Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th October 2015, 19:35   #33561  |  Link
rafi.hamid

thank you Asmodian
By the way if I don't mistake you have gtx 980ti just like me,
if so can you please send to me your madvr settings file to replace it with mine, I will be very grateful for this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rafi.hamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 22:33   #33562  |  Link
djsolidsnake86

aspect ratio isn't changing anymore with latest versions... why?

i'm using mpc hc

Last edited by djsolidsnake86; 14th October 2015 at 22:52.
djsolidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 00:36   #33563  |  Link
egandt

Windows 10, madvr 89.9, LAV .66, dropped frames when browsing

Play is great in Windows 10, but the moment I open a browser (FF, Chrome or IE and try to use a new TAB) I get dropped frames. I see the GPU go from 45% to 0% and I loss 1, 10, 50, even 200 frames then it returns as if nothing happened. I'm using Nvidia 355.82 (newer drivers to do find any HDMI attached devices). I've never in years had a similar issue with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 was fine for the first 2 or 3 weeks, but now it is nearly worthless.

Tested with ZP11, ZP10, PotPlayer, and MP-HC, it appears to be related to MadVR, but I have no way to say that for sure.

I've tried reinstalling Video MadVR, LAV and ZP (10 and 11) all without success. I've also tried using DX9 and DX11 rendering without any changes as well as disabled GPU acceleration in FF and chrome without an success.

Note that windows explorer, graphics viewers and every other app I've tried does not cause the issue only Browsers from what I can tell.

Any Idea what could be the cause or how to fix it?
ERIC

Last edited by egandt; 15th October 2015 at 01:15.
egandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 07:15   #33564  |  Link
MrBonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLow View Post
Are you have Platform Update https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2670838 installed?
Ah yes, this infamous update.

Yes I do have it installed. But I uninstall it when necessary for applications and games that have problems with it.
I had this problem with and without it IIRC
MrBonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 07:34   #33565  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by egandt View Post
Play is great in Windows 10, but the moment I open a browser (FF, Chrome or IE and try to use a new TAB) I get dropped frames.
Try increasing the queue sizes and see if that helps.
You may have to switch to DX9 mode though, because DX11 doesn't seem to play nicely with large queue sizes. (>8 with 8-bit, and >6 with 10-bit output in my experience)
Issues like that are why I'm back on 8.1 for now though.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 09:02   #33566  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace960 View Post
I found out that the option "disable desktop composition" no longer works for me. I am not able to specify exact releases.
Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
does this apply to all movies or only those with zoom settings active? if to all movies, the subs should always be at exactly that position where they are when using any other player as well.
I will add an option in the next build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm3nian View Post
Anyone notice poor performance with smooth motion? On my 980ti it increases render times by 6ms. That's quite a bit when your gpu already getting destroyed by nnedi3 upscaling to 4k.
Are you using error diffusion? Try ordered or random dithering instead, if your GPU can't handle error diffusion with smooth motion + NNEDI3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
Madvr has issues with DPC using in Potplayer x32 newest not beta , has terrible high DPC and slow motion high cpu after seeking couple of time. didn't happen with madvr 89.6

EDIT : on version 89.8 and 89.9 Very high DPC and high cpu with stuttering randomly and slow motion if seeking more than 5-6 times till it's back to normal after 7 seconds and still continue with high randomly high DPC jumps

EDIT : The slow motion and high jumps happens when Subtitles are shown.
Which subtitle renderer? Which type of subtitles (SRT, ASS, PGS, VOBSUB, ...)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannes69 View Post
Now the question how to transport the information out of madvr. I think for several purposes some kind of interface between madvr and an end-user is needed / useful:

- controlling of projector related stuff like masking, external calibration boxes, ...
- leaner "trade quality for performance"-list (main items for the "normal" user in the list, special commands for the "pro" user by interface; no more excuses "the list is already too long"
- probably no more need of filenaming-tricks
- user wishes like 538 different adjusting options in the image refinement section
- customizable OSD with 50+ displayable parameters for control freaks

There are many reasons for such an interface.
Of course it makes no sense to give an end-user too much control, but on the other side there are many "pros" (and I think madvr is developed for enthusiasts) who know to make use of more controlling possibilities in a right way.
I think an interface would be the right way out of blowing up the GUI with too many options for a beginner but preserve much more freedom for the advanced user.
Iīm not a "real" programmer so I canīt say what would be the best solution for such an interface.
You're talking about a complex OSD here, which is somewhere in my list of things to do. But that really has nothing to do with exporting black bar detection information to your self-written software for your screen masking. That's a totally different topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannes69 View Post
For my application case the following would be nice (donīt know if that is easy to do):
To control the motors of my masking system I plan to make a simple GUI application with Visual Studio (GUI to have some knobs, sliders and so on for real time adjustments for the system and a manual override possibility in case of automatic failures). The system is controlled through a serial connection (RS232).
The needed information from madvr (in my case target rectangle) can be gathered like that: there exists a madvr_communication_to_end_user.dll which I can simply import to my project (add reference) and then I can directly make use of the many well-prepared and well-documented methods of the dll (using madvr = madvr_communication_to_end_user; int w = madvr.target.width(); )
That would be really nice for programming purposes.
For me it doesnīt matter HOW to gather the needed information from madvr, it matters THAT I can gather it ...
You are a real programmer madshi, itīs up to you to decide about the right interface
Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
I think a more generalized interface to get (and maybe set them as well ) those variables would be even better. E.g. like it was implemented in MPC-HC by gabest at the ancient days (through a small built-in web server), and it could give back a json string or any other standard strings.
That's all technically possible, but I have rather limited development resources. I'll think about it, but the end result in the short term will probably be a *very* simple (and maybe somewhat ugly) solution. If you have a good idea for something like that, which I could implement in just a couple of minutes, let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
Vobsub from bluray, rendered on cinemascope cropped encode is cut (about halfway) and stretched along its horizontal axis. They also don't render on black bars when fullscreen on 16:9 display. I can take a screenshot if required.
Screenshot and sample, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLai View Post
Ugh.......then it is Intel fault?

If this is the case.....then I propose madshi to disable the directx 11 option for intel IGPU.
It works fine on some Intel GPUs with some drivers on some OSs. So no, I will not disable it. It's disabled by default. That should be good enough for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBonk View Post
I just wanted to ask, with DX11 exclusive mode. Is it normal on W7 for it to simply say "D3D9 Exclusive (New Path)"

Afterburner's OSD shows DX9 and not DX11
As SweetLow already said, the Platform Update is required for this. If you do have it installed, the only other reasons that come to my mind right now why DX11 presentation might fail are:

1) Try enabling Aero / Desktop Composition. It's needed. I think madVR should enable it automatically, but I'm not 100% sure about that right now.
2) Make sure you have "present several frames in advance" activated in the fullscreen exclusive mode settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
When adding the relevant option, I suggest a tri-state one, like in MPC-HC. So "move subs" = on/off/auto. With auto being default, which moves srt/vob/pgs, but keeps ssa relative to video by default. MPC-HC ISR has knowledge wether ssa has any fixed positioning or not, so perhaps it could communicate that info to allow moving subs in even more cases.
I've patched XySubFilter to report to me whether ssa/ass subtitles have fixed positioning or not (XySubFilter exports two new bools named "IsMovable" and "IsBitmap"). I'm planning to add an option like this:

[x] move subtitles ... [to the bottom of the screen/window | into the active video area]

So 3 possible values. Can be completely turned off, or subs can be moved either to the bottom of the screen/window, or into the active video area. Moving into the active video area would also work with the information from black bar detection. So the feature could potentially move subtitles either up or down, or leave them in their original location. Moving would only be done if subs don't have hard positioning information.

One thing I'm not sure about: Currently I stop moving subtitles "forever" (at least until the next video is loaded or a different subtitle track is selected) once I find even one subtitle which has hard positioning, even if subtitles after that are not hard positioned, anymore. I wonder if that's the "right" way to do it. Maybe I should start moving subtitles again, when they lose their hard positioning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecurityBunny View Post
Madshi, I am experiencing odd subtitle issues with the later madVR builds.

MPC-HC 1.7.9.181 x64
XySubFilter 3.1.0.744 x64

MadVR 0.89.7-0.89.9
When playing a video at a non-native resolution, the screen flashes every time subtitles are loaded, as well as subtitles are much larger than they should be. The flickering occurs with even the latest build, 0.89.9. Disabling smooth motion, the flickering seems to disappear but subtitles still flash in from the top of the window to the position they are suppose to display at, presumably due to the resizing. When I skip through the video and go through a stylized karaoke typesetting, the subtitles resize back to the original size they should be at.
http://i.imgur.com/ugaNHP7.jpg

With madVR 0.89.6, everything is fine. No screen flashing with subtitles loading in (with smooth motion), no popping subtitles dragging into position, and no large subtitles.
http://i.imgur.com/SXl2nRT.jpg
Screen flashing should be fixed with v0.89.9. Are you sure this is still happening with v0.89.9? You should only get that with v0.89.7.

About the other problem: See my reply to clsid above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsolidsnake86 View Post
aspect ratio isn't changing anymore with latest versions... why?
Not sure what you mean. Can you clarify?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 09:19   #33567  |  Link
MrBonk

AH, ok. I see. It's because I don't user Aero. (It's a PoS anyway) It uses DX11 as it is supposed to with Aero enabled. But my render times pretty much double in the process. (From avg of ~7/8ms with a max of 10ms for a 480p video upscaled to 768p. To an avg of ~16ms or more with a max of 24ms.)
(Though no dropped or dupped frames or glitches with those increased render times. As the video is only 24fps anyway)

Thanks a lot!
I always thought something was wrong and I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. Are there any large benefits of this I should be aware of over DX9?

Last edited by MrBonk; 15th October 2015 at 09:24.
Old 15th October 2015, 09:26   #33568  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Main benefit is support for 10bit native output in fullscreen exclusive support. And on my PC faster switching times between windowed and FSE mode. Not sure why rendering times are so much higher. That's not happening on my PC. Aero is much better on Windows 8.1+ compared to Windows 7. If you don't absolutely need 10bit native output, probably you could just as well stick to DX9 in Windows 7.
Old 15th October 2015, 09:29   #33569  |  Link
ace960

disable desktop composition

Quote:
I found out that the option "disable desktop composition" no longer works for me. I am not able to specify exact releases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Why not?
I used madVR 0.87.13 for long time. I had an occasional window freeze problem on PC monitor when I was watching a movie on TV which is second display of the same system. I was suggested to enable the option "disable desktop composition" to avoid the window freezing. It helped. That's why I remember it worked in 0.87.13.

I recently updated the package for movie playback (gpu drivers, mpc-hc, madVR and reclock) to newer releases. I did have some initial problems with the new package (not talking about the option "disable desktop composition"). I decided to update madVR to actual release before trying to investigate or posting it here. New releases were coming quite frequently so I did several updates of madVR. I then hit the window freeze problem again. I found out that desktop composition is not automatically disabled. However, I did not test thoroughly each madVR release (I might not even use some of them) so I am not able to say which exact release introduced this problem.
ace960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 09:37   #33570  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I used madVR 0.87.13 for long time. I had an occasional window freeze problem on PC monitor when I was watching a movie on TV which is second display of the same system. I was suggested to enable the option "disable desktop composition" to avoid the window freezing. It helped. That's why I remember it worked in 0.87.13.

I recently updated the package for movie playback (gpu drivers, mpc-hc, madVR and reclock) to newer releases. I did have some initial problems with the new package (not talking about the option "disable desktop composition"). I decided to update madVR to actual release before trying to investigate or posting it here. New releases were coming quite frequently so I did several updates of madVR. I then hit the window freeze problem again. I found out that desktop composition is not automatically disabled. However, I did not test thoroughly each madVR release (I might not even use some of them) so I am not able to say which exact release introduced this problem.
I understand. The problem for me is that although it *was* a known issue that madVR failed to disable desktop composition, it was fixed in v0.89.6 and the user(s) reporting the original problem confirmed that it was fixed. Which means that if you still have that problem, right now you seem to be the only one. That makes it hard for me to fix the problem. You would increase the chances of a fix if you could isolate the exact build which broke the problem for you.

You can download all older madVR builds here:

http://www.videohelp.com/software/ma...sions#download

The user who reported the same problem before stated that it was introduced with v.0.88.6. So maybe that would be a good starting point for you to test. Maybe you got the same problem introduced with that build, too?
Old 15th October 2015, 09:43   #33571  |  Link
djsolidsnake86

if i change the ar aspect ratio in mpc nothing happen, the video is shown by the default ar
djsolidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 09:43   #33572  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsolidsnake86 View Post
if i change the ar aspect ratio in mpc nothing happen, the video is shown by the default ar
Ah that, yes. I've already reported this to kasper93. It's something that needs to be fixed in MPC-HC.
Old 15th October 2015, 09:57   #33573  |  Link
MrBonk

Quote:
Main benefit is support for 10bit native output in fullscreen exclusive support. And on my PC faster switching times between windowed and FSE mode. Not sure why rendering times are so much higher. That's not happening on my PC. Aero is much better on Windows 8.1+ compared to Windows 7. If you don't absolutely need 10bit native output, probably you could just as well stick to DX9 in Windows 7.
Ah well yeah, W7. And my display isn't a native 10-bit. So I don't need that. But if I end up with one one of these days. I know what to do then.

Many thanks. Keep up the good work, MadVR is great!
Old 15th October 2015, 10:51   #33574  |  Link
dimitrik

I seem to get mediocre performance on my fairly powerful i7 desktop with a GTX 660Ti.

Render times when upscaling 24fps 480p content to 1080p, are around 40-41ms. This is just on the edge of having frame drops.

My settings are:
  • Image doubling/quadrupling: Nnedi3 / 32 neurons for both
  • Chroma upscaling: Jinc / AR
  • Image Upscaling: Jinc / AR (not generally used because of the image quadrupling)
  • Downscaling: Catmul Rom / AR / LL
  • 8-bit output / Direct3d11 / FSE
  • Dithering Error Diffusion Option 2
  • Debanding: Low/medium
  • All "trade quality for performance" settings turned off.
  • Queues set to 25% above default. Same for FSE "present several frames in advance"
  • Smooth Motion: On (output is to a 60Hz 1920x1200 monitor)
  • LAV filters set to software decoding
  • Windows 7 x64, Latest nvidia drivers (358.50), MPC-HC (1.7.9.181), MadVR 0.89.6

Can anyone advise me on whether this is to be expected? I was kinda hoping for something better, maybe even running nnedi3 at 64 neurons. Anything I could do to improve it?

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 3700x, 16GB DDR4, 1TB NVME SSD, Asus x570 Tuf Gaming, Nvidia RTX 2060.
dimitrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 10:58   #33575  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrik View Post
Can anyone advise me on whether this is to be expected? I was kinda hoping for something better, maybe even running nnedi3 at 64 neurons. Anything I could do to improve it?
NNEDI3 will just take a lot of performance. Even the most high-end of cards can't run it on full neurons.
In any case, get rid of ED dithering, it eats a bunch of performance for an extremely minuscule gain - especially with Smooth Motion, as it has to dither every single output frame that SM generates. Use OD instead.

You might also fare better by just using Image Doubling with 64 neurons and forgetting about quadrupling.
Old 15th October 2015, 11:06   #33576  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
NNEDI3 will just take a lot of performance. Even the most high-end of cards can't run it on full neurons.
In any case, get rid of ED dithering, it eats a bunch of performance for an extremely minuscule gain - especially with Smooth Motion, as it has to dither every single output frame that SM generates. Use OD instead.

You might also fare better by just using Image Doubling with 64 neurons and forgetting about quadrupling.
Fully agreed. Doubling is so much more important than Quadrupling. An alternative might be to use Image Doubling with 64 neurons and Image Quadrupling with 16 neurons. Another option might be to try combining super-xbr with SuperRes ("only once") instead of using NNEDI3.
Old 15th October 2015, 12:28   #33577  |  Link
SecurityBunny

Quote:

Screen flashing should be fixed with v0.89.9. Are you sure this is still happening with v0.89.9? You should only get that with v0.89.7.
The screen flashing is still occurring with v0.89.9, yes. Here are a few sample videos I took. Issue occurs with all builds between 0.89.7-0.89.9, testing was done on the latest.

MadVR v0.89.9
Flashing screen with smooth motion enabled. - Video Download
Flashing also occurs on normal dialogue subtitles that pop up at the bottom of the screen.

Flashing subtitles with smooth motion disabled. - Video Download

Big subtitles that sometimes don't retain the large size when skipping through the video. - Video Download

Big subtitles that go back to normal when skipping through a stylized karaoke opening. - Video Download

MadVR v0.89.6
No flashing subtitles or screen with smooth motion enabled. - Video Download

Normal sized subtitles. - Video Download

I also ran into an issue where a few videos of mine, XySubFilter 3.1.0.744 does not display the subtitles while MPC-HC's internal subtitle renderer can. Here is one of my video files where this issue occurs. Video Download

Last edited by SecurityBunny; 15th October 2015 at 12:44.
SecurityBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 15:48   #33578  |  Link
dimitrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post

Quote:
Fully agreed. Doubling is so much more important than Quadrupling. An alternative might be to use Image Doubling with 64 neurons and Image Quadrupling with 16 neurons. Another option might be to try combining super-xbr with SuperRes ("only once") instead of using NNEDI3.

Thanks so much to both of you!

@nevcariel
I find ED just a bit nicer than OD, but I can certainly live without it. Will do as you suggest.

@madshi
I actually do something like that on my slower HTPC, with a radeon 7850: 32 neurons doubling + 16 neuron quadrupling. I quite like the result. I will also test plain doubling with 64 neurons + Jinc upscaling.

On the other hand, I'm not a fan of super-xbr/SR. I seem to be very sensitive to the ringing artifacts, so I can only use it at sharpness 25, without SR.
I wonder if its my eyes or whatever, since everyone else seems to love it

I do like SR on top of nnedi3 for certain very old LQ sources though.

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 3700x, 16GB DDR4, 1TB NVME SSD, Asus x570 Tuf Gaming, Nvidia RTX 2060.
dimitrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 16:28   #33579  |  Link
aufkrawall

I'd try NNEDI3 64 for doubling + super-xbr 75 quadrupling.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 17:53   #33580  |  Link
ace960

Quote:

Quote:
I understand. The problem for me is that although it *was* a known issue that madVR failed to disable desktop composition, it was fixed in v0.89.6 and the user(s) reporting the original problem confirmed that it was fixed. Which means that if you still have that problem, right now you seem to be the only one. That makes it hard for me to fix the problem. You would increase the chances of a fix if you could isolate the exact build which broke the problem for you.

You can download all older madVR builds here:

http://www.videohelp.com/software/ma...sions#download

The user who reported the same problem before stated that it was introduced with v.0.88.6. So maybe that would be a good starting point for you to test. Maybe you got the same problem introduced with that build, too?
I downloaded builds 0.88.6 and 0.88.5 for testing. Then I decided to test it again on 0.89.9. It works correctly (without the mpc-hc.exe compatibility setting). I really did not want to post non-existing problem. Thank you for your support.
ace960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling