Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 20th June 2012, 08:40   #13341  |  Link
Andre4

Hello!madvr log too big on desktop =( , what to do?
Andre4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 09:31   #13342  |  Link
Andy o

Don't run the whole movie? Usually only several seconds are OK, and then if you wanna send the file, zip it.
Old 20th June 2012, 09:40   #13343  |  Link
jakmal

AMD 7750 - 1080i60 H.264 in DXVA2CB + madVR Mode

Hendrik,

I believe you have a AMD 7750, so this problem might be easy for you to reproduce:

Test clip : La Traviata 2min. 1080i60 H.264 stream : http://www.4shared.com/video/eCsT9qK...min_HD_i_.html

Software Environment : MPC-HC 1.6.2.4902 ; LAV Filters 0.50.5 ; madVR 0.82.5

Hardware : AMD 7750, HDMI output connected to Acer H243H monitor, DVI output connected to a Dell monitor through VGA ;

Configuration : madVR High Quality (Default) settings with LAV Video Decoder set to DXVA2 Copy-Back mode ; Video set to play in FSW mode on the Acer H243H.

Symptom: Green flashes throughout the playback of the stream.

Video of symptom: www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrVWs4isI9s

Problem doesn't appear if using EVR-CP.

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
jakmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 10:35   #13344  |  Link
vivan
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Andre4,
If you don't need logging - run "activate release mode.bat" in madVR folder.
vivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 20:25   #13345  |  Link
digitech

hi guys a newbie here, I have read almost all this great madvr madshi's thread since like 2 years, all my doubts have been answered silently by you all thanks! but now i decided to register to ask a question im sure that hasn't been asked before, maybe it's a question to you all, maybe only to madshi, well, here i go, all my 480i,480p,720p movies have been upscaled to 1080p surprisingly great by madvr on acer revo 3610 with the power of nvidia ion, im about to buy an upscaler by anchor bay that will cost me $500 bucks mainly to upscale cable, some dvds, my 480p dreamcast and 480p wii, maybe some of you already guessed what i'm going to ask, is it possible that those signals can be feed to a pc with the right video card and madvr get that signal and upscale it the same as it does with regular videos and movies? i know it's a crazyyyyy question but maybe it's the next madvr step, it would replace all the upscalers that are in the market! and by the way it can make my wallet $500 bucks heavier, maybe i sound like a cheapo but hey anything can be possible!!
digitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 02:30   #13346  |  Link
Mikey2

digitech - my Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver has an Anchor Bay up-scaling chip. I am not entirely sure what you are asking, as that is independent of anything I am doing on madVR. However, I am guessing you are asking if you can feed your Wii/Cable/etc into your computer so that madVR can do the up-scaling? AFAIK that is not possible with something like a video-game console. You can always get a Cable-card/TV tuner in your PC so you can display cable through that. For that, although I have not tried it, I do not see why you cannot force madVR to render the video.

However, I mainly wanted to post to let you know that even if it was possible, unless you are upgrading your entire receiver, I do not really recommend it for $500. First off, most cable stations these days are Hi Def already, so you will not really be using the up-scaler anyway. (Well, technically you are with at 720p signal; however, many stations broadcast in 1080i, which naturally only requires de-interlacing.) I do use my Yamaha/Anchor Bay to upscale my Wii from 480p to 1080p, and while it is a bit nicer than letting the TV itself do the scaling (remember it always has to be done at some-point, somewhere,) the difference is minor enough that I do not think it is worth the price. Remember, while up-scaling a 480 signal can be done in better/worse ways, in the end you still just have a 640x480 signal! There is no "magic" that suddenly gives you pixel-information that is not already there in the first place! (Yes, I love madVR's up-scaling algorithms, but there is more going on than just upscaling that makes madVR output a better image than other renderers.) If anything, I believe there is more value in a good de-interlacer if you are stuck with a 480i signal.

EDIT - One more point: I am not sure if the upscaler you're looking at has this limitation, but mine cannot up-scale a 720p signal anyway. (I think that may even violate HDMI HDCP!) It will only upscale 480i/480p...so my point about up-scaling 720p Cable stations on the Anchor Bay is probably moot.

I hope this helps...

Last edited by Mikey2; 22nd June 2012 at 03:05.
Mikey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 02:56   #13347  |  Link
Mikey2

jakmal -

I apologize if you received an erroneous response that I just deleted. I mis-read the screen on your YouTube video and I erroneously thought it said the video was 23.976 fps (progressive.) Thus my entire response was worthless.

I take it this only happens on interlaced material? Have you tried turning off "aggressive de-interlacing" in LAV Video Decoder and/or turning off de-interlacing in madVR?

Finally, while this may not matter, have you tried using software decoding instead of DXVA2-callback? (Remember if that works, you lose nothing in video-quality, it just frees up GPU resources for de-interlacing by putting the decoding-work on the CPU instead.)
Mikey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 14:23   #13348  |  Link
Yankun
10-bit lover

Queue in madVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
For me on my laptop with Intel HD graphics, I lowered the GPU queue to the lowest and also set to disable Aero in fullscreen.

Not sure which scalers you can use with that older Intel GPU. What resolution is your screen and what resolution and frame rate are your videos?
Sorry for late reply.

My resolution is 1280x800 and I usually watch 720p videos at 23.976 fps in windowed mode. It's horrible for a 60hz screen but I don't really have a choice.

I've tried a lot of combinations in the settings but I didn't see any difference in performance, either it's in low or high queue it seems to play everything the same way.

I'm not having problems though - I just wanted to know if there could be any impact on the overall system performance.
Yankun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 14:32   #13349  |  Link
namaiki

If you are watching 1280x720 at 1280x720 (black bars on top and bottom) it will be very easy on the GPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankun View Post
Sorry for late reply.

My resolution is 1280x800 and I usually watch 720p videos at 23.976 fps in windowed mode. It's horrible for a 60hz screen but I don't really have a choice.

I've tried a lot of combinations in the settings but I didn't see any difference in performance, either it's in low or high queue it seems to play everything the same way.

I'm not having problems though - I just wanted to know if there could be any impact on the overall system performance.
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 15:45   #13350  |  Link
digitech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey2 View Post
digitech - my Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver has an Anchor Bay up-scaling chip. I am not entirely sure what you are asking, as that is independent of anything I am doing on madVR. However, I am guessing you are asking if you can feed your Wii/Cable/etc into your computer so that madVR can do the up-scaling? AFAIK that is not possible with something like a video-game console. You can always get a Cable-card/TV tuner in your PC so you can display cable through that. For that, although I have not tried it, I do not see why you cannot force madVR to render the video.

However, I mainly wanted to post to let you know that even if it was possible, unless you are upgrading your entire receiver, I do not really recommend it for $500. First off, most cable stations these days are Hi Def already, so you will not really be using the up-scaler anyway. (Well, technically you are with at 720p signal; however, many stations broadcast in 1080i, which naturally only requires de-interlacing.) I do use my Yamaha/Anchor Bay to upscale my Wii from 480p to 1080p, and while it is a bit nicer than letting the TV itself do the scaling (remember it always has to be done at some-point, somewhere,) the difference is minor enough that I do not think it is worth the price. Remember, while up-scaling a 480 signal can be done in better/worse ways, in the end you still just have a 640x480 signal! There is no "magic" that suddenly gives you pixel-information that is not already there in the first place! (Yes, I love madVR's up-scaling algorithms, but there is more going on than just upscaling that makes madVR output a better image than other renderers.) If anything, I believe there is more value in a good de-interlacer if you are stuck with a 480i signal.

EDIT - One more point: I am not sure if the upscaler you're looking at has this limitation, but mine cannot up-scale a 720p signal anyway. (I think that may even violate HDMI HDCP!) It will only upscale 480i/480p...so my point about up-scaling 720p Cable stations on the Anchor Bay is probably moot.

I hope this helps...
Thanks Mikey, you are right with the point about the upscaler not doing 720p, i didn't think about that very important thing, i guess im going to stick with a better a/v receiver at this moment, thanks for the help!
digitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 02:47   #13351  |  Link
Yankun
10-bit lover

Queue in madVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
If you are watching 1280x720 at 1280x720 (black bars on top and bottom) it will be very easy on the GPU.
Yup, it's just like I said - I don't have any problems, I just though I still could improve anything, so I had to ask, but from my search results and the answers in here, I don't think there is anything more I should do, thanks for the help everyone.
Yankun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 01:45   #13352  |  Link
Boltron

Questions regarding Color and Gamma calibration

I have questions about the calibration settings in madVR. The specific ones are Devices > Calibration and Devices > Color & Gamma.

I have a LG LCD (LED Full Array) set which I have calibrated for both color (has yCMS adjustments) and grey scale with a colorimeter and ColorHCFR software. I am not an expert at this but I have done it a few times following a good guide and I am quite happy with the results.

I have the calibration results for red/green/blue/white and grey scale from ColorHCFR.

So my questions.

1) Devices > Calibration
Do I select "this display is already calibrated" or do I select "calibrate this display by using yCMS" and enter my results data?

2) Again in Devices > Calibration
I calibrated to BT.709 to 2.20. What do I select for the transfer function / gamma? Is it Pure Power Curve 2.20?

3) Devices > Color & Gamma
Do I enable Gamma Processing?

My setup is Win7, MC17 with madVR and LAV Filters.

Thanks.
Boltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 01:46   #13353  |  Link
plew

Cannot seek or pause vob

mpc-hc 1.6.2.4902, lav .50.5, madvr 82.5. Win7(64) GT450, amd athlon II x2 250, 3G. 8G memory

I can start to play a dvd, vob folder but if I try to seek or pause, mpc-hc hangs and becomes unresponsive. The seek or pause never happens. This is only using madvr. If I switch to evr it's good. 720x480 movies.

Bluray movies are fine.
CPU and GPU usage are low.
plew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 08:40   #13354  |  Link
Nya_Su

Hi everyone,

I'm stuck with a problem and would like your opinion.

When I play a video using madVR, it starts without trouble: all queues are stable, no dropped or delayed frames.

But sooner or later - could be 5 minutes, could be an hour and a half -, there's always a moment when dropped frames appears and keep piling up (whereas queues are still stable).

Why I think it's strange: I couldn't find a commun denominator. It happens with every version of MPC-HC I tried (trunk or not), whatever codec is used, software or hardware decoding

mode. My configuration of madVR is based on this guide (http://wp.me/PrgSo-vn), I tried other options without any change. And I guess my computer should be more than enough (i7-P67-8Go

of RAM-GTX 460).

I noticed only one thing when it happens: I got a "red graph" peak in the CPU graph in process explorer that I can't explain, see http://i.imgur.com/8bD0D.png.

Does anyone have any idea on what's happening?

Thanks for reading this.
Nya_Su is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 09:50   #13355  |  Link
ryrynz

The common denominator here likely is your queue and flush settings and perhaps your driver version.

Perhaps JarrettH's post a few pages back might help?

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...06#post1575606
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 16:24   #13356  |  Link
Nya_Su

@ryrynz: I'm currently using 301.42 WHQL drivers. But it doesn't change anything, and there has been no change since previous drivers (beta or not).

I tried using JarrettH's settings, and that doesn't change anything...
Old 24th June 2012, 23:56   #13357  |  Link
ryrynz

I would be investigating what active process causes that CPU spike in process explorer then. Wouldn't hurt to see if anything changes with Reclock disabled.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2012, 18:11   #13358  |  Link
Nya_Su

@ryrynz: I've had this problem since before I discovered Reclock, so it ain't a suspect.

In process explorer, all it says is that "mpc-hc.exe" is using about 12% CPU, even when there is the red spike... so I don't know what is causing this red spike...
Old 25th June 2012, 18:17   #13359  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nya_Su View Post
@ryrynz: I've had this problem since before I discovered Reclock, so it ain't a suspect.

In process explorer, all it says is that "mpc-hc.exe" is using about 12% CPU, even when there is the red spike... so I don't know what is causing this red spike...
Enable the CPU history column.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 19:49   #13360  |  Link
Xello

So I noticed that at the 0-255 setting in madVR, viewing this black clipping pattern I could not with any change of my TV settings get the 0-16 lines to be visible. When i change to limited range 16-235 though all the lines appear, like in the image above. Is that normal? I'd have thought it should be the other way round.
Xello is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling