Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VapourSynth

Old 16th December 2014, 01:37   #1  |  Link
kamineko

Workflow with VapourSynth to deinterlace?

What would be the best way to use VapourSynth to deinterlace a .dv video? Mac OS X Mavericks used.

The task is to digitize old VHS tapes - the current way is generating a .dv file via Canopus DVHC100, cutting it in an AVI container, applying only telecine, crop and resize and deblock in Handbrake to generate a .mp4 file.

The weakness of the process is the deinterlacing, which is not as good as earlier rips. Details and colors are much better, due to better hardware, but an improvement for the deinterlacing is needed.

Vapoursynth and mpv (--with-vapoursynth) are already installed, but we are at a loss how to use them. QTGMC would be the way to go, but what's a sane approach to wedge VS into the workflow and also try and play with parameters?

Has anyone compiled the VapourSynth Editor for Mac already?
kamineko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 11:15   #2  |  Link
Mystery Keeper
Beyond Kawaii

In Linux you only need the base Qt framework to build VapourSynth Editor. You just go into pro directory (where file "pro.pro" is) and execute two commands:
Code:
qmake pro.pro
make release
The editor will be built in the "build" directory.
You can try that on Mac.
Old 21st December 2014, 17:25   #3  |  Link
kamineko

Compile doesn't work (Linux + Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery Keeper View Post
In Linux you only need the base Qt framework to build VapourSynth Editor. You just go into pro directory (where file "pro.pro" is) and execute two commands:
Code:
qmake pro.pro
make release
The editor will be built in the "build" directory.
You can try that on Mac.
I tried now on Mac and on Linux.

QT5 installed in Ubuntu 14.10 via ubuntu-sdk-team ppa (QT5 proper).

Step #1 - qmake pro.pro is without problems and generates a proper Makefile (attached).

All I get is:

Code:
kami@XPS12-9Q33:~/vapoursynth-editor/pro$ make release
make: *** No rule to make target 'release'.  Schluss.
A simple make:

Code:
kami@XPS12-9Q33:~/vapoursynth-editor/pro$ make
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/bin/uic ../src/settings/settingsdialog.ui -o ../generated/ui/ui_settingsdialog.h
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/bin/uic ../src/preview/preview_advanced_settings_dialog.ui -o ../generated/ui/ui_preview_advanced_settings_dialog.h
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/bin/uic ../src/preview/previewdialog.ui -o ../generated/ui/ui_previewdialog.h
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/bin/uic ../src/mainwindow.ui -o ../generated/ui/ui_mainwindow.h
g++ -c -m64 -pipe -O2 -fexpensive-optimizations -funit-at-a-time -std=c++11 -O2 -w -D_REENTRANT -fPIE -DNDEBUG -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_WIDGETS_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/mkspecs/linux-g++-64 -I. -I../src/image/zimg -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5 -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtWidgets -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtGui -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtCore -I../generated/moc -I../generated/ui -o ../generated/obj-release-64bit-gcc/helpers.o ../src/common/helpers.cpp
In file included from ../src/common/helpers.cpp:3:0:
../src/common/helpers.h:7:37: fatal error: vapoursynth/VapourSynth.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
 #include <vapoursynth/VapourSynth.h>
                                     ^
compilation terminated.
Makefile:661: recipe for target '../generated/obj-release-64bit-gcc/helpers.o' failed
make: *** [../generated/obj-release-64bit-gcc/helpers.o] Error 1
erik@XPS12-9Q33:~/vapoursynth-editor/pro$
What am I missing here? Did a make clean before; also tried make all, same results.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Makefile.txt (71.0 KB, 41 views)
Old 21st December 2014, 17:53   #4  |  Link
Are_

Maybe
Code:
$ rm -fr generated/*
befor anything.

EDIT: Now I remember, if you still have problems, it is maybe because qt4's qmake is used instead of qt5's one.
In my distro qt5's is at /usr/lib64/qt5/bin/qmake and it's not the default one, so to build this I end up doing:
Code:
$ cd pro
$ rm -fr ../generated
$ /usr/lib64/qt5/bin/qmake pro.pro
$ make -j8
EDIT2: Forget everything I wrote, I didn't read at all your error message, it says it can't find vapoursynth's headers.
Did you install it? If you did, where exactly did it install VapourSynth.h?

Last edited by Are_; 21st December 2014 at 18:17.
Are_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2014, 20:59   #5  |  Link
kamineko

vapoursynth dependency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Are_ View Post

EDIT2: Forget everything I wrote, I didn't read at all your error message, it says it can't find vapoursynth's headers.
Did you install it? If you did, where exactly did it install VapourSynth.h?
This is it. Vapoursynth is installed as a binary, via djcj's Useful Tools PPA. So no headers. I never gave this a second thought.
Old 22nd December 2014, 03:39   #6  |  Link
Mystery Keeper
Beyond Kawaii

So, it builds and works alright on Mac?
Old 22nd December 2014, 17:51   #7  |  Link
kamineko

Mac: Same error, different reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery Keeper View Post
So, it builds and works alright on Mac?
Actually, no. VS was built on the Mac, but it seems that the path can not be found. Same error message as on Linux, different reason.

I went to Linux to just make sure that I can have a successful compile at all, nobody seems to have tried it on Mac.
Old 22nd December 2014, 19:13   #8  |  Link
sl1pkn07
Pajas Mentales...

em, according to djcj's PPA's, the headers is installed through 'libvapoursynth-dev' package

see the set of packages:

utopic:
64 bits: https://launchpad.net/~djcj/+archive...+build/6657573
32 bits: https://launchpad.net/~djcj/+archive...+build/6657574

trusty:
64 bits: https://launchpad.net/~djcj/+archive...+build/6657575
32 bits: https://launchpad.net/~djcj/+archive...+build/6657576

greetings
sl1pkn07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 03:27   #9  |  Link
kamineko

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl1pkn07 View Post
em, according to djcj's PPA's, the headers is installed through 'libvapoursynth-dev' package
After installation of the dev package, the compile seemingly went without problems. Got a new directory release-64bit-gcc under the build subdirectory, with binary and icon.

But after starting it, I was just greeted with:
Code:
kami@XPS12-9Q33:~/vapoursynth-editor/build/release-64bit-gcc$ ./vsedit 
./vsedit: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/vapoursynth/libmvtools.so: undefined symbol: _Z17mvflowfpsRegisterPFvPKcS0_PFvPK5VSMapPS1_PvP6VSCorePK5VSAPIES5_P8VSPluginESE_
I got the mvtools from https://github.com/dubhater/vapoursynth-mvtools, they compiled well after addition of libfftw3-dev, but I am frankly at a loss what happens there. Do I need to copy them over somehow to get an updated libmvtools.so? A 'make install' after compilation of mvtools didn't work.
Old 23rd December 2014, 08:48   #10  |  Link
jackoneill
unsigned int

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamineko View Post
After installation of the dev package, the compile seemingly went without problems. Got a new directory release-64bit-gcc under the build subdirectory, with binary and icon.

But after starting it, I was just greeted with:
Code:
kami@XPS12-9Q33:~/vapoursynth-editor/build/release-64bit-gcc$ ./vsedit 
./vsedit: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/vapoursynth/libmvtools.so: undefined symbol: _Z17mvflowfpsRegisterPFvPKcS0_PFvPK5VSMapPS1_PvP6VSCorePK5VSAPIES5_P8VSPluginESE_
I got the mvtools from https://github.com/dubhater/vapoursynth-mvtools, they compiled well after addition of libfftw3-dev, but I am frankly at a loss what happens there. Do I need to copy them over somehow to get an updated libmvtools.so? A 'make install' after compilation of mvtools didn't work.
I don't understand how that could happen. Try:
Code:
make clean
git pull
make
in the mvtools folder and make sure to delete any old copies of libmvtools.so, like the one mentioned in the error message.
Old 23rd December 2014, 15:34   #11  |  Link
kamineko

Solution to Linux compile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackoneill View Post
I don't understand how that could happen. Try:
Code:
make clean
git pull
make
in the mvtools folder and make sure to delete any old copies of libmvtools.so, like the one mentioned in the error message.
That did the trick. For others: There is a hidden folder .lib in the vapoursynth-mvtools folder, in which the generated libmvtools.so resides. This file needs to be copied over to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/vapoursynth/
for things to work.

Now I try to port all the newfound knowledge to the mac compile.
Old 23rd December 2014, 15:42   #12  |  Link
sl1pkn07
Pajas Mentales...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamineko View Post
That did the trick. For others: There is a hidden folder .lib in the vapoursynth-mvtools folder, in which the generated libmvtools.so resides. This file needs to be copied over to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/vapoursynth/
for things to work.
or

./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/vapoursynth/
make
sudo make install
sl1pkn07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
detelecine, osx, vapoursynth