Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 21st February 2023, 22:07   #1  |  Link
isamu

Having problems ripping my Dragon Ball Z DVD's

Hi guys. I have brand new in the box Dragon Ball Z DVD's that I'm trying to rip. They are from the limited edition dragon box yellow DVD box sets that Funimation released years ago.

I'm trying to rip them starting with disc 1, but I'm having trouble. I've attempted to use make MKV and it only rips the first title. I tried imgburn, and that gives me an error telling me that there is copy protection on the disc. Handbrake and DVDshrink both come up with errors upon ripping the disc. Can anyone please tell me what's going on with these discs, and whether or not the copy protection has anything to do with why these programs are giving me trouble? They are brand new out of the shrinkwrap and are authentic region 1 official DVD's.
isamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2023, 01:08   #2  |  Link
richy

Without having a set of the discs to look at myself I don't know why MakeMKV would only be ripping the first title but I don't use it very often and never for DVDs so it may just automatically go for whichever title is the largest... possibly?

I'd say the copy protection is what has been causing you issues but I can give you some general advice which may help you.

DVDshrink can only decrypt some discs and will probably fail on anything even vaguely recent.

Try something like Xreveal to decrypt the discs first and then another tool to extract the individual episodes off. Yubsoft (who make Xreveal) also make DVDForge. I've not used it myself but it looks like it'll extract individual titles off a decrypted DVD but, obviously, you need to feed it a decrypted disc first. It looks similar to other tools I've used in the past but I rarely touch anything DVD-related nowadays. They're all fairly similar to use but you need to decrypt the files first before they'll work.

DVD Decrypter should also be able to decrypt the discs as well. It's by the same guy who makes ImgBurn.

Hope that's of some help.
richy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2023, 04:45   #3  |  Link
FTLOY
Friend of a friend..

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu View Post
Hi guys. I have brand new in the box Dragon Ball Z DVD's that I'm trying to rip.
Hi, it can be a pain when brand new disks won't rip properly.

Some of the "good old" ripper's used to do a good job, but they are hard to find.

Fortunately, I keep a lot of old stuff, so I have uploaded a couple for you to try:-

https://www.mediafire.com/file/rwmj9...ippers.7z/file

Read the read me.txt.

Good luck.
FTLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2023, 00:07   #4  |  Link
Katie Boundary

I second the recommendation of DVD Decrypter.