Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 4th October 2015, 15:42   #33361  |  Link
aufkrawall

Thanks for the bugfixes and especially the new AS version.

I know that I don't tell you anything new when I speak of the brightness issue the sharpen algorithms have.
This example doesn't have a great video quality, but I think it shows the issue well enough (1080p -> WQHD):

madVR SuperRes (strength 2, radius 0.66):

madVR SuperRes + 0.2 AS (after SR):

Even with this low sharpen strength, some things get noticeably brighter in an inconvenient way and madVR's SuperRes alone doesn't fight the upscaling blur (I don't want to use super-XBR with high sharpness since it has big problems with ringing of the source). FS or LS are even worse.

Shiandow's SuperRes makes the image crispy without altering the brightness in some areas too much:

It has the problem of boosting some lines too much and this can look weird, yes.
But I think this is mostly a problem with very low res content. It's hardly noticeable with 1080p -> WQHD, unlike the increasing brightness with AS.

madVR SuperRes + AS:

Shiandow SuperRes:

For this reasons, I'd be very thankful if you could offer Shiandow's algorithm as an alternative option (e.g. replace the mostly useless radius option with it). Maybe it would be possible to improve sharpens algorithms to prevent brightness issue, but this might consume a lot of time and success maybe isn't granted.
Another reason would be that AS isn't quite cheap. It has been ported to ReShade and it eats up 15% performance of GTX 980 OC, which is a lot on top of SuperRes.
I hope it wouldn't cost too much time to implement it (e.g. in comparison to improving sharpen algorithms), otherwise I wouldn't ask for it.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2015, 18:52   #33362  |  Link
Dogway

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
It's not that hard to implement. The question is how to make script comparisons work correctly. I suppose I could add it as "runtimeInSeconds" or maybe "runtimeInMinutes"?
Were you expecting an answer? I see you haven't added it for the last three versions, is it difficult? Personally runtimeInMinutes is fine, I can't answer the your first point.
Dogway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2015, 19:30   #33363  |  Link
baii

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRyche View Post
Well that's a pain. Oh well, I'd rather have NNEDI3 working properly so I guess I'll do just that. Thanks for the suggestion nevcairiel.
I been running nnedi3 fine on amd win 10. I use the driver from windows update.
try uninstall old driver from device manager (check remove the driver)
or try DDU.
baii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2015, 19:43   #33364  |  Link
XRyche

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Has Display Driver Uninstaller been suggested before?
http://www.wagnardmobile.com/forums/...4a0da209cb9bc2
Quote:
Originally Posted by baii View Post
I been running nnedi3 fine on amd win 10. I use the driver from windows update.
try uninstall old driver from device manager (check remove the driver)
or try DDU.
As I told aufkrawall, I use DDU every time I change a display driver. As far as updating third party drivers via Windows Update, well I haven't done that in years. The individual manufacturers know their own hardware a lot better than Microsoft does.

I'm just going to chalk it up to upgrading from Windows 8.1 instead of doing a complete and clean install of Windows 10 damaged OpenCL on my system.

This was the first time I actually "upgraded" my OS instead of doing a full and clean install. You live and learn. I appreciate the suggestion though.
Old 4th October 2015, 22:19   #33365  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
You don't have "notify media player about cropped black bars" activated, do you?
I don't have that option activated, no. I'll try to get a digicam recording of the problem up soon.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 00:06   #33366  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi.hamid View Post
for gtx 980ti and i5 4690 what is the best settings?
thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Try the settings suggested here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?...097#pid1849097.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 00:34   #33367  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi.hamid View Post
thanks for help
that link is to complicated for me because I am a beginner and also not good enough in English language.
what you think about below link is it good for me?
https://imouto.my/madvr/
Personally I do not agree with many of those settings choices.

Especially:

"Using any of the sharpeners in 'upscaling refinement' section is not recommended because they are better used at pre-upscaling state in 'processing -> image enhancement' section."

I usually watch Anime and I prefer subtle sharpening, I do not want the image to look like it has been aggressively sharpened. I almost always prefer sharpening in 'upscaling refinement' not 'image enhancement'.

Many other choices in that guide seem odd to me as well, nothing is too crazy but it simply does not agree with my experience. For example, the chroma upscaling settings are completely overkill when limited by GPU power in anyway, it is better to spend that effort elsewhere.
Old 5th October 2015, 01:27   #33368  |  Link
XMonarchY

Thanks for the new version, madshi! It fixed a few things for me, buuuut..:
- Still no fix for stutters after pause & resume?
- Still no updated SuperRes for Chroma Upscaling?
Old 5th October 2015, 02:02   #33369  |  Link
Magik Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Warner306, Excellent guide you got there. Is it possible to update this using GTX 960? Thanks again
Magik Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 02:11   #33370  |  Link
Sunset1982

got a GTX 960 too. Could help with testing some settings...
Old 5th October 2015, 02:56   #33371  |  Link
Anima123

There's power state issue by using madVR, when I switched the image doubler from NNEDI3 64 neurons to super-xbr, there's a lot of dropped frames, and the present queue cannot be filled.

Using less gpu-intensive algorithms can decrease the speed of the fan, and hence the noise. How would I do to let the GPU chose the power-state correctly?
Anima123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 02:57   #33372  |  Link
seiyafan

Currently when I use ctrl-J for stats it only shows the present time but not rendering time, how do I make rendering time to show up?
Thx!
seiyafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 03:05   #33373  |  Link
leandronb

hi guys. i am using madvr version 0.88.16.
i am having a problem with a single avi file.
i use my display mode swith like this:
1080p60, 1080p59, 1080p50, 1080p30, 1080p29, 1080p25, 1080p24, 1080p23
my avi file is at 29,970fps but when i go fullscreen at madvr it changes the screen refresh rate to 24p, so the video is unwatchable.
when i delete all the lines and leave only 1080p29 it go to correct screen refresh rate. but if i add 1080p29, 1080p23, it prefer 1080p23.
anyone know how to solve this?
leandronb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 03:05   #33374  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anima123 View Post
There's power state issue by using madVR, when I switched the image doubler from NNEDI3 64 neurons to super-xbr, there's a lot of dropped frames, and the present queue cannot be filled.
What GPU?
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 03:29   #33375  |  Link
Anima123

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
What GPU?
nVidia 880M
Anima123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 05:39   #33376  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiyafan View Post
Currently when I use ctrl-J for stats it only shows the present time but not rendering time, how do I make rendering time to show up?
Thx!
Did you change any of the "when and how shall the GPU be flushed:" settings?

You need a 'wait' step for "... after last render step" to be able to display rendering times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anima123 View Post

Using less gpu-intensive algorithms can decrease the speed of the fan, and hence the noise. How would I do to let the GPU chose the power-state correctly?
Have you tried changing the flush options? Using 'flush & wait (loop)' for "... after last render step" might help.

Last edited by Asmodian; 5th October 2015 at 05:56.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 06:18   #33377  |  Link
har3inger

Subtitles glitch out now. When a file is first launched and full-screen'd, subs don't render until you right click the video frame or do something else to kick it out of full screen exclusive. From that point on they render fine.

Problem is fixed upon reverting to 0.89.5

Edit: This is on xySubfilter/LAVsplitter/MPCHC btw. Running in D3D11 render path, using FSE, with 64 bit build.

Last edited by har3inger; 5th October 2015 at 19:45.
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 06:20   #33378  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magik Mark View Post
Warner306, Excellent guide you got there. Is it possible to update this using GTX 960? Thanks again
I have two guides I maintain. The intent was to show settings for a low, medium and high scenario. I don't think it is possible to log settings for a large number of graphics cards because there are too many variables involved and it would become too convoluted. Thanks for the offer, though.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 07:19   #33379  |  Link
krille

Subtitles in Potplayer does not work with 0.89.6.
krille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 07:45   #33380  |  Link
Telion

Hi madshi!

I have a little request regarding toggle debanding keyboard shortcut behaviour. Let me explain a bit first. I usually use either a high debanding or no debanding during several files in a series. If I'd switch through GUI, it's all plain and simple - the radiobutton is always at "high" position and I can just toggle only the checkbox. Obviously I want to speed up things by using keyboard shortcuts, but the different story begins here. For example, I start from debanding at "high" but off and want to turn it on. So I press Ctlr-Alt-Shift-A twice (OSD shows off->high) and then hit F2 to save. Everything goes as expected. Afterwards, I want to switch it back off and repeat the same sequence, OSD showing high->off. But now it turns out that not only the checkbox was toggled - the radiobutton was also set to "low" value, so next time I'd need to press Ctlr-Alt-Shift-A four times, going all the way through off->low->medium->high. I humbly ask you to change this behaviour so that the radiobutton won't get reset from its initial value if the final result of keypresses is "off" at the moment of releasing all keys in the shortcut combination. It's not that I'm too bothered with two extra keypresses - I just want to get used to the same keypress sequence for toggling debanding on and off and pay no attention to its initial state or OSD.

Last edited by Telion; 5th October 2015 at 07:48.
Telion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling