Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 19th August 2010, 10:05   #9281  |  Link
setarip_old

@RaceGuy

Regarding the Memorex D/L DVD+Rs, that "no name" factory in India is Moser Baer, the same company that's now been making the Verbatim D/L DVD+Rs for about two years. Their QC was questionable at first. However, I've been using the Memorex D/L DVD+Rs for more than a year now, with great results.

The only suggestion I'd make to anyone using them would be that, despite the stated 8X burn capability, burn at no faster than 4X...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 12:30   #9282  |  Link
colinhunt

Found what appears to be a bug in 0.34.07's batch process. Original has French, Spanish and German audio. I chose to keep only the French audio, so I double-clicked Spanish and German tracks to disable them. I then selected "Add Current Project to Batch Queue"; the queue had a couple of encodes lined up before this one. I checked the result a moment ago and the output includes all three audio tracks instead of only the French one. This was a Full Backup.

Addendum: Noticed now that the bug affected also subtitles. Original has 7 subtitle tracks, including English, Japanese, German and Spanish. I had disabled all except English subs. Output has only Spanish subs. TMT's subtitle menu lists 7 subtitle tracks, all Spanish.

Ad2: Checked the other two encodes. Both were Movie-only, and their audio & subtitle selections were properly stored in batch mode, i.e. outputs have only the audio & subs I chose to keep.

It seems the bug in Batch mode affects only Full Backups.

Last edited by colinhunt; 19th August 2010 at 12:42.
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 15:31   #9283  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinhunt View Post
Found what appears to be a bug in 0.34.07's batch process. Original has French, Spanish and German audio. I chose to keep only the French audio, so I double-clicked Spanish and German tracks to disable them. I then selected "Add Current Project to Batch Queue"; the queue had a couple of encodes lined up before this one. I checked the result a moment ago and the output includes all three audio tracks instead of only the French one. This was a Full Backup.

Addendum: Noticed now that the bug affected also subtitles. Original has 7 subtitle tracks, including English, Japanese, German and Spanish. I had disabled all except English subs. Output has only Spanish subs. TMT's subtitle menu lists 7 subtitle tracks, all Spanish.

Ad2: Checked the other two encodes. Both were Movie-only, and their audio & subtitle selections were properly stored in batch mode, i.e. outputs have only the audio & subs I chose to keep.

It seems the bug in Batch mode affects only Full Backups.
Can you look on the batch screen under "Batch" (for each title) and see what it has set for Audio/Subtitles for the two jobs you said were incorrectly done?
Old 19th August 2010, 18:58   #9284  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Can you look on the batch screen under "Batch" (for each title) and see what it has set for Audio/Subtitles for the two jobs you said were incorrectly done?
Uh-oh. I started another encode almost right away and managed to empty the batch list. Sorry.

If you read my post again, you'll notice only one job was incorrectly done - the other two were fine. The incorrect one was a Full Backup, while the two correct ones were Movie Only.

I found this in BATCHITEM.INI; it's appears to be for the title which was incorrectly done:

Code:
(BD39)_A_BOUT_DE_SOUFFLE, Full-Backup, CUSTOM, High Quality
[Options]
MODE=0
ENCODE_QUALITY=2
ONEPASS_ENCODING=0
AUTO_QUALITY=0
QUICK_EXTRAS=0
TARGET_SIZE=24050
TWEAK_PASS_ONE=--tune film
TWEAK_PASS_TWO=--tune film
PRIORITY_CLASS=0
AUDIO_TO_KEEP=chi;eng;fra;fre;jpn;zha;zho;
SUBS_TO_KEEP=eng;
SD_CONVERT=0
OPEN_GOP=0
RESIZE_1080=0
DEINTERLACE=1
DTS_REENCODE=0
AC3_REENCODE=0
AC3_640=1
AC3_192=0
KEEP_HD_AUDIO=1
KEEP_HD_LPCM=0
AVCHD=0
REMOVE_WORKFILES=1
MOVIE_ONLY_LOOP=1
REMOVE_OUTPUT=0
USE_FILTERS=0
AUDIO_TRACK_LIMIT=0
SUBTITLE_TRACK_LIMIT=0
CUSTOM_TARGET_SIZE=24050
[Paths]
WORKING_PATH=F:\BDRB_OUTPUT\
SOURCE_PATH=W:\VIDEO\HD\(BD39) A_BOUT_DE_SOUFFLE\
[Batch]
MAIN_MPLS=00508.MPLS
FORCED_SUB=0
FORCED_AUD=0
AUDIO=1001111
SUBS=00000100000000001000001000001000
I can run the Full Backup of the same title in Batch mode again if it helps.

edit: I began to create a Batch job of the same title again and remembered I didn't actually have to disable those two audio tracks and unwanted subtitle tracks manually; they were already disabled because of the languages I had selected in the Setup screen.

edit2: I ran the same title with exact same settings in regular non-batch backup mode and it came out perfect: French audio and English subs only.

Last edited by colinhunt; 19th August 2010 at 19:17.
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 19:23   #9285  |  Link
Race Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
@RaceGuy

Regarding the Memorex D/L DVD+Rs, that "no name" factory in India is Moser Baer, the same company that's now been making the Verbatim D/L DVD+Rs for about two years. Their QC was questionable at first. However, I've been using the Memorex D/L DVD+Rs for more than a year now, with great results.

The only suggestion I'd make to anyone using them would be that, despite the stated 8X burn capability, burn at no faster than 4X...
So they DO have a name!! What I've found with those MB Memorex is, my 2009 LG Blu burner LIKES them. My 2006 Plextor 716, which no longer gets any firmy updates DOES NOT. In any event, I go 2.4x for ALL my DL burns. What's the RUSH???

If you read the ImgBurn forum concerning "acceptable" DVD-9 media, it's not just Verbatims you want, they have to be the 2.4x rated Verbatims that are made in SINGAPORE!
Race Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 20:39   #9286  |  Link
setarip_old

@Race Guy

The information you've posted about D/L Verbatims made in Singapore is "very old news". If you search the Doom9 Forums, you'll find postings that I made about that over a year ago - when Verbatim started to wind down its Singapore production:

1) Consider yourself extremely lucky to find any Singapore produced D/L Verbatim DVD+Rs

2) The Memorex D/L DVD+Rs are rated at 8x but, as I've posted previously, burning these at 4x has proven to be successful for well over 300 burns
Old 20th August 2010, 04:20   #9287  |  Link
cnote
cnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
@Race Guy

The information you've posted about D/L Verbatims made in Singapore is "very old news". If you search the Doom9 Forums, you'll find postings that I made about that over a year ago - when Verbatim started to wind down its Singapore production:

1) Consider yourself extremely lucky to find any Singapore produced D/L Verbatim DVD+Rs

2) The Memorex D/L DVD+Rs are rated at 8x but, as I've posted previously, burning these at 4x has proven to be successful for well over 300 burns
Setarip_old,

Thanks for your input. I would appreciate some advice. So, if the memorex DL's are reliable media, is it reasonable to think that my 2010 LG burner is the problem. It prob has 70 burns max. I just thought that if it was the burner, it would not work at all. Does a faulty drive work on and off like that?
cnote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2010, 17:03   #9288  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnote View Post
Setarip_old,

Thanks for your input. I would appreciate some advice. So, if the memorex DL's are reliable media, is it reasonable to think that my 2010 LG burner is the problem. It prob has 70 burns max. I just thought that if it was the burner, it would not work at all. Does a faulty drive work on and off like that?
It depends on a lot of things. If it is slightly misaligned it might work in one part of the disc and not in another. I had a similar problem with a DVD burner, it worked sometimes but started making an occasional coaster. I picked up a replacement and haven't had a problem since.
Old 20th August 2010, 18:51   #9289  |  Link
chompy

jdobbs, the problem I reported some posts back regarding audio gaps in seamless branching jumps when downconverting HD audio tracks with BD-Rebuilder are due as I said to a bug tsMuxeR seems to have when downconverting DTS-HD to DTS an TrueHD to AC3.

The solution, is doing these (and only these) downconversions with eac3to, as if I demux video + audio with eac3to, then I'll have gaps in all audio streams (I neither can open the demuxed video with Adobe Premiere, while tsMuxeR demuxed video opens and can be edited perfectly fine).

So right now the workflow needed to get 100% working backups is:
1) Demux video + audio streams not downconverted with tsMuxeR.
2) Demux audio streams downconverted with eac3to.
3) Mux all files with tsMuxeR.

(I'll post this finding in MultiAVCHD forum as it has the same "problem").

Greetings
chompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2010, 19:52   #9290  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chompy View Post
jdobbs, the problem I reported some posts back regarding audio gaps in seamless branching jumps when downconverting HD audio tracks with BD-Rebuilder are due as I said to a bug tsMuxeR seems to have when downconverting DTS-HD to DTS an TrueHD to AC3.

The solution, is doing these (and only these) downconversions with eac3to, as if I demux video + audio with eac3to, then I'll have gaps in all audio streams (I neither can open the demuxed video with Adobe Premiere, while tsMuxeR demuxed video opens and can be edited perfectly fine).

So right now the workflow needed to get 100% working backups is:
1) Demux video + audio streams not downconverted with tsMuxeR.
2) Demux audio streams downconverted with eac3to.
3) Mux all files with tsMuxeR.

(I'll post this finding in MultiAVCHD forum as it has the same "problem").

Greetings
I gotta' be honest... I haven't had any problems with audio gaps in seamless branching -- and I've done a lot of them. The best solution is that if you have DTS-HD that you want to keep without HD extensions, let BD-RB convert it to AC3. IMHO you're not going to be able to tell the difference anyway. (That ought to get the DTS zealots in an uproar, eh?)

Are you allowing BD-RB to do its job completely or are you "intervening" ? It makes no sense that you would see it while others don't unless something is being done differently.

Last edited by jdobbs; 20th August 2010 at 20:25.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2010, 20:46   #9291  |  Link
chompy

Quote:
I gotta' be honest... I haven't had any problems with audio gaps in seamless branching -- and I've done a lot of them. The best solution is that if you have DTS-HD that you want to keep without HD extensions, let BD-RB convert it to AC3. IMHO you're not going to be able to tell the difference anyway. (That ought to get the DTS zealots in an uproar, eh?)

Are you allowing BD-RB to do its job completely or are you "intervening" ? It makes no sense that you would see it while others don't unless something is being done differently.
Until now I neither had any problem with seamless branching disks, but with UP there's one m2ts jump just after the UP logo appears on screen and the narrator is speaking while m2ts changes (from 00054.m2ts to 00055.m2ts or 00056.m2ts) and if I keep original audio tracks everything is fine, but if I select to not keep HD audio, I get this audio gap (with headphones is clearly heard, while in the previous m2ts changes I don't hear any gap).

If BD-Rebuilder converts DTS-HD to AC3 then surely won't be audio gap (as I understand it demuxes DTS-HD when converting to AC3 and not just only DTS core), but as you said I'm a DTS zealot , and if I find a solution that lets me keep it (although it is really time consuming, as I have to demux all m2ts with eac3to and mux the audio streams demuxed with the m2ts files generated by BD-Rebuilder), I'll prefer it over converting it to AC3.

Summarizing, the main problem is that the tsMuxeR downconverted audio streams are defective (DTS StreamPlayer crashes when trying to open them), while eac3to downconverts them ok (when you just demux the HD audio tracks both programs work well).

Greetings

Edit: And no, I'm not invervening in BD-Rebuilder in job, I just do "my workarround" when BD-Rebuilder has finished its job.

Last edited by chompy; 20th August 2010 at 20:54.
Old 20th August 2010, 22:21   #9292  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
I gotta' be honest... I haven't had any problems with audio gaps in seamless branching -- and I've done a lot of them.
I have done quite a few too, and I do not have or notice "audio gaps".
All my backups are burned to disc, be it BD5/9 or BD-R/RE for playback on a standalone.
So do these gaps cause the audio to go out of sync?
Where do you "hear" these audio gaps, software player or standalone?
I have used eac3to with the TMT decoder, and have "seen" eac3to's log report that audio gaps are present, and that a second pass will be done to correct them. But I have never "heard" any nor had the audio go out of sync as the movie progresses, which would be expected if all these audio gaps exist.
So could this be associated with backups done for computer/software playback only?
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2010, 23:16   #9293  |  Link
chompy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
I have done quite a few too, and I do not have or notice "audio gaps".
All my backups are burned to disc, be it BD5/9 or BD-R/RE for playback on a standalone.
So do these gaps cause the audio to go out of sync?
Where do you "hear" these audio gaps, software player or standalone?
I have used eac3to with the TMT decoder, and have "seen" eac3to's log report that audio gaps are present, and that a second pass will be done to correct them. But I have never "heard" any nor had the audio go out of sync as the movie progresses, which would be expected if all these audio gaps exist.
So could this be associated with backups done for computer/software playback only?
Well I say gaps becuase after testing, I've seen that this happens at the end of every m2ts, but I've only noticed in one of them.

As I said, the problem is that the downconverted SD audio stream from a HD audio stream is corrupted in its lasts bytes, and this always happens (and can be easy verified), if HD audio is kept (or if audio is converted with aften) then there aren't any problems. And as next m2ts has the begining of the audio stream ok, there ins't any out of sync, just this small gaps that may or not be noticed (depends if there's something as someone speaking, which is the case where I've detected this problem, because I didn't noticed before).

And yes, the tests have been done in standalone player, but now I'm happy because after some days of tests I've found the problem tsMuxeR has and a way to circumvent it, that could be more easily done if BD-Rebuilder / MultiAVCHD used eac3to to downconvert HD audio tracks, but that I don't mind do it manually if I get perfect backup.

Greetings
Old 20th August 2010, 23:38   #9294  |  Link
Capsbackup

For a movie only backup by BD-RB, I guess it could use eac3to, since all m2ts files are converted into one m2ts file. But if it is not noticeable, and AVCHD does not support DTS for BD5/9, jdobbs methods seems adequate.
But for full movie backups to BD-R, or BD5/9, the original structure is kept, thus so are all those multi m2ts files from the original that make up the movie, so I don't see how this method would apply or work in this case.
Old 21st August 2010, 07:57   #9295  |  Link
chompy

You can also keep original structure with eac3to, it works exactly the same as tsMuxeR: if you feed it with a mpls it will join all demuxed streams of all m2ts files it refers, but if feed it with individual m2ts file, one each time, you'll also get the demuxed streams of them separately.
Old 21st August 2010, 14:58   #9296  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chompy View Post
You can also keep original structure with eac3to, it works exactly the same as tsMuxeR: if you feed it with a mpls it will join all demuxed streams of all m2ts files it refers, but if feed it with individual m2ts file, one each time, you'll also get the demuxed streams of them separately.
Exactly as it should...
Old 23rd August 2010, 02:28   #9297  |  Link
Lynxs

Hey,

I noticed reading the changes.txt file that not processing the secondary video trk is now not an option in 34.07. Is there any way we can put this back in. I tried backup my copy of Cop Out and reencoding the tracks with the secondary video played havoc - major pixelation. The only way I was able to successfully encode it for full BD-9 (in Windows 7) was use a previous version that allowed not processing the secondary video.

I've always had issues trying to process a full BD-9 with secondary video - I used to get garbled and/or delayed audio (Monsters vs. Alien) and now major pixelation (so it looks like the latest version of BD-R is dealing with the secondary video better if it were not for the major pixelation).

But if the secondary video is not important for some of us is there any way of keeping the PROCESS_SECONDARY=0 as a hidden option or better yet making it a visable option in the GUI.

Also, another issue that I'm having is with the BD-9 backup of my kids disk FURRY VENGEANCE. Terrible movie.. I know.. but the kids love it. It's a Canadian version that has an initial video track after the trailers that allows you to choose whether you want to play the english version or the french. However, the video interface on the BD-9 does not give you the text options to choose (the text on the original BR appears on a log in the middle of the screen) .. the video of the log and the background just continue to play. There's no way you can get to the BR menu from then on. Even when you manually change the chapters (and I'm using TMT2.5 and 3) from 1 to 52 .. you get the same screen... very strange... I don't know if anyone is having issues like this.

Other than these 2 issues, BD-R is working fantastic.
Lynxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 03:34   #9298  |  Link
Capsbackup

@Lynxs;
These two options exist:
Quote:
SECONDARY_CRF=n n = 10..50 - force BD-RB to use the specified CRF value for secondary encodings
SECONDARY_USE_QUALITY=n n = 0/1 - 0=OFF (default) - if set to "0" ultrafast is used, "1" uses standard quality
I'm not sure if this will work, but if you took the original demuxed secondary file, renamed it to the exact same name of the BD-RB reencoded secondary file found in the Workfiles folder, then substituted the original one for the reencoded one in the Workfiles folder, then do just another rebuild. ( Only if you did not have remove Workfiles folder after rebuild selected!) You would then have the original secondary video.
Old 23rd August 2010, 04:59   #9299  |  Link
setarip_old

@Lynxs

Hi!
Quote:
However, the video interface on the BD-9 does not give you the text options to choose (the text on the original BR appears on a log in the middle of the screen)
What software and procedures did you use to rip the original BluRay disc?
Old 23rd August 2010, 05:21   #9300  |  Link
Lynxs

@setarip_old

Used AnyDVD to rip .. everything on the ISO looks fine

Use BD-R 34.07 and selected:

1) Full Backup
2) Quicker for Extras
3) Encode for target size BD-9
4) Automatic Quality Settings
5) Defaults for settings except checked boxes for "use 448 Kbs for AC3 encoding

Thanks for the help

Last edited by Lynxs; 23rd August 2010 at 05:25.
Lynxs is offline   Reply With Quote