Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 20th December 2016, 06:51   #41621  |  Link
EncodedMango

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
Lower your settings. You're dropping way too many frames.
Huh, you're right, didn't notice but I think it might be due to other factors, pressed some hotkeys by accident so I'll retake another screenie of the same content to remove that possibility.
This rendering time issue is only happening in 10bit btw. 8 bit is normal(12-14ms) and very little dropped frames.

EDIT:
Another stats screen, took it after letting the content run a good 10 minutes, Smooth Motion off this time not really that different about 8ms difference but no abnormal framedrops so I'm uncertain what caused that

Last edited by EncodedMango; 20th December 2016 at 07:22.
EncodedMango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016, 08:14   #41622  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Reconstructing Chroma with a 10-bit file is too taxing on your GPU. Your render time should be lower than 41.71ms or you will lose sync and if it's much higher than that, then it will be a stuttering mess and finally a slideshow.

How does it perform with Jinc?
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016, 08:45   #41623  |  Link
Oguignant

Gradual noise reduction

Hi i found a solution to my problem of a lot of noise in old remastered movies. With ffdshow + blur & NR. Applying only a little gradual denoise (set to 40) gives a good result and the loss of quality is acceptable. Of all the options I tried, I think the best way to reduce noise in old movies.

I hope that it would be useful to someone.

Last edited by Oguignant; 20th December 2016 at 08:52.
Oguignant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016, 11:30   #41624  |  Link
WolframRhodium

There's a new downscaling algorithm presented in "Rapid, Detail-Preserving Image Downscaling", which seems to have better performance and result compared to SSIM.

Will it be in madvr's downscaler list in the future?

Last edited by WolframRhodium; 20th December 2016 at 11:35.
WolframRhodium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016, 15:45   #41625  |  Link
EncodedMango

Quote:
How does it perform with Jinc?
Jinc seems to have made no difference, same rendering times.
Old 20th December 2016, 17:38   #41626  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmein View Post
@sidspyker disable smooth motion can at least reduce 10 ms
I agree with this.

Smooth motion doesn't do much either way and can increase render times considerably when compared to having it turned off

For me on 2 different cards using Ordered vs Error Diffusion 2 didn't do much of a difference, about same render times, or likely the difference is in the order of 1-2ms, not ~10ms. GTX 970 is very strong, using Error Diffusion shouldn't pose a problem.

I noticed something. with the latest madVR and MPC-HC my CTRL+J screen OSD thingy flashes sometimes. I use it to compare different settings and it keeps flashing sometimes, like the subtitle flashing problem. How do we fix this, or is it a known bug?
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016, 18:31   #41627  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidspyker View Post
Jinc seems to have made no difference, same rendering times.
Are you using LAV filters? Have you enabled DXVA Copy Back?
Old 20th December 2016, 18:36   #41628  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
Smooth motion doesn't do much either way and can increase render times considerably when compared to having it turned off

For me on 2 different cards using Ordered vs Error Diffusion 2 didn't do much of a difference, about same render times, or likely the difference is in the order of 1-2ms, not ~10ms. GTX 970 is very strong, using Error Diffusion shouldn't pose a problem.
Smooth motion and dithering impact each other. ED dithering has a bigger performance hit when using smooth motion because there are a lot more frames that need dithering.

Smooth motion is very important when using a 60Hz display for anything but 30fps video.
Old 20th December 2016, 19:05   #41629  |  Link
Neo-XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Smooth motion and dithering impact each other. ED dithering has a bigger performance hit when using smooth motion because there are a lot more frames that need dithering.
For 1080p content on 1080p screen

Without SM : 24ms -> 25.5ms
With SM : 25.5ms -> 28ms

For 1080p content on 4K screen (upscaled by madVR)

Without SM : 23ms -> 27.5ms
With SM : 25.5ms -> 35ms

So yes, Smooth Motion has a fairly significant impact on performance with Error Diffusion 2 in 4K, and the 1-2ms difference is only for 1080p content on 1080p screen without SM.

Edit : The framerate of the source material was 23.976fps and the refresh rate of the screens 60Hz.

Last edited by Neo-XP; 20th December 2016 at 19:34.
Neo-XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016, 20:43   #41630  |  Link
StinDaWg

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
I have these resolutions set for madVR to switch to... 1080p23, 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p50, 1080p59, 1080p60

If I'm using ffdshow raw (for SVP) madVR always switches to 1080p23 if the source fps is 29.97 or 30. I do not have this issue when I'm not using ffdshow raw.

If I use the MPC-HC built in switcher with ffdshow raw instead of madVR it works fine.

Has anyone seen this happen before?

I would just use MPC-HC switcher, but it doesn't work properly with madVRs film mode deinterlace. It doesn't switch to 23 hz.
I see a lot of people using ffdshow with madVR in here. No one else has this issue?
StinDaWg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016, 22:10   #41631  |  Link
cork_OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
I see a lot of people using ffdshow with madVR in here. No one else has this issue?
I suppose madVR or MPC-HC sometimes can't correctly get framerate info from LAVfilters or another decoder/splitter when ffdshow raw is used. I've seen this when using SVP on some DVD videos.
Old 20th December 2016, 22:21   #41632  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_OS View Post
I suppose madVR or MPC-HC sometimes can't correctly get framerate info from LAVfilters or another decoder/splitter when ffdshow raw is used. I've seen this when using SVP on some DVD videos.
ffdshow always blocks all communication between LAV and madVR.
Old 20th December 2016, 22:42   #41633  |  Link
StinDaWg

So basically there is no workaround and I need to manually edit/delete resolutions in madVR every time I want to use SVP?
StinDaWg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016, 22:57   #41634  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
ffdshow always blocks all communication between LAV and madVR.
Still waiting for the day I don't need ffdshow raw any more. Having similar functionality built into madVR suppotring both Avisynth+/Vapoursynth would be great.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 01:15   #41635  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:

Smooth motion is very important when using a 60Hz display for anything but 30fps video.
My display is 75Hz from factory, and smooth motion has more impact and doesn't have much effect visually. Videos that are 24 fps or 23.xx will still look jumpy if the objects is moving across the screen and it's moving too fast.
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 01:53   #41636  |  Link
Asmodian

What you notice is simply low frame rate video but there is another issue caused by frame time mismatch.

With a 75 Hz display and 23.976 fps video each frame wants to be displayed for 41.71 ms but Vsync is every 13.3 ms. This means that most frames are displayed for 40 ms but every ~8 frames one frame is displayed for 53.3 ms. This isn't too bad, only 33% longer, you might not notice it but it isn't ideal.

The effect is worse at 60 Hz, with half the frames displayed for 33.3 ms and the other half displayed for 50 ms, 50% longer. This is quite visible (to me at least) as uneven choppiness or judder, even worse than normal low frame rate video.

Smooth motion allows madVR to display every frame for exactly 41.71ms.

edit: with 29.970 fps video on your 75 Hz display you get a similar effect to 23.976 fps video on a 60 Hz display. Half the frames are displayed for 26.67 ms and the other half for 40 ms, 50% longer.

Last edited by Asmodian; 21st December 2016 at 03:24. Reason: Added %s, fixed frequency
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 03:51   #41637  |  Link
EncodedMango

Quote:
Are you using LAV filters? Have you enabled DXVA Copy Back?
Yeah LAV. I'm using DXVA Native not copy-back. I have no clue if I should be using CB instead

Last edited by EncodedMango; 21st December 2016 at 04:00.
Old 21st December 2016, 04:03   #41638  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidspyker View Post
Yeah LAV. I'm using DXVA Native not copy-back. I have no clue if I should be using CB instead
DXVA 2 Native should NEVER be used with madvr.

Last edited by AngelGraves13; 21st December 2016 at 04:07.
Old 21st December 2016, 04:10   #41639  |  Link
EncodedMango

Quote:
Good to know, I was using CUVID until recently, switched to DXVA only recently to try out.
Old 21st December 2016, 11:05   #41640  |  Link
Kotik

Quote:
Is there a specific reason why CB is a better choice compared to Native?I notice people almost always prefer CB, i have been using Native myself and dont recall any issues. What are the advantages that CB offers?
Kotik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling