Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd April 2019, 15:57   #1  |  Link
videobruce

FormatFactory; joining 2 mp4 files of the same movie

Two mp4 files that were converted from 2 DVD files (so not to add additional compression) using Handbrake, the vertical count is slightly different, off by 4 lines (710 & 706).

FormatFactory v4.6 won't 'join' them as is, they have to be 'converted'.

My questions are;
1. How can files from the same DVD and the same movie (The Seahawk if it matters) that was originally split using CloneDVD have different vertical resolutions?
2. That 4 line difference, isn't that close enough to do a merge without re-procession it again? One would figure that small difference would/could be compensated some how.

Last edited by videobruce; 4th April 2019 at 01:26. Reason: typo
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2019, 19:53   #2  |  Link
manono

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
2. That 4 line difference, isn't that close enough to do a merge without re-procession it again?
No. Why not join them before doing the reencode and conversion to MP4? Or not separate them to begin with, if that's what you did?
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2019, 01:25   #3  |  Link
videobruce

Why is that small line difference an issue? Can't the software compensate for that somehow?

AFA combining them first, there are still 2 conversions made either way.
As to the split DVD movies; simple, I didn't want to loos any additional quality with double layer DVD's by cramming those on a single layer DVD based on what CloneDVD showed for the amount of compression needed to fit. Not all were like that. I don't use that method any more, I just wished I knew what I did now or or would of switched over years ago.
Old 4th April 2019, 06:52   #4  |  Link
manono

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Can't the software compensate for that somehow?
Yes, by reencoding one or the other so the dimensions match. But I don't (and won't ever) use Handbrake. Joining videos can be a tricky business.
Quote:
AFA combining them first, there are still 2 conversions made either way.
No. Many programs will allow you to add as many VOBs as you like before doing the encoding. Or, you can join the VOBs first in something like MPEG2Cut2. No conversion. The result will be a single MPG file ready for reencoding.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2019, 14:25   #5  |  Link
videobruce

W/O going to far OT, if the resolution was left as is, isn't the only problem/concern is at the 'merge' (joint) point? As in a glitch just like mismatched video edits starting in the 80's using 3/4 U-Matic had well known 'edit' problems.

Interesting point about merging vob's first. I didn't think of that angle. But, coming from the same movie

Lastly, what's wrong with Handbrake?? Yours is the first really negative report of that program that I have read. You are saying that Handbrake caused the problem?
Old 4th April 2019, 14:27   #6  |  Link
videobruce

FWIW, I starting using FormatFactory which seems to be a solution after one gets use to the 'quirks' thou some of the settings are in question (being somewhat use to handbrake).

For others reading this, that program has been out for some time with frequent updates (last was within 2 week ago), but support & documentation is lacking, or non-existing.
Old 7th April 2019, 07:17   #7  |  Link
lansing

Standard DVD resolution is 720 x 480, I have no idea what you're talking about the videos being 710 and 706 pixel in height. What exactly did you do?
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2019, 11:13   #8  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

"Vertical count" may mean columns. 710 or 706 would be weird, but may be the result of manual cropping of nominal analogue blanking. They're mod 4, at least.
Old 7th April 2019, 11:43   #9  |  Link
videobruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansing View Post
Standard DVD resolution is 720 x 480, I have no idea what you're talking about the videos being 710 and 706 pixel in height. What exactly did you do?
You answered your own question. I didn't "do" anything. Apparently Handbrake did.