Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-2 Encoding

Old 27th November 2012, 16:52   #1  |  Link
Butcher Wing

AVStoDVD + HCenc keeps giving me interlaced output. Why?

Hi,

I've just started using HCenc to convert uncompressed AVI to mpg2. I use AVStoDVD with it. I'm brand new to this so maybe I'm missing something.....

My source video is ('progressive' NTSC 23.976fps uncompressed avi). But no matter what I do, the HCenc keeps giving me an 'interlaced' mpg2 file.

I assume to make the encoder do ''progressive'' you just tick the "DV source" box, so that the interlaced options become grey'd out? But still when it's encoding it says ("Interlaced = no") and ("TFF/BFF = BFF").

And when I check out the outputted mpg2 file, it is indeed 'interlaced'! Why?

Please can someone help?

Here are the settings I used.

I assure you my source video is progressive.

Thanks!
Butcher Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 18:10   #2  |  Link
Butcher Wing

I guess I'm asking.... Why does it say "Interlaced = no" but still show as "BFF" ? :S

Do I need to add some script to make it progressive or something?

Pulling my hair out. :S
Old 27th November 2012, 19:27   #3  |  Link
Butcher Wing

OK, for some reason the mpg2 is showing as "Interlaced" when I check it in "GSpot", but it actually looks progressive when viewing playback and when I opened it in
Sony Vegas, it says it's progressive. So lost. :S
Old 27th November 2012, 20:43   #4  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Maybe GSpot is wrong? Use MediaInfo, much more reliable.

You can set the BFF flag and still have a progressive footage. Progressive overrides the field order. In other words for an interlaced source the field order is mandatory, for a progressive it is irrelevant.

To close the loop, could you run again the AVStoDVD project using default settings (without touching anything in Title Edit)? Then, please post the complete AVStoDVD project log file.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
MrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 21:36   #5  |  Link
Butcher Wing

ok, thanks for that info, good to know. And I'll do that.

And possibly what I'm about to tell you might be part of the issue.

the source video (uncompressed AVI) isn't technically "progressive". It was a PAL (interlaced) mpg2 that I converted to NTSC 23.976fps in Sony Vegas (the proper way) and then rendered as "Progressive" without "de-interlacing". I did this for a reason. Because for some reason, rendering in the correct Interlaced field order caused the output avi to have major ugly ghosting. Why, i do not know. So I found that if I rendered as "progressive" - no ghosting!

So can AVStoDVD/HCEnc actually tell that my source video isn't truly ''progressive''?

Maybe this was the problem all along. :S

Last edited by Butcher Wing; 27th November 2012 at 21:42.
Old 27th November 2012, 22:16   #6  |  Link
Butcher Wing

Problem sorted! It seems Gspot was giving me an incorrect reading. "Media info" says it's "Progressive 3:2" pulldown"

thanks!
Old 28th November 2012, 20:14   #7  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher Wing View Post
the source video (uncompressed AVI) isn't technically "progressive". It was a PAL (interlaced) mpg2 that I converted to NTSC 23.976fps in Sony Vegas (the proper way) and then rendered as "Progressive" without "de-interlacing".
Why don't you simply use the original source to create the DVD? Wouldn't it be easier?

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 29th November 2012, 00:37   #8  |  Link
Butcher Wing

It's a complicated one.

I need it to be NTSC because it's a movie trailer going to be put on an NTSC dvd as a bonus feature. Hence the converting to NTSC. But weirdly it was coming out with serious ghosting when I rendered as interlaced. Even though the source itself was interlaced.

This doesn't usually happen. Anyway, I found that rendering as 'Progressive' sorted this problem. Weird?

Anyway, after encoding that uncompressed avi to mpg2 in HCenc, the resulting mpg2 file is a mixture of progressive and interlaced, according to a friend who checked it out for me. Not really what I wanted, but it'll do. So not to worry.

Last edited by Butcher Wing; 29th November 2012 at 01:04.
Old 29th November 2012, 09:13   #9  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
I need it to be NTSC because it's a movie trailer going to be put on an NTSC dvd as a bonus feature. Hence the converting to NTSC. But weirdly it was coming out with serious ghosting when I rendered as interlaced. Even though the source itself was interlaced.
What did you use to make the interlaced PAL->NTSC conversion? Have you tried with AVStoDVD?

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 1st December 2012, 05:04   #10  |  Link
manono

Quote:
the resulting mpg2 file is a mixture of progressive and interlaced, according to a friend who checked it out for me.
Sounds like the blind leading the blind. MediaInfo already told the story (unless you reencoded it for your 'friend'):
Quote:
"Progressive 3:2" pulldown"
It was encoded as 23.976fps progressive with pulldown applied so it outputs interlaced 29.97fps as required for NTSC DVDs. When played in a DVD player set for progressive scan to a progressive TV (one such as a Hi-Def widescreen LCD/LED so common these days), nothing gets deinterlaced. It's effectively progressive. There are no interlaced frames stored in the DVD.

And as MrC implies, your conversion method is screwy.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote