Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Closed Thread

Old 28th November 2016, 19:55   #1  |  Link
surami

Encoding 4K HDR 4:2:0 10bit BT.2020 (continuation)

This is the continuation of the Encoding 4K HDR 4:2:0 10bit BT.2020 thread.

The last evaluable post was the #202, please continue the discussion here...
Old 1st February 2017, 19:28   #2  |  Link
kabelbrand
Compression mode: Lousy

Are there any Hybrid Log Gamma HDR test sequences or reference encodes out there?

The BBC seems to have a HLG test clip available in iPlayer on some Smart TVs:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2016/12...l-planet-earth
Old 8th February 2017, 03:23   #3  |  Link
visionplushdr

Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade VISIONPLUSHDR-1000 ( 10.000 nits grading ) sample in 1850 NITS MadVR Output - BT. 2020 Display Calibration colorspace, pure power curve gamma 2.60.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgWY4mCre84

The Martian VISIONPLUSHDR-1000 ( 10.000 nits grading ) sample in 1700 NITS MadVR Output - BT. 2020 Display Calibration colorspace, pure power curve gamma 2.60.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8thnOe8KxY

Wanted to show it.

Videos are recorded in BT. 2020 colorpsace output, by using saturation in MadVR to expand the color to be seen in YT.

Videos are BT. 2020 graded, where you can choose BT.709 colorspace in MadVR and you get default output for any TV, here saturation is not even needed. Goes to 0, default.

When you use DCI-P3 you have to get those newer TV sets with 97 or more coverage, here you also don't apply saturation. If you get a panel with less DCI-P3 reproduction, saturation helps again.

And for the native BT. 2020 you must always apply saturation due to non existant panels capable to fully reproduce the 2020 palette.

Applying saturation from in the player can sound odd, though expanded BT. 2020 native colorspace can look really good compared to "native" 709/DCI.

HDR Blu-Rays use DCI-P3 Conversion by metadata, this restricts the playback only to DCI.

Last edited by visionplushdr; 8th February 2017 at 04:26.
Old 8th February 2017, 17:40   #4  |  Link
Asmodian

Why would you use BT.2020 output from madVR?

If I understand what you are doing you are rendering into BT.2020 and then arbitrarily increasing the saturation so that it looks better when YT pretends it is BT.709. It would be a lot more correct to render to BT.709 in the first place.

If your display doesn't support a color space don't render into that color space.
Old 8th February 2017, 18:02   #5  |  Link
visionplushdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Why would you use BT.2020 output from madVR?

If I understand what you are doing you are rendering into BT.2020 and then arbitrarily increasing the saturation so that it looks better when YT pretends it is BT.709. It would be a lot more correct to render to BT.709 in the first place.

If your display doesn't support a color space don't render into that color space.
My display does 100% DCI coverage ( PRM-4220 ). I don't render in 2020, i do HDR transfers which are 2020 just like the blu-rays, when converting to DCI-P3 due to the non existant displays.

709 is a limited gamut, this is why HDR content works in DCI. When using 2020 and saturation it can look a lot better than 709 and it depends on how you grade. Not every grading is the same, grading is art.

In this particular video there's a lot of yellow output for Indiana Jones when applying saturation to the 2020. When it's played with 709 the colors are not so natural.

When you watch a 709 movie the palette is completely limited where you are used to see "red" skin. This doesn't happens when you use DCI or 2020 with saturation.

Overall colorspace is more natural in a higher colorspace, when your panel can't output the full palette, it will output what i can, though compared to the 709 colorspace, when grading is correct output is a lot more closer to the natural colors.

Last edited by visionplushdr; 8th February 2017 at 18:05.
Old 8th February 2017, 18:45   #6  |  Link
kolak

One thread has been closed because of you and now you are back with your "HDR masters".
Stop spamming, we have already seen your work.

Last edited by kolak; 8th February 2017 at 18:49.
Old 8th February 2017, 19:24   #7  |  Link
visionplushdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolak View Post
One thread has been closed because of you and now you are back with your "HDR masters".
Stop spamming, we have already seen your work.
Where does it says i can't post? What work you have seen? Youtube? That's great. I will continue to show my work as this is a forum to show work in digital video.

This is HEVC HDR thread and i do the same.

Your irony makes you look dull against no arguments whatsoever you can tell about my work. You don't seem to give to the thread anything interesting either i recommend you to leave then.
Old 8th February 2017, 21:19   #8  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

This thread is about the technical aspects of encoding HEVC HDR. Your discussion about taste can go into separate threads, thanks.
Old 8th February 2017, 21:56   #9  |  Link
visionplushdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
This thread is about the technical aspects of encoding HEVC HDR. Your discussion about taste can go into separate threads, thanks.
What taste? There's no taste in encoding HEVC HDR. And i have seen zero posts about encoding 4K HDR on here with proof on their work either. Do you encode in 4K HDR? Can you show what you do, since it looks people on here argues about other's people work though i don't see any work from you, or anybody in this topic.

Anyone can post "technical" copy paste from other websites/forums/blogs on here and it doesn't go to anywhere when there's no proof of anyone on here except myself showing their work and how the final video looks like with your technical aspects.
Old 8th February 2017, 23:41   #10  |  Link
kolak

Here we go again- so xxx boring.

Do you use LAV filters? Nevcairiel is LAV developer, so he compared to you done quite an amazing job.
Old 9th February 2017, 00:20   #11  |  Link
WhatZit

Guyz! Guyz! MusicVideos... err... sorry... "VisionPlus" is right!

You CAN convert 8-bit BT.709 sources into PERFECT 4K BT.2020 for those times when overly-creative hollywood noobs can't even get the colours right themselves!

None of you "Doomers" with your extensive industry qualifications or decades of experience would EVER have thought of this!

Here's how! Read it and weep...

P.S. I'm the best!

P.P.S. This was sarcastic, if you couldn't tell

Last edited by WhatZit; 9th February 2017 at 00:29.
Old 9th February 2017, 01:02   #12  |  Link
visionplushdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatZit View Post

You CAN convert 8-bit BT.709 sources into PERFECT 4K BT.2020 for those times when overly-creative hollywood noobs can't even get the colours right themselves!

None of you "Doomers" with your extensive industry qualifications or decades of experience would EVER have thought of this!

P.S. I'm the best!

So you are other kid?

Do you want me to post images but in the correct scenario? What is extensive industry decades of experience in HDR?

I will post some examples to prove you wrong if you want, give me some time.
Old 9th February 2017, 01:09   #13  |  Link
visionplushdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolak View Post
Here we go again- so xxx boring.

Do you use LAV filters? Nevcairiel is LAV developer, so he compared to you done quite an amazing job.
I didn't know Lav filter was an HDR grading. Thanks for the tip. I believe if you keep on arguing with me this will never end, are you re thinking your behavior?
Old 9th February 2017, 01:23   #14  |  Link
visionplushdr

Quote:

P.S. I'm the best!

This is what im working on.

First SDR 709, then HDR DCI.

I'm not using your software though. And i didn't know the industry had decades of experience in HDR, specially because they don't know how to do it even today. HDR10 standard is crap for example, completely dim in daylight scenes and poor nits graded as well. So?

And find a way to post images in thumbnail,so you are a better doomer.

Updated:

I don't know why this forum can't handle people showing their work, it's supposed you do HDR here, right? Then why nobody shows their work? I would love to see what you are doing in the HDR field.

I really don't care about the people talking about "proper" hdr grading is made out of 10-bit, because? HDR10 is crap. Colorspace from the master doesn't even matters when image in HDR is low nits and dim in daylight scenes, completely broken HDR standard.

Next would be the "dynamic HDR metadata" ( ST. 2094 ) which can be also be done without any metadata. Industry is using the HDR as pure marketing.

And here's a 1200 nits output in DCI-P3 ( higher nits grade than last images )

You can see how HDR "popups" a lot more.

1500 nits :

Colors are fine too, i didn't really understand this guy saying before with the ironic sentence "overly-creative hollywood noobs can't even get the colours right themselves!"

What a world.

Last edited by visionplushdr; 9th February 2017 at 04:49.
Old 9th February 2017, 04:11   #15  |  Link
visionplushdr

Quote:

P.S. I'm the best!

Please do the same as i do with Avidemux. I wait for your work. You are a prodigy kid.

I'm also sarcastic.

Last edited by visionplushdr; 9th February 2017 at 14:35.
Old 9th February 2017, 05:01   #16  |  Link
kuchikirukia

Quote:

You call that HDR? This is HDR!

Boring, faded crap:

VAST IMPROVEMENT!

Last edited by kuchikirukia; 9th February 2017 at 05:08.
Old 9th February 2017, 05:07   #17  |  Link
visionplushdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuchikirukia View Post
You call that HDR? This is HDR!

Boring, faded crap:

VAST IMPROVEMENT!
Yes then looks like there are a LOT OF KIDS in doom9 nowadays. Hopefully there are still grown ups out there. Now i understand why people argues on the work, nobody does anything in HDR here?
Old 9th February 2017, 05:12   #18  |  Link
kuchikirukia

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionplushdr View Post
Yes then looks like there are a LOT OF KIDS in doom9 nowadays. Hopefully there are still grown ups out there. Now i understand why people argues on the work, nobody does anything in HDR here?
You certainly don't.
Old 9th February 2017, 06:40   #19  |  Link
visionplushdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuchikirukia View Post
You certainly don't.
I don't what? This forum is extremely weird.
Old 9th February 2017, 14:32   #20  |  Link
visionplushdr

An update with a hue/luminance fix.

Really hard movie to get it right in hdr.

This is a 1800 nits output by gamma 2.20.

It's supposed you can show work on here, why people keeps on arguing? This other new guy saying this is not HDR because he doesn't knows what is HDR.

Anyway, hope people begins to show their HDR work on here, would be really good to see what people does, as you may know almost nobody does HDR grading for anything, except this guy from mysterybox, which i don't like because he clips the details on every single video i have seen, plus colors are extremely off for natural scenarios.
Closed Thread