Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 7th May 2018, 16:29   #50721  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojo666 View Post
In my system, to get rid of problems introduced by last spring update i needed just to uninstall AMD 18.4.1 (they claim this driver is for spring update) using DDU, then reistalled latest official amd 18.2.1. Now all goes perfectly again and i see lower timing.
Ive had issues with everything 18.3x onwards, 18.2.2 is my current stable.

I tried 18.4.1 thought, its shafted FSE for me, black screens and loss of HDMI all over the place.

With not being a gamer though its fine to just sit on an old driver and just enjoy my HTPC.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 17:25   #50722  |  Link
mrmojo666

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
Ive had issues with everything 18.3x onwards, 18.2.2 is my current stable.

I tried 18.4.1 thought, its shafted FSE for me, black screens and loss of HDMI all over the place.

With not being a gamer though its fine to just sit on an old driver and just enjoy my HTPC.
yes i remember our discussions.
the 18.4.x are not only for games , they should support 1803 win10 and should activate DRM for 4k netflix. But they mess all things with 1803 plus netflix still 1080 lol
mrmojo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 21:32   #50723  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammerz View Post
Switch to a completely different resolution in Windows before trying the custom resolution steps. Making sure to remove any existing customizations.
Tried it now, no go. Still same error. "Rejected by driver."
Oh well, it was a long shot.
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2018, 01:08   #50724  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
Tried it now, no go. Still same error. "Rejected by driver."
Oh well, it was a long shot.
I also have a GTX 1080. I get around this problem using the utility CRU (which stands for "Custom Resolution Utility"). I use it to create a 23.976 custom resolution (and others as well), which madVR can then use and optimize. It works at the OS level, not the GPU driver level, and so bypasses the Nvidia quirk.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2018, 02:51   #50725  |  Link
har3inger

Guys, I found out the solution for the FSE flicker/freeze on 1803.

It's Focus Assist bugging out. Even if it's off, you need to make sure all the options underneath it are disabled. You can find the relevant page by typing focus assist into the start menu.
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2018, 07:28   #50726  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
I also have a GTX 1080. I get around this problem using the utility CRU (which stands for "Custom Resolution Utility"). I use it to create a 23.976 custom resolution (and others as well), which madVR can then use and optimize. It works at the OS level, not the GPU driver level, and so bypasses the Nvidia quirk.
Hmm, I tried it before but I was getting the same error with madVR.
Can you share please what you did in CRU to override this issue?

Maybe I did something wrong in CRU.
Old 8th May 2018, 09:00   #50727  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
Hmm, I tried it before but I was getting the same error with madVR.
Can you share please what you did in CRU to override this issue?

Maybe I did something wrong in CRU.
I don't do anything special, except make sure the OS is showing only the display's native resolutions--no madVR, Nvidia, or CRU custom ones--before I start. The CRU "reset-all.exe" will accomplish that.

I'm using a DisplayPort connection. If you're using HDMI, make sure the HDMI block is included in your CRU custom res. CRU should add it automatically, but double-check.
Old 8th May 2018, 09:08   #50728  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
I don't do anything special, except make sure the OS is showing only the display's native resolutions--no madVR, Nvidia, or CRU custom ones--before I start. The CRU "reset-all.exe" will accomplish that.

I'm using a DisplayPort connection. If you're using HDMI, make sure the HDMI block is included in your CRU custom res. CRU should add it automatically, but double-check.
What do you mean by HDMI block?
Old 8th May 2018, 10:00   #50729  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Probably a display control data block...

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2018, 10:06   #50730  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:

In my case using displayport, I have to always add extension block, new CRU versions don't add it automaticly.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2018, 14:59   #50731  |  Link
Clown shoes
King of the Jungle

Quote:

Where does one check to see if the HDMI block is included?
Clown shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2018, 17:23   #50732  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown shoes View Post
Where does one check to see if the HDMI block is included?
There's an Extension Block area below the list of standard resolutions. Click "Add" and then Add again in the lower box of the dialog. It'll pop up a list of extension blocks that includes HDMI and HDMI 2.0. Choose whichever version you're using.

That's if it's not already showing on the main screen, which it should be.
Old 8th May 2018, 19:14   #50733  |  Link
Sunset1982

I just build my new htpc with an amd rx480 on win10 (1709) with adrenalin 18.2.2 and latest madvr.

Works fine, except for the automatic hdr switching. it doesn't switch into hdr mode when a hdr file is played. Is there not automatic hdr mode on amd or ist something wrong with my setup?
Old 8th May 2018, 19:43   #50734  |  Link
huhn

the mad api needs 10 bit or it will not work.
but it is fine to send 8 bit over the cable. just take it as it is.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2018, 20:28   #50735  |  Link
sam0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post
I recently updated my HTPC (Win10) to the new April 1803 build and now when I put my videos in full screen exclusive mode, I get around 4 seconds of black screen, then when the video appears there are a few hundred dropped frames within a few seconds, and then the video finally plays smooth as normal. While this is all happening, the audio is still playing back at normal speed without interruption. So basically when I enter FSE, it takes like ~8 seconds to finally start playing back normal with zero dropped frames.
edit: Apparently it's Win10's new 'focus assist' feature which mutes notifications when doing select activities. When I enter FSE it thinks I'm playing a game and turns focus assist on. I turned focus assist off when playing games and it's fine now.

I'll leave this post up in case someone else has this issue.
Thx rahzel for sharing, I too was experiencing this very same issue with full screen exclusive (FSE) mode after W10 April 1803 update, and after I disabled the new Windows 10 focus assist feature, FSE mode works again normally without few seconds of black screen in the beginning of playback.
sam0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2018, 00:31   #50736  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
I just build my new htpc with an amd rx480 on win10 (1709) with adrenalin 18.2.2 and latest madvr.

Works fine, except for the automatic hdr switching. it doesn't switch into hdr mode when a hdr file is played. Is there not automatic hdr mode on amd or ist something wrong with my setup?
The only Prerequisites for HDR on and RX card I know are:

Set MADVR to 10 bit or higher
tick use DIRECT3D11 in general settings
set MADVR HDR to passthrough
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2018, 00:53   #50737  |  Link
Clown shoes
King of the Jungle

Quote:
Dude, thank you so much for this. I set up my custom resolutions in CRU and was immediately able to optimise my 23.976 refresh, going straight from four and a half minutes to four and a half hours!

I've been trying to get custom resolutions working for ages and had all but given up
Clown shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2018, 08:32   #50738  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown shoes View Post
Dude, thank you so much for this. I set up my custom resolutions in CRU and was immediately able to optimise my 23.976 refresh, going straight from four and a half minutes to four and a half hours!

I've been trying to get custom resolutions working for ages and had all but given up
Sounds promising, will try playing around with it more today.
Old 9th May 2018, 08:56   #50739  |  Link
Sunset1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
the mad api needs 10 bit or it will not work.
ok, thx. That did the trick.

Quote:
The only Prerequisites for HDR on and RX card I know are:

Set MADVR to 10 bit or higher
tick use DIRECT3D11 in general settings
set MADVR HDR to passthrough
Thank you!
Old 9th May 2018, 10:32   #50740  |  Link
Dorohedoro

Ok, I was able to find a custom resolution long time ago that is working flawlessly, but now I have a question because I'm doing playlists on potplayer (all of the files are exactly 23.976) and the stats for the frame repeats/drops are showing different values when the new video start, is that normal?

I'm going to explain myself a little better with an example:

With the first file (a trailer, 23.976) madvr shows that I'm going to get 1 frame repeat every 10 hours or so.. but when the playlist jumps to the actual movie (23.976 also) I get 1 frame repeat every 1.23 minutes, but it will improve slowly during the movie because at the end of the movie the stats show something like 1 frame repeat every two hours, and if the movie were longer the stats will also have better numbers, like 1 frame repeat every 3 hours or so...

So, my question is: this is just a stats "glitch" or I'm in danger to get repeated or dropped frames if I keep making playlists with potplayer? just for letting you guys know the display don't even blink when the playlist change files, so, I'm guessing that madvr is not changing the refresh rate (obviously, because every file is 23.976)... my wild assumption is that I'm still getting on the second file (the movie) the same frame repeat every 10 hours, but madvr for some reason is too slow calculating the number and is slowly improving during the movie.

Thanks!

Last edited by Dorohedoro; 9th May 2018 at 10:34.
Dorohedoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling