Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > PC Hard & Software

Old 20th May 2020, 23:28   #1  |  Link
lazostat

Do i need a media player or my pc does better job?

I have a ryzen 3600 with evga gtx 2070s. I also have a samsung 46" tv and when i want to see movies i connect via HDMI. I use WPC-HC with MADVr. I want to ask if a dedicated media player can give me something more or it's not necessary.
lazostat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2020, 01:43   #2  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

No dedicated media player will outperform MadVR, period.

At least, not unless you need something special like Dolby Vision playback.

I generally recommend a quality set-top box for streaming playback. These will get software updates more often than the TV, and will thus be secure / useful for much longer. They're also easily replaced.

Here's how I think about deciding which box to use:

- For non-tech folks / those who really prefer simplicity Roku is the only option. I find the UI more akin to a 20 year old cable box, and have had the unpleasant experience of having to dev on this platform, so I prefer not to use Roku

- If you're in the Apple ecosystem, Apple TV 4K is a fantastic option. This is my choice, and it also does a fantastic job of playing back Dolby Vision.

- If you're not in the Apple ecosystem, the Amazon FireTV devices are quite good. The nVidia Shield is pretty awesome as far as Android TV goes, though it's a lot more spendy.

In all cases hard-wire the device to your Internet connection if at all possible. Powerline network adapters are quite good these days

Last edited by Blue_MiSfit; 21st May 2020 at 01:45.
Blue_MiSfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2020, 09:46   #3  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit View Post
No dedicated media player will outperform MadVR, period.
Errr... :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit View Post
At least, not unless you need something special like Dolby Vision playback.
Now that's correct.
And not just because it's a different format but because DV uses completely different rendering engine in the display device than the manufacturer's HDR10/HDR10+ implementation. So it can happen that the same display device looks different (=better) with DV (like LG Oleds).
Old 21st May 2020, 19:24   #4  |  Link
lazostat

Yeah, when i am asking about media player, i mean an external tv-box. But if i buy a tv-box i won't have mad vr, right? Or can i connect the tv box to pc and tv at the same time? I thought they can read only from usb.
lazostat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2020, 04:34   #5  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Right, an external media player can not use MadVR.

Quote:
And not just because it's a different format but because DV uses completely different rendering engine in the display device than the manufacturer's HDR10/HDR10+ implementation. So it can happen that the same display device looks different (=better) with DV (like LG Oleds).
Yep. I've done extensive testing as part of implementing Dolby Vision on different devices for streaming services. It does produce dramatically better results than HDR10 on older LG OLEDs like the B6. The benefit is less on higher end current OLEDs, but the difference is actually even bigger on cheaper TVs that do totally bananas things when tone mapping aggressive 2k - 4k nit HDR10 presentations to a 700 nit display

Even setting aside tone mapping, the ridiculously bad rendering pipelines of a lot of TVs are bypassed in Dolby Vision at least to some extent, avoiding some unnecessary RGB <-> YCbCr, subsampling, and bit depth conversions. This ends up being at least theoretically capable of avoiding some banding. It also sometimes in practice means MORE banding since encoders often need tuning to not produce banding with the "IPT in YCbCr" space that Dolby Vision profile 5 uses when encoded into HEVC.
Blue_MiSfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2021, 08:00   #6  |  Link
julianwelch.mail

Hello. The VLC media player is best for you. I am using VLC for the last 10 years. But, there is one issue of the VLC media player suffering many users. That is, sometimes it crashes on Windows10. Otherwise, VLC is the best media player for everyone. If you are facing VLC crashing issue, then you can follow the link. Hopefully, you will be benefitted.
julianwelch.mail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2022, 19:54   #7  |  Link
BombiAlana
I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianwelch.mail View Post
Hello. The VLC media player is best for you. I am using VLC for the last 10 years. But, there is one issue of the VLC media player suffering many users. That is, sometimes it crashes on Windows10. Otherwise, VLC is the best media player for everyone. If you are facing VLC crashing issue, then you can follow the link. Hopefully, you will be benefitted.https://seriale.best
I agree with you. I also recommend it.

Last edited by BombiAlana; 19th January 2022 at 15:52.
BombiAlana is offline   Reply With Quote