Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 14th January 2016, 23:39   #35341  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Fair enough, but does it matter if we don't like Aero and have it disabled in W7? It's not all that clear whether DWM is just the fancy name for that Aero thing that makes desktop windows transparent
Leave Aero enabled, but disable transparency. That way your desktop is drawn in 3D instead of 2D.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 23:50   #35342  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
Leave Aero enabled, but disable transparency. That way your desktop is drawn in 3D instead of 2D.
Thing is, I don't even like the "glass" effects and I don't see why I should pay for GPU consumption when using the windows desktop. It can apparently be disabled(at least in W7) but I'm mostly asking whether DWM has any impact on mVR itself. I don't see what's wrong with 2D desktop windows, that's how I like them anyway. If I want to be thrilled by my GPU, I just fire up mVR
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 23:55   #35343  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

Question to all - anybody who have LG TV(or other TV models with "passive 3D") can do 3D output using madVR ??
Old 15th January 2016, 00:01   #35344  |  Link
jmone

I think I've found the 3D issue for me in MC and it has something to do with "Bookmarks" and how playback is commenced (100% repeatable):
- If I play the 3D MKV from the beginning it works.
- If I seek while playing it works.
- If I double stop (reset book mark) then playback will commence from the beginning and 3D works
- If I stop/play (so playback commences from where I left off and not from the begining) it will go to SBS / using D3D9. If I try to force D3D11 in the madVR Settings it will crash MC.

My test setup was as simple as I could get it:
- Fresh install of madVR with default settings (but Windows Exclusive unchecked) No other changes
- Put Win 10 64-Bit Desktop into 3D
- Put the nVidia Control Panel into 1080/23hz/3D (so no switching is required by madVR)
- Commence playback testing

I'll cross post this over at MC as well.

Thanks
Nathan

Last edited by jmone; 15th January 2016 at 08:02.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 01:38   #35345  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL_DK View Post
Hello ... I just bought a Panasonic TX-55CX700. I have a problem with obtaining 1080p/60Hz 4:4:4. AMD is set to Full RGB. madVR to 0-255. Panasonic is set to "HDMI RGB RANGE" Full. But the only thing I see is 4:2:2. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong. I had no problem with my Samsung TV.
Try 24hz?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 02:25   #35346  |  Link
har3inger

I have a bug on my setup that cropped up recently, after the 90.x builds, not sure if anyone else experiences this:

Subtitles rendered in black bars will play at 1x speed even if video is set to 2x speed. Leads to desync.
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 02:51   #35347  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Hello ... I just bought a Panasonic TX-55CX700. I have a problem with obtaining 1080p/60Hz 4:4:4. AMD is set to Full RGB. madVR to 0-255. Panasonic is set to "HDMI RGB RANGE" Full. But the only thing I see is 4:2:2. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong. I had no problem with my Samsung TV.
go to picture -> options settings and use 1080p Pixel by 4 pixels it's the closes you can get at 1080p. pure direct mode should result in a better all over picture. but chroma test picture doesn't really work.
the general scaler in this TV is bad.

UHD 4:4:4 works flawlessly with 4K pure direct mode.

23p doesn't really work on this TV so don't bother. is smooth motion or judder.

feel free to make a new thread I know a lot about this screen.
huhn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 05:25   #35348  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Thing is, I don't even like the "glass" effects and I don't see why I should pay for GPU consumption when using the windows desktop. It can apparently be disabled(at least in W7) but I'm mostly asking whether DWM has any impact on mVR itself. I don't see what's wrong with 2D desktop windows, that's how I like them anyway. If I want to be thrilled by my GPU, I just fire up mVR
Almost everything will benefit from having it on. Try dragging a window around back and forth with it on and off. Which looks smoother?
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 05:51   #35349  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Try 24hz?
Post deleted.

Last edited by Warner306; 15th January 2016 at 06:13.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 06:45   #35350  |  Link
omarank

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
My projector doesn't support frame packed 3D at 50p/60p, AFAIK. I'm not sure if many other display do?
I am not sure either, but if there is a utility to check that capability different users can confirm whether their TV has it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
And when presenting 3D, all I can do is tell Direct3D11/DXGI that I want to render & present stereo content. I can't configure whether I want frame packed, side-by-side, row interleaved or whatever. That's all outside of my control.
I think you can create Row/Column Interleaved and Checkerboard frames from stereo frames and output as 2D, just like you output SBS as a fallback method. For passive 3D sets, Row/Column Interleaved output should result in higher image quality as compared to frame packed 3D where the TV will use its internal processing to convert to Interleaved.
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 06:59   #35351  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
I think you can create Row/Column Interleaved and Checkerboard frames from stereo frames and output as 2D, just like you output SBS as a fallback method. For passive 3D sets, Row/Column Interleaved output should result in higher image quality as compared to frame packed 3D where the TV will use its internal processing to convert to Interleaved.
It's a good idea, i think it's can help
Old 15th January 2016, 08:04   #35352  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
Almost everything will benefit from having it on.
even FSE?
Old 15th January 2016, 08:47   #35353  |  Link
TheRyuu
warpsharpened

Quote:
even FSE?
FSE, like its name implies, will bypass the DWM. So from that standpoint it's neutral. But you really shouldn't have to disable the dwm for anything.

Last edited by TheRyuu; 15th January 2016 at 09:34.
TheRyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 11:25   #35354  |  Link
XTrojan

Quote:

And your TV actually understands that? I think that's one possible 3D format, but not a lot of TVs can handle it.

I don't subtitles should be a problem for the way madVR renders 3D. madVR simply draws all subtitles on both left and right eye view at the same position. I think that should work just fine.

I have an nvidia windows 8.1 machine and 3D works just fine here. I will probably upgrade to windows 10 sooner or later, but I doubt it will make a difference.
It's basically 23fps 2160p, but when you enable "side by side" or "over under", vertical or horizontal resolution gets cut in half as it combines two sides into 3D or over/under into 3D. Most TVs should support this, it doesn't require 3D planes either since one side = one eye, and subtitles are rendered at both. The downside is that 4k is needed otherwise it's gonna be something like 960x1080 or 1920x540, no software is needed as the TV does all of the work, the player only needs to show the MVC stream at right or left and 2D stream at other, with subtitles at both.

http://www.roadtovr.com/wp-content/u...s-example.jpeg
Side by Side without the TV combining them to 3D, MVC stream at right, original at left.

If MadVR can handle 3D subtitles without it bugging, then sure I have no issues using frame-packed, it's just that my past experience subtitles are 2D which is unacceptable or they are 3D but without the 3D information/plane which causes buggyness.

Last edited by XTrojan; 15th January 2016 at 11:32.
XTrojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 12:34   #35355  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRyuu View Post
FSE, like its name implies, will bypass the DWM. So from that standpoint it's neutral. But you really shouldn't have to disable the dwm for anything.
Thought so, so to make myself perfectly clear that quote from madshi doesn't appear to apply to FSE in which case W7 is just as good as W8?

I don't care for bs 3D effects on my desktop windows and I only care for FSE in mVR.
Old 15th January 2016, 12:40   #35356  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

Quote:
I just bought a Panasonic TX-55CX700. I have a problem with obtaining 1080p/60Hz 4:4:4. AMD is set to Full RGB. madVR to 0-255. Panasonic is set to "HDMI RGB RANGE" Full. But the only thing I see is 4:2:2. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong. I had no problem with my Samsung TV.
AFAIK, Panasonic always (any model) converts RGB to YCbCr 4:2:2 for internal processing. Last series are capable to pass YCbCr 4:4:4 in 'pure direct' mode, but I'm not sure its same for TX-55CX700 and anyway with YCbCr in the videodriver you will lose luma information even more than chroma with RGB.
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 12:54   #35357  |  Link
MrBonk

Quote:
Fair enough, but does it matter if we don't like Aero and have it disabled in W7? It's not all that clear whether DWM is just the fancy name for that Aero thing that makes desktop windows transparent
Video Playback in the old DX9 exclusive pack is essentially perfect here with Aero disabled in W7.

Aero is horse garbage anyway, input lag and performance issues and stuttering galore when it interacts with things it shouldn't..
Not giving people the ability to disable Vsync after W7 is strange.

Quote:
Thought so, so to make myself perfectly clear that quote from madshi doesn't appear to apply to FSE in which case W7 is just as good as W8?

I don't care for bs 3D effects on my desktop windows and I only care for FSE in mVR.
DWM in W7 isn't good. But also enabling Aero in W7 is what enables DX11 FSE, with Aero disabled it uses DX9 FSE.
In my past testing with a GTX 980, DX9 FSE had faster rendering times.

The only benefit from DWM in W7 is Vsync when streaming video through a web browser.

Last edited by MrBonk; 15th January 2016 at 13:05.
MrBonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 13:08   #35358  |  Link
XTrojan

I have a question regarding the upcoming UHD Blurays.

Will Dolby HDR and HDR10 be supported? And how will ripping work with HDCP 2.2 protection?

I heard that currently Nvidia nor AMD doesn't support HDR, but upcoming AMD Polaris will.
XTrojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 13:36   #35359  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrojan View Post
And how will ripping work with HDCP 2.2 protection?
Decrypting will likely be your responsibility, madVR does not use any protected paths, i.e. a HDCP display would not be required.
But as of today there are neither discs nor decryption software available. It's too early for those questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrojan View Post
I heard that currently Nvidia nor AMD doesn't support HDR, but upcoming AMD Polaris will.
Currently no special HDR hardware support is required by madvr as it does not output any HDR metadata. Madshi explained it at bit here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...ostcount=34630

Full fixed function 10 bit HEVC decoding is currently only available on Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 SE, GTX 950, GTX 960. For AMD and Intel it will probably come with Polaris/Kaby Lake. A fast CPU might be able to at least do 2160p24 in software, though.

I will leave the answer about the different HDR variants to madshi but I'm pretty sure not all of them are supported at the moment. Nev and madshi will probably require at least the specs and samples and we might not get the latter before we can decrypt the discs (metadata might even be in playlist file, not HEVC SEI). Let's hope the new encryption will not be too big of a hurdle.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 13:36   #35360  |  Link
apgood

Got 3D working in jriver mc using amd r9 270x. I needed to install crimson 16.1 hotfix, latest MadVR and LAV. The other thing I had to do in my projector is swap which eye comes first from "normal" to "swapped".

At first the video was a bit jerky but once I reduced all the scaling algorithms to no more than about super-xbr 100 or was fine.
apgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling