Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 9th December 2018, 19:38   #81  |  Link
jones1913
random user

Hi mdalacu,
thanks for providing this cross platform application, works fine here on Manjaro Linux.
I have only 2 small issues regarding the gui:

- Can we somehow disable these 2 tooltip thingies which appear at every application start?

- HiDPI scaling does not work properly (see picture below). I would assume it has something to do with the gui toolkit (seems you use gtk2). Maybe switching to a more modern toolkit such as gtk3 or qt5 could fix this?

Old 9th December 2018, 22:52   #82  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones1913 View Post
- Can we somehow disable these 2 tooltip thingies which appear at every application start?
This must a Linux issue, under Windows these tooltips only appear on the first start of the program.

I do not know how dmMediaConverter stores its settings under Linux. Under Windows there is a file "dmMediaConverter.ini" in the user folder. Under [General] there is the line "FirstTime=1" which is automatically changed to "0" after the first run. Maybe you can find the INI file under Linux and make sure that this setting is set to "0".

Good luck
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 18:37   #83  |  Link
jones1913
random user

Quote:
there is a file "dmMediaConverter.ini" in the user folder. Under [General] there is the line "FirstTime=1"
That was a good hint.

I found the .ini file and after changing "FirstTime=1" to 0 the tooltips are gone. Thanks manolito.
Old 14th December 2018, 11:57   #84  |  Link
mdalacu

Hi, on Linux the config file is stored in this file:
~/.config/dmMediaConverter/dmMediaConverter.ini
I have tested it and it does not behave like yours....could be an permission issue on that folder...The pouips should disappear after a successful first run...with an output file chosen.
The font scaling problem i can not reproduce it. For me it shows correctly on a 24 inch fullhd monitor and also on a 32'' 4k monitor using default font on Ubuntu.
mdalacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2018, 20:28   #85  |  Link
jones1913
random user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdalacu View Post
I have tested it and it does not behave like yours....could be an permission issue on that folder...The pouips should disappear after a successful first run...with an output file chosen.
Permissions should be fine, other settings like presets are saved in this file without problems. However thats not a big deal for me.

Quote:
The font scaling problem i can not reproduce it. For me it shows correctly on a 24 inch fullhd monitor and also on a 32'' 4k monitor using default font on Ubuntu.
I have 4k @ 27" and desktop scaling set to 200% (Cinnamon Desktop handles this setting). Scaling works usually well except for a few gtk2 applications.
Which desktop environment do you use? I want to try it then with an Ubuntu live system.
Old 15th December 2018, 18:57   #86  |  Link
mdalacu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones1913 View Post
Permissions should be fine, other settings like presets are saved in this file without problems. However thats not a big deal for me.

I have 4k @ 27" and desktop scaling set to 200% (Cinnamon Desktop handles this setting). Scaling works usually well except for a few gtk2 applications.
Which desktop environment do you use? I want to try it then with an Ubuntu live system.
Hi, i am using Ubuntu 18.10 plain (Gnome3) and also on another computer Ubuntu 18.04 with xfce on top.
I have tested and the scale setting coud be the problem. This screenhot is with scaling 200 % but is is manageble for me.... Not all the controls are scaled but it seems ok....

https://imgur.com/0wUSAWr
Old 16th December 2018, 22:30   #87  |  Link
mdalacu

@jones1913 Hi. You should redownload the tar archive the file form my website and it should behave as in my screenshot.
Plese tell me if it is better. Thanks.
Old 17th December 2018, 20:44   #88  |  Link
jones1913
random user

Quote:
@jones1913 Hi. You should redownload the tar archive the file form my website and it should behave as in my screenshot.
Plese tell me if it is better. Thanks.
Hi, there is no difference to my previous screenshot. I have tried with Ubuntu and it looks more like your screenshot, but still some elements like the listview are too small in relation to the buttons and tabs.

I think proper scaling is not possible with GTK2. I thought that its maybe just a build option in lazarus ide, to build the gui with another toolkit like GTK3 or so.

But your app is still good useable for me like it is, so dont feel forced to spend much time into this small issue.
Old 1st January 2019, 18:12   #89  |  Link
mdalacu

First, Happy New Year!
#dmMediaConverter
http://dmsimpleapps.blogspot.ro/2014...converter.html

Version 2.3.1 is up
I have tried at least to make it usable at different scaling.

Enjoy and please provide feedback!
Old 3rd January 2019, 14:40   #90  |  Link
manolito

Thanks for the new version, and a Happy New Year also...

On my 19" 1280 x 1024 Eizo monitor the scaling did not improve, it even got a little worse.

The graphic on top of the GUI is now almost completely invisible, increasing the height does not make it any better. In the previous version only the lower part of the graphic was cut off. No big deal, the GUI is absolutely useable.

And here comes the usual hint for users of Windows XP:

This version of dmMediaConverter does not work under WinXP right out of the box due to the included FFmpeg version. This can easily be fixed by replacing ffmpeg.exe and ffprobe.exe with WinXP compatible builds.

I highly recommend CoRoNe's latest build from here:
http://rwijnsma.home.xs4all.nl/files...atic_legacy.7z

An additional bonus is the ability to use the Fraunhofer fdk-aac encoder. Just extract the DLL into the same folder as FFmpeg:
http://rwijnsma.home.xs4all.nl/files....0.0_legacy.7z

In dmMediaConverter just choose AAC-FDK in the audio encoder selection box.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 3rd January 2019 at 15:06.
Old 4th January 2019, 14:00   #91  |  Link
mdalacu

Thank you @manolito for replying.
The problem is that i only test on fullhd or higher. monitors at 96 dpi ...
Old 4th January 2019, 15:26   #92  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
The problem is that i only test on fullhd or higher. monitors at 96 dpi ...
Full HD means 1920 × 1080, and this will exclude a lot of notebook displays... But as I already said, no big deal.

Cheers
manolito
Old 4th January 2019, 18:25   #93  |  Link
mdalacu

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
Full HD means 1920 × 1080, and this will exclude a lot of notebook displays... But as I already said, no big deal.

Cheers
manolito
You are right but i simply do not have a lower resolution display anymore.
Beside that, i think it is a more of a XP thing then display resolution for the application title missing. I can not reproduce it... In a virtual machine with win7 it displays correctly at 1366x768...
Old 4th January 2019, 19:06   #94  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Beside that, i think it is a more of a XP thing then display resolution for the application title missing.
You are probably right about it being an XP thing. I just checked it on my Thinkpad T530. Its native resolution is 1600 x 900, but I reduced it to
1360 x 768. Much easier on my aging eyes. And even with this low resolution the dmMediaConverter GUI is displayed correctly.

Cheers
manolito
Old 10th February 2019, 03:54   #95  |  Link
uVSthem

Does anyone have a link to the Windows version of dmMediaConverter - v2.3.1 ?
uVSthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2019, 11:27   #96  |  Link
manolito

Yes, for some reason the Windows version has disappeared from the author's GDrive folder. No idea if this was intentional. Anyways, Softpedia still has it available for download, just google for it...

Cheers
manolito
Old 28th February 2019, 06:26   #97  |  Link
mdalacu

I found recently that the win32 version was not on my site anymore. Google blocked the file from sharing in my GDrive under the suspicion that i don't have copyrights on it...wtf! :-)))
The problem is that they did not notify me in anyway...only a gray flag , if you navigate into that folder...
I have re-uploaded the file and now i think it is all fine.
Enjoy!
Old 5th June 2019, 11:23   #98  |  Link
mrjayviper

Anyone been able to run to on recent Manjaro or any other distro? If not Manjaro, what we're you using? Thanks

edit: just tried on latest manjaro and I get this error "error while loading shared library: libva.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory". I checked (using pacman) and I got extra/libva 2.4.1-1 installed. Any ideas on how to fix? Thanks

Last edited by mrjayviper; 7th June 2019 at 06:54.
mrjayviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2019, 14:48   #99  |  Link
jones1913
random user

Quote:
First, Happy New Year!
#dmMediaConverter
http://dmsimpleapps.blogspot.ro/2014...converter.html

Version 2.3.1 is up
I have tried at least to make it usable at different scaling.

Enjoy and please provide feedback!
Im much too late but anyway, the improved spacings helped a bit so that some controls are not so much overlapped anymore.
Some controls are still quite small (listview, radiobuttons), also the log output is almost impossible to read (without a magnifying glass ). Thanks anyway for working on this application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjayviper View Post
Anyone been able to run to on recent Manjaro or any other distro? If not Manjaro, what we're you using? Thanks

edit: just tried on latest manjaro and I get this error "error while loading shared library: libva.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory". I checked (using pacman) and I got extra/libva 2.4.1-1 installed. Any ideas on how to fix? Thanks
Works here for me (Manjaro).

libva.so is no dependency of dmMediaConverter binary (checked with 'ldd dmMediaConverter') but rather of ffmpeg.
Are you using bundled ffmpeg binary or the system installed one?
Old 8th August 2019, 18:00   #100  |  Link
Bigmango

Thanks for this great app !

Please add options for:
  1. eac3 audio in the list of codecs
  2. enable/disable audio and subtitle flags (forced, default...)
  3. stream duplication (i.ex: right click to duplicate a stream) (i.ex my use case: to keep source TrueHD/DTSMA/DTS audio/subtitle and add a duplicate with another codec, so the mkv can also be played on devices that don't support the source codec)

Example command line of what I need to do very often:

Code:
ffmpeg -i source.mkv -map 0:0 -map 0:2 -map 0:2 -map 0:1 -map 0:1  -map 0:3 -map 0:4 -map 0:5 -c:v copy -c:a:0 copy -c:a:1 eac3 -c:a:2 copy -c:a:3 eac3 -b:a:1 1536k -b:a:3 768k -c:s copy output.mkv
(this reorders the audio (0:2 before 0:1) and duplicates 2 audio tracks (0:1 and 0:2) with a 2nd eac3 copy with different bitrates for each eac3 stream, and keeps all the subtitles).

Many thanks !
Bigmango is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ffmpeg, frontend, gui, handbrake, linux