Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 22nd June 2015, 16:44   #21  |  Link
8-BaLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by manono View Post
And you should learn how to figure out the aspect ratio for yourself, and it's not 2.76:1. Depending on how you resize, it's about 2:1 using ITU resizing and 1.95:1 with non-ITU resizing. Maybe 8-BaLL didn't notice the source resolution is 352x480.
The aspect ratio is very well 2.76:1 here.

Its because some clown encoded the DVD who has no clue about standards etc. It isnt even a DVD standard.

I've very well noticed the resolution of 352x480, and whats more funny about it is that the video height is bigger than width, means 480 is height and 352 is width.

Again, some funny person squashed the image into some crap while creating the DVD. On top of it, it was videotaped off a cinema sceen as well with some vhs camera or smth like that.

2:1? I dont think youve looked into the source close enough Its not even 2.35:1, but as Ive mentioned already 2.76:1

2:1 vs 2.76:1
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/132137

2.35:1 vs 2.76:1
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/132140

Last edited by 8-BaLL; 22nd June 2015 at 17:05.
8-BaLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2015, 19:12   #22  |  Link
bxyhxyh

@Music Rockz
Just curious, what is the name of this movie?
bxyhxyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 01:27   #23  |  Link
Music Rockz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxyhxyh View Post
Just curious, what is the name of this movie?
Aanai (2005)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aanai
Music Rockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 03:59   #24  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

I wrote a software, and part of it allows re-encoding videos like you want in just a few clicks. You can take a look here (and download v1.2 beta later in the thread, v1.1 setup is broken)

Or see these simple instructions: how to convert videos to 60fps

Last edited by MysteryX; 23rd June 2015 at 04:02.
MysteryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 11:41   #25  |  Link
manono

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-BaLL View Post
Its because some clown encoded the DVD who has no clue about standards etc. It isnt even a DVD standard.
Maybe you've just never seen a 352x480 DVD (I've seen lots), but I assure you it's a part of the DVD standard:
Quote:
NTSC (NTSC Film)

Video:
Up to 9.8 Mbit/s* (9800 Kbit/s*) MPEG2 video
Up to 1.856 Mbit/s (1856 Kbit/s) MPEG1 video
720 x 480 pixels MPEG2 (Called Full-D1)
704 x 480 pixels MPEG2
352 x 480 pixels MPEG2 (Called Half-D1, same as the CVD Standard)
352 x 240 pixels MPEG2
352 x 240 pixels MPEG1 (Same as the VCD Standard)
29,97 fps*
23,976 fps with 3:2 pulldown = 29,97 playback fps (NTSC Film, this is only supported by MPEG2 video)
16:9 Anamorphic (only supported by 720x480)
http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

Other sources will give you the same specs.

I think it's safe to say there has never been a 2.76:1 film released in South Asia (India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka). Almost all theatrical films are released in 2.35:1 in South Asia these days. And I have seen a ton of what were originally 2.35:1 South Asian films cropped and then put on 4:3 DVDs similar to this one, but usually at 720x480.

Having said that, I made the square pixel resolution ratio (~2:1) based on the DAR and amount of black bars in the sample. And it's correct. The film is on the sample at about a 2:1 ratio. However, after reading what you wrote, I went back and decided the DVD itself is in the wrong ratio, that it plays with people too thin. So you're right and I apologize.

Whether the aspect ratio becomes correct at 2.76:1, I don't know. I rather like 2.35:1 now, as it was the theatrical aspect ratio. I'd suggest Music Rockz go through the movie carefully to find something round (a sun, moon, ball, a tire or a clock viewed straight on, that sort of thing) and play with the resolution until it looks correct to him. I don't think you can really just tell from people's faces.
Quote:
On top of it, it was videotaped off a cinema sceen as well with some vhs camera or smth like that.
I don't think so, My guess is it's a retail DVD, or reencoded from what was originally a retail DVD. Filming a screen doesn't get you field blending and interlacing. Until you've seen a few, you have no idea just how bad South Asian DVDs can be. They're easily the very worst in the world. Again, I apologize for contradicting you before looking at this thing more closely.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 12:48   #26  |  Link
Music Rockz

Here is my upscale
http://www.mediafire.com/?dn319d6exxkld

There are many companies selling OLD DVDs with high quality such as Ayngaran, Tamilini. Their quality always welcomable on old movies.
This DVD is bought from Germany and named as Mummy DVD. The quality is worse and worse comparing to other DVD manufactures. You are quite right manono nowadays DVD Quality is so good and its in 16:9 ratio.
Old 23rd June 2015, 20:56   #27  |  Link
manono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Rockz View Post
You are quite right manono nowadays DVD Quality is so good and its in 16:9 ratio.
Maybe I should have qualified it by saying 'older' or 'classic' films on South Asian DVDs are the worst in the world. The newer films on DVD are merely mediocre. But I haven't seen any Sri Lankan films untill now. My specialty is Hindi language Indian films and I've also seen a few Pakistani DVDs. I've read there's a good company distributing South Indian Tamil films on DVD but have yet to see any of theirs.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2015, 01:30   #28  |  Link
Music Rockz

There's no films in SriLanka, All DVDs are Indian Films.
Old 24th June 2015, 05:13   #29  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Rockz View Post
then audio??
You can process only the video and then muxe the original audio back into the same file. If the new video and old audios aren't supported in the MP4 container, you can muxe them together into an MKV file without problem.

I have re-deployed the Natural Grounding Player and its Media Encoder over to GitHub with the full source code here.

The media encoder in v1.1 has issues with non-ascii characters in path names. If you have non-ascii paths, you can try the v1.2 beta.

Here's a screenshot of the Media Encoder. I'd be curious whether it does the job you need right away! First it converts to AVI automatically, then it processes it, then it muxes it back with the original audio.

For best results, extract the files from the DVD with Make MKV without re-encoding them, then process those original files with the Natural Grounding Player. You'll get optimized video with original audio.

Better than re-encoding the audio while ripping, and re-encoding again while processing.

Last edited by MysteryX; 24th June 2015 at 05:57.
MysteryX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avisynth, dvd, filters, upscale