Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 25th September 2017, 10:11   #1  |  Link
Tiemo

black screen when taking a screenshot of a video

Hello,
I am not sure, if this is the right place for this issue. If not, perhaps somebody can point me to another forum. I am a softwaredeveloper and on some customer machines a very seldom issue appears, which I can't reproduce on my machines.

My program plays on windows h.264 videos via the original windows directShow API. One of the features of my program is, that the user can take screenshots from the video (after having paused it) and save them as a JPG to disc. On some rare windows 10 machines only a black screen results in taking a screenshot from the videos. It also happens, when using the windows print key.

Obviously this is related to the screen buffer or the handling of the screen buffer by the video card driver. I can set the video buffering programatically on and off, but that doesn't changes anything on this issue. Perhaps this is only a historical option without any influence on win 10. And here my knowledge of tweaking ends. Years ago on older systems, like XP I already had sometimes the same issue and I always could solve it by shutting off the hardware acceleration of the video adapter. But nowadays on Win 10 there isn't anymore this option in the settings of the graphic adapter, so I assume it must be related to any other unknown setting.

Does anybody knows this issue or has an idea, where to look for a tweak on windows level (not programmatical)?

Thanks for any ideas
Tiemo
Tiemo is offline   Reply With Quote