Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 16th July 2019, 22:29   #641  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
Look for the MakeAnyVideoBetter() filter.
When are you releasing the MakeAnyVideoBetterNV filter
I could use it

Last edited by gonca; 16th July 2019 at 22:36.
Old 16th July 2019, 22:36   #642  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santojob View Post
Thank you very much for your advice ChaosKing that I will definitely try. I do not have much knowledge and time to try other things.

videoh Thank you very much for nothing.
Before you thank someone for nothing look carefully at your question.
You want "a filter" that improves the "final video quality" without increasing size or encode time.
Exactly what is it about your video that requires improvement
Denoising doesn't work on all videos.
In fact there is NO ONE SIZE FITS ALL filters.
Tell us what the issue is and then we can attempt to help you

Last edited by gonca; 16th July 2019 at 23:28.
Old 16th July 2019, 23:30   #643  |  Link
Santojob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
Before you thank someone for nothing look carefully at your question.
You want "a filter" that improves the "final video quality" without increasing size or encode time.
Exactly what is it about your video that requires improvement
Denoising doesn't work on all videos.
In fact there is NO ONE SIZE FITS ALL filters.
Tell us what the issue is and then we can attempt to help you

Do you perhaps mean setting(s)?
gonca no doubt you are right in your comments. My English is not good and the translator sometimes does not reflect exactly what I want to say. I usually compress some movie that I like and then store it in a backup HD. I have been compressing lately with Handbrake, but I see that I get a similar quality with StaxRip, but with a very important time reduction in the coding process (currently I use x265 + Nvenc + 10 bit) that I think has very good results.

Currently I only have the encoder (x265-Nvidia) configured in StaxRip and I only use the CROP filter. This configuration compresses fast (I use a bitrate of 4500 VBR).

My question is that filters could improve the final quality of the video, with the configuration mentioned above, without the coding time increasing very much .....

That was the question friends ...

Last edited by Santojob; 16th July 2019 at 23:36.
Old 16th July 2019, 23:49   #644  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
My question is that filters could improve the final quality of the video
It seems you miss the point entirely. Never mind, sorry for the snark and good luck with your projects.

"very much" is also highly nebulous.
Old 16th July 2019, 23:57   #645  |  Link
frenchfries

Quote:
gonca no doubt you are right in your comments. My English is not good and the translator sometimes does not reflect exactly what I want to say. I usually compress some movie that I like and then store it in a backup HD. I have been compressing lately with Handbrake, but I see that I get a similar quality with StaxRip, but with a very important time reduction in the coding process (currently I use x265 + Nvenc + 10 bit) that I think has very good results.

Currently I only have the encoder (x265-Nvidia) configured in StaxRip and I only use the CROP filter. This configuration compresses fast (I use a bitrate of 4500 VBR).

My question is that filters could improve the final quality of the video, with the configuration mentioned above, without the coding time increasing very much .....

That was the question friends ...
A couple of things.

1. Technically you should be referring to the NVENC implementation of HEVC as H.265, HEVC or MPEG-H Part 2 rather than X265 as that's a very different project and leads to potential confusion in your post.

2. To address your question, rather than filters perhaps you can change some settings in NVENC to have the same final bitrate but a quality improvement such as setting the CRF to 17 or 18, I have no idea what you use, which will make your files larger and then adjust B frames and reference frames up a bit to bring the file back down to the same bitrate hopefully.

I find that quicksync doesn't slow down a lot, if at all, even with 6 B frames and 9 reference frames but it works wonders on some footage, particularly animation.

I haven't really played with NVENC but it may also not suffer from tweaked settings.

Quicksync with the following settings seems to do wonders for me

--codec hevc --quality best --profile main10 --la-quality slow --la-window-size 15 --bframes 6 --ref 9 --b-pyramid --fallback-rc --icq 17

Quality is better than x265 slow or slower, always results in a smaller file size and encodes 4k material at ~12-14fps on my laptop with UHD620 graphics.

EDIT - I just reread your post and you use VBR 4500. I would highly recommend going to some form of constant rate factor rather than VBR.
Old 17th July 2019, 01:23   #646  |  Link
gonca

Try this command line and adjust as necessary
Code:
"C:\Program Files (Portable)\NVEncC\NVEncC64.exe" --vbrhq 38400 --codec h265 --preset quality --profile main10 --level 5.1 --output-depth 10 --ref 5 --gop-len 24 --lookahead 32 --qp-init 1 --max-bitrate 38400 --vbr-quality 25 --aq --cuda-schedule auto --mv-precision q-pel --cabac
Note that different NVidia cards have different capabilities
If you a RTX 20xx type you can use b frames
Old 17th July 2019, 04:34   #647  |  Link
maupassant

Problem using mClean with VS Filters (StaxRip 2.0.2.4)

Script Error :
Python Exception: name 'hnwvsfunc' is not defined
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "src\cython\vapoursynth.pyx", line 1927, in vapoursynth.vpy_evaluateScript
Old 18th July 2019, 00:32   #648  |  Link
Santojob

Thanks frenchfries for your advice on VBR and gonca for its command line. The tests I have done have been very good quality. I have had problems compressing m2ts files coming from Bluray with audio & video sync, and I do not know how to solve it. I'm still looking for information on how to fix it ...

Last edited by Santojob; 18th July 2019 at 00:48.
Old 19th July 2019, 05:51   #649  |  Link
frenchfries

Quote:
Thanks frenchfries for your advice on VBR and gonca for its command line. The tests I have done have been very good quality. I have had problems compressing m2ts files coming from Bluray with audio & video sync, and I do not know how to solve it. I'm still looking for information on how to fix it ...
Sync info is embedded within the container and staxrip and mediainfo extract it out for you.

I'm not sure what you're doing but I'd advise you to do a very standard run, ie. with no customistation and see if the output is right. Try a software only transcode and see if it syncs properly. If it does the problem is porbably to do with how you've configured NVENC.
Old 19th July 2019, 15:08   #650  |  Link
Santojob

As it seems, the problem was in the structure of the Bluray that tried to compress (Star Wars I). The process I have done to correct the delay has been to read the structure of the bluray with the GUI MKVToolNix and after selecting the tracks that I have generated an MKV, with this MKV has worked well the compression and synchronization of video and audio.
Old 20th July 2019, 01:41   #651  |  Link
Zetti

NVEncC v4.43 is released.
Old 20th July 2019, 07:46   #652  |  Link
ChaosKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by maupassant View Post
Problem using mClean with VS Filters (StaxRip 2.0.2.4)

Script Error :
Python Exception: name 'hnwvsfunc' is not defined
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "src\cython\vapoursynth.pyx", line 1927, in vapoursynth.vpy_evaluateScript

hnwvsfunc is dead. Should be replaced with https://github.com/Helenerineium/G41Fun
Old 23rd July 2019, 22:37   #653  |  Link
Andy

Quote:
I'm doing tests with StaxRip, compressing videos in x265 + nVENC, the quality is good and especially the speed very fast. Could you recommend the implementation of a filter that improves the final quality of the x265 video and does not consume or reduce compression times too much?
If you want a good picture, you have to use cpu encoding, not gpu. It has a lot of original details that the image made by graphics does not have. It rather smooths it.
Playing with the psychovisual capabilities of the codec (psy-rd, psy-rdog) often helps. If the source has grain, so it is longer ....
But I convert UHD over NVenc with time reasons, if it's not grain, I add Finesharp (Light) and sometimes MSharpen (50-60%) and the result is excellent.
Old 24th July 2019, 07:45   #654  |  Link
Atlantis

Question. Just noticed this.

When I encode an AVC 8bit video with x265 10bit, the result is a little brighter and yellower than the original colors.
If I encode the same AVC 8bit video with x265 8bit, the colors look the same.

So how can I encode an AVC 8bit video into x265 10bit and keep the original colors?

I capture images of the same frames and that's how I see that encoding an 8bit source into 10bit changes the colors slightly.
Old 24th July 2019, 10:16   #655  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Is the video using SD resolution? Those often use BT.601 colors. Some players may assume BT.709 colors with 10 bit files. So it's more of a problem of the player or you not setting the proper color flags (if the player can understand and obey those - most do not).
Old 24th July 2019, 10:49   #656  |  Link
Atlantis

They are all standard blurays. And all HD.

original video - 8bit encoding - 10bit encoding

You see the image on the far right (10bit) has different colors. When you have the full image and switch between them, the difference is more visible.
Old 24th July 2019, 10:53   #657  |  Link
Atlantis

You can do it yourself, it is very easy and very fast. Take an 8bit AVC short clip and use Staxrip to do 2 encodings. x265 8bit and x265 10bit. Take 3 screenshots and compare them.

In the past I was inclined to do all my encoding in 10bits because of better compression and less banding, but the colors are not accurate and not the original colors.
Old 24th July 2019, 10:58   #658  |  Link
Atlantis

Here are the file info

original video

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings : CABAC / 5 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames : 5 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 18 s 561 ms
Bit rate : 6 326 kb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 808 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (23976/1000) FPS
Original frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.170
Stream size : 14.0 MiB (100%)
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

-----------------------------------------------------------------

8bit encoding

Video
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main@L4@Main
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 18 s 560 ms
Bit rate : 662 kb/s
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Bit depth : 8 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.018
Stream size : 1.46 MiB (99%)
Writing library : x265 3.1_RC1+3-3bdf06e3c628:[Windows][MSVC 1921][64 bit] 8bit+10bit+12bit
Encoding settings : cpuid=1111039 / frame-threads=3 / numa-pools=8 / wpp / no-pmode / no-pme / no-psnr / no-ssim / log-level=2 / input-csp=1 / input-res=1920x808 / interlace=0 / total-frames=445 / level-idc=0 / high-tier=1 / uhd-bd=0 / ref=3 / no-allow-non-conformance / no-repeat-headers / annexb / no-aud / no-hrd / info / hash=0 / no-temporal-layers / open-gop / min-keyint=23 / keyint=250 / gop-lookahead=0 / bframes=4 / b-adapt=2 / b-pyramid / bframe-bias=0 / rc-lookahead=20 / lookahead-slices=5 / scenecut=40 / radl=0 / no-splice / no-intra-refresh / ctu=64 / min-cu-size=8 / no-rect / no-amp / max-tu-size=32 / tu-inter-depth=1 / tu-intra-depth=1 / limit-tu=0 / rdoq-level=0 / dynamic-rd=0.00 / no-ssim-rd / signhide / no-tskip / nr-intra=0 / nr-inter=0 / no-constrained-intra / strong-intra-smoothing / max-merge=3 / limit-refs=1 / no-limit-modes / me=1 / subme=2 / merange=57 / temporal-mvp / weightp / no-weightb / no-analyze-src-pics / deblock=0:0 / sao / no-sao-non-deblock / rd=3 / early-skip / rskip / no-fast-intra / no-tskip-fast / no-cu-lossless / b-intra / no-splitrd-skip / rdpenalty=0 / psy-rd=2.00 / psy-rdoq=0.00 / no-rd-refine / no-lossless / cbqpoffs=0 / crqpoffs=0 / rc=crf / crf=22.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpstep=4 / stats-write=0 / stats-read=0 / ipratio=1.40 / pbratio=1.30 / aq-mode=2 / aq-strength=1.00 / cutree / zone-count=0 / no-strict-cbr / qg-size=32 / no-rc-grain / qpmax=69 / qpmin=0 / no-const-vbv / sar=0 / overscan=0 / videoformat=5 / range=0 / colorprim=2 / transfer=2 / colormatrix=2 / chromaloc=0 / display-window=0cll=0,0 / min-luma=0 / max-luma=255 / log2-max-poc-lsb=8 / vui-timing-info / vui-hrd-info / slices=1 / no-opt-qp-pps / no-opt-ref-list-length-pps / no-multi-pass-opt-rps / scenecut-bias=0.05 / no-opt-cu-delta-qp / no-aq-motion / no-hdr / no-hdr-opt / no-dhdr10-opt / no-idr-recovery-sei / analysis-reuse-level=5 / scale-factor=0 / refine-intra=0 / refine-inter=0 / refine-mv=0 / refine-ctu-distortion=0 / no-limit-sao / ctu-info=0 / no-lowpass-dct / refine-analysis-type=0 / copy-pic=1 / max-ausize-factor=1.0 / no-dynamic-refine / no-single-sei / no-hevc-aq / no-svt / no-field / qp-adaptation-range=1.00

-----------------------------------------------------------------

10bit encoding

Video
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L4@Main
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 18 s 560 ms
Bit rate : 649 kb/s
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.017
Stream size : 1.44 MiB (99%)
Writing library : x265 3.1_RC1+3-3bdf06e3c628:[Windows][MSVC 1921][64 bit] 10bit
Encoding settings : cpuid=1111039 / frame-threads=3 / numa-pools=8 / wpp / no-pmode / no-pme / no-psnr / no-ssim / log-level=2 / input-csp=1 / input-res=1920x808 / interlace=0 / total-frames=445 / level-idc=0 / high-tier=1 / uhd-bd=0 / ref=3 / no-allow-non-conformance / no-repeat-headers / annexb / no-aud / no-hrd / info / hash=0 / no-temporal-layers / open-gop / min-keyint=23 / keyint=250 / gop-lookahead=0 / bframes=4 / b-adapt=2 / b-pyramid / bframe-bias=0 / rc-lookahead=20 / lookahead-slices=5 / scenecut=40 / radl=0 / no-splice / no-intra-refresh / ctu=64 / min-cu-size=8 / no-rect / no-amp / max-tu-size=32 / tu-inter-depth=1 / tu-intra-depth=1 / limit-tu=0 / rdoq-level=0 / dynamic-rd=0.00 / no-ssim-rd / signhide / no-tskip / nr-intra=0 / nr-inter=0 / no-constrained-intra / strong-intra-smoothing / max-merge=3 / limit-refs=1 / no-limit-modes / me=1 / subme=2 / merange=57 / temporal-mvp / weightp / no-weightb / no-analyze-src-pics / deblock=0:0 / sao / no-sao-non-deblock / rd=3 / early-skip / rskip / no-fast-intra / no-tskip-fast / no-cu-lossless / b-intra / no-splitrd-skip / rdpenalty=0 / psy-rd=2.00 / psy-rdoq=0.00 / no-rd-refine / no-lossless / cbqpoffs=0 / crqpoffs=0 / rc=crf / crf=22.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpstep=4 / stats-write=0 / stats-read=0 / ipratio=1.40 / pbratio=1.30 / aq-mode=2 / aq-strength=1.00 / cutree / zone-count=0 / no-strict-cbr / qg-size=32 / no-rc-grain / qpmax=69 / qpmin=0 / no-const-vbv / sar=0 / overscan=0 / videoformat=5 / range=0 / colorprim=2 / transfer=2 / colormatrix=2 / chromaloc=0 / display-window=0cll=0,0 / min-luma=0 / max-luma=1023 / log2-max-poc-lsb=8 / vui-timing-info / vui-hrd-info / slices=1 / no-opt-qp-pps / no-opt-ref-list-length-pps / no-multi-pass-opt-rps / scenecut-bias=0.05 / no-opt-cu-delta-qp / no-aq-motion / no-hdr / no-hdr-opt / no-dhdr10-opt / no-idr-recovery-sei / analysis-reuse-level=5 / scale-factor=0 / refine-intra=0 / refine-inter=0 / refine-mv=0 / refine-ctu-distortion=0 / no-limit-sao / ctu-info=0 / no-lowpass-dct / refine-analysis-type=0 / copy-pic=1 / max-ausize-factor=1.0 / no-dynamic-refine / no-single-sei / no-hevc-aq / no-svt / no-field / qp-adaptation-range=1.00
Old 24th July 2019, 12:07   #659  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
You can do it yourself, it is very easy and very fast.
I doubt I can reproduce it that way because I believe it's a problem of your player or the way you take screenshots. If you upload both your 8 bit as well as your 10 bit encode I can take screenshots on my PC to confirm this.
Only way StaxRip could be at fault would be if it would do any color(space) conversion. That is usually not the case with YUV source and output (the StaxRip log should confirm this).
Old 24th July 2019, 12:53   #660  |  Link
Atlantis

I'm not saying it is staxrip, it could be x265. I'm going to do several more tests to find more information and report. I'm going to try taking screenshots with different player, going to try using MeGUI to encode and also try using x265 directly.
Closed Thread

Tags
aac, hdr, hevc, nvenc, staxrip, x264, x265