Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 11th March 2020, 18:48   #1481  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
There ain't, next build increases the processing dialog width from 45 to 46, I hope that this fixes it.
I see. Thanks for the reply.

BTW, I think you forgot to mention that mkvtoolnix has been updated to 44.0.0 in 2.0.7.7 Beta.

-------------------------

And here's my questions:

1) Can't I change the default player in StaxRip from mpv.net to the Windows default player or something else?
I admit that mpv.net is a very powerful player, but sometimes I miss more convenient functions from other players.
2) In Preview, the Tools > External Player menu launches mpv.net (StaxRip default player) but doesn't seem to automatically open the video file in it.
Old 11th March 2020, 19:52   #1482  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Can't I change the default player in StaxRip from mpv.net to the Windows default player or something else?
I admit that mpv.net is a very powerful player, but sometimes I miss more convenient functions from other players.
Which features do you miss in mpv.net? In the code editor and in the preview there is mpv and mpc support, you have to reset or config the preview menu, you don't see it in the menu because it was added after your settings were created. The old function uses internally the new function, I just tried it and it worked, maybe you use a vapoursynth script, the current libmpv build from shinchiro doesn't have vapoursynth enabled, I will have to create my own libmpv build which I will do when mpv.net development continues, very soon.
Old 11th March 2020, 21:21   #1483  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

Quote:
Which features do you miss in mpv.net?
AFAIK, there's no way I can zoom in/out a video to a specific level like 50%, 100%, 150%, etc. or arbitrarily in mpv.net.
I'm not talking about 'fit to screen' or 'pan & scan'. I just want to zoom in/out a video based on its original resolution, not on the screen size.
(Fix me if I'm wrong.)
And mpv.net autofits a video based on its setting, but I'd like to view a video in its original resolution when it starts playing.

Besides, I can't seek a video based on the subtitle lines in mpv.net. By contrast, in PotPlayer (my default player), I can press Home or End button to seek to the previous/next subtitle line. I miss this function a lot.

Quote:
In the code editor and in the preview there is mpv and mpc support, you have to reset or config the preview menu, you don't see it in the menu because it was added after your settings were created.
Thanks for the advice. (Sorry about my ignorance.)
Per your advice, I reset the Preview menus along with the overall menus (Tools > Edit Menu > Reset Everything).
Now the right click menu in Preview seems up to date:

However, the problem of not loading the avs script in mpv.net still exists. (I tried both 5.4.3.0 and 5.4.4.0 of mpv.net.)
On the other hand, 'Play with MPC' launches MPC-BE and plays the avs script very well.
But with VS, neither works (as you pointed out, maybe.)

What am I missing?
Old 11th March 2020, 21:45   #1484  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKyle View Post
However, the problem of not loading the avs script in mpv.net still exists. (I tried both 5.4.3.0 and 5.4.4.0 of mpv.net.)
On the other hand, 'Play with MPC' launches MPC-BE and plays the avs script very well.
Well, I finally figured out what was the problem: non-English/European-language filename.

The filename was in Korean, and the temp path automatically includes this Korean letter in it. This seems to prevent mpv.net from opening the avs script in the temp folder.

At this point, I raise this question: why can't mpv.net play an avs script in a non-English/European-language path whereas MPC-BE can?

I guess this is a bug in mpv.net and please fix this in the next version.

Old 12th March 2020, 03:55   #1485  |  Link
stax76

@JKyle

I've bookmarked the post on mpv.net.

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the text encoding bug, generally avisynth does not support Unicode, because of that staxrip will show an error instead of loading the file, ANSII works here. I'm German, and we have three characters called Umlaute (ä ö ü), I've tried a file with the name of my favorite animal Eisbär (Polar bear) and mpv.net loads Eisbär_play.avs fine, please try if mpv opens an avs file with Korean characters:

mpv.exe "좋은 하루.avs"

Please also try to open the original mkv/mp4 file with mpv.net.

I hope it's not my bug because I would have to change my regional setting (risky?) or I would have to set up a VM.

Please show your system settings.

Code:
Desktop> Get-Culture

LCID             Name             DisplayName
----             ----             -----------
1031             de-DE            German (Germany)

Desktop> Get-WinSystemLocale

1033             en-US            English (United States)

Desktop> [Text.Encoding]::Default

IsSingleByte      : True
BodyName          : iso-8859-1
EncodingName      : Western European (Windows)
HeaderName        : Windows-1252
WebName           : Windows-1252
WindowsCodePage   : 1252
IsBrowserDisplay  : True
IsBrowserSave     : True
IsMailNewsDisplay : True
IsMailNewsSave    : True
EncoderFallback   : System.Text.InternalEncoderBestFitFallback
DecoderFallback   : System.Text.InternalDecoderBestFitFallback
IsReadOnly        : True
CodePage          : 1252
Old 12th March 2020, 05:07   #1486  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

Quote:
Please try if mpv opens an avs file with Korean characters.
Please also try to open the original mkv/mp4 file with mpv.net.
The thing is, if an avs file is named in English and placed in a path that doesn't include any Korean letters, mpv.net opens the file very well, which is quite natural.
(And video files, of course.)
Even if some of the letters in the path are in Korean, mpv.net successfully plays a video file in that path regardless of whether the filename is in English or Korean (via right click).
However, as for avs files, if any of the folder names in the path or the filename is in Korean, mpv.net fails to load (via right click) the avs file.

On the other hand, MPC-BE and MPC-HC successfully open the same avs file in the same path (via right click).

Here's the code of the avs file that causes the problem in mpv.net:

Code:
LoadPlugin("D:\Utilities\StaxRip\Apps\Plugins\Dual\L-SMASH-Works\LSMASHSource.dll")
LSMASHVideoSource("D:\Work\temp\테스트 영상.mp4")
#AssumeFPS(25)
Trim(1847, 6347)
The text in the avs file is encoded in ANSI.
Its name is "테스트 영상_new.avs" (Korean letters in the filename) and it is located in this path (Korean letters in the path):
Code:
D:\Work\temp\테스트 영상_temp\
("테스트 영상" means "test video" in Korean.)

Even if I move this avs file to the same folder where the video file("테스트 영상.mp4") is located("D:\Work\temp")(no Korean letters in the path), mpv.net still fails to open it.

But if I change the filename to "Test Video.avs" (no Korean letters in the filename along with no Korean letters in the path), mpv.net now successfully opens the avs file even if there's Korean letters in the avs file itself.

Quote:
Please show your system settings.
Here it is:

Code:
PS D:\Work> Get-Culture

PS D:\Work> Get-WinSystemLocale

1042             ko-KR            Korean (Korea)

PS D:\Work> [Text.Encoding]::Default

BodyName          : ks_c_5601-1987
EncodingName      : Korean
HeaderName        : ks_c_5601-1987
WebName           : ks_c_5601-1987
WindowsCodePage   : 949
IsBrowserDisplay  : True
IsBrowserSave     : True
IsMailNewsDisplay : True
IsMailNewsSave    : True
IsSingleByte      : False
EncoderFallback   : System.Text.InternalEncoderBestFitFallback
DecoderFallback   : System.Text.InternalDecoderBestFitFallback
IsReadOnly        : True
CodePage          : 949

Last edited by JKyle; 12th March 2020 at 05:51.
Old 12th March 2020, 14:18   #1487  |  Link
stax76

Please run this:

Code:
Desktop> Get-Culture; Get-UICulture; Get-WinSystemLocale; Get-WinDefaultInputMethodOverride; [Text.Encoding]::Default | select EncodingName,CodePage

InputMethodTip : 0407:00000407
Description    : German (Germany) - German

EncodingName : Korean
CodePage     : 949
I can reproduce that mpv.net can't open the avs file with this culture settings but not any other player can open it either! Not mpv, not mpc-be, not mpc-hc, if mpv cannot open it than I can only file a bug report. Please try mpv, drag the Korean avs file on the mpv UI or use powershell, if you are not familiar with it, you can use absolute paths like so:

Code:
& 'absolute path to mpv.exe' 'absolute path to avs file'
Or use the crappy old cmd interpreter like so:

Code:
"absolute path to mpv.exe" "absolute path to avs file"
Not sure what the problem could be, we'll see, staxrip and virtualdub2 can open the Korean avs file, for mpc the reason why it works for you and not for me could be usage of different filters, in the mpc-be context menu choose 'Copy filters list to clipboard' while the Korean avs file is successfully loaded, show the list. A screenshot collection would help to replicate your environment exactly, right now it looks like a bug in mpv but it reports ffmpeg/demuxer as error source, I've tried ffmpeg -i and that works.

In mpc-be I get this filters for avs:

Code:
MPC-BE 1.5.4.4969
Filters currently loaded:
  - Default DirectSound Device
  - Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter)
  - Audio Switcher
  - LAV Video Decoder
  - MPC Audio Decoder
  - LAV Splitter Source
  - MPC MP4/MOV Source
This is the error I get from mpv:

I open files with mpc-be using Open with++ but I also tried with drag and drop, neither works.

Last edited by stax76; 12th March 2020 at 14:27.
Old 12th March 2020, 19:32   #1488  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

@Stax

I get the following results. Almost the same as yours except that my MPC-HC and MPC-BE can open a Korean named avs file in a Korean named path.
I'm attaching my test result.

[Environment Variables in PowerShell]
Code:
PS D:\Work\tmp> Get-Culture; Get-UICulture; Get-WinSystemLocale; Get-WinDefaultInputMethodOverride; [Text.Encoding]::Default | select EncodingName,CodePage

InputMethodTip : 0412:{A028AE76-01B1-46C2-99C4-ACD9858AE02F}{B5FE1F02-D5F2-4445-9C03-C568F23C99A1}
Description    : Korean (Korea) - Microsoft IME

EncodingName : Korean
CodePage     : 949
[AVS file path\name]
Code:
D:\Work\tmp\테스트 영상_temp\테스트 영상_new_play.avs
[AVS file content: encoded in ANSI]
Code:
LoadPlugin("D:\Utilities\StaxRip\Apps\Plugins\Dual\L-SMASH-Works\LSMASHSource.dll")
LSMASHVideoSource("D:\Work\tmp\테스트 영상.mp4")
#AssumeFPS(25)
[Run mpv in Powershell: mpv-x86_64-20200308-git-28ea1ed, Portable]
Code:
PS D:\Work\tmp> & 'D:\Utilities\mpv\mpv.exe' 'D:\Work\tmp\테스트 영상_temp\테스트 영상_new_play.avs'
PS D:\Work\tmp>
=> returns to prompt without any response

So I registered mpv in the user PATH environment variable and moved the cwd to the Korean named folder.
I ran mpv in Powershell again this time with a different command line.

Code:
PS D:\Work\tmp\테스트 영상_temp> mpv '.\테스트 영상_new_play.avs'
[ffmpeg/demuxer] avisynth: Import: couldn't open "D:\Work\tmp\�׽�Ʈ ����_temp\??? ??_new_play"
[lavf] avformat_open_input() failed
[ffmpeg/demuxer] avisynth: Import: couldn't open "D:\Work\tmp\�׽�Ʈ ����_temp\??? ??_new_play"
[lavf] avformat_open_input() failed
Failed to recognize file format.
Same result as yours. I suspect both mpv and avisynth are responsible for failing to parsing the path/name.
Or maybe PowerShell cannot transfer the path\filename in the correct text encoding that ffmpeg can recognize (UTF-8 or whatever).
Just in case, I changed the codepage of PowerShell to 65001(UTF-8) but I get the same error.

I tried mpv.net(5.4.4.0, Portable) instead, but I get the same results. (No wonder... )

This time I open the same Korean named avs file (in the Korean named path) successfully in both MPC-HC(installed) and MPC-BE(portable).

Here's the filter info:

[MPC-HC (Nightly, 64-bit, 1.9.1.34 (a771140f7)), Installed]
Code:
  - madVR
  - AVI/WAV File Source
[MPC-BE (64-bit, 1.5.4 (build 4969)), Portable]
Code:
MPC-BE 1.5.4.4969
  - MPC Video Renderer (external)
  - AVI/WAV File Source
Well, I know AviSynth+ doesn't support UTF-8 encoded avs files, but I didn't know it doesn't support non-English filenames either.
Or is it a bug embedded in mpv?

And my impression with PowerShell (or Windows) is that the codepage inconsistency (UTF-8 vs localized ANSI) makes a lot of problems.
With the default localized ANSI, PowerShell can't parse unicode(UTF-8) error messages from FFmpeg correctly.
When I change the codepage to UTF-8(65001), this time PowerShell doesn't allow me to type in Korean letters.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your precious time and concern.
I hope we can find a fix for this problem.

Last edited by JKyle; 12th March 2020 at 20:08.
Old 12th March 2020, 20:43   #1489  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

@Stax

For your reference, I screen-recorded my test: right-click to open a Korean named avs file in a Korean named folder.

https://youtu.be/PzMYhZYDBqs

As you can see, all my players except mpv.net/mpv can open this avs file.

(Since madVR cannot be recorded in my screen recording app, I skipped it, but MPC-HC with madVR certainly opens the file.)
Old 12th March 2020, 20:47   #1490  |  Link
Spunkmeyer

I have managed to resolve the VS errors I was getting, seems it didn't like the beta versions of VS or Python.

Keep up the good work Stax.
Old 12th March 2020, 21:05   #1491  |  Link
stax76

@JKyle

Looks like a bug in mpv, I've just reported it here:

https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/7522

For mpc we simply have different settings resulting in different source filters used.

Thank you for the tests and detailed info!

Last edited by stax76; 12th March 2020 at 21:11.
Old 12th March 2020, 22:36   #1492  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

Quote:
Looks like a bug in mpv, I've just reported it here:

https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/7522
Thanks a million. But your issue was closed by one of the mpv maintainers, wm4.

Well, it looks obvious that mpv developers are not interested in making mpv play avs/vs files correctly.

So for this reason plus others, I'd like to ask you if you could add an option in StaxRip to change the default player (source or target right-click > play) to some other players or add PotPlayer in the Apps menu.

(The default binary path to PotPlayer 64bit is C:\Program Files\DAUM\PotPlayer\PotPlayerMini64.exe)

Yes, it is my personal desire, and if you think it is too much, you can just ignore it.

Old 12th March 2020, 23:36   #1493  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Thanks a million. But your issue was closed by one of the mpv maintainers, wm4.

Well, it looks obvious that mpv developers are not interested in making mpv play avs/vs files correctly.
I think he is the lead dev and from the same country as me but likely uses Linux as primary OS like most mpv devs so it's understandable that he has little interest in this issue. There are some Windows devs for instance Rossy, maybe I can fix it if nobody else does.

Quote:
So for this reason plus others, I'd like to ask you if you could add an option in StaxRip to change the default player (source or target right-click > play) to some other players or add PotPlayer in the Apps menu.
I've only limited amount of respect for mpc and hardly any for potplayer as it's not open source but uses open source code and adware. So far I think staxrip passes time position, aspect ratio, subtitles and audio tracks via command line to mpv and next builds will also pass color info, almost nothing of this can be achieved with any other player, they hardly ever helped me with anything, they can't even play my files, only mpv can play my 4K 50 fps HDR files with my low end GT 1030card.

https://mpv.io/manual/master/#video-...colormatrix%3E

Last edited by stax76; 12th March 2020 at 23:40.
Old 13th March 2020, 01:51   #1494  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

Quote:
Maybe I can fix it if nobody else does.
I'd appreciate it if you do so.

Quote:
I've only limited amount of respect for mpc and hardly any for potplayer as it's not open source but uses open source code and adware. ...only mpv can play my 4K 50 fps HDR files with my low end GT 1030card.
I see. Thanks, and keep it up!
Old 13th March 2020, 15:39   #1495  |  Link
stax76

@JKyle

It's not solved but there is a very interesting workaround, changing the default code page of the OS to UTF-8, this will enable full Unicode support for AviSynth, it's working and hopefully does not break other things, I've enabled it and hope for the best.

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...39#post1903639
Old 13th March 2020, 22:10   #1496  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

Quote:
It's not solved but there is a very interesting workaround, changing the default code page of the OS to UTF-8, this will enable full Unicode support for AviSynth, it's working and hopefully does not break other things, I've enabled it and hope for the best.

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...39#post1903639
You mean this, right?

Yes, you're right. This setting enables non-single-byte language named avs files to be played in mpv/mpv.net. I'm really happy to see that. I appreciate your advice.

However, there's one catch: Korean input via Korean IME does not work well in some 32-bit (maybe?) apps. XYplorer, my favorite file management app, is a typical example. I know this is a bug in those apps, so I'm gonna report to the developers about this.

Meanwhile, I'll be sticking to your solution. Thanks again.
Old 14th March 2020, 02:21   #1497  |  Link
stax76

A new stable release 2.0.8.0 is now available.

It features fast rendering in the preview and crop dialog and many small detail improvements.

Thanks to Patman and everybody else for helping with updates and builds, testing and reporting issues.

I'll be working a little on mpv.net and some other project next and hope being able to write documentation for staxrip sometime this or next year.

Changelog:

https://github.com/staxrip/staxrip/b...r/Changelog.md

Download:

https://github.com/staxrip/staxrip/releases

Last edited by stax76; 14th March 2020 at 02:24.
Old 14th March 2020, 05:52   #1498  |  Link
craigpro

Thank you stax76!
Old 14th March 2020, 05:54   #1499  |  Link
Atlantis

Thank you for the new version.
I tested and 2.0.8.0 is slightly faster than 2.0.6.0 when encoding using x265.
Old 14th March 2020, 11:27   #1500  |  Link
DavidRyan

Thanks for all your work on the new version.
Closed Thread

Tags
aac, hdr, hevc, nvenc, staxrip, x264, x265