Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 14th November 2019, 19:16   #6881  |  Link
v0lt

1. I showed how an incorrect frame size reduction in MPC-HC degrades the image. This is a defect. MPC-BE has no such problem.
2. MPC-BE has the ability to interpolate using the Lanczos method. This is a feature. There is no such feature in MPC-HC.

For me, these are two different cases. If the feature is not available, then it is simply not used. If there is a defect, then it is wrong to say "everything is fine".

PS: This is not the first time that the question has been asked "how is MPC-BE different from MPC-HC"? And every time we answer, we hear "nobody uses it", "your feature implementation is not good enough" and other similar arguments. People ask a question, but they don’t need an answer? All this is sad.
v0lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2019, 00:35   #6882  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0lt View Post
Liisachan
You underestimate the problem. Video flickers when reducing the frame size in EVR-CP (in the MPC-HC implementation) as opposed to a static frame. Other issues are becoming noticeable. It is impossible to watch. This is worse than system EVR.
I made a comparative video. It is better to look at a scale of 100% (Alt + 2).
I fully agree with you that in this case, MPC-BE is much better, and for some users, this difference may be critically important. This is clearly a valid answer to the original question by ikarad: “I would like to know [...] the differences between mpc-hc and mpc-be?” showing one of the differences; the difference is significant and objectively there, easily ABX-able (most testers would give the same answer if asked which looks better in double-blind tests).

I'm sorry if I sounded like I was underestimating that. I'm a typesetter, and from my point of view, the problem of MPC-HC is actually bigger in my comparison: one can't read the hardsubbed text at all on MPC-HC, while one can read "From the International Space Station" on MPC-BE. Perhaps for others, here I may sound like overestimating the difference based on what is minor difference for them... Obviously, what is important is different from person to person, because they think differently and use media players differently.

Also, while this is one of the clear differences between the two, many people may feel that this difference is not important for them, not because they're underestimating it, but because they simply use different settings such as madVR. Personally, I still often use VMR9 on MPC-HC where I can explicitly select the resizer=Bicubic. Perhaps this resizer is still slightly worse than MPC-BE's, though, if BE internally uses something like Lanczos3 or Lanczos4 of AviSynth. What I watch is mostly old anime and so for me most video files are still 640x480. I do watch newer ones too, but I seldom, if ever, resize a video smaller than the original (e.g. 50% or less). But that's just for me

Anyway, it would be ideal if there are healthy competitions among different open-source media players, each dev trying to improve their software, freely sharing good ideas and freely modifying rival's source-code. Isn't that the beauty of open-source? I respect every one of open-source developers who works as a free person, refusing to be “bought” by big companies. I know what they're doing is difficult because people have real life, and a person has only a limited amount of time. Gabest is no more with us. Officially, MPC-HC is no more active either. We have no reasons at all to disrespect the current, semi-official clsid2 builds of MPC-HC as a whole even if it has weakness in some areas. It's not like I'm trying to underestimate the difference of EVR-CP. I didn't know this difference, and I learned new things. Thanks for taking time to make this demo mp4. It's very enlightening. And thanks for creating MPC-BE in the first place
Liisachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2019, 15:05   #6883  |  Link
Zulithe

Just a heads up, the main nightly build download page on yadi.sk won't allow direct downloads right now. Download limit exceeded.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2019, 03:50   #6884  |  Link
v0lt

@Zulithe
Yes, there was a problem yesterday. There are no download restrictions today.
Old 20th November 2019, 19:39   #6885  |  Link
Zulithe

Well, maybe not when you posted that, but the restrictions are back again The mirror (linked from your sig) isn't allowing downloads either, though it is not displaying the same error. Just download links never actually download.
Old 21st November 2019, 07:04   #6886  |  Link
mariner

HDR output

Greetings Alexis and v0lt, thanks for the effort to keep Gabest's project alive.
As more display monitors are getting HDR capabilities, would it be possible to include HDR as an output option, for both original HDR encoded content, as well as a feature to upscale SDR to HDR?
Many thanks and best regards,
mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2019, 07:27   #6887  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

HDR -> SDR support only by internal EVR-CP and it's not support HDR passthrough - for it you can use madVR.
Bug - maybe if someone sponsors the purchase of TV with HDR i try to implement HDR passthrough in MPC Video Renderer.
Old 21st November 2019, 09:06   #6888  |  Link
Grimsdyke

Download is again rejected on Yadi. Are there other places to download latest builds/nightlies ??
Grimsdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2019, 19:29   #6889  |  Link
amayra
Quality Checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimsdyke View Post
Download is again rejected on Yadi. Are there other places to download latest builds/nightlies ??
https://yadi.sk/d/hlf1lfC8mKU58/!_last

but you need to login and save it to downlad it i hope dev do something about that i did try to make script to auto update in the past but there to many site when i see this :
https://mpc-be.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4
Old 22nd November 2019, 20:06   #6890  |  Link
v0lt

Яндекс.Диск (yadi.sk) limits downloads with a certain number of downloads per day. The next day, the limit is usually reset.
We do not have a solution to this problem yet.
Old 22nd November 2019, 20:56   #6891  |  Link
Klaus1189

Too many users who want to use nightly builds, not a problem, just growing number of users
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2019, 05:04   #6892  |  Link
Zulithe

It's fine, I just wanted to make sure it was pointed out that people are experiencing the download limit. I created an account which lets you bypass it so won't be a problem for me going forward on this host.
Old 24th November 2019, 13:19   #6893  |  Link
amayra
Quality Checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0lt View Post
Яндекс.Диск (yadi.sk) limits downloads with a certain number of downloads per day. The next day, the limit is usually reset.
We do not have a solution to this problem yet.
i mean you"BE Team" have repository and sometime you change the host without notifications i hope in the future to stuck up to one host file
so my script "auto-updater" can find the last version easy
Old 25th November 2019, 16:15   #6894  |  Link
hubi73

There is a version of 1.5.4.4905 with different size and two virus scanners found something in it.

https://yadi.sk/d/hlf1lfC8mKU58/1.5.4.4905 MPC-BE.1.5.4.4905.x64-installer.zip 12,9 MB (unzipped)
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/...2a11/detection > clean

https://www.videohelp.com/software/M...ns#downloadold MPC-BE.1.5.4.4905.x64-installer.zip 13,8 MB (unzipped)
and
https://yadi.sk/d/r7JYQ2NjHvE4lA/Bet...old/1.5.4.4905 MPC-BE.1.5.4.4905.x64-installer.zip 13,8 MB
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/...2c8d/detection > 2 detections

All are official links form V0lt on this site https://mpc-be.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4

Any explanation? Does it contain adware?

Last edited by hubi73; 25th November 2019 at 16:20.
hubi73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2019, 18:26   #6895  |  Link
edwdevel

Hi, I have not used MPC-BE in months, and suddenly at work build 2548 and 4850 abend immediately upon trying to open a video file- MPC-BE does come up, open video selection sreens, and promptly abend. At work, we have implemented new virus software, which may explain the current immediate abends (if the software "fixed" the virus). So, the question is: is there any way to determine if this is what caused the immediate abend? I can run MPC-BE under visual studio and stop at the crash, if this helps.

Obviously, one hopes that no virus was inserted into MPC-BE.
edwdevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2019, 18:37   #6896  |  Link
v0lt

hubi73
Perhaps reacted to "Inno Setup 6.0" or "Inno Download Plugin 1.6".

I recommend using "Inno setup 5.6.1" and "Inno Download Plugin 1.5.1", but people can use other components.

Last edited by v0lt; 25th November 2019 at 18:50.
Old 25th November 2019, 18:56   #6897  |  Link
v0lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwdevel View Post
... So, the question is: is there any way to determine if this is what caused the immediate abend? I can run MPC-BE under visual studio and stop at the crash, if this helps.
Yes. You can build the debug version and run it.
A small compilation guide - https://sourceforge.net/p/mpcbe/code...ompilation.txt
Old 25th November 2019, 19:39   #6898  |  Link
hubi73

@V0lt
Who compiled/created the exe in the link with the shorter file https://yadi.sk/d/hlf1lfC8mKU58/!_last, is it you?
hubi73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2019, 20:11   #6899  |  Link
amayra
Quality Checker

so if you don't use SourceForge how about use GitLab or Bitbucket as file host only if you don't like GitHub
Old 26th November 2019, 00:47   #6900  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubi73 View Post
There is a version of 1.5.4.4905 with different size and two virus scanners found something in it.
VirusTotal/Jotti are not so reliable. It has so many different engines (some of which may be crappy) that one or two false positives are not so rare.
Liisachan is offline   Reply With Quote