Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 9th June 2018, 13:48   #51261  |  Link
huhn

you play a 60 fps file at 30 hz and your rednertimes are way to high they need to be below 16 ms.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2018, 13:59   #51262  |  Link
Xaurus

Hey guys, been a while.

I am trying to setup a complete 10-bit 4:4:4 chain on my setup, to play HD and UHD with HDR on my LG B6 OLED TV.
I'm using Win 10 1803, madvr 92.14 and nightly LAV with last MPC-HC. Nvidia driver 385.28 for my GTX 1060, using a custom res for 23 Hz.

I have been following a kodi setup guide which has some of this stuff. But it seems something is wrong since when my TV switches to HDR mode (icon pops up and madvr shows NV HDR) I get green/magenta tint on the whole screen output, desktop as well as the video. I have to go to Nvidia control panel to change the refresh rate or resolution to get it "back to normal". This does not happen for normal SD/HD content.

Settings as follows:

TV:
I am using "PC" label for the HDMI input for the OLED and I've activated Deep Color on HDMI 1 (which is the one I use). Set to "High" to receive 0-255 signals.

Madvr 0.92.14:
PC levels 0-255
native display bitdepth set to 10-bit
disable calibration controls
switch to matching display mode 2160p23, 2160p25, 2160p29, 2160p30
let madvr decide for HDR (also tested with passthrough, same result)
use Direct3D 11 for presentation

Nvidia control panel:
12-bit output for all resolutions (10-bit is not an option, only 8 and 12), with RGB Full

LAV video:
D3D11 Hardware Decoder (automatic native)

Does anyone know of a complete guide how to get this right, in particular for LG OLEDS?

Thanks.

Last edited by Xaurus; 9th June 2018 at 14:02.
Xaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2018, 14:40   #51263  |  Link
COOLak

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
you play a 60 fps file at 30 hz and your rednertimes are way to high they need to be below 16 ms.
Forgive me my ignorance, but the data says that the file is 30hz and not 60. And how do I adjust my rendertimes?
COOLak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2018, 15:05   #51264  |  Link
huhn

the data says it is 30 before deinterlancing and deinterlancing is doubling the frame rate.

and about your rendertimes so i see nothing why it is so high i have no clue what type of hardware you are using.

smoothmotion at 30 hz with a 60 hz source my needs a lot of processing power but i never really checked that.
Old 9th June 2018, 15:58   #51265  |  Link
brazen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaurus View Post
I am using "PC" label for the HDMI input
Does anyone know of a complete guide how to get this right, in particular for LG OLEDS?

Thanks.
The complete guide says NOT to change your HDMI input to "PC". I guess this is a requirement on your LG. Samsung which I use, it isn't. I would also add 2160p24 as a resolution/rate madVR can switch to. Yours is missing. And if after you manually switch resolution/rate in NCP it fixes, then I guess it isn't auto switching. I assume adding the resolution/rate so it can switch would help provided that is the problem resolution/rate. I'd also try without the custom res. You might also try FSE vs windowed although that makes no difference on my panel. Lastly try BT709 with PPC at 2.20 passing through and sending metadata.

Last edited by brazen1; 9th June 2018 at 16:30.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2018, 15:59   #51266  |  Link
huhn

but he wants 4:4:4.
Old 9th June 2018, 17:19   #51267  |  Link
Warner306

For the green/magenta tint, try disabling HDMI Deep Color. It could also be the custom resolution. In fact, that seems most likely. The LG OLED shouldn't have an issue with receiving RGB 12-bit with HDR metadata. Some projectors add this tint when set to anything besides Y'CbCr. Either the GPU is outputting this tint or the TV is misinterpreting what it is receiving.

Asmodian says the gamut coverage in PC mode with LG OLEDs is poor compared to the video modes. This was measured with a colorimeter. It might be worth sacrificing 4:4:4 for better color representation.

I would also suggest trying another hardware decoder, but it shouldn't fix things by changing the resolution.

Last edited by Warner306; 9th June 2018 at 17:24.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2018, 19:21   #51268  |  Link
BluesFanUK

Three years on and i'm still having an issue with Full Screen Exclusive.

I just bought a new 32 Inch monitor (Acer BM320), 10 bit panel so I thought i'd give FSE a try again. On my very old 27 inch 4K screen it was such a hassel I ended up disabling it for good.

Still a mess. I'm using Potplayer with FSE enabled and FSE D3D11 in MadVR, issues:

- It takes several seconds to load a video
- Mass load of dropped frames whilst doing it (same when scrubbing through a video)
- No easy way to close the damn thing without clicking the escape button to window it, then close.

Have I done something wrong with my settings because to me for years it's felt like a completely pointless feature for the hassel is causes, yet it's the only one that allows 10 bit.
BluesFanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2018, 19:34   #51269  |  Link
foozoor

FSE should be dropped.
foozoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2018, 19:35   #51270  |  Link
Asmodian

FSE works great in Windows 8.1, it is Windows 10 that seems to have broken it.
Old 9th June 2018, 19:58   #51271  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesFanUK View Post
- It takes several seconds to load a video
the load times should be the same the biggest problem is that TV screen can take a long time to change there mode. it's so short on normal monitors hardly a thing.
Quote:
- Mass load of dropped frames whilst doing it (same when scrubbing through a video)
there should be not difference between windowed mode seeking or FSE seeking it is doing the same.
Quote:
- No easy way to close the damn thing without clicking the escape button to window it, then close.
not sure how dumb potplayer is but double click is the usual way to get out of it...
Old 9th June 2018, 23:22   #51272  |  Link
XTrojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by foozoor View Post
FSE should be dropped.
The issue with this is how does one watch 4k bluray videos with 10bit color? anything outside FSE has a limit of showing 8bit.
XTrojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2018, 23:38   #51273  |  Link
veggav

Ok after more testing I can finally show what I was talking about the "more washed out" picture from MadVR compared to my OPPO.

I did a small test here, output at 1080p23 and 2160p23.
When watching 1080p I had YPbPr 4:2:0 and 8bits.
When using 2160 I had RGB Full 12bits.

This movie has tons of grain and this is good to show what I can't explain in words.
Look at the tree in the middle of the screen, can you see those dark green squares? It seems like MadVR is adding too much noise to the picture. I don't know if that is calling banding or ringing or aliasing.

I would like to try something here, output 1080p content as raw as possible to my display for testing.
How can I do that?
Even outputing 1080p23 MadVR will upscale chroma.
Is there any other renderer that can do absolut no scalling just for some testing here?
veggav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2018, 00:53   #51274  |  Link
el Filou

You can't use a PC to output 4:2:2/4:2:0 from a source directly to a display because it's always converted to RGB at some point.
Old 10th June 2018, 05:19   #51275  |  Link
PimpUigi

Does anyone have a suggestion for the proper settings I should use for my Kuro Plasma TV's Film Mode (frame interpolation)
(such as if exclusive mode is better for that or not, or if present Vsync every frame should be disabled or? how many frames should be presented in advance? I'm just throwing paint at the wall; I have no idea.)

My TV has a Smooth setting (soap opera effect), and an Advanced setting (1080p24 interpolated to 72hz - gives very smooth camera panning without the Soap Opera effect)

When I use my bluray player with its 1080p24 mode, both of these modes work flawlessly (though I really only use Advanced for the 72hz interpolation of course)

However on my PC, things get wonky.
I have MadVR set to use 1080p23
My GTX1070 manages this just fine and I get less than 0.00% frame difference on a 23.976 video file.

However both Smooth and Advanced settings on my TV (connected via HDMI) result in spotty interpolation at best; if ever.
I can notice Smooth is semi-working, though it never results in a Soap Opera effect so I know it's not working correctly.

If I compare my Amazing Spider-man 2 blu ray to the 1080p MKV, or Batman 1989 blu ray vs 1080p MKV, the difference is evident and noticeable.

I'm not sure if it's nVidia Control Panel stuff I need to change, or MadVR stuff. I don't know where to go from here or maybe it's just impossible for my TV to do whatever processing it's supposed to do when coming from a PC/or Media Player Classic signal; strangely Amazon Prime video, that I play in my web browser seems to interpolate much more noticeably on 1080p23.
(also Dog Nmad, ufck these "random question"s)

Last edited by PimpUigi; 10th June 2018 at 05:39.
PimpUigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2018, 07:32   #51276  |  Link
huhn

it is not possible to send 4:2:0 at 23 hz with HDMI and it is not possible to sue it at 1080p at all. so it is not possible to send an BD image untouched.

it'S not even the same screen so there is nothing to really look at.
and what upscaler and settings are you using?
with out a source i woudl say the image is full of compression artifacts that are either amplified with enhanced image details or are there in the first place.
Old 10th June 2018, 09:14   #51277  |  Link
ryrynz

The only thing I can suggest to you is to never use Smooth Motion with any frame interpolation. You'll have to nut this out yourself..
In saying that ideally you want to create a custom mode that achieves no dropped frames on typical playback. It's likely that doing this will achieve the same results as blu-ray playback.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2018, 09:35   #51278  |  Link
PimpUigi

Definitely those are the two things I've figured out so far.
That and, that these forums questions are impossible to just google and get an answer for.
Just gotta wait until H.265 pops up as the answer.
PimpUigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2018, 12:32   #51279  |  Link
veggav

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
it is not possible to send 4:2:0 at 23 hz with HDMI and it is not possible to sue it at 1080p at all. so it is not possible to send an BD image untouched.

it'S not even the same screen so there is nothing to really look at.
and what upscaler and settings are you using?
with out a source i woudl say the image is full of compression artifacts that are either amplified with enhanced image details or are there in the first place.
I'm using heater settings from Asmodian thread: Madvr settings explained.
I typed it wrong. The 1080p23 image is 4:2:2. The lowest I could find.

I know those are not the same frames but you can see green blocks on the black background, right? Those are only present in the 2160p23 output.

Could this be related to something I was reading about dithering twice? I don't know how said something that you should not use 10bits on MadVR because you will be dithering twice or something?

Also, when outputing at 1080p23 the only thing I see is chroma beeing upscaled but I'm getting 18ms of rendering time?
This doesn't seem right with a 1080Ti. No dropped frames though.
veggav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2018, 12:40   #51280  |  Link
huhn

try default settings first.

and 4:2:2 is not working that way the image is RGB.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling