:\Program Files (x86)\StaxRip_x64_2016-03-23_01-15_test\Apps\Plugins\avs\L-SMASH-Works\LSMASHSource.dll")
Crop(486, 272, -6, -272)
Spline16Resize(1280, 480)

As you can see the crop values are wrong.In both cases,i used Automatic source,so i won't have to do it manually

I hope to have an answer (with a solution),and thanks for your time.Great program!!!!
and what if... we can pick one of both?.... i mean... plugin or internal routine...??
fantasmanegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2016, 20:03   #1035  |  Link
stax76

@fantasmanegro

Do you still get poor results compared to the old method?

@all

pinterf has fixed AviSynth+ and mvtools2 so QTGMC is included again in the last test build.
Old 31st March 2016, 23:40   #1036  |  Link
fantasmanegro

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
@fantasmanegro

Do you still get poor results compared to the old method?

@all

pinterf has fixed AviSynth+ and mvtools2 so QTGMC is included again in the last test build.
er.... nope... i use auto crop just for testing... manual crop... always

fantasmanegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016, 03:21   #1037  |  Link
Magik Mark

Stax,

Is it possible to have staxrip to use the default video bitrate set by the user in 2pass x265?

I created a template with 1500kbps video bitrate as a default. Every time a drag a file it reverts back to the video bitrate of the video and not the default bitrate set by the user

Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 07:49   #1038  |  Link
stax76

@Magik Mark

You can set it at Options > Misc > Use fixed bitrate
Old 1st April 2016, 16:58   #1039  |  Link
Lupissimo

Could somebody tell me how to incorporate Video Preprocessing AviSynth tools?
I would like to use the ColourBriContr.vdf module including the ability to preview the resulting settings. Up to now I have to first encode into avi so that I can use Virtualdub to apply video corrections and reencode into avi again. Only after that I use StaxRip for the final encode. I am sure this is a stupid way, but I have not found any other.
So PLEASE help me
Old 1st April 2016, 21:07   #1040  |  Link
LightSabre
Media-XE Ownator

@Stax76

Huge thanks for adding 7.1 sound output option in the latest build.
LightSabre is offline   Reply With Quote