Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > DVD2AVI / DGIndex

Old 1st July 2010, 14:50   #1861  |  Link

You're welcome. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Next I'm going to invest some time into performance improvements for the save project operation.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 16:00   #1862  |  Link
Varies

neuron2
Hi! thx for many updates

recently i update program files from 2013 to 2018 and generate new license (and copypast key in the license.txt), but its fully not worked (from version 2013). What i'am doing wrong?
Old 1st July 2010, 16:04   #1863  |  Link
cweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lych_necross View Post
Driver 258.69 also causes some systems to crash when playing flash videos. I would avoid it for the time being.
There are lots of problems with the 257 series of drivers (even the stable version) according to this thread:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=171530
I will avoid updating to 257 for the time being. I'm still using the 196.21 stable version driver.
Old 1st July 2010, 16:33   #1864  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varies View Post
recently i update program files from 2013 to 2018 and generate new license (and copypast key in the license.txt), but its fully not worked (from version 2013). What i'am doing wrong?
I support individual licensing issues by email only. Send your user id and machine id and explain the problem. Thank you.
Old 1st July 2010, 18:18   #1865  |  Link
RedDwarf1
RedDwarf Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
Keeping those crackers on their toes!
These people need to spend their time in more productive ways than trying to gain free use of software that costs so little. It's not like it's costing hundreds of pounds/dollars.

They must like challenges, why not send them two sheets of paper and ask them to make Pr*#ks out of them using origami.

Quote:
* Fixed case of recovery point SEI appearing before the PPS. This fixes AVC streams cut with VideoRedo.

http://neuron2.net/dgdecnv/dgdecnv.html
That's very welcome as I use VideoRedo TVsuite V4 myself. I don't encode directly from the source TS anymore.
RedDwarf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 19:09   #1866  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
So what?
Is it accurate? I'd like to join the produced videos and not to have hiccups, duplicated frames or so.
Old 2nd July 2010, 00:08   #1867  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
Is it accurate? I'd like to join the produced videos and not to have hiccups, duplicated frames or so.
Avisynth delivers decoded frames, so the concept of key frames does not apply. Your accuracy will be determined by the reliability of the source filter's random access. I take great pains to ensure the accuracy of DG(Multi)Decode() and so if you find any bugs there you will get a very fast response from me.
Old 2nd July 2010, 04:16   #1868  |  Link

Need some testing

Would some kind souls please test the 32-bit DGIndexNV version linked below to see if it delivers faster indexing without breaking anything. I'm getting indexing about twice as fast as the 2018 release version on initial testing. Thank you.

http://neuron2.net/misc/DGIndexNV_perftest.zip

Don't forget about the role of Windows caching so be sure to perform fair testing. If you don't know what I am talking about please leave the testing to people that do.

Last edited by Guest; 2nd July 2010 at 04:25.
Old 2nd July 2010, 10:35   #1869  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Would some kind souls please test the 32-bit DGIndexNV version linked below
No changes for me, I think to be HDD limited more than CPU (I7-920@3.6) or GPU (9800GT).

Perhaps the hdd is the direction to be followed, i.e. better disk r/w?

This evening or tomorrow I'll do some tests on the workstation I use at home, 3*Raptor Raid0.

IMHO the real advantages should be seen on SDD only.

Last edited by tormento; 2nd July 2010 at 11:49.
tormento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:59   #1870  |  Link

Did you try on a full bluray project?

I have made disk related changes, not just CPU optimizations.
Old 2nd July 2010, 13:09   #1871  |  Link
hydra3333

Hmm, if I knew what you were talking about I would, but I don't, so I won't
hydra3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 13:14   #1872  |  Link

Just do it on a full bluray project and the caching will not be a factor.
Old 2nd July 2010, 13:17   #1873  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Usually I encode BD to DVD-DL size to be seen on notebook.

The project I tried with not optimized and optimized version is Shutter Island, full movie mpls.

To be clear enough: my work pc is HDD limited I suppose. Two mean seagate in raid 0 is not the culprit of performance.

Stay tuned, if I'll have some minutes free I'll try on home workstation. If you could compile a x64 version, it should be better too
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:11   #1874  |  Link

I get good gains with the test version.

But I also find that DGIndex is almost twice as fast as this test version of DGIndexNV and I can't attribute it to any CPU bottleneck, so the only possibility is that it uses _read() rather than fread(). So I will convert DGIndexNV to use _read().

I already tried unbuffered fread() but it did not help.
Old 2nd July 2010, 16:19   #1875  |  Link
Zep

Quote:
I get good gains with the test version.

But I also find that DGIndex is almost twice as fast as this test version of DGIndexNV and I can't attribute it to any CPU bottleneck, so the only possibility is that it uses _read() rather than fread(). So I will convert DGIndexNV to use _read().

I already tried unbuffered fread() but it did not help.
Same thing happened with DGIndex.

Anyway, I do remember when i first mentioned it years ago you looked into the internal caching so you bumped it up to 6 or 7
frames IIRC and DGindex speed went WAY up. You said that adding even more cache didn't help because we were CPU bound
but that was back then and these days 4Ghz i7 things may need to be looked at again.

Could there be an internal cache issue here as well?

It may also help random frame seeking to have a few GOPs decoded and cached ahead of time.
Zep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 16:23   #1876  |  Link
um3k

Whenever I open a M2T file from my HDV camera, I get this error message:

Here is a sample of a file that causes this error:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ktuzmfkx4go/Sample.m2t_0
It happens in every version of DGIndexNV that I've used, including 2018. It's only slightly annoying when I'm just doing one file, but when I do a batch operation, well, I can't do a batch operation because the error pops up with every new file and brings it to a halt.
um3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 17:05   #1877  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post
Same thing happened with DGIndex.

Anyway, I do remember when i first mentioned it years ago you looked into the internal caching so you bumped it up to 6 or 7
frames IIRC and DGindex speed went WAY up. You said that adding even more cache didn't help because we were CPU bound
but that was back then and these days 4Ghz i7 things may need to be looked at again.

Could there be an internal cache issue here as well?

It may also help random frame seeking to have a few GOPs decoded and cached ahead of time.
I'm revisiting all these issues. I'll report findings as I go.
Old 2nd July 2010, 23:36   #1878  |  Link

OK, I have now exceeded the performance of DGIndex!

I implemented low-level IO and CPU optimizations. I did it for basic stream reading, TS trim (which is now blazingly fast), and audio demux. I want to do it for video demux and then release a beta for you to beat on while I do my own regression testing.

Note that DGIndex uses slow IO for the audio demuxing; that's why I was able to beat it.

The MKV support uses the slow IO too. I haven't decided whether to bother with that for a first release. MKV files tend not to be as large as bluray file sets. Still, it would be nice to finish that at some point.

For techies: My buffer size is 4096 bytes. Raising it does not improve things, but when it starts getting quite large, performance actually decreases quite substantially.

A useful side effect is that when playing in DGIndexNV, you no longer get those annoying freezes while the (previously large) buffer fills.

Last edited by Guest; 2nd July 2010 at 23:52.
Old 3rd July 2010, 00:28   #1879  |  Link

I just indexed a bluray and demuxed an AC3 track in 5:51.
Old 3rd July 2010, 01:19   #1880  |  Link
GearX

Quote:
The MKV support uses the slow IO too. I haven't decided whether to bother with that for a first release. MKV files tend not to be as large as bluray file sets. Still, it would be nice to finish that at some point.

FWIW, I would find that very useful. When I re-encode blu-rays, I remux them to MKV first (using eac3to) to make sure I have only the streams I want. It's probably unnecessary but I find it much "cleaner". It also takes care of multiple angles and such, although I guess that's less important now that MPLS support is in.
GearX is offline   Reply With Quote