Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th November 2010, 08:16   #10341  |  Link
Adbear

I was wondering what the recommended version of Haali splitter is as I downloaded the one linked to in the first post, but the inspect program keeps telling me it's not the recommended version
Adbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 08:43   #10342  |  Link
MickJT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Ignore it. I've taken it out again.
And what about "FFMPEG Encoder". How is that used? Must you set ENCODER=1 and supply ffmpeg.exe? Is there any condition where the option is not greyed out?
Old 30th November 2010, 13:55   #10343  |  Link
haruntt

Thanks for sharing.
Old 30th November 2010, 14:55   #10344  |  Link
datman

problem with The Expendables

I did a movie only to BD-25 and all the extras are mixed in with the movie. I'm going to try a full backup and see.
Attached Files
File Type: txt bdrb error.txt (16.0 KB, 27 views)
datman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 15:38   #10345  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adbear View Post
I was wondering what the recommended version of Haali splitter is as I downloaded the one linked to in the first post, but the inspect program keeps telling me it's not the recommended version
Some HAALI versions fail to remove content from the "c:\program files\HAALI\MatroskaSplitter" folder, and it shows to BD-RB as the wrong version. You need to uninstall HAALI, then manually delete that folder and install the one from the first post of the Bug Reporting thread.
Old 30th November 2010, 15:39   #10346  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickJT View Post
And what about "FFMPEG Encoder". How is that used? Must you set ENCODER=1 and supply ffmpeg.exe? Is there any condition where the option is not greyed out?
It isn't, it's leftover from earlier plans. I was originally going to use multiple encoding options - but frankly nothing else even comes close to X264, so there's no point. FFMPEG would just use X264 code anyway.
Old 30th November 2010, 15:49   #10347  |  Link
Race Guy

Hey jdobbs!

Here's an FYI on how you're (mis?)calculating video size based on the available audio.

I did a BD-25 compilation of season 1 of my "Elvis Costello Spectacle" set. The original is 3 discs, with four 50 minute shows per disc. The shows have both DTS-HD MA & LPCM 2.0 audio tracks & 1080i vid.

To do the comp, I use multiAVCHD to add the individual titles "full size", build a menu & output a new "BluRay". Then I run that thru BD-RB to get it "to size". In my comp, I did 3 shows off disc 1, plus the four each off discs 2 & 3 for 11 total & I'm keeping only the DTS MA track.

For some reason, mAVCHD would not let me deselect the LPCM on the 3 shows from disc 1, so I built the comp that way, eps 1-3 with both audio tracks, eps 4-11 with only MA.

I load this new 50+GB "package" in BD-RB & deselect LPCM for eps 1-3 in the streams tab & start the rebuild. With that scenario, basically 11 identical titles, I should get nearly identical video bitrates for each, correct? But I DON'T! Titles 1-3 get around 4100ką & titles 4-11 get around 3100ką. I let it finish, do a test burn & it looks good & I can't really tell the diff between 4100k & 3100k visually, but since I have a 1090 Hex CPU that pounds these out, I decide to redo it.

I set my output target to exceed the project, deselect LPCM from the first 3 eps & let BD-RB remux it, stripping out the LPCM. Now I have the same project, minus LPCM & I start the rebuild. This time, I get all titles with similar bitrates of 3400ką. The question is, why didn't I get the 3400k rates on the first run?

BTW, that's 9+ HOURS of content, with the hi-rez sound, crammed on a 25 & it looks GREAT! I did it 2 pass at highest quality & it took 25 hours. Keep in mind that it was 1080i, so I think you take a speed hit on the 29.97fps vs 1080p/23.976fps.
Race Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 15:59   #10348  |  Link
jdobbs

I'm not sure I'm getting it. So what changed between the first and second run? Only the target size? What size did you use?

I'm not sure about "miscalculating" -- my encodes always come out at the size I expect.

The reason they may be different bitrates is because the bitrate is based upon the original bitrate... you'll probably find that the first three files have higher bitrates on the original as well. But I'll look at it and see if I can find anything. But any inaccuracies I've ever found all relate to inconsistent muxing (I have to estimate how big the output will be after muxing -- and the muxing isn't very consistent).

[Edit] I just remembered, the target size for an M2TS is based on the original size and then adjusted for reduction to fit on the target. So if the original was larger (because of the LPCM included), it's output allocation would be larger too... resulting in larger bitrate (because the LPCM is being removed).

Last edited by jdobbs; 30th November 2010 at 16:37.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 17:59   #10349  |  Link
Race Guy

Quote:
[Edit] I just remembered, the target size for an M2TS is based on the original size and then adjusted for reduction to fit on the target. So if the original was larger (because of the LPCM included), it's output allocation would be larger too... resulting in larger bitrate (because the LPCM is being removed).
There you go! That's the discrepancy. Run #1 had LPCM still in the 3 eps, run #2, the LPCM was stripped out.

Logically, if you ran the downsize calc after demux, I think you'd have much better "solution". The way it is now, the main M2TS with a lot of hi-rez sound is getting "over-downsized", while a big extra with say only one DD2.0 track is getting "under-downsized".

I've seen main titles with two DTS-HD MA plus all the other language tracks. I've also seen a couple of concerts with True HD and DTS-HD MA on the main title.

I'm not hip to writing code, so maybe it's not possible to pick up those numbers after demux???

See ya!
Old 30th November 2010, 18:05   #10350  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Guy View Post
There you go! That's the discrepancy. Run #1 had LPCM still in the 3 eps, run #2, the LPCM was stripped out.

Logically, if you ran the downsize calc after demux, I think you'd have much better "solution". The way it is now, the main M2TS with a lot of hi-rez sound is getting "over-downsized", while a big extra with say only one DD2.0 track is getting "under-downsized".

I've seen main titles with two DTS-HD MA plus all the other language tracks. I've also seen a couple of concerts with True HD and DTS-HD MA on the main title.

I'm not hip to writing code, so maybe it's not possible to pick up those numbers after demux???

See ya!
The problem is that in order for that to work you'd have to demux everything before starting -- adding a lot more time and disc requirements.

What you're saying isn't accurate. The space is allocated based upon the original disc's priorities. If a 2.0 track was used, sure, the size would be smaller -- but the allocation would be equal to the video of the original. The only time it would matter is if you have two sources that are of equal weight in which one had LPCM and another didn't, and you were removing it on one but not the other (because it was missing) -- that just doesn't happen unless the source is preprocessed (as is true in your case).

Quote:
I don't think I get the point. In this example the feature wouldn't suffer from all the languages... in fact if you didn't keep them all, it would get an improved bitrate because it also gets the bits from the removed languages. Either way, if it took up 60% of the available space on the original, it would also take up 60% of the available space on the target.

Last edited by jdobbs; 30th November 2010 at 18:12.
Old 30th November 2010, 18:18   #10351  |  Link
Race Guy

Quote:
I don't think I get the point. In this example the feature wouldn't suffer from all the languages... in fact if you didn't keep them all, it would get an improved bitrate because it also gets the bits from the removed languages. Either way, if it took up 60% of the available space on the original, it would also take up 60% of the available space on the target.
I get it now! I was looking at the "equation" back-asswards! Dumping sound leaves a "void" that gets filled by more video.
Old 30th November 2010, 18:54   #10352  |  Link
setarip_old

@datman
Quote:
problem with The Expendables
I did a movie only to BD-25 and all the extras are mixed in with the movie.
You likely accepted the BD-RB selection of the largest file - which, in this somewhat rare instance, is actually the "PIP Extras" video...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 19:05   #10353  |  Link
omegaman7

Quote:
Originally Posted by datman View Post
I did a movie only to BD-25 and all the extras are mixed in with the movie. I'm going to try a full backup and see.
Please don't misunderstand me, because I mean no ill-will. But why would you do that? X264 is a freak of a good encoder. I can understand backing up a main title to BD-9 or BD-5, but BD-25 can handle A LOT of video space. I'm talking hours and hours. If it were possible to burn AVCHD compliancy to BD-25, you could put 9-10hrs on it, and barely notice a difference. Unless you use a projector

I guess if you're after a quicker encode, then I understand. Myself, I prefer an exact backup.
omegaman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 23:40   #10354  |  Link
Denada

Needed to upgrade to 36.01 because the version I had in use was no longer useable.. tried to make a BD25 disc of Inception EUR bluray, set the encoder to highest (very slow). Noticing the audio does not match the video, seems to be a slight delay.. made a BD25 disc of Superbad after this, no problem. Upgraded to 36.04 and tried Inception again, same problem.. Did a bd25 of the other guys with 36.04, again no problem..

Kinda strange, anyone else having problems with Inception?
Denada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 23:48   #10355  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denada View Post
Needed to upgrade to 36.01 because the version I had in use was no longer useable.. tried to make a BD25 disc of Inception EUR bluray, set the encoder to highest (very slow). Noticing the audio does not match the video, seems to be a slight delay.. made a BD25 disc of Superbad after this, no problem. Upgraded to 36.04 and tried Inception again, same problem.. Did a bd25 of the other guys with 36.04, again no problem..

Kinda strange, anyone else having problems with Inception?
Inception hasn't been released in the U.S. I believe it is scheduled for release on the 7th of Dec.

Last edited by jdobbs; 1st December 2010 at 02:08.
Old 30th November 2010, 23:48   #10356  |  Link
omegaman7

Inception won't be out in the states til next week I've had audio sync issues due to bad optical drives(Bad rip). In my experience, it has only happened with Lite-on drives. I'm not happy about it either...
Old 1st December 2010, 00:01   #10357  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman7 View Post
Inception won't be out in the states til next week I've had audio sync issues due to bad optical drives(Bad rip). In my experience, it has only happened with Lite-on drives. I'm not happy about it either...
I have been using a Lite-On drive for ripping my Blu-rays for almost two years, and have never had a bad rip!
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 00:11   #10358  |  Link
omegaman7

Clearly, I simply have bad luck then LOL!
Old 1st December 2010, 01:18   #10359  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

Well inception is released in the EU BDRB processed my copy flawlessly AnyDVD + BDRB = killer combo
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 01:18   #10360  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
Some HAALI versions fail to remove content from the "c:\program files\HAALI\MatroskaSplitter" folder, and it shows to BD-RB as the wrong version. You need to uninstall HAALI, then manually delete that folder and install the one from the first post of the Bug Reporting thread.
I think this should be added to the BD-RB FAQ, since it does seem to come up alot!
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote