Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24th May 2014, 15:22   #1  |  Link
Reel.Deel

nnedi3 vs NeuronDoubler

A couple of weeks ago I was looking for something and I stumbled across NeuronDoubler, a program that upscales images similar to nnedi3.
NeuronDoubler is not an Avisynth plugin and it's super slow compared to nnedi3 but the output (IMO) can sometimes be better than nnedi3.
It has a sharper output than nnedi3 but it's also a bit more prone to aliasing (go figure). Anyways, I compared some images between the two
and I'd like to share the results. If you guys have better examples showing the good and the bad please share. Also, any feedback is welcomed.

You can download NeuronDoubler here: http://loggialogic.blogspot.com/2014/03/neurondoubler-v321.html
That page is in Japanese but the actual program is in English. I don't think NeuronDoubler is open source but the author said it's "free software".

Also, here's a quick video from Wirewriggle (the author) illustrating how NeuronDoubler works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMXLpFz_Tt4
In the comments section the author lists the recommended requirements and additional info in English.

-------

All of the following images were upscaled by 4x and I used the following settings for nnedi3:
Code:
nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=4, cshift="spline36resize")

Car Show:

[nnedi3]
[NeuronDoubler]

Castle:

[nnedi3]
[NeuronDoubler]

Cat:

[nnedi3]
[NeuronDoubler]

Clown:

[nnedi3]
[NeuronDoubler]

Flowers:

[nnedi3]
[NeuronDoubler]

Lighthouse:

[nnedi3]
[NeuronDoubler]

Meter:

[nnedi3]
[NeuronDoubler]

"wc":

[nnedi3]
[NeuronDoubler]

-----

Just for fun, some pixel art (here I like nnedi3 more but both have their pros and cons, obviously):

Gundam Wing:

[nnedi3]
[NeuronDoubler]

Street Fighter:

[nnedi3]
[NeuronDoubler]
Reel.Deel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
neurondoubler, nnedi3, upscaling