Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 17th May 2009, 10:52   #401  |  Link
0xdeadbeef
Author of BDSup2Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubblec4 View Post
Some captions are colored but in the sub/idx-mode are all captions white.

I saw in SC you can choose different colors for the captions.

Is it possible to keep the Sup-color in the vobsub.idx-file?
Sometimes I wonder if anybody ever even had a look in the online help at all. Keep in mind that every minute of my life that I have to answer questions that could be easily answered by reading the manual and/or experimenting a little on your own, is a minute that is lost for BDSup2Sub development.
But yeah well:

When converting the 256 color palette of a BD/HD-DVD-SUP to a "4 out of 16" colors VobSub palette, BDSup2Sub looks for the brightest opaque color which is used for the most pixels. It then selects the closest color from the default VobSub palette than can be displayed and edited via the "Edit Vobsub Palette" menu entry.

In your example, the yellow is very light and thus closer to white than to the yellow in BDSup2Sub's default VobSub palette. You can edit the yellow color in the VobSub palette though as described in the online help. You can even save and load your own custom palettes.

There are some limitations however: due to the restriction to a 16 color palette and BDSup2Sub's (minimum) antialiasing approach for VobSubs which needs a light and a dark tone for each color, there are only 6 colors than can be adjusted (plus white/grays). So if there are more colors used in the SUP, some colors will be always wrong.
Besides, due to the limitation to 4 colors (where one is transparent) in one caption, having two primary colors in one caption will always lead to (at least partially) wrong colors.
0xdeadbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2009, 11:06   #402  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

sorry for wasting your time. but its not easy. some captions keeps the color other not.

yes the "help" is very usefull!
ok. its not so important for me this small issue....

Thanks for the new version. I love it.

hubble
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2009, 17:08   #403  |  Link
SquallMX
Special SeeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubblec4 View Post
sorry for wasting your time. but its not easy. some captions keeps the color other not.

yes the "help" is very usefull!
ok. its not so important for me this small issue....

Thanks for the new version. I love it.

hubble
I was having a similar problem using Windows 7 Build 7100, after using Windows XP SP3 everything works fine, but since BDSup2Sub is a Java program, the responsible for this problem seems to be Subtitle Creator+Windows 7, some captions are fine but others have diferent color, no transparency, or dont display at all.

I will post a few samples tomorrow, but I think the problem is not a BDSup2Sub bug.

SquallMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 05:46   #404  |  Link
Surf
Senior Kindergarten

Hello Ox,

Indirectly you've solved MY problem. I was using an old version of the SubtitleCreator, ver 2.0 !! Your last reply made me obtained the latest v2.23rc1 since 07/2008...voila!

You may want to update your 1st post to caution this similar pitfall...

Cheers!
Surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 20:40   #405  |  Link
0xdeadbeef
Author of BDSup2Sub

Another major (though it might not look like it) update. I changed even more things than in 3.6.0 and tested even less, so give it a try, but don't be surprised if I screwed up some things.

18.05.2009 3.6.0 -> 3.7.0
  • Changed: added free scaling factors (x,y) to resize captions independently of resolution changes.
  • Changed: all text fields react while typing and use background colors to give status feedback.
  • Fixed: when converting from HD-DVD-SUP to BD-SUP it was not guaranteed that each last palette entry was transparent.

Last edited by 0xdeadbeef; 19th May 2009 at 00:24.
Old 19th May 2009, 14:44   #406  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

Hi again

Here is a pair extracted from .ts file.

I have no idea what format is inside - can you take a look when you find some spare time?

Dean
Old 19th May 2009, 16:53   #407  |  Link
0xdeadbeef
Author of BDSup2Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by deank View Post
I have no idea what format is inside - can you take a look when you find some spare time?
Well, even the IDX looks like crap:

Code:
id: xx, index: 0
timestamp: 4294967284:4223384455:4294967266:000, filepos: 000000000
timestamp: 4294967284:4223384455:4294967267:000, filepos: 000005800
timestamp: 4294967284:4223384455:4294967266:000, filepos: 000006000
First caption starts > 490293 years after the movie started. Hm, you have to be kinda patient and long-lived to enjoy this

Anyway, even if we ignored this, the SUB seems to be completely corrupt as well. Obviously there's not a single valid control header offset in it and I couldn't find any sensible control header either. Instead, the whole file consists more or less of padding bytes. Each packet is only about 0x100 bytes long. So if there's an image encoded somewhere, it must be either very small or spread over a lot of packets without any obvious reason.

Dunno if it makes sense to look deeper into this. IMHO this looks like the export of a defective tool (no matter if it was the authoring tool or the demuxer). Both SubtitleCreator and VobSub SubResync crash on import. And really: this doesn't look like there's usable data in there anyway.
Old 19th May 2009, 17:37   #408  |  Link
0xdeadbeef
Author of BDSup2Sub

19.05.2009 3.7.0 -> 3.7.1
  • Fixed: BD-SUP palette fix (when converting from HD-DVD-SUP) introduced in 3.7.0 didn't work reliably.
Old 19th May 2009, 18:15   #409  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xdeadbeef View Post
Well, even the IDX looks like crap... First caption starts > 490293 years after the movie started. Hm, you have to be kinda patient and long-lived to enjoy this
Sorry if it was a waste of time.

I extracted these "subs" from a .ts file, which mediainfo identified as "teletext". I used mencoder as I do for DVD extraction.

Thanks for the effort!

Dean
Old 19th May 2009, 18:26   #410  |  Link
0xdeadbeef
Author of BDSup2Sub

Dunno too much about how teletext data is defined in a TS transport stream. I would be surprised though if if was encoded in a subtitle substream.
I would assume that e.g. the demuxer didn't know what to do with it and stuffed it into a subtitle stream, but then couldn't get the information to create a valid IDX file and the control headers inside the SUB.
Anyway, as far as I remember, I once extracted/converted a teletext subtitle stream from a DVB transport stream with ProjectX and then used it to create a DVD. So this would be worth a try.
Old 19th May 2009, 19:00   #411  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

Yes, a user posted that he converted teletext-subs with ProjectX and then they can be used. I just tried the 'short cut'
Old 21st May 2009, 19:22   #412  |  Link
0xdeadbeef
Author of BDSup2Sub

Mainly improvements regarding import of VobSubs:

21.05.2009 3.7.1 -> 3.8.0
  • Changed: VobSub: added basic support for alpha fading detection (one LN_CTLI, one PX_CTLI per udpate, ignoring line&column).
  • Changed: VobSub: keeping existing palette is possible now if import and export format is VobSub.
  • Changed: VobSub: the active language index ("langidx:") is now parsed and only captions fitting this index will be used.
  • Fixed: VobSub: global offsets > 0 in IDX led to wrong image size (and wrong RLE decoding in some cases).
  • Fixed: target bitmap and palette where not updated at the same time leading to GUI redraw issues.
  • Fixed: erase patches were not updated correctly if free scaling was limited to screen size.
Old 21st May 2009, 21:59   #413  |  Link
Mtz

This is a TS with 4 audio and 8 subtitles. You can play this file and change the audio or subtitles in VLC. Do you think is possible to extract the DVB Subtitles (with some tool) and convert them with your program? I don't know any tool which can extract DVB Subtitles. DGAVCIndex "saw" them as AC3. CCExtractor cannot extract them because are not Closed Captions. Closed Captions can be found and extracted with this tool in several formats if the video is MPEG2 in TS.

enjoy,
Mtz

edit: PS: thank you for the implementation of "overlaped subtiles". Now the date and time from HD cameras are displayed OK without any gap. Will be nice if possible to move them on horizontal, not only vertical

Last edited by Mtz; 21st May 2009 at 22:05.
Mtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 23:14   #414  |  Link
0xdeadbeef
Author of BDSup2Sub

Well, this seems to be more or less exactly what I just discussed with deank: this is a DVB transport stream with embedded teletext.
So you need ProjectX or any other tool that can extract teletext subtitles from a DVB transport stream. AFAIK ProjectX only exports to SUP/IFO, so you need another tool to convert that to VobSub. SubtitleCreator or DVDSubEdit should do the trick.
Old 21st May 2009, 23:17   #415  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

ProjectX doesn't support h.264 streams...
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 23:22   #416  |  Link
Mtz

DVB Subtitles are teletext type (can be extracted in various formats with CCEXtractGui) or bitmaps (like in the sample).

enjoy,
Mtz
Old 21st May 2009, 23:23   #417  |  Link
0xdeadbeef
Author of BDSup2Sub

The question was about extracting the captions and ProjectX can export the captions from that stream.
Besides: this is pretty offtopic, so please open a new thread if you wish to discuss extracting DVB transport streams any further.
Old 22nd May 2009, 02:23   #418  |  Link
Mtz

When I saw that ProjectX cannot decode H264 I supossed that subtitles can't be exported.
The resulted subtitles from ProjectX can be loaded in your program (loading the idx).

enjoy,
Mtz
Old 22nd May 2009, 05:23   #419  |  Link
jokeli

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xdeadbeef View Post
Well I sure don't intend to add OCR to SupToSub, so all I could offer would be an export to an easy to implement format. E.g. a bunch of GIFs plus a text file similar to the IDX of VobSub. Then maybe someone could set up a scripting tools to convert this to SRT or whatever.
Contactless POS|Fingerprint POS|Credit Card Terminal|Point of Sale a good stat
jokeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 17:24   #420  |  Link
0xdeadbeef
Author of BDSup2Sub

Hm, pretty quiet here lately. Probably I scared'em all away
Anyway, one last small update before I leave for the weekend.

22.05.2009 3.8.0 -> 3.8.1
  • Changed: VobSub/BDN XML: transparent colors are assumed black to avoid scaling artifacts (same handling now for all formats).
  • Changed: introduced CLI option "/acrop" to set alpha value for cropping and patching color values to black.
  • Changed: edit dialog's preview window better matches the target resolution for less scaling artefacts in preview.
  • Changed: reworked limitation of selection window. Now based on unscaled coordinates to guarantee accuracy to single pixels.