Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 15th January 2020, 22:12   #1  |  Link
sonic41592

Help Deinterlacing Troublesome DVD

I have an old DVD collection of cartoons that I'd like to work on deinterlacing. The problem is that each episode is a variable frame rate, and switches scene to scene between 30 fps interlace, 24 fps progressive, and 30 fps hard telecine. I've checked around for a long time for a way to properly deinterlace/IVTC the episodes, but nothing seems to work correctly. If anyone knows of an Avisynth script that can fix this, I'd really appreciate it.

I was coming here to look for advice on creating an Avisynth function that could break apart the video into sections by frame number, determine if each section were progressive, interlaced, or telecined, reconstruct the progressive frame at 24 fps (for progressive and telecine sections) and deinterlace the 30 fps (for the interlaced sections), and stitch all of them back in order. I know mkvextract can create a timestamp for each of the frames, and that can be used to find the fps for each individual frame. The 24 fps frames actually alternate between ~30 and ~20 fps, so the average across them is 24 fps. The frame numbers that are listed as 24 fps can be trimmed and left untouched. The 30 fps sections can then be analyzed over all of the frames to check for combing, like in this section of Avisynth interlace detection

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Interla...Synth_analysis

This would tell which groups of frames were telecine (two or less combed frames per five frames) or interlace (more than three combed frames per five frames). It could use the frame numbers of each section to trim each group, then perform TIVTC and QTGMC respectively, and concatenate all of the sections. It would need to create a new timestamp text file so each frame can be labelled with a new timestamp so that mkvmerge could create a variable frame rate mkv.

I have some (limited) coding knowledge, but have no idea where to get started to put this together. I'd really appreciate any help or focused tutorials on what this project entails. Thanks!
sonic41592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2020, 01:50   #2  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Samples would be welcome.
An easy way: Since with most cartoons you will have to reconstruct orphaned fields anyway,
so I can globally suggest (Q)TGMC to bob up to double framerate (50p or 59,94p, whatever the source DVD was,
and I am not covering blended fields here). All timing is kept, no need to go VFR.
Only if you indeed need to have individual frames, then: VFR.
(BTW if the VFR objective was bit saving by any means:
You won't save that many bits by doing VFR,
encoders like x264, x265 analyse the almost similar content and won't spend so much more bits on the repeated frame.)
Next it depends what the playback device shall be.
If Blu-ray compatible: resize to 1280x720
(SAR 1:1 provided, so if narrower than 16:9 black pillarboxed / wider than 16:9 black letterboxed),
encode using x264, author to .m2ts as Blu-ray.
If .mkv or .mp4: resize to what your playback devices likes most, SAR 1:1 provided, encode using x264 or x265.
BTW, Staxrip does this all in one step, maybe you need tsMuxeR for Blu-ray in the end.

Last edited by Emulgator; 16th January 2020 at 01:54.
Emulgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2020, 05:51   #3  |  Link
sonic41592

I tried using QTGMC for the video, but the 24 fps progressive sections are ran at 59.94 fps, which makes them play sped up compared to the telecine and interlaced sections. It also has cause some frames to backtrack and flicker what should be smooth motion, as well as makes the picture wavy looking if that makes any sense.

https://imgur.com/a/rPupTFW

I was trying to keep the number of duplicate frames at a minimum with the VFR because I'm planning on upscaling the series with waifu2x, so the fewer images to run through the program the better. The end player will be my computer/plex, and I typically use handbrake to encode in x265, so I can adjust the aspect ratios there.
sonic41592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2020, 16:39   #4  |  Link
SaurusX

It looks like a couple of problems may be happening here. Specified field order and/or the indexing process you're using to frame serve could be causing the back and forth motion. If you're indexing the VOBs with DGIndex make sure you have the "Honor pulldown flags" turned on.

But at the minimum, the initial part of your script would be helpful to see.

And really, even if you're looking to minimize conversion time with Waifu2x it's not to your advantage to feed it a variable rate video file. What process are you expecting to use to recompile the upscaled frames in order to keep the correct frame rates? You're going to have a hell of a time.
SaurusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2020, 20:37   #5  |  Link
Motenai Yoda

You should try

1pass vfr
Code:
tfm(pp=0)
tdecimate(mode=3,hybrid=2, mkvOut="timecodecsMkv.txt")
2pass vfr
Code:
tfm(pp=0,output="tfmout.txt")
#first pass
tdecimate(mode=4,output="timecodecs.txt")
#2nd pass
tdecimate(mode=5, hybrid=2, cycleR=1, input="timecodecs.txt", mkvOut="timecodecsMkv.txt", tfmInput="tfmout.txt")
qtgmc doesn't go well as the mcm is 119.880fps not 59.940fps