Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 19th February 2010, 19:52   #1  |  Link
z0rc

VSFilterMod

https://code.google.com/p/vsfiltermod/

Continuation of VSFilter. New features, x64 builds and minor bugfixes. Detailed information on wiki.

If you have any bugreports, suggestions or feature requests, then fill a ticket on project's site.
z0rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 20:01   #2  |  Link
b66pak

thanks...
_
b66pak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 21:24   #3  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Hello z0rc,

First of i think its great news that someone has stepped up to work on vsfilter.

I am the project manager for MPC-HC.
We have been looking for vsfilter devs for a very long time.

Maybe you have tried to contact us without any response, if so then i appologise for that, we are having problems with contact through sourceforge.

We currently have 2 volunteers who are working on vsfilter behind the scenes, and we have some big plans for it.

I would formally like to invite you to join team mpc-hc and work on the subtitle renderer as part of the team.
Old 19th February 2010, 22:22   #4  |  Link
jiifurusu
Aegisub developer

I am the current lead developer of Aegisub, and has also done some development on VSFilter, mostly in 2008 where I introduced several extensions, in addition to fixing a number of rendering bugs.

Edit: For a more detailed opinion, please see this blog post: http://blog.aegisub.org/2010/02/old-...-vsfilter.html

I recommend staying away from the extensions introduced in this third fork of VSFilter. (Third: The two other are Guliverkli2 and MPC-HC.) I would also highly recommend not using the extensions I made to VSFilter in 2008, despite them being in both Guliverkli2 and MPC-HC.
Aegisub will never support the extensions made in VSFilterMod.

I personally regret making feature additions to VSFilter myself in 2008, and in fact did it soon after releasing them. They were never meant to be used in subtitles distributed, though I should have seen that happening. The ASS format reached its essentially final form in 2004, and should ideally not have changed since then.

So I beg: Please do not use the extensions.

The ASS format is bad in many ways, and the way to make it better is not to smack more mud on the already huge ball it is. The only solution is to create a new format from scratch, with proper specifications and have the community involved in the development, of course.

Last edited by jiifurusu; 20th February 2010 at 00:48. Reason: Link new blog post with detailed opinion
jiifurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2010, 10:24   #5  |  Link
sneaker_ger

While we're at it: kumaji status?
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2010, 10:52   #6  |  Link
roozhou

@jfs
Even the "bad" ASS format is not fully supported by VSFilter. Many useful features are still missing, e.g. [Graphics] section and picture event. Subtitlers have to use inefficient drawing commands to "draw" logos.
roozhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2010, 16:48   #7  |  Link
jiifurusu
Aegisub developer

roozhou:
I consider the ASS format to be defined by what VSFilter supported and rendered in 2004, not any document, that's simply how things ended up. Extending things won't make anything any better, because a large base of users won't be able to view the effects, picture or whatever the extensions specify.
I hope you can agree with me that subtitles need to be rendered exactly the same regardless of who is viewing them and on what system they are displayed. Just things such as difference in text size and line wrapping can have a major effect on readability, and is in fact one of the failings of most simple, unstyled text formats. (For that purpose, boldface and italics don't really count as styling, by the way.) Any kinds of extensions to a format not supported by and agreed on by every renderer, and supported by the great majority of viewers' software, breaks that assumption.
The real argument here is: Do not use those extensions, because you cannot be sure your viewers will see what you intended for them to see.

As for Kumaji... well I did make a commit a short time ago, but it was really just things I had had sitting for a long time Aegisub takes up too much of my time.

Last edited by jiifurusu; 20th February 2010 at 16:50.
jiifurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 04:24   #8  |  Link
[ReX]

It would be nice if you could make it not crash while being loaded along with the video in Subtitle Workshop using Windows 7.

That doesn't happen when using VSFilter 2.33 , but the subs look ugly when using that version.

I'm not sure what's the cause, but if you could take a look at it, I'm willing to help.
[ReX] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 04:51   #9  |  Link
roozhou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiifurusu View Post
roozhou:
I consider the ASS format to be defined by what VSFilter supported and rendered in 2004, not any document, that's simply how things ended up.
Of course we need a document, and it is already there. How do you define "what VSFilter supported and rendered in 2004"? And VSFilter being windows-only makes things even worse.

Quote:
I hope you can agree with me that subtitles need to be rendered exactly the same regardless of who is viewing them and on what system they are displayed.
Totally agreed, and I hope it will be bit-exact. We need a well-documented spec plus a full-featured, open-source and cross-platform reference subtitle renderer instead of a buggy windows-only software. Many SAP and LCD-TV manufacturers in China are trying to support ASS subtitles in their hardware. They don't need de factor standard because they cannot magically port VSFilter(full of MFC and GDI craps) to their chips.
roozhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 08:06   #10  |  Link
Vitaliy Gorbatenko
viterra

Are there any plans to improve VSFilterMod? In particular, increase the speed of rendering subtitles with CUDA / DirectX? The current versions can not cope with a portrayal of the subtitles in 1080p video. I know that the MOD version is not for softsubs, but it though not much, but faster than normal.
Vitaliy Gorbatenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2019, 06:52   #11  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Proper documentation for at least ONE of these filters would be nice.
Old 23rd January 2020, 03:25   #12  |  Link
kedautinh12

I found new improve of vsfiltermod
https://github.com/sorayuki/VSFilterMod/releases
kedautinh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2020, 20:32   #13  |  Link
Selur

Problem with that version seems to be that it does not work with Avisynth+ 3.5.1.
It doesn't crash, but it simple doesn't do anything, when using Avisynth MT 2.6 everything works fine.
(Sadly the issue tracker is disabled there, thus no clue where to report the issue.)

Cu Selur
Old 12th April 2020, 11:21   #14  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selur View Post
Problem with that version seems to be that it does not work with Avisynth+ 3.5.1.
Perhaps because it's a VS filter?
Old 22nd April 2020, 07:05   #15  |  Link
kedautinh12

Quote:
It doesn't crash, but it simple doesn't do anything, when using Avisynth MT 2.6 everything works fine.
(Sadly the issue tracker is disabled there, thus no clue where to report the issue.)

Cu Selur
I use normally with this ver

https://github.com/sorayuki/VSFilterMod/releases
Old 27th April 2020, 08:20   #16  |  Link
Reel.Deel

Quote:

Cu Selur

https://github.com/sorayuki/VSFilterMod/releases this version with Avisynth+ 3.5.1 works fine for me. I did notice that if you feed it a colorspace that is not supported the filter will simply not render any subtitles. No error message, just your original clip with w/o subtitles is returned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
Perhaps because it's a VS filter?
It's a dual-interface filter, supports AviSynth and VapourSynth.
Reel.Deel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2021, 08:19   #17  |  Link
kedautinh12

New fork of vsfiltermod
https://github.com/Masaiki/VSFilterMod
Old 18th July 2022, 05:27   #18  |  Link
kedautinh12

VSfilterMod r5.2.7b (Vmoe mod)
https://github.com/computerfan/VSFilterMod/releases
Old 30th September 2022, 07:00   #19  |  Link
Katie Boundary

No VobSub? No VSrip? This is just one tiny part of a package. Where's the rest of the package?
Old 6th December 2023, 05:12   #20  |  Link
kedautinh12

VSfilterMod r5.2.7b (Vmoe mod)
Update for AviSynth+ (thank Asd-g)
Code:
Update the AviSynth headers
Add YUV420P10 and YUV420P16 support (ported from the VapourSynth version)
Set MT mode
Add parameter accurate (TextSubMod/VobSub/MaskSubMod)
https://github.com/kedaitinh12/VSFil...ag/r5.2.7-beta