Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 3rd March 2018, 00:10   #1  |  Link
Grojm

“full chroma interpolation” and “full chroma input” in ffmpeg?

What do the options “full chroma interpolation” and “full chroma input” do in video scaling?

In ffmpeg, there are options full_chroma_int and full_chroma_inp that can be passed to the video scaling filter. These options are sometimes present in command line examples for the resizing filter, such as in FFmpeg Wiki: Scaling.

The documentation just describes these options as "Enable full chroma interpolation." and "Select full chroma input." respectively. However, it is not clear to me what these options are for and how they affect quality or encoding time.

Does anyone have an intuitive explanation and/or a rule of thumb when to use these options?
Grojm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018, 13:00   #2  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

I think these options directly map to the flags of the "swscale" library, i.e. the software scaling library used by FFmpeg:

from swscale.h:
Code:
//internal chrominance subsampling info
#define SWS_FULL_CHR_H_INT    0x2000
//input subsampling info
#define SWS_FULL_CHR_H_INP    0x4000
To my understanding, this is about chroma subsampling. So, the SWS_FULL_CHR_H_INP flag would indicate that the input has "full" chroma resolution (YUV 4:4:4), whereas the absence of the flag would indicate chroma sub-sampling (e.g. YUV 4:2:2 or YUV 4:2:0). At the same time, the SWS_FULL_CHR_H_INT seems to indicate the chroma resolution that libswscale uses internally.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 3rd March 2018 at 13:05.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote