Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 14th October 2017, 15:57   #81  |  Link
Ben_Nicholls

Looks promising, honestly kind of surprised... I always felt SVP was quite a way ahead of MVTools.

It might just be that to use any kind of MVTools convetion in real time you have to set use awful quality settings, SVP does seem to be better optimised.

I would point out that (in my opinion) SVP only comes into its own when the artefact masking is set to maximum (and shader complexity is set to 23). I know InterFrame's default settings don't really bring out the best in SVP in many cases. Also v4 is showing big quality improvements over v3 (while the program's GUI isn't free any more the core SVPflow DLLs are still free to use in scripts).

Will do some side by side comparisons shortly.
Ben_Nicholls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2017, 11:32   #82  |  Link
Hotte

I was recently testing FRC in oder to replace Interframe/SVP for editing. I am converting 2K or 4K from 25/29.97 to 50p.

I am looking for the best motion compensation and avoid any object- or frame-blending. The only way to achieve this with FRC was to set output="flow" AND blksize=8. With any larger blocksize, FRC would start to blend moving objects in the frame. Quality="fast" was good enough to replace interframe in most cases. Very good work really!

However, I am wondering why I am getting blending free results only with the smallest blocksize and why output="auto" with various other parameter settings leads to blended rather than "morphed" objects in almost any cases.

Any ideas ?

Last edited by Hotte; 24th October 2017 at 11:35.
Hotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2017, 16:13   #83  |  Link
manolito

If you want to avoid any artifact masking by blending, skipping or whatever you might want to try the core jm_fps script from here:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...39#post1800439

FRC is based upon this script with additional artifact masking (which is often beneficial, but sometimes it is not...)

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2017, 19:13   #84  |  Link
mark0077

Hi guys, I have been using SVP for many years. I now see this thread, looks great. So whats everyone using it with, avisynth or avisynth+. Which gives better performance? I'll give it a go using whatever is recommended parameters to see if my system can handle it vs SVP (Using Interframes Film / Medium settings).
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2017, 23:59   #85  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

AVS+ is better but either way it should work just fine with default settings. There are various presets. You get better performance with "faster" preset and better quality with "slower" preset.
MysteryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 20:28   #86  |  Link
Hotte

Thanks manolito, this is a good basic script with all the functions I need. Quality is good. The only thing I missed was scene change detection. Do I have to go back to FrameRateConverter to get it ?

Also in your script, blksize determines inframe object movement behaviour. Small blksizes like 8 or 12 will morph, higher blksizes will more and more blend the movement. But in any case small movement will be handled differently than big movement. I understood this is a common concept. Itīs simple to handle with only one parameter to change for different situations. Not bad, really.
Hotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2017, 00:06   #87  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotte View Post
Thanks manolito, this is a good basic script with all the functions I need. Quality is good. The only thing I missed was scene change detection. Do I have to go back to FrameRateConverter to get it ?
You can handle scene changes using thSCD2. Setting it to 255 disables scene change detection if I'm not mixing things up.
Code:
Flow = MFlowFps(C, super, bak, fwd, num=NewNum, den=NewDen, blend=false, ml=200, mask=2, thSCD2=255)
Old 27th October 2017, 19:19   #88  |  Link
mark0077

So is anyone using this in realtime? Trying to get it running in real time here, not sure if its a runner. I'm trying the fast preset first (Using core i7 6700K at 4.5GHZ, GTX 980). I'm running this script via ffdshow which is how I also use SVP.

For ffdshow settings itself, I have it set to "Add ffdshow video source" disabled. Buffer back/ahead set to 0/15. Again this is what works well for SVP.

Heres my script so far but its definitely not smooth I assume it needs tweaking to work in ffdshow and maybe the buffer settings in ffdshow arn't optimal. I havn't seen anyone give a full example of use with ffdshow.

Quote:
Setmemorymax(1024)
SetMTMode(5,16)
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\SVP\FRC\FrameRateConverter.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\SVP\FRC\mvtools2.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\SVP\FRC\masktools2.dll")
#LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\SVP\FRC\GRunT.dll")
Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\SVP\FRC\FrameRateConverter.avsi")
Input = ffdshow_source()
SetMTMode(2)
FrameRateConverter(Input, Preset="fast")
SetMTMode(1)
GetMTMode(false) > 0 ? distributor() : last

Last edited by mark0077; 27th October 2017 at 19:40.
Old 28th October 2017, 04:03   #89  |  Link
hello_hello

mark0077,
To the best of my knowledge the ffdshow Avisynth section ignores some AviSynth functions, and I'm fairly sure changing the frame rate is one of them. It makes sense, because if you change the frame rate and it in turn changes the duration, the audio won't stay in sync.
Plus the renderer or other filters down the line probably need to know the frame rate and changing it might cause issues there.

Try putting something simple like ChangeFPS(20,1) in ffdshow's Avisynth section.

SVP is probably a different story, but I can't say I've used it for more than 10 seconds. Doesn't it install stuff for controlling it outside of ffdshow?

Do you per chance use Potplayer? Many of ffdshow's filters have been borrowed and added to Potplayer, and it should let you change the frame rate. In fact I think it comes with scripts for doing just that. Have a look in Preferences/Video/Avisynth.

Last edited by hello_hello; 28th October 2017 at 04:06.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2017, 11:06   #90  |  Link
mark0077

Thanks hello hello. Actually I use SVP DLLs without any of the additional tray icons or software and I think madVR always says the frame rate is the original rate. Not the converted rate but all still says in sync. I am hoping to replicate the same pattern with FRC. Has anyone used it via ffdshow in real time?

Last edited by mark0077; 28th October 2017 at 15:11.
Old 28th October 2017, 17:49   #91  |  Link
hello_hello

My bad... I appear to have remembered wrong. ChangeFPS() works in the ffdshow Avisynth filter, but AssumeFPS() doesn't, so FrameRateConverter should work, assuming it's not too slow.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2017, 17:00   #92  |  Link
iG0R

MysteryX
Hi. Could you give some advises how to speed up the conversion cause 4-6fps is too boring on 4790K@5GHz and 1080ti? Is it possible somehow to use also GPU for this process?
Thank you for such quality filter.
iG0R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2017, 05:46   #93  |  Link
burfadel

Quote:
Originally Posted by iG0R View Post
MysteryX
Hi. Could you give some advises how to speed up the conversion cause 4-6fps is too boring on 4790K@5GHz and 1080ti? Is it possible somehow to use also GPU for this process?
Thank you for such quality filter.
I can answer that one . In terms of using the GPU for processing, the answer is unfortunately no. For speed, it all depends on how you currently have things set up. If you use the latest (currently rev 2544) 64-bit Avisynth+ with the latest Masktools, MVTools, as well as other filters in your script, it will help with speed quite a bit!
burfadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2017, 10:43   #94  |  Link
iG0R

Quote:
Originally Posted by burfadel View Post
I can answer that one . In terms of using the GPU for processing, the answer is unfortunately no. For speed, it all depends on how you currently have things set up. If you use the latest (currently rev 2544) 64-bit Avisynth+ with the latest Masktools, MVTools, as well as other filters in your script, it will help with speed quite a bit!
Thank you for the answer.
Yes, I'm using the latest Avisynth+ (AvisynthPlus-r2544-MT.7z), MaskTools (masktools2-v2.2.10.7z), MVTools (mvtools-v2.5.11.22.zip) and FRC (FrameRateConverter-v1.2.zip) but the speed is still awful - with Preset="slowest", BlendOver=40, SkipOver=140 fps is around 1-1.2 and with Preset="Anime" fps is about 4-6.
Old 26th November 2017, 01:38   #95  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

What CPU usage are you getting? Are you using MT mode, and if so, how many threads are you using?
Old 26th November 2017, 20:56   #96  |  Link
iG0R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryX View Post
What CPU usage are you getting? Are you using MT mode, and if so, how many threads are you using?
Screenshot:
https://snag.gy/QwAs7F.jpg
The internal AviSynth Portable r2508 of MeGUI doesn't support MT though it says that it does (Error message for your reference: Script error: There is no function named 'SetMTMode') so I tried to use AviSynth MT from this post https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...09#post1817809, but after some time of processing, encoding is crashed so I decided not to use it and tried AviSynth r2544MT, I don't know why MeGUI doesn't support it and switches to internal portable r2508.
Here is my script:
Code:
SetMemoryMax(6000)
PluginPath = "C:\Program Files (x86)\MeGUI\tools\avisynth_plugin\"
LoadPlugin(PluginPath+"FrameRateConverter.dll")
LoadPlugin(PluginPath+"mvtools2.dll")
LoadPlugin(PluginPath+"masktools2.dll")
LoadPlugin(PluginPath+"GRunT.dll")
Import(PluginPath+"FrameRateConverter.avsi")
<input>
<deinterlace>
<crop>
<denoise>
<resize>
FrameRateConverter(NewNum=60, NewDen=1, Preset="slow", BlendOver=40, SkipOver=140)
PS. Sorry for such stupid question but what is the "spoiler" tag for this forum? I tried to insert screenshot as an image but didn't find the spoiler tag and without this tag my screenshot is too big to publish it in the message.

Last edited by iG0R; 26th November 2017 at 21:11.
Old 27th November 2017, 09:32   #97  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Screenshot:
https://snag.gy/QwAs7F.jpg
The internal AviSynth Portable r2508 of MeGUI doesn't support MT though it says that it does (Error message for your reference: Script error: There is no function named 'SetMTMode') so I tried to use AviSynth MT from this post https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...09#post1817809, but after some time of processing, encoding is crashed so I decided not to use it and tried AviSynth r2544MT, I don't know why MeGUI doesn't support it and switches to internal portable r2508.
According to your screen shot you're attempting to use Avisynth+ 64 Bit with Megui. Apparently, Megui does not support 64 bit Avisynth and therefore switches to the "portable" 32 bit version.

The MT error message is quite clear, Avisynth+ does not have a "SetMTMode" function. Multi-threading in AVS+ is implemented differently, see here.
Old 27th November 2017, 10:47   #98  |  Link
iG0R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
According to your screen shot you're attempting to use Avisynth+ 64 Bit with Megui. Apparently, Megui does not support 64 bit Avisynth and therefore switches to the "portable" 32 bit version.

The MT error message is quite clear, Avisynth+ does not have a "SetMTMode" function. Multi-threading in AVS+ is implemented differently, see here.
Could you advice another tool like MeGUI that supports 64bit AviSynth+? Hybrid doesn't support 64bit AviSynth+ too
Thank you, now I understand what was wrong with AviSynth+.
Old 27th November 2017, 11:16   #99  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Could you advice another tool like MeGUI that supports 64bit AviSynth+?
Staxrip. I think there's also a 64 bit version of Megui.

Last edited by Groucho2004; 27th November 2017 at 12:04.
Groucho2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2017, 12:06   #100  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Think Current ver$ of Staxrip support ONLY 64 bit [Win7+). (JFYI)

EDIT:
http://staxrip.readthedocs.io/intro.html#about

Quote:
Requirements

Windows 7 x64 or Windows 10 x64, StaxRip is x64 only
.NET 4.7
Intel Skylake or newer for HEVC/H.265 hardware encoding
NVIDIA Maxwell gen2 card or newer for HEVC/H.265 hardware encoding
AMD Polaris card or newer for HEVC/H.265 hardware encoding
AviSynth+ x64, the installer is bundled with StaxRip or alternativly VapourSynth which requires Python
EDIT: On searching StaxRip Docs (builtin StaxRip search) found no mention of MeGUI [at least for current version, x64].
http://staxrip.readthedocs.io/search...s&area=default

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 27th November 2017 at 12:36.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote