Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Closed Thread

Old 13th April 2018, 21:11   #1461  |  Link
Actionable Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm9656 View Post
As for Frame Sequence, I could not make it work properly, there are too few players out there able to play it correctly.
It worked for me using Plex client installed on the TV itself.
Old 17th April 2018, 23:09   #1462  |  Link
Relight

I use this great program for all of my 3D Blu-rays, with the MKV mode. Never had a problem until now.

I finally got a copy of Avatar that kind of seems to work, after trying 3 US copies I gave up and imported a UK copy.

Like the US copies, MakeMKV had no problem with creating a backup but ran into "trying to work around" issues when making the MKV. However, it did complete apparently successfully.

Watching the MKV out of MakeMKV, it seems okay and plays without problems. There is a subtitle track with both all subtitles and Na'vi subtitles, and a separate subtitle track for the forced-only Na'vi subtitles.

Now we get to BD3D2MK3D - it seems to work fine for the subtitle track with ALL subtitles, but it doesn't work for the forced-only Na'vi subtitles, which is what I want.

It completes the process and the resulting SBS MKV looks fine, but it gives errors during the process, which show that it fails the track containing the forced-only Na'vi subtitles.

I've attached the error message that popped up during the "Generating project" stage, as well as the log file. (The attachments are pending approval.)

Any help would be much appreciated!
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: txt BD3D2MK3D.txt (137.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 18th April 2018, 09:26   #1463  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

The Avatar subtitles are known to be problematic, probably because they are included two times (in the AVC and MVC M2TS files), and that confuses the demuxers. I'm not sure why it doesn't work with the MKV source, but it is possible to extract them properly from the (decrypted) BD. Anyway, if I remember correctly, there is only one subtitle stream for a specific language, and the Navi forced subtitles are simply included in the complete stream and tagged as forced. So, if BD3D2MK3D has properly demuxed the whole stream, you can normally simply extract the forced subtitles from the full stream, with BDSup2Sub. Just launch BDSup2Sub (with Subtitles Tools -> Open Subtitle Stream in BDSup2Sub), and export a new SUP file with the forced subtitles only. You can then use Subtitle Tools -> Convert Subtitles to 3D with the right 3D-Plane (see the 3D-Planes numbers in tab 1 of BD3D2MK3D - Do not trust tsMuxeR!). That works perfectly with the subtitles directly extracted from the (properly decrypted) original European BD. If that's not possible with the MKV created by MakeMKV, then there is a bug in MakeMKV, and you should contact its authors.
Old 20th April 2018, 12:36   #1464  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I see now the approved attached images. I can only tell you that the "index out of bounds" error happens usually when a stream is created, but it contains no subtitles at all, or just pointers to non-existing bitmaps. Therefore, I guess that MakeMKV has created a bad forced stream. Try to do what I have explained in my previous post. It should be easy to extract the forced subtitles from the full stream.

Since the first time I have converted Avatar, that was from the 3DBD, I've just converted it again, but this time I have decrypted it with MakeMKV and converted the 3D MKV, with the English and French subtitles, to verify if I can reproduce your problem. Everything went fine, including the forced subtitles. I may have another version than yours, but AFAIK, the current version of BD3D2MK3D has no problem with the subtitles. However, it includes 3 subtitles at the very beginning (up to 30 seconds in the movie) with a full-screen text "Please turn on your 3D glasses and put them on now". English subs 1475 to 1607 (from 2:36:43 to 2:41:40) are identical. They are the subtitles taken from the MVC M2TS. These subtitles are useless but are present only in the output streams with all subtitles. The forced streams are not affected. Unfortunately, BD3D2MK3D has no way to understand that these subtitles should be removed, and therefore they appear in the full stream. Of course, for a better result, it is better to remove them manually with BDSup2Sub, and remux the movie with __MUX_3D.cmd.

I don't remember if that strange subtitles were also present in the streams generated from the BD during my first encode of Avatar, but I remember that I have had many problems with the Avatar subtitles, and I've added some workarounds in BD3D2MK3D to be able to handle them. Currently, it seems that BD3D2MK3D can convert the streams successfully, but at least when converting the 3D MKV, it cannot avoid the "3D glasses" full-screen subtitles. IMO, it's the job of MakeMKV to try to export only the subtitles from the AVC M2TS and ignore the subtitles from the MVC M2TS. Since in the 3D MKV, they have been merged, BD3D2MK3D cannot distinguish them, and therefore cannot ignore them.

Anyway, on my side, I cannot do something to avoid your problems. You will have to create the forced stream manually.
Old 20th April 2018, 16:38   #1465  |  Link
Relight

Thanks for the step-by-step instructions! I have successfully used BDSup2Sub and then BD3D2MK3D's Convert Subtitle tool. Thanks!
Old 20th April 2018, 17:21   #1466  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

OK, so you can confirm that it is possible to extract the forced subs from the complete stream ? That confirm that MakeMKV has probably a bug, perhaps only with the "difficult" Avatar subtitles.
Old 20th April 2018, 22:43   #1467  |  Link
Relight

As you probably know, the way MakeMKV shows subtitles is as 1 track with a nested forced track. It then puts 2 subtitle tracks into the MKV file. If there are no forced subtitles, then of course it doesn't make a second track.

I took the path of least resistance and used BDSup2Sub with the already-extracted full subtitle track from the BD3D2MK3D working project directory (which BD3D2MK3D took from the original MakeMKV MKV file). From that full subtitle track, it successfully made me a new forced-only track - it had some errors (I think related to subtitle end times), but none were critical and I guess it fixed them. And then BD3D2MK3D successfully took that new forced-only track and made the 3D subtitle as sub/ipx, which again seemed the quickest path of least resistance for playback with MPV.

Only watched half the movie so far but everything seems to be working correctly.

I did see that "3d glasses" message in BDSup2Sub, but I never saw it when I started watching the movie.

When I have some more time I will look at muxing the new subtitles into my final SBS file.
Old 21st April 2018, 09:07   #1468  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

OK, thanks for the precisions.
Old 24th April 2018, 09:16   #1469  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D v1.7

This is an important version. The format of the input and output of the mkvtoolnix tools has radically changed in mkvtoolnix v20. Previously, it used a text format, relatively easy to parse and create. Since v20, that text format has been dropped and replaced by the JSON format. As a consequence, it was impossible to use the new version of mkvmerge with the __MUX_3D_OPTIONS.txt file produced by BD3D2MK3D. (Same thing for the two 2D versions.) And it was impossible to use the output of mkvinfo to analyse the content of the 3D MKV files created by MakeMKV. So, everything was broken, and especially the possibility to open a 3D MKV created by MakeMKV.

I have had to rewrite almost from scratch two parts of the program to make it compatible with mkvmerge and mkvinfo v20. Currently, it seems that the new BD3D2MK3D v1.7 works perfectly with mkvtoolnix v21 and v22, and should work also with future versions. (Note that mkvtoolnix v20 requires already the JSON format, but it doesn't support comments and therefore is not compatible with BD3D2MK3D v1.7.) Therefore, v1.7 is NOT compatible any more with mkvtoolnix v20 or lower. Also, although I have tested v1.7 as far as possible, I cannot be absolutely sure that the format change has not introduced new bugs. If, for any reason, you want to use v1.6 with the old mkvtoolnix exes, you can still download it here. Of course, you should preferably use the latest version, and report here if you find a bug.

This version fixes also two bugs (including an important bug introduced in v1.5), and I have added a tool to check any external audio file for Cinavia (requires the free CinDe Cinavia detector installed on your computer).

Quote:
v1.7 (April 24, 2018)
- Adapted the format of the _MUX_*_OPTIONS files to the new JSON input format necessary for MkvMerge v21+.
- Adapted the way the informations are retrieved from the input MKV due to the new JSON output of MkvInfo v21+.
- Bug introduced in v1.5: The complete 2D subtitle stream was muxed instead of the forced-only stream.
- Fix for new tool Combine two XMP/PNG Streams Together: The values in the <Description> section of the XML were sometimes wrong
- Added the option "Attach some project files as doc" to enable or disable the attachments in the final MKV.
- Added Tools -> Check an audio file for Cinavia (Requires CinDe.exe. See the Help menu.)
- Updated the MkvToolnix exes to the latest version (v22). ATTENTION: BD3D2MK3D REQUIRES now MkvMerge v21 or greater!
- Updated x264 to the latest version (v0.155.2901). x264 is now the same exe for 8 and 10-bit colour depth encoding.
- Updated x265 to the latest version (2.7+3)
Download latest version: BD3D2MK3D.7z

Last edited by r0lZ; 24th April 2018 at 09:30.
Old 4th May 2018, 18:56   #1470  |  Link
konikpolny

x264 exes

Hi r0lZ,
can I ask where you get your x264 exes from?
The ones at http://download.videolan.org/pub/vid...x264/binaries/ seem to be different from yours
Old 4th May 2018, 21:57   #1471  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

https://www.videohelp.com/software/x264-Encoder
There is a lot of different builds of x264 and x265, with different compilers and optimization options. It is not always easy to grab the best one, but currently, I trust VideoHelp. It links to download.videolan.org anyway.

BTW, you can easily open the download page of any external tool distributed with BD3D2MK3D with Help menu -> "[toolname] version".

Last edited by r0lZ; 4th May 2018 at 21:59.
Old 5th May 2018, 14:47   #1472  |  Link
konikpolny

Old 8th May 2018, 22:18   #1473  |  Link
Actionable Mango

I'm looking for troubleshooting advice. I imported the region locked Terminator 2 3D disc from the UK. I ran it through MakeMKV and BD3D2MK3D, then play back through Plex on the LG TV.

The problem I'm having is that the sound is wonky. Dialog and front L/R channels are very quiet and subdued. If I crank up the volume to compensate, I can hear what people are saying but there is very poor dynamic range. Almost everything sounds very damped and muted.

I say "almost" because on rare occasion there is a rear channel audio effect, and that sounds like it has normal dynamic range. And with the volume cranked way up, it is tremendously loud in relation to everything else.

So the opening battle scene in the Skynet future sounds like this:

Laser, laser, laser, gun, explosion, truck driving by, killer robots, REAR LASER BEHIND YOU, laser, laser, laser, gun, etc.

Because the disc is region locked, I cannot simply pop in the disc and see how it is natively. I did look up a review of this UK disc just to see if there was any mention of poor audio mastering, but audio actually gets high marks.

I've read before that certain HD or lossless audio types are not really supported by one or more tools in my process, and also not supported by my TV's audio return channel (ARC) to the receiver. So I tried BD3D2MK3D's audio conversion option to AAC 5.1, which I know is supported by Plex on my TV (in fact Plex even shows an AAC logo for the ripped title).

But, converted to AAC 5.1 it sounds exactly the same to me, with exactly the same problems. And the theory doesn't make much sense because other titles with HD/lossless audio sound great, or at the very least they sound adequate.

FWIW, I'm having the same or similar problem with my Dredd 3D disc rip, but other titles seem fine. I cannot figure out the difference between Dredd/Terminator 2 and all of my other 3D rips.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Actionable Mango; 8th May 2018 at 22:20.
Old 8th May 2018, 23:25   #1474  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Hum, it's the first time I hear about that problem.

Have you tried to mux the original audio (without any conversion to AAC or AC3)? You don't tell what format it is, but normally, BD3D2MK3D is able to just mux it without conversion or channel remapping. If the problem persists, then it's probably your audio decoder or the ARC that has a problem.

Anyway, I have never encountered that problem, and I can't help much more.
Old 9th May 2018, 09:49   #1475  |  Link
tebasuna51

Conversion between audio formats only can produce volume changes if:

1) There are a downmix between number of channels 7.1 -> 5.1 -> 2.0
Do you listen the audio with only stereo speakers?
To avoid the problem maybe you need another downmix instead the default.

2) There are differences between decoders in your audio chain.
Try muxing the original audio like r0lZ say.
Old 9th May 2018, 15:40   #1476  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
Because the disc is region locked, I cannot simply pop in the disc and see how it is natively.
Maybe it's in the ripping. You can try to rip the bluray to your hardrive with AnyDVD HD and than check the audio channels. AnyDVD HD will decrypt your BD and can remove region codes also.
You can download a free trial version here:
https://www.redfox.bz/en/anydvdhd.html

Last edited by von Suppé; 9th May 2018 at 15:43.
Old 9th May 2018, 18:02   #1477  |  Link
Actionable Mango

Thanks everyone, I am grateful to see people trying to help me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
Have you tried to mux the original audio (without any conversion to AAC or AC3)? You don't tell what format it is, but normally, BD3D2MK3D is able to just mux it without conversion or channel remapping. If the problem persists, then it's probably your audio decoder or the ARC that has a problem.
Yes, I originally ran BD3D2MK3D leaving all the streams alone (at default) like I usually do. I only ran it again a second time with AAC 5.1 conversion in BD3D2MK3D because of the bad results from the first run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
1) There are a downmix between number of channels 7.1 -> 5.1 -> 2.0
Do you listen the audio with only stereo speakers?

2) There are differences between decoders in your audio chain.
Try muxing the original audio like r0lZ say.
Thanks for some ideas.

1) The English sound track on the disc is DTS-HDMA 5.1 and I have 5.1 system.

2) I think that's definitely true of the AAC, but I did try the original audio first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post
Maybe it's in the ripping. You can try to rip the bluray to your hardrive with AnyDVD HD and than check the audio channels. AnyDVD HD will decrypt your BD and can remove region codes also.
You can download a free trial version here:
https://www.redfox.bz/en/anydvdhd.html
Thanks for that I will give this a try this weekend.
Old 10th May 2018, 08:58   #1478  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post
Maybe it's in the ripping.
I don't think so. The ripping can fail, but normally, it has no way to change the volume of some channels only within an audio track. As far as I know, nothing is modified during the decrypting and demux processes.
Anyway, I agree that doing a test with AnyDVD worth it.
Old 10th May 2018, 09:08   #1479  |  Link
von Suppé

Normally both AnyDVD and MakeMKV do a perfect job. I think highly of both.
Though, I do remember having issues with one (of both of them) where the other tool helped me out.
Old 26th May 2018, 08:37   #1480  |  Link
Ant Man

Hello, rOIZ...

First, let me say how much I appreciate your work on this program and your dedication to the community of folks who use and enjoy it!

I have been using BD3D2MK3D for a couple of years and have never had any problems getting it to work until now. After I downloaded version 1.7 I've been getting the error message: "H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC) encoder has stopped working". This happens when I try to run BD3D2MK3D on an MVC 3D file created by MakeMKV. Can you offer any suggestions about things I may be doing wrong to cause this to happen?

Thank you very much.

Ant Man
Closed Thread