Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 13th October 2018, 12:05   #53161  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
try the send bt 2020 option under calibration.
not sure how your device exsactly handles this but if you have it by default in bt 709 mode and add this bt 2020 option to the HDR profile it should switch if it understand this setting.
Actually, he may not even need the profiles in the PJ. Here's what I do for Panasonic UHD SDR TV:

In calibration section, I set colorspace to BT.2020 and select "report BT.2020 to display. MadVR should remap BT.709 HD bluray to BT.2020 , and the switch should put the PJ into BT.2020 mode automatically. With HDR content, if set to "tone map HDR", the passthorugh of BT2020 should also be automatic.
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2018, 16:26   #53162  |  Link
zapatista

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
HI Madshi,

i just replaced my old ati 5770 with a gtx 1060 (3gb) , but i have major dropped frames in madvr when playing video since i installed this card (about 10/sec). this is even with default madvr settings, and using mpc-hc (64 bit).
pc = i7-4770k cpu, 32 gb ram, ssd 500 gb, and new 1060 3gb gfx card on a win7 64 bit system

other video players work fine, eg cyberlink powerdvd, vlc, mplayer without madvr is also ok, etc
i have tried several gfx drivers (latest whql, version on the install dvd, best recommended by other users for similar video card etc..), all no solution. also checked for mb driver & bios updates etc (all are up to date). gfx card has no alternative bios release to try.
i did search for other users w madvr reporting similar problems but the main suggestions (from yourself earlier in this thread for ex) was to turn flux off and not use gpu-z, didnt seem to help in my case

https://ibb.co/eQ0VZU

when i first installed the new 1060 gfx card i thought it was working correctly, even was able to play some 4k HEVC files smoothly(downscaled to my 1080 tv over hdmi) and was really impressed with the quality of the video image (as i was expecting from madvr from my old ati card use in previous yrs), but then further testing with 1080p and 720p files (mp4 and HEVC) over the following days all started to have similar severe dropped frames (tried lots of settings in madvr options, but now even default settings with all enhancements off now cause dropped frames 10/sec approx)

i have reset madvr to defaults, uninstalled and reinstalled mpc-ht etc, sadly no solution found so far. cpu usage stays low @ 30% approx, and gpu load is also low @ approx 30% with only 900 mb of the 3 gb vram used (as reported by gpu-z)

any idea what i should look at ?
Quote:
your presentation times are terrible try windows 7 overlay.
i have tried the win7 overlay you suggested, no real improvement regretfully

thx for pointing to the poor "presentation time" as an indication of my poor video play, i can monitor that variable also now when searching for solutions

when i switch users on my win 7 install to admin user and play the same video files everything seems to run fine (using default mpc-ht and default madvr settings) see image
https://ibb.co/fFq7m9 this would at least suggest there is no hardware issues (ram etc ) or bios setup problems etc, also the current win7 install works ok when run from another user account to.

anybody know what else i can look at to find the cause of my high frame drops and poor render times? (as seen here https://ibb.co/eQ0VZU)

to me the current poor video play seems to behave as if some crumbs from a previous madvr installation might still be interfering somehow with my fresh madvr and mpc-ht re-install and their default setup

Last edited by zapatista; 13th October 2018 at 17:33.
zapatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2018, 16:48   #53163  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post

any ideas why the picture changes to black and white for me as soon as I set "highlight recovery strength" to anything else than 'none'?
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
Same here,, happens with 92.15 too.
GTX660, software decoding.

Probably DirectCompute related.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanden View Post
Exactly same problem here !

MPC-HC 1.7.13 (x86&x64)
MADVR 0.92.17
Geforce 650Ti
DL580G5 (4xXeonX7460)
Win10 1803

it worked fine before (DirectCompute ?)
And it possible to be able to choose the old algo ?
Guys, who doesn't have laptop (Optimus)? I do, unfortunately.
It's definitely DirectCompute related.

Edit: it's fixed in madVRhdrMeasure10, just wait for the new release. (Although my laptop doesn't have enough juice to use both "compromise tone & gamut mapping ..." unchecked and "highlight recovery" at the same time )

Last edited by chros; 13th October 2018 at 17:30.
chros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2018, 19:04   #53164  |  Link
Khaled1323

any idea why it says windows 8 bit even thou my monitor is 10 bit?
Khaled1323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2018, 19:06   #53165  |  Link
mclingo

have you set your panel to 10 bit or higher in MADVR?

In devices / properties at the top.
Old 13th October 2018, 19:10   #53166  |  Link
Khaled1323

yes
Khaled1323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2018, 19:56   #53167  |  Link
SirSwede

Hello!

I am soon to be an owner of a Inno3D GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 1-Slot Edition HDMI DP 4GB. How do I want to be scaling 540p, 720p and 1080p, respectively, to a LG OLED55C8?

SirSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2018, 20:14   #53168  |  Link
brazen1

Khaled, use FSE Full Screen Exclusive.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2018, 21:12   #53169  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSwede View Post
How do I want to be scaling 540p, 720p and 1080p, respectively, to a LG OLED55C8?
The answer is, however you want. Most would use NGU (any variant) for their luma/chroma upscaling and SSIM 1D/2D for downscaling.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2018, 21:25   #53170  |  Link
Crimson Wolf

Khaled, if you have anything open like right-click mouse and menu, it will be 8-bit until that menu is closed. If nothing is open, and it's still 8-bit, try rebooting. If you still have issues, try reinstalling the video drivers.
Crimson Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2018, 21:31   #53171  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
i have tried the win7 overlay you suggested, no real improvement regretfully
that's odd
Quote:
thx for pointing to the poor "presentation time" as an indication of my poor video play, i can monitor that variable also now when searching for solutions

when i switch users on my win 7 install to admin user and play the same video files everything seems to run fine (using default mpc-ht and default madvr settings) see image
https://ibb.co/fFq7m9 this would at least suggest there is no hardware issues (ram etc ) or bios setup problems etc, also the current win7 install works ok when run from another user account to.

anybody know what else i can look at to find the cause of my high frame drops and poor render times? (as seen here https://ibb.co/eQ0VZU)

to me the current poor video play seems to behave as if some crumbs from a previous madvr installation might still be interfering somehow with my fresh madvr and mpc-ht re-install and their default setup
on your first screen did you disable aero?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2018, 21:41   #53172  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post
Actually, he may not even need the profiles in the PJ. Here's what I do for Panasonic UHD SDR TV:

In calibration section, I set colorspace to BT.2020 and select "report BT.2020 to display. MadVR should remap BT.709 HD bluray to BT.2020 , and the switch should put the PJ into BT.2020 mode automatically. With HDR content, if set to "tone map HDR", the passthorugh of BT2020 should also be automatic.
while you may not need that.
sending bt 2020 to a screen that is not bt 2020 is not ideal in my book. the screen needs to do heavy processing.

this is totally different if you run a screen in native mode and 3D LUT correct the image.

on projector it's an even bigger problem.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2018, 22:01   #53173  |  Link
SirSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
The answer is, however you want. Most would use NGU (any variant) for their luma/chroma upscaling and SSIM 1D/2D for downscaling.
Okay. Does it matter that it is an old processor and old ram? All that Madvr needs is a good graphics card, right?

Also, someone told me that the TV is better at scaling these resolutions to 4K, than Madvr, which is not the case, right?

SirSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2018, 22:33   #53174  |  Link
blu3wh0

So I spent some time testing the dynamic tone mapping on my LG B7 OLED and the latest pixel shaders for HDR in the test version 9 (with saturation boost +15, peak 750 nits, output in HDR, and measure peak). Overall, both the dynamic tone mapping and the pixel shader attempt to do the same thing, except for one key difference. The dynamic tone mapping appears to affect the whole image, while the shaders mostly impact only the highlights or sources of peak brightness. I'm not sure if this is the way it's supposed to work, but it's what I see. This is even more effective where working with a 4000 nit master, which the dynamic tone mapping helps with, but no where near as accurately as the shaders. An example of this is the bright green spear cut that is one of the test shots. For 1000 nit masters, the impact on the highlights between the two is very similar. I did see some instances of color tone changes with the shaders, but again I can't tell what was supposed to be correct in the image. Regardless, either would look normal if you didn't switch between passthough and shaders. I've only tested a few movies, but so far this is very promising and enough for now to try using the HDR pixel shaders for general usage.
blu3wh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2018, 23:04   #53175  |  Link
Anima123

Do you guys know since when madVR requires DirectX 11 for advanced dithering method? As I remembered, it does not have that requirement during the testing of Diffusion methods.
Anima123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2018, 23:06   #53176  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Okay. Does it matter that it is an old processor and old ram?
If you're using a dedicated gpu then that can matter for file decoding performance but not for madVR but it can depend on age and core count.

Quote:
All that Madvr needs is a good graphics card, right?
I used a gtx 960 for a good long time and it did well. I'd recommend anything similar or greater performance to get the most out of MadVR.

Quote:
Also, someone told me that the TV is better at scaling these resolutions to 4K, than Madvr
There are good quality scalers used today on the latest 4k tvs but nothing that can match madVR's NGU in real time built in to any consumer display or readily available device.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2018, 23:19   #53177  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
while you may not need that.
sending bt 2020 to a screen that is not bt 2020 is not ideal in my book. the screen needs to do heavy processing.

this is totally different if you run a screen in native mode and 3D LUT correct the image.

on projector it's an even bigger problem.
Hmm...my line of thinking is this: no display is natively BT.2020, even the ones with the widest of gamuts need to remap from native gamut to a stabdard gamut ...even plasmas were not strictly rec.709, they had wider gamuts than rec.709 natively, there is always a 3D LUT or some other processing involved to get the colors in place (especially if a display has user-accessible CMS system) and these things should be optimized to run without hickups in all circumstances...
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2018, 23:31   #53178  |  Link
blaubart

Quote:
Also, someone told me that the TV is better at scaling these resolutions to 4K, than Madvr, which is not the case, right?
"the TV", there are 1000 different TVs with 100 different scaling abilities. And which answer do you expect if you ask true madVR Fan's if any TV on ths world scales better then madVR
blaubart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 00:40   #53179  |  Link
HDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3wh0 View Post
So I spent some time testing the dynamic tone mapping on my LG B7 OLED and the latest pixel shaders for HDR in the test version 9 (with saturation boost +15, peak 750 nits, output in HDR, and measure peak). Overall, both the dynamic tone mapping and the pixel shader attempt to do the same thing, except for one key difference. The dynamic tone mapping appears to affect the whole image, while the shaders mostly impact only the highlights or sources of peak brightness. I'm not sure if this is the way it's supposed to work, but it's what I see. This is even more effective where working with a 4000 nit master, which the dynamic tone mapping helps with, but no where near as accurately as the shaders. An example of this is the bright green spear cut that is one of the test shots. For 1000 nit masters, the impact on the highlights between the two is very similar. I did see some instances of color tone changes with the shaders, but again I can't tell what was supposed to be correct in the image. Regardless, either would look normal if you didn't switch between passthough and shaders. I've only tested a few movies, but so far this is very promising and enough for now to try using the HDR pixel shaders for general usage.
I can't live without LG's "active HDR". It tries to mimic HDR10+/Dolby Vision by analyzing the whole scene and adjusting brightness and tone mapping per frame. I don't know if this is something madshi is working on or is even possible with madVR, but until/if this happens I'm sticking with LG's implementation.

It really helps with shadow detail in dark scenes. Often times madVR is simply too dark compared to LG with active HDR turned on.

You can use madVR for tone mapping and still turn on LG active HDR, but then you've got kind of a double tonemapping situation where the tv is trying to dynamically adjust brightness and highlights after madVR has already tone mapped. It doesn't quite look right IMO. Often times it will just make the highlights even darker.
HDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 00:55   #53180  |  Link
blaubart

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDR View Post
It really helps with shadow detail in dark scenes. Often times madVR is simply too dark compared to LG with active HDR turned on.
Switching HDR through Windows Display settings results here in madVR too dark black clipping. Since NV 416.34 madVR is able to switch HDR by himself again (Windows>Display settings>HDR off) - black/white clipping ok now.

Last edited by blaubart; 14th October 2018 at 01:01.
blaubart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling