Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > Forum / Site Suggestions & Help

Closed Thread

Old 5th June 2019, 18:42   #1  |  Link
Dreamject

Update it

I'm too lazy to do a thesis, and I'm not familiar with English, so...

Doom9 is uncomfortable for newbies, it do not has modern features like
Autoemaling notifications
Mobile view
Fast signing in using [s]icq/jabber[/s] gmail/facebook
Comfortable wyc editor
Limited width (it is just not very comfortable to read very long lines)
So you cant just chat and have fun

It uses very old concepts, from side header

To other places

It does not see relevant (recent post fixes that) for user,
If you go to this place you will see a lot of uninteresting and not actual category, it seems it focused on DVD, but its not actual

Usually inactive categories are hided until you do not want to see them or merged with others.

With old concepts it attractive only for few users, mostly geeks. So projects do not get feedback from users, projects are unattractive to them and for creators too. Even if some of them are popular, they can look much better and have better usability. For example, MadVR looks like WinXP and its not friendly for 'randomuser', it has not traditional installer/simple view/

Updating/upgrating forum to modern forum should makes it more attractive. It could be an alpha release in first time with moved database in different place at least for testing

xenforo is wow, like nfeteam.org/forum . it can looks dangerous to change all for people who get used to it, but its still possilble even in same vbulletin but more modern version. https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/

BTW you just cant see existed topics in most cases, cause default policy hides 'inactive' threads and you cant switch them easily and for ever. May be it was good in 2009 to reduce forum load and stimulate activity, but now it means that >95% of forum threads are dead.

Last edited by Dreamject; 5th June 2019 at 18:58.
Old 5th June 2019, 19:08   #2  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Doom9 is uncomfortable for newbies, it do not has modern features like
Not uncomfortable enough it seems.
Quote:
Autoemaling notifications
They used to work ok, recent problem.
Quote:
Top Blue bar, "New Posts" and "Quick Links/Todays Posts".
Quote:
Fast signing in
Why not just tick "Remember Me" when you sign in.
Quote:
cant just chat and have fun
Not a concept that is understood here.
Quote:
Forum rules - last revision 10/25/2009
When you've found a good rule, stick with it.
Quote:
Usually inactive categories are hided until you do not want to see them or merged with others.
Inside invidividual forums, you can (at bottom of page) select eg "Last 2 Weeks".

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
Old 5th June 2019, 19:20   #3  |  Link
Dreamject

~_~ may be it has equivalents, but I can not parse them enought with my user experience. It's like somebody ask me how many floppy disk do you usually use to install windows and what is the best case for them?

For example in usual forum if you write in some place you automatically receive notification to email. You do not need to subscribe manually, choose what kind of subscribe do you need, how many times in week do you want. Information moves very fast, just have fun and do not press tons of buttons for simplest things.

>Inside invidividual forums, you can (at bottom of page) select eg "Last 2 Weeks".
I spent about 10 minutes to see it, I never saw this buttons before. And its not permanent. For example, 99.99% of users do not use this feature, so threads dead on 0.01% just because of its button. Even if you use it, they are mostly unrelevant

Most of categories/subcategories not interesting->they are garbage
I say about usability, not possibility issues. You can register for example in xenforo and compare it

Last edited by Dreamject; 5th June 2019 at 19:29.
Old 5th June 2019, 19:31   #4  |  Link
sneaker_ger

You can set the "Default Thread Age Cut Off" in your control panel. Though I agree the default for all users could be a little higher.

https://forum.doom9.org/profile.php?do=editoptions
Old 5th June 2019, 19:31   #5  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamject View Post
Most of categories/subcategories not interesting->they are garbage
Well, then Doom9 is clearly not for you.
I understand that you seem to be very keen on improving this forum to your liking. Don't get your hopes up.
Old 5th June 2019, 20:17   #6  |  Link
Dreamject

>I understand that you seem to be very keen on improving this forum to your liking
*to people liking

I know a little how communities works, it usually dies without new information, new information usually generated by new people. Old members has deformation and it's okay, but...
For example, when I bought bicycle I had not friend with it. Okay, my town has bike community "#1", but I never met with it before -> I asked admins 'Can you invite me in your chat (like whatsapp group), they do not have any chat and do not want to create it, cause its will have a lot of flood... I created my group so you can find bike partners easily everyday, #1 community meets once in month/some month.

So, my community was popular for teenagers mostly, #1 is popular mostly for >35-40 yo guys. After I leave my city community was closed cause #1 community has greater coverage for people... But its absolutely unfriendly for new/young people, most people will be eliminated, and its bad. As result their community IRL is very small group of people, but if random guy wanna just walk on bike with random guy, he cant cause of politics of #1 community.
As for me, its sad/bad for most of people.

Last edited by Dreamject; 5th June 2019 at 20:21.
Old 14th June 2019, 15:04   #7  |  Link
shae

I mostly prefer older-style forums. New ones tend to rely too much on Javascript, and are heavier.

But I agree some things could be improved. In particular:

Quote:
>Inside invidividual forums, you can (at bottom of page) select eg "Last 2 Weeks".
I spent about 10 minutes to see it, I never saw this buttons before. And its not permanent. For example, 99.99% of users do not use this feature
I too don't see a reason for that feature. The subforums have pagination so there's no harm in showing older topics. I think it's the only forum I ever saw using such a feature.

Last edited by shae; 14th June 2019 at 15:06.
Old 15th June 2019, 04:12   #8  |  Link
Swede
Deputy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shae View Post
I too don't see a reason for that feature. The subforums have pagination so there's no harm in showing older topics. I think it's the only forum I ever saw using such a feature.
I agree. Changed the default in every forum to 'Show all threads'
Old 15th June 2019, 12:53   #9  |  Link
Gser

Just chat and have fun? What will these crazy kids think of next. When I was young we were miserable and did it in silence!
Old 19th June 2019, 17:10   #10  |  Link
SaurusX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
I agree. Changed the default in every forum to 'Show all threads'
Thank you. The auto-hide of older threads always bugged me, since you couldn't just read a listing of threads.
Old 27th June 2019, 23:13   #11  |  Link
Dreamject

>Just chat and have fun? What will these crazy kids think of next
I thought its Russian bug, but you ... Many years ago uncomfortable things was quite popular and nothing bad if you use uncomfortable things. Internet was slow, most of thing was unusable.
Now, people have smartphones, games, speedy internet and lot of timekillers.
So, choice is much simpler - if its fun and comfortable - lets have fun ^_^. If its not comfortable - its not fun- just do not use this.
Old 28th June 2019, 18:50   #12  |  Link
lvqcl

Quote:
So, choice is much simpler - if its fun and comfortable - lets have fun ^_^. If its not comfortable - its not fun- just do not use this.
We want meaningful discussions, not some random "fun".
Old 29th June 2019, 03:49   #13  |  Link
Swede
Deputy

Ok. Enough fun. Thread closed.
Closed Thread