Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 26th June 2018, 02:50   #51521  |  Link
suanm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Dolby Vision decoding is not supported by anything free, as far as I can tell.

Playing back Dolby Vision is not simply sending different metadata, it is much more complex and no one has released the specs so no one knows how to do it.
Ah,i get it.Thank you,master,very much.

Last edited by suanm; 26th June 2018 at 03:06.
suanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2018, 07:58   #51522  |  Link
ccrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
same answer you are still comparing the same image with each other.

I think I saw the problem: every time when I take a SS the size depends for screen ratio from MPC. If I take a SS (alt+i) from full screen, all of them will be at same size and resolution: 3840 x 2160 ( my screen resolution).
If a take from half size player the resoltuion will be half of 2160p.
How can I obtain a SS with original video resolution?
How can I "force" to upscale to 2160? except madvr upscale settings.
ccrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2018, 11:01   #51523  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojo666 View Post
I got the same requests, but i have a different feeling.

in the mail they sent me they are asking about app freezing (i never talk about freezing) and performance issue (never wrote about performance)
they ask me to demostrate with a video the issue.
Also seems it's not clear that the issue is happening from many versions of the driver.

I'm not sure that i want to do their job, debugging, starting from update my system to a driver that I already know is broken to send them what ? something that they can reproduce easly (they are amd) with the information that i've sent to them in terms of repro steps and software e Hw versions.

AMD is keeping to piss me off (sorry to be rude), starting from couple of years ago when they removed all video configurations in the drivers , they made me waste a lot of time to provide them all infomations requested and in the end all those useful controls never went back they closed the issue with no issue.

this is my opinion, if you have time to break you pc with broken driver and send them all the infos i say a big thank you to you , but i'm not sure that i will do the same.
you are probably right, however this might be a bigger deal than we think as everything is going HDR at the moment so they may want to put some resources into this if netflix isnt work properly either.

I'm hopeful
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2018, 12:45   #51524  |  Link
mrmojo666

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
you are probably right, however this might be a bigger deal than we think as everything is going HDR at the moment so they may want to put some resources into this if netflix isnt work properly either.

I'm hopeful
I agree even I'm still negative, in case I find some spare time to make all things requested, I will send to them.

Last edited by mrmojo666; 26th June 2018 at 14:55.
mrmojo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2018, 17:06   #51525  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrys View Post
I think I saw the problem: every time when I take a SS the size depends for screen ratio from MPC.
How can I "force" to upscale to 2160? except madvr upscale settings.
Have you tried the various settings under rendering -> screenshots in madVR's options?
Old 26th June 2018, 19:53   #51526  |  Link
SirSwede

Can someone please recommend settings for:
  • Chroma upscaling
  • Image upscaling
  • Dithering
When playing a 1080p, 50 fps, video to a 1080p, 50 Hz, screen with a GT740 GDDR5 card.

It won't do NGU unfortunately. Can it if I do some trade quality for performance?
SirSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2018, 20:12   #51527  |  Link
waldnebel

Do I have to activate or to deactivate that "HDR and WCG" option in the display settings of Windows 10 if madvr is used as a video renderer?
waldnebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2018, 20:46   #51528  |  Link
Asmodian

No, leave Window's HDR option off when using madVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSwede View Post
Can someone please recommend settings
Didn't we already give you a bunch of recommendations?

Jinc for everything since you cannot run NGU. SBR 100 for chroma upscaling is also an option, compare to Jinc and pick the one you like more.

Ordered Dithering.

Trade quality for performance options are not going to help you run NGU.

Last edited by Asmodian; 26th June 2018 at 20:49.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2018, 20:57   #51529  |  Link
SirSwede

Quote:
No, leave Window's HDR option off when using madVR.

Didn't we already give you a bunch of recommendations?

Jinc for everything since you cannot run NGU. SBR 100 for chroma upscaling is also an option, compare to Jinc and pick the one you like more.

Ordered Dithering.

Trade quality for performance options are not going to help you run NGU.
Yeah, but 50 fps wouldn't accept those recommendations unfortunately.
Old 26th June 2018, 21:12   #51530  |  Link
Asmodian

Ah I see, yes the GT740 is a very weak card. Hmm.. you might need to stick to the defaults for 50 fps, maybe try Spline or Lanczos 3 for chroma and image upscaling.
Old 26th June 2018, 23:10   #51531  |  Link
SirSwede

Quote:
Ah I see, yes the GT740 is a very weak card. Hmm.. you might need to stick to the defaults for 50 fps, maybe try Spline or Lanczos 3 for chroma and image upscaling.
I like Error Diffusion 2 for dithering a lot, but when I moved to Ordered Dithering it seemed to be able to handle both Jinc and super-xbr, but wouldn't go any higher than the latter.
Old 26th June 2018, 23:29   #51532  |  Link
HillieSan

Same here. I am using a AMD RX 480 with Ordered Dithering with NGU. Error Diffusion 2 is a bit too heavy for this graphics card. I see no difference between Error Diffusion 2 and Ordered Dithering on my projector screen.

Last edited by HillieSan; 26th June 2018 at 23:49.
HillieSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2018, 23:43   #51533  |  Link
HillieSan

FYI, this week I have bought a 3D transmitter and 3 glasses for my JVC X5000 projector. It was a disaster to get the 3D mode of the projector working with my RX 480. Every time when I started a 3D move, the screen went black or Windows 10 switched to the wrong resolution. All applications (MPC-BE, MPC-HC, PowerDVD) went crazy. I had to reset my PC many times. After some time, I discovered that the dual monitor configuration did not work well. My projector and TV were using two different resolutions. After setting both screens to 1080 (3D recommended), it worked well. The 3D performance is very good.

PS. I am not sure, but I believe this dual screen performance problem is fixed for the RX 580. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited by HillieSan; 26th June 2018 at 23:51.
HillieSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2018, 00:15   #51534  |  Link
njfoses

FYI new nvidia driver 398.36 released.
njfoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2018, 00:21   #51535  |  Link
huhn

rx 480 and rx 580 are identical cards.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2018, 02:26   #51536  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
FYI new nvidia driver 398.36 released.
Not surprisingly has the same issues with custom resolutions and bit depth as the previous ones.

Last edited by ryrynz; 27th June 2018 at 02:28.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2018, 06:37   #51537  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Not surprisingly has the same issues with custom resolutions and bit depth as the previous ones.
But yet you read here with people saying I just use custom res and they say they are using the latest drivers.

I don't get this bit tbh. You would think that whatever card you had, it either works or not, why for some I do not know.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2018, 06:45   #51538  |  Link
ryrynz

Had some strange stuff happen today, like a 25Hz mode pop up, just not save, 23 custom res no longer says 23 but 24 in the control panel.
Used DDU and went back to 385.28 which is just the least broken.
Custom res is also finicky with options, I think just changing the power profile made me have to save the custom res again..
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2018, 09:38   #51539  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Had some strange stuff happen today, like a 25Hz mode pop up, just not save, 23 custom res no longer says 23 but 24 in the control panel.
Used DDU and went back to 385.28 which is just the least broken.
Custom res is also finicky with options, I think just changing the power profile made me have to save the custom res again..
I don't think I have ever had any luck using 23, well maybe once when I had 23 and 24 at one point, I'm sure if you change a 24 to a 23 it vanishes as well. I just use a 24 one and set it up with that.

I am now having synch problems in Kodi after going back to a fresh install of Windows, I was using the Insider builds and they were just too buggy especially the last one. Unsure whats going on and it s seems random, always seems to be something to annoy me haha.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2018, 10:05   #51540  |  Link
Crimson Wolf

A while back I always had issues with custom res, and stopped using it. Once madshi stated nvidia would be releasing a new driver which would fix the 23.976hz issue, I removed all traces of custom res, used DDU, and just tried the default 23hz 12-bit full-RGB. Now my frame drop is days or never. I never have to touch custom again. I do not get any issues anymore.
Crimson Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling