Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 14th November 2012, 02:14   #481  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
Hi RandomEngy.

I like to have VidCoder "Play sound on completion" when encoding files.

I'm not really keen on the default supplied, so for a while I have been putting put my own .wav in the Program Files folder (renaming it "Encode_Complete.wav" so that it plays).

This works great but after installing a new version of VidCoder, the .wav I chose is overwritten with your default sound.

Would it be possible to add a browse button for the default sound and have this remembered after an update install?

Thanks.
Heh. That sound was a result of searching through hundreds of sounds and picking the least terrible one. If you've got a better one I'd consider it for default. I'll also put the ability to customize the sound on the backlog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAStebbins View Post
Just wanted to add my $0.02 to this discussion. If you are planning on eliminating the advanced panel, then you probably shouldn't have a "none" option for preset. "none" for tune seems like an obvious "yes". And I'm strongly in favor of an "auto" setting for profile and level since very few users will have any clue what to set these to.

Personally, I will continue to use the advanced panel for my own settings. I could munge a combination of preset and extra options to do what I want, but the advanced panel is far easier to use for my particular preferences.

If I were new to using x264, I would find the preset/tune/profile/level/options to be a great learning tool. But it's only helpful if you can see the end result option string (which will show in the advanced panel of HandBrake). Admittedly, the number of people that *want* to learn more is going to be small. But since the advanced tab already exists and noobs are under no compulsion to even look at it, I consider it worthy of keeping.
Hmm, okay. If I can get all the standard stuff moved over to the Video tab, bringing the advanced panel back makes more sense. It will be a place that only the brave will venture to.
RandomEngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 16:46   #482  |  Link
mike20021969

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomEngy View Post
I'll also put the ability to customize the sound on the backlog.
Great. (The one I currently replace your's with is AVG's scan_finish_threat_found.wav. It may be copyrighted and/or would require permission to use it in VidCoder. On the other hand, it's possible it might be royalty free).

Quote:
If I can get all the standard stuff moved over to the Video tab, bringing the advanced panel back makes more sense. It will be a place that only the brave will venture to.

Last edited by mike20021969; 14th November 2012 at 16:48.
mike20021969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 16:43   #483  |  Link
mike20021969

Quote:
Originally Posted by jq963152 View Post
It's about how VidCoder looks with Luna theme compared to Aero theme
In case it's relevant, I'm using Windows XP with the Silver "Colour scheme".
Old 16th November 2012, 17:07   #484  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

I actually designed it under the Aero theme, I never meant for that bar to stand out; that's just an accident of how the themes look on other operating systems.
Old 17th November 2012, 17:54   #485  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

Not really to me. The UI comes too close to the command bar; the Aero theme gives better margins on the buttons. Though it might look okay if the command bar extended all the way across the top and there was a bit more room. What particularly do you like about the coloring on that one?
Old 18th November 2012, 22:47   #486  |  Link
mike20021969

Also in the Audio section, this needs changing too

Old 19th November 2012, 03:57   #487  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

Quote:
Bug report(s):

The Bitrate drop-down list in the VidCoder Audio panel always is offering bitrates of up to 1536 Kbps, even though some Audio Codecs usually don't support 1536 Kbps.

For MP3 for example, the maximum the Bitrate drop-down list should offer should be 320 Kbps.

The standard HandBrake GUI apparently does not have this bug.
Their bitrate choices are all dynamically created based on what file has been loaded, so they're always "correct" (except when a file hasn't been loaded yet).

I have a little tougher time since I try to display all bitrates that are valid for any source file (so as to not mess up someone's preset when they load the wrong file). I can still do something here; I'll code in some limits that I know exist, like for MP3 and AC3.

Quote:
And something else:

In the Audio panel:

Please rename "AAC (faac)" to "AAC (FAAC)".

Please rename "AAC (ffmpeg)" to "AAC (Libav)".

Please rename "MP3 (lame)" to "MP3 (LAME)".

Please rename "AC3 (ffmpeg)" to "AC3 (Libav)".

In the Video panel:

Please rename "MPEG-2 (FFmpeg)" to "MPEG-2 (Libav)".

Please rename "MPEG-4 (FFmpeg)" to "MPEG-4 (Libav)".

All tested with VidCoder 1.4.5 Beta (x64).
Alright. Those all appear to be accurate changes. I'll make them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
Also in the Audio section, this needs changing too

Ahh, a casualty of my extracting everything to string resources. I'll get that fixed up.
Old 19th November 2012, 04:04   #488  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

Quote:
A suggestion/question:

Please take a look at those pictures over there:

https://reviews.handbrake.fr/r/280/s/20/

Do you notice how there is a "Toggle Presets" button in the upper right corner of the Main Window of the HandBrake MacGUI which apparently makes the Preset list pop in and out of the right side of the main window?

Do you think you could do something like that with the Encoder Settings in VidCoder as well?

Or with other words: would there be any chance you could implement such a "Toggle Encoding Settings" button for the VidCoder Main Window, which, if pressed, would make the Encoding Settings pop out of the bottom or the right side of the Main Window and make them go inside the Main Window again if pressed again, similar to how the Preset List is looking in the HandBrake MacGUI and maybe with a nice animation while popping in and out?

If yes: that would be appreciated .

If no: would there be any chance you could at least make the Encoding Settings Window dockable to the Main Window, so it could be attached to the Main Window and would move together with the Main Window?

Thank you very much in advance.
No. The expandable tray is a native Mac GUI thing and it's a bit weird for Windows.

As far as docking, I've had vague plans to allow you to drag around the helper windows and do nicer things with them but WPF doesn't give you very much to work with. There's some solutions to do "docking" ala Visual Studio but those are a problem because VidCoder windows have minimum sizes and the docking systems I've seen don't support that. I don't think anything is going to happen with this anytime soon unless some great solution with no downsides comes up.
Old 19th November 2012, 18:35   #489  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

Released VidCoder 1.4.6 Beta.

* Brought back the x264 advanced options panel due to popular demand. Thank you for all the feedback.
* x264 Preset/Profile/Tune/Level has been moved back to the Video tab, along with a copy of the "extra options" string.
* Added Fast Decode and Zero Latency checkboxes to support multiple Tunes.
* Added cropping option "None".
* Audio bitrates that are incompatible with the encoder (such as MP3 > 320 kbps) are no longer preset on the list.

* Fixed crash on opening VidCoder after de-selecting "remember locations".
* Fixed problem with some H.264 levels getting incorrectly grayed out.
* Fixed problem where preview picture dimensions could "drift" when in Strict or Loose Anamorphic mode.
* Fixed "Video Codec" label in the audio tab.
* Renamed ffmpeg to Libav in encoder names to better reflect the library they're coming from, and improved capitalization of encoder libraries.

Last edited by RandomEngy; 19th November 2012 at 18:41.
Old 19th November 2012, 20:18   #490  |  Link
mike20021969

Quote:

* Brought back the x264 advanced options panel due to popular demand.
* Fixed "Video Codec" label in the audio tab.
Old 20th November 2012, 02:50   #491  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

Quote:
Awesome. Although it looks quite crowded now.

But here is a suggestion/an example for how you could make it look less crowded:

At the moment the quality settings on the Video panel look like this:

Code:
O Target Size (MB)	[Value]
O Avg Bitrate (kbps)	[Value]
O Constant Quality	[Value]
——————————————————————————————[]——————————————————————————————
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
High quality                                       Low quality
[] 2-pass encoding
  []Turbo first pass

What do you think about changing it to this for example:

Code:
O Const. Quality (CRF)	[Value]
HQ ———————————————————————————[]—————————————————————————— LQ

O Avg Bitrate (kbps)	[Value]		[] 2-pass encoding
O Target Size (MB)	[Value]		  [] Turbo first pass

?

That would save a lot of space and would make it look less crowded IMHO . Also, "Const. Quality (CRF)" should be at the top and "Target Size (MB)" at the bottom IMHO .

Those dashes "——————————————[]——————————————" in those "Code" boxes above are supposed to portray the CRF slider by the way .

The visual "steps" which currently reside under the CRF slider (and which are portrayed as "||||||||||" in the first "Code" box), probably could be removed as well to save some more space and to make it look even less crowded (as illustrated in the second "Code" box).
I like having the phrases "High quality" and "Low quality" on the UI because they are descriptive and helpful, whereas HQ and LQ are less friendly acronyms. The quality slider may be the most important thing the average user will interact with and I want to make it a nice experience. Similarly I like the tick marks because they give the user an immediate sense of how finely-grained the slider is and they can tell how broad a movement they will need to make to get changes or how likely it is that they will be able to put the slider back in the same spot they left it. Plus if you cut the tick marks you only save like 3 pixels.

It is a little bit crowded, but I think that is mostly from the logical "areas" of the panel running together (Framerate, Quality, Passes, x264 options). I moved the controls around a bit and I think this is a bit nicer:

Quote:
Also:

The value boxes for "Avg Bitrate (kbps)" and "Target Size (MB)" should not disappear when "Const. Quality (CRF)" is selected. They should only be greyed out IMHO.

And the CRF slider and CRF value box should not disappear when "Avg Bitrate (kbps)" or "Target Size (MB)" are selected. They should only be greyed out IMHO.

It's done like that in the standard HandBrake GUI (things only get greyed out there, they don't disappear), and it looks and "feels" better that way IMHO.
One of the things I don't like about HandBrake is the large amount of controls that sit around grayed out. If they're not relevant to you at the moment they're just visual noise. It's only helpful to have them present and disabled if it gives you information you don't already have. Do you need to know what the average bitrate would start at if you selected it? I'm not sure that's the case here.

Quote:
Also:

At the moment, the "Target Size (MB)" and "Constant Quality" value boxes have two clickable buttons to adjust the value. The "Avg Bitrate (kbps)" value box however does not have those buttons.

Please add those two buttons to the "Avg Bitrate (kbps)" value box as well for the purpose of consistency.
I like it better when neither the target size nor bitrate have the buttons. They aren't fields that I think would benefit too much from them, most of the edits are just going to be someone typing a number in.

Quote:
Also:

It would be nice if you could also bring back titles for the three Video panel categorations, namely: "Video", "Quality" and "x264".

Maybe you could achieve that with the aforementioned space saving measures ?
There's no room and as mentioned before your space saving measures have other usability downsides.

Quote:
And maybe also by somewhat reducing the height of the "More Settings" box if necessary?

You also have this blue "Input" bubble on the Video panel.

You probably could also save some more space by removing the "Type:" and "Codec:" rows from this bubble for example?

Those two rows do not necessarily show any valuable information IMHO. Especially the "Type:" row. It only shows "Type: File" (definitely a waste of space IMHO).

So, the "Codec:" and "Framerate:" rows or even the "Framerate:" row alone would probably be sufficient, don't you think ?
Reducing the "More Settings" box doesn't help since it's below the preset slider anyway.

The "Type" tells you DVD/Blu-ray/File. And we're not crunched for space in that column, so eliminating it wouldn't help.
Old 20th November 2012, 05:51   #492  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

Quote:

What ?

If you would reduce the height of the "More Settings" box so that it's bottom would not overcome the bottom of the H.264 Level drop-down list, then of course that would save some space, wouldn't it ?

Because then you could move all of the new x264 controls a bit lower on the Video panel ?

It's the same in the LinGUI picture over there:

https://reviews.handbrake.fr/r/370/s/30/

The bottom of the "More Settings" box is lined up with the bottom of the H.264 Level drop-down list in that picture.

In VidCoder 1.4.6 Beta it's not lined up. The bottom of the "More Settings" box is exceeding the bottom of the H.264 Level drop-down list. If you would reduce the height of the "More Settings" box and would make it line up with the H.264 Level drop-down list, then that in turn would free up some space because it would allow to move all the new x264 controls a bit lower on the Video panel .
That's because that box is flexible: it gets bigger when you make the window bigger. But yeah I see what you mean about the space down there. Going to redo the grids there and make it less wonky.

Quote:
Then why don't you make the "2-pass Encoding" and "Turbo first Pass" checkboxes disappear as well when "Constant Quality" is selected ?
Not a bad idea.

Quote:
Ohh, the command bar ("Presetname / Save / Save As... / Rename / Delete / (Revert)") now looks much better with the Aero theme in that picture .

Will that be in the next update ?
Yes. And here's another sneak peak at the next version:

Not happy with having to go to 2 rows for the controls but maybe I can do something about that later.

Quote:
And, regarding the controls:

Well, the "2-pass Encoding" and "Turbo first Pass" checkboxes should not be positioned below the CRF slider IMHO. They do not belong there IMHO. They are related to "Avg Bitrate (kbps)" and "Target Size (MB)", not to CRF.

Why don't you put them at the right side next to "Avg Bitrate (kbps)" and "Target Size (MB)" like it was illustrated in that second "Code" box ? That would save a lot of space.

Example:

Code:
O Target Size (MB)	[Value]		[] 2-pass Encoding	
O Avg Bitrate (kbps)	[Value]		  []Turbo first Pass
O Constant Quality	[Value]
—————————————————————————————[]—————————————————————————————
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
High quality                                     Low quality

But, well, all up to you of course .
Another good idea.

Here it is post-rejiggering:

Quote:
PS:

Just noticed:

The new "High 4:4:4 Predictive" entry in the H.264 Profile drop-down list does not fit into the drop-down list when selected.

It widens the H.264 Profile drop-down list and makes the two x264 Tune checkboxes and the "More Settings" box move to the right when selected.

The x264 Tune, H.264 Profile and H.264 Level drop-down lists also seem to be unnecessarily wide. The only entry that would require them to be this wide or even wider (see above) would be "High 4:4:4 Predictive".

Looks like there also would be an abbrevation:

"Hi444PP"

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Profiles

Just saying.
I don't think I'll use that. I'm okay with the box getting a bit bigger on that choice because I don't think it will be very common. The UI is flexible; it can handle it.
Old 20th November 2012, 20:58   #493  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

Quote:
Question:

VidCoder 1.4.6 Beta (x64) has an "Auto" entry in it's Audio Bitrate drop-down list.

HandBrake-svn5071_x86_64-Win_GUI however does not have an "Auto" entry in it's Audio Bitrate drop-down list.

How does the "Auto" setting in VidCoder work?
LibHB has a function called hb_get_default_audio_bitrate that I use.

Quote:
And:

For "MP3 (LAME)" and "Vorbis (Vorbis)", VidCoder also allows to configure the Audio Quality instead of the Audio Bitrate. But it allows to configure the quality value in 0.5 steps. Is that even possible with LAME and Vorbis? Not quite sure, but shouldn't the steps actually be in 1.0 steps?
The granularity of these settings is something that I read out of the HandBrake library. I do not know for certain whether or not they're correct.

Quote:
And, actually, after thinking about it again: what would the "High 4:4:4 Predictive" entry on the H.264 Profile drop-down list even be useful for at the moment ?

When the H.264 Profile drop-down list is set to "Automatic", that will make x264 encode with High 4:4:4 Predictive Profile anyway when CRF 0 is selected .

Therefore the "High 4:4:4 Predictive" entry on the H.264 Profile drop-down list might be a bit redundant at the moment ?

"High 4:4:4 Predictive" should rather not be in the drop-down list at the moment IMHO.

It looks like "Rodeo" hasn't added it to the drop-down list in his MacGUI patch either for aforementioned reasons, see:

https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic...118365#p118365

But up to you of course.
I'm going to leave it there since it's a profile that might sometimes be applied to encoded videos.

Quote:
By the way, are you still thinking about this:

It would definitely be appreciated.

Or have you already decided against it?
Decided against, for now after reading the HB team's take on the issue.

Quote:
Bug report:

This one is a bit strange:

Adjusting sliders in VidCoder 1.4.6 Beta (x64) results in HDD starting to seek, even when no source file has been loaded .

It doesn't matter what slider and what panel. It happens with any panel and with any slider.

As soon as the slider starts to move, the HDD starts to seek. When the slider is stopped, the HDD usually stops to seek. But if you move a slider really quickly from one side to the other and back and forth and back and forth... a few times, the HDD starts to seek like mad over a long period of time, even after the slider has been put in a fixed position again .

This happend with versions prior to 1.4.6 Beta (x64) as well .

And it does not happen with HandBrake-svn5071_x86_64-Win_GUI .

Well, is there anything you can do about that ?
The hard drive seeking is not a bug to be fixed, it's just something your computer does. But yes you do get hard drive activity when you make any setting change because VidCoder automatically saves everything. If you are fiddling with something and the app crashes or your computer turns off, it will come back in exactly that way when you start up the program again.

The large amount of activity that continues for a while after moving the slider is something I can deal with. Currently it's just saving the settings in the background every time a change is made but I can make it so that if multiple changes come in while one operation is completing only the latest one will actually run. That will probably result in a lot less useless hard disk activity when you move sliders about or hold down the buttons on a number box.

Quote:
Bug report:

There appears to be a GUI bug with the new "None" cropping option.

The "None" cropping option appears to work just fine on encoding, but:

As you know, the "Automatic" cropping option is set by default.

Now when you load a source file which HandBrake/VidCoder decides needs to be cropped automatically, then the green "Output" bubble on the Picture panel shows what the resolution is after automatic cropping.

All fine up to that point.

But if you then select the "None" cropping option, the resolution in the green "Output" bubble remains untouched. It still shows the same values as if the "Automatic" cropping option would be selected (although it is not selected).

However, as mentioned already, the "None" cropping option still seems to work just fine on encoding.

So it apparently is "just" a bug with the GUI (the green "Output" bubble is not following the "None" cropping option).

Still, would be nice if you could fix that .

PS:

Looks like it's the same with the "Custom" cropping option.

If you have switched from "Automatic" to "None", then the "Custom: Top / Right / Bottom / Left" values are set to "0" (zero), and if you then switch from "None" to "Custom", it will still show zero but the green "Output" bubble still shows the resolution values as if "Automatic" would be selected.

In short it probably could be described as: the values in the green "Output" bubble on the Picture panel are not updating correctly as they should according to the selected cropping option.

Well, you probably will understand better if you take a look at it yourself. Something seems to be broken there .

PPS: Tested with VidCoder 1.4.6 Beta (x64) and Anamorphic ---> Strict.
I see it; it should fixed in next version. Was a regression when I added the "None" cropping option.

Quote:
Bug report:

Just noticed:

The Advanced panel of VidCoder 1.4.6 Beta (x64) is differing from the Advanced panel of HandBrake-svn5071_x86_64-Win_GUI in the following regard:

The "Partition Type" drop-down list in the Advanced panel of HandBrake-svn5071_x86_64-Win_GUI has the following entries:

The "Partition Type" drop-down list in the Advanced panel of VidCoder 1.4.6 Beta (x64) however has the following entries:

Not sure though if VidCoder 1.4.6 Beta (x64) is at fault or if HandBrake-svn5071_x86_64-Win_GUI is at fault.
The advanced panel is just something I try to keep up to date with HandBrake. I bet it's just a recent change I haven't done yet. I'll make the update.

Quote:
Feature request:

Please add a checkbox under Tools ---> Options... ---> Advanced to make it possible to deactivate and activate the Advanced x264 settings panel.

Deactivated = Advanced panel removed from Encoding Settings Window
Activated = Advanced panel not removed from Encoding Settings Window

Should the Advanced panel be deactivated by default or should it be activated by default? Well, you decide .

Voting for having it deactivated by default though. That would definitely be appreciated.

Those who are in dire need of the Advanced panel and have whined about it's absence in 1.4.5 Beta could just go to Tools ---> Options... ---> Advanced and activate it via that checkbox IMHO. That would probably be an acceptable and "easy-peasy" step for those users if they are that advanced...

That way you also would make clear that you don't want the Advanced panel but at the same time would grant your users the choice to activate it if they really want to.

But, anyway, wether you make it deactivated by default or activated by default, having such a checkbox would be nice either way.

Therefore, please add it .
Well I still think that most people are going to be fine never touching an advanced option, but I think this arrangement accommodates these users just fine. They're on the Video tab and they've got everything they need to make good x264 encodes. Presets, profiles, tunes, levels and a box with some fiddly settings they don't need to care about. The settings that matter are there in the forefront and all the settings that they probably shouldn't do anything with are off in a tab labeled "Advanced". It's a conscious decision at that point to go over there and mess with things. I think these factors alone should be enough to keep most casual people from twiddling with them or feeling like they need to twiddle with them.

Given that, there's really no reason to have an option to turn it off. It's just a tab that doesn't get in your way if you don't use it. Maintenance isn't too bad since I've got a good system to let me easily tweak the choices and automatically construct the options string from them.

Quote:
And:

Please add a checkbox under Tools ---> Options... ---> Advanced (or General) to make it possible to disable and enable the VidCoder splash screen on VidCoder start-up.
Impossible. The splash screen appears even before the .NET Runtime has loaded. If I used a different splash screen type, it would take longer to show up and mostly defeat the purpose of it.

Quote:
And:

Please add a "Help ---> Check for Updates" entry to the menu bar of the Main Window (HandBrake-svn5071_x86_64-Win_GUI has such an entry in the menu bar as well).
VidCoder checks for updates when starting up and prompts you to install them when closing. You don't need to do any checking yourself. The reason HandBrake has this option is that its update system is worse and you need to install updates for it on your own.

I suppose I could add the feature as a security blanket but it's not very high on my priority list.

Quote:
And:

If you don't mind then :

Please rename the "None" entry in the x264 Tune drop-down list to "None (Default)".

Please rename the "Automatic" entry in the H.264 Profile drop-down list to "Auto (Default)".

Please rename the "Automatic" entry in the H.264 Level drop-down list to "Auto (Default)".

That would be more consistent with the x264 Preset slider having "Medium (Default)".

Also every single drop-down list in the Advanced panel has "(Default)" written behind it's default setting as well.

So it would be appreciated if you could do it for the x264 Tune, H.264 Profile and H.264 Level drop-down lists as well.

Thank you very much in advance.
I've added (Default) to settings where it's not clear what the default is. It should be clear that "Automatic" or "None" are safe defaults when they are at the top of the list. Adding on the (Default) qualifier in this case just bloats the text and makes it less scannable.

This shows that you shouldn't thank people in advance because they might not do what you're asking!
Old 20th November 2012, 23:04   #494  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

I've got a new wiki page up describing how to translate VidCoder to another language. Looking for volunteers, particularly for Spanish and German. Had one guy but he's been missing for weeks now.
Old 21st November 2012, 01:11   #495  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

Quote:
The question/request arose, because, the way it's done in 1.4.6 Beta still is a bit "halfhearted" IMHO, especially if you do not plan to remove the Advanced panel in the long term.

Because, in no way do the "basic" x264 settings on the Video panel interact with the advanced x264 settings on the Advanced panel and vice versa. That somehow feels a bit "halfhearted".

The HandBrake GUI developers seem to think a bit further regarding that, read the following quote for example:

That's why the x264 Preset slider in their LinGUI picture also has an additional "Custom" entry for example, see:

Can you do something like that with VidCoder GUI as well? Making the "basic" x264 settings on the Video panel interact more with the advanced x264 settings on the Advanced panel and vice versa?
hb_x264_param_unparse was added in a checkin after the big title->job refactoring. I'll need to update the interop to handle those changes before I can do any more work with the advanced settings.

Quote:
Ah, okay, that's basically just fine as well. Looks like that "Menu Bar ---> Help ---> Check for Updates" feature basically already is available but just located at "Tools ---> Options... ---> General".

Although, that "Version X has finished downloading and will install on exit" notification could be a bit more prominent and remain visible a little longer IMHO... It automatically disappears after just a few seconds...

Maybe make it a little bit more prominent and disappear only when the user has affirmed it?
The message stays in the log and pops up a dialog box when the program is closed. I think it's fine.

Quote:
Could you possibly elaborate what you mean with that?
By "security blanket" I mean something that makes you feel better but doesn't really help solve anything.
Old 21st November 2012, 21:07   #496  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

About adding controls to the Advanced panel, I'm a bit tired of poking controls around to make room. Why don't you submit a patch for fitting those VBV controls in? But please, no abbreviations.

Quote:
Bug report:

Please just read the following thread over there:

https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25837

In VidCoder 1.4.6 Beta (x64), all the advanced x264 controls are displayed on the Advanced panel, even when "MPEG-4 (Libav)" or "MPEG-2 (Libav)" are selected on the Video panel.

In the standard HandBrake WinGUI that is not the case. In the standard HandBrake WinGUI the advanced x264 controls disappear from the Advanced panel when Video Codecs other than "H.264 (x264)" are selected on the Video panel.

Only a big text box (called "Advanced Query") remains on the Advanced panel in such a case in the standard HandBrake WinGUI.
I'll fix that for next version.
Old 21st November 2012, 21:26   #497  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

Released VidCoder 1.4.7 Beta:

* Added view modes to the Preview window. Now you can see the image in 1:1 or in "Corners" mode to show a close-up of cropping results.
* Added the ability to set a custom completion sound.
* Gave the encoding settings command bar a more distinctive background color and extended it to the whole width of the window. Added the preview button to the command bar.
* Rearranged UI in Video tab and added back the section headers.
* Added the "Most" choice for the advanced x264 analysis option.
* Updated HandBrake core to SVN 5071.

* Fixed excessive hard disk activity when quickly changing encoding settings by moving a slider or holding down a number box button.
* Fixed cropping output not updating when switching cropping modes (regression in 1.4.6).
Old 22nd November 2012, 01:06   #498  |  Link
mike20021969

Quote:
* Added view modes to the Preview window. Now you can see the image in 1:1 or in "Corners" mode to show a close-up of cropping results.
This is a great feature.
Quote:
* Added the ability to set a custom completion sound.
Many thanks for this
Old 22nd November 2012, 17:21   #499  |  Link
fantasmanegro

@RandomEnergy

can you put some pictures of the Gui in First Post
fantasmanegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 19:13   #500  |  Link
RandomEngy
VidCoder Author

Released VidCoder 1.4.8 Beta:

* Fixed encode failures when including chapter markers (Regression in 1.4.7).