Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 25th October 2004, 08:17   #21  |  Link
lamer_de

Quote:
only thing I can say about anime sources is that it makes lines super huge.
Huh, you sure you're not confusing this script with fastlinedarken()? Haven't encountered a broadening of lines in the anime I encoded.

(oversharpened, just to show the sharpening effect)

CU,
lamer_de

Last edited by lamer_de; 25th October 2004 at 08:22.
lamer_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2004, 16:43   #22  |  Link
Soulhunter
Bored...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChronoCross

only thing I can say about anime sources is that it makes lines super huge.
@ Didée

Nope, I havent sent ChronoCross LimitedDarken...

Bye

Visit my IRC channel
Soulhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2004, 17:34   #23  |  Link
Didée

PSSSSST - secret!

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2004, 17:41   #24  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

*hears a strange noise, comes into this thread to investigate*
Old 25th October 2004, 23:35   #25  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

I was using it on Rurouni kenshin Episode 1 and near the end of the episode during the main fight scene the lines in kenshins hair become much bigger than the original.

To counter this I use Fastlinedarken() to shrink the lines back to their original size which points back to

Quote:
only thing I can say about anime sources is that it makes lines super huge. easily countered with a line thinning script.
FastlineDarken() is what I was referring to when I said line
thinning script. =) Hopes this clarifies things.

I love limitedsharpen() on anime sources is because it works better than awarpsharp() without the side effects. Thanks again for such a kickass script.

Anyone want to contribute to the ChronoCross needs a new PC fund? lol
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2004, 00:43   #26  |  Link
malkion

Didee, just finished pass 1 of a non-resized 720x480 Kill Bill v2 using a custom matrix. Just gosta say, beau-ti-ful!

mpeg2source("e:\project\bill2.d2v",cpu=0,idct=3)
converttoyuy2()
pixiedust(2)
converttoyv12()
limitedsharpen()
colormatrix()
dctfilter(1,1,1,1,1,1,.5,0)

smode=3 also yields the lowest file size compared to smode=1 or smode=2.

I gave up on multiple calls of limitedsharpen with smode=1 on resolution @ 1280x720, since end file sizes ended up higher than a dvd's storage capacity.

Much obliged for a very nice function.
malkion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2004, 14:53   #27  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

ChronoCross: have you tried LimitedSharpen(ss_x=2.0,ss_y=2.0,Smode=2) instead of LimitedSharpen()? Does it make lines bigger as well?
Chainmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2004, 20:45   #28  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

nope. that's just the 2x ssxsharpen speedy version. it doesn't porduce the bigger lines but it's not as good IMO at sharpening as didee's special Sharpening Function.
Old 26th October 2004, 21:42   #29  |  Link
MrTibs

I'm trying the filter but AVS is reporting "there is no function named yv12lutxy". I have Masktools loaded. Any ideas?

Here's the line it is compainning about:

Quote:
minmaxavg = special==false
\ ? yv12lutxy(bright_limit,dark_limit,yexpr="x y + 2 /")
\ : maskedmerge(dark_limit,bright_limit,tmp,Y=3,U=-128,V=-128,useMMX=true)

Last edited by MrTibs; 26th October 2004 at 21:47.
MrTibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2004, 22:00   #30  |  Link
Manao

Get the latest version of the masktools, yours is outdated :

http://jourdan.madism.org/~manao/MaskTools-v1.5.4.zip
Manao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2004, 22:55   #31  |  Link
MrTibs

Yea, now it works.

Strange...my UnZip program wasn't overwriting the DLL when it should have. I was confused because it did expand the readme which had the documentation for the yv12lutxy filter.
MrTibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2004, 23:42   #32  |  Link
PiXuS

Quote:
Originally posted by Manao
Get the latest version of the masktools, yours is outdated :

http://jourdan.madism.org/~manao/MaskTools-v1.5.4.zip
The version of MaskTools.dll says v1.5.1.0 and MaskTools.htm says v1.4.16. But I guess it is v1.5.4 anyway. (?)
Old 27th October 2004, 00:38   #33  |  Link
PiXuS

Quote:
nope. that's just the 2x ssxsharpen speedy version. it doesn't porduce the bigger lines but it's not as good IMO at sharpening as didee's special Sharpening Function.
I agree. I think Smode=3 gives more detail (I mainly looked at faces of people in movies).
Old 27th October 2004, 10:14   #34  |  Link
Didée

Quote:
... the lines in kenshins hair become much bigger than the original.

the 2x ssxsharpen speedy version ... doesn't porduce the bigger lines but it's not as good IMO at sharpening as didee's special Sharpening Function.
When saying "special sharpening function", do you refer to Smode=3, or to special=true ?

Special=true is, as said, a pretty simple trick, considered experimental, and not really recommended for regular use. While it may have nice effects on dark & bright image areas, there are also some strange side effects, such as warpsharp-alike shifts of edges and boundaries, thinning or widening of narrow features, or even haloing when certain level ranges lie next to each other.
(For overall contrast enhancement, I've another more serious approach in the works. I dare to say it delivers already spectacular results ... but the noise is totally out of control, yet. So the forced bitrates are awesome, to not say mayhem - "through the roof" is a too weak term to describe it. Even PixieDust is hardly able to hold it.)

While in contrast Smode=3 is pretty safe, occasionally it may also deliver results a little different from what one expects, when looking very close. Reason is that mode 3 works only in relation to the present range of a given area. It does not care for the overall distribution in the area, like modes 1 & 2 do. (Throwing around with terminology, mode 3 is sort of a range filter, whereas modes 1 & 2 are domain filters.) Consequently, the effect of mode 3 on detail's edges is not always fully symmetric.

For natural sources, me too prefers Smode=3. For animated content, I simply don't know. That's why I asked about that some posts above.

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Old 27th October 2004, 10:55   #35  |  Link
Soulhunter
Bored...

Hmm, LimitedSharpen + Denoise3dHQ = Time for a new version of Reloaded HQ !?!

Btw, a new eye-riddle for Didée...

Bye

Visit my IRC channel

Last edited by Soulhunter; 27th October 2004 at 11:12.
Old 27th October 2004, 12:27   #36  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

Is Denoise3dHQ that good?
Chainmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2004, 12:40   #37  |  Link
PiXuS

Quote:
Originally posted by Didée
For natural sources, me too prefers Smode=3. For animated content, I simply don't know. That's why I asked about that some posts above.
I noticed something strange regarding the results of Smode=2 and Smode=3. On one test I made (my Blade Runner -- Director's Cut DVD) Smode=2 looks definitively sharper WHEN noise is added on playback. If NO noise is generated to compensate for the macro-blocks, I can easily observe Smode=3 retains more detail (can't say if it is sharper).

Weird!
Old 27th October 2004, 13:30   #38  |  Link
Soulhunter
Bored...

Quote:
Originally posted by Chainmax

Is Denoise3dHQ that good?
Imo its nice to reduce floating-noise n' ring-crawling effects !!!

Try disabling the denoising and use it as temporal-stabilizer...

Bye

Visit my IRC channel
Old 27th October 2004, 14:16   #39  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

Quote:
Originally posted by Didée
When saying "special sharpening function", do you refer to Smode=3, or to special=true ?

Special=true is, as said, a pretty simple trick, considered experimental, and not really recommended for regular use. While it may have nice effects on dark & bright image areas, there are also some strange side effects, such as warpsharp-alike shifts of edges and boundaries, thinning or widening of narrow features, or even haloing when certain level ranges lie next to each other.
(For overall contrast enhancement, I've another more serious approach in the works. I dare to say it delivers already spectacular results ... but the noise is totally out of control, yet. So the forced bitrates are awesome, to not say mayhem - "through the roof" is a too weak term to describe it. Even PixieDust is hardly able to hold it.)

While in contrast Smode=3 is pretty safe, occasionally it may also deliver results a little different from what one expects, when looking very close. Reason is that mode 3 works only in relation to the present range of a given area. It does not care for the overall distribution in the area, like modes 1 & 2 do. (Throwing around with terminology, mode 3 is sort of a range filter, whereas modes 1 & 2 are domain filters.) Consequently, the effect of mode 3 on detail's edges is not always fully symmetric.

yeah I was referring to Smode=3. your description of range to that frame is correct. I pulled out a few other episodes and gave them a whirl and it didn't do anything out of the ordinary to his hair. It seems to me that it only happens when it's a darker scene such as at night. I'm gonna fool around with the other modes and see if I get similar results.
Old 27th October 2004, 15:02   #40  |  Link
Didée

Quote:
Originally posted by Soulhunter
Imo its nice to reduce floating-noise n' ring-crawling effects !!!
Crawling rings or crawling-in-a-ring? Hmh, never have seen such a thing in my sources. Except for crawling Gollum, hunting after a certain ring

Seriously, has anyone a description about Denoise3D's principle of operation? Is it similar to Convolution3d, or is it using weightening à la SmartSmoothHiQ, or is it choosing the "best" diagonal from a 3x3 cube like STMedianFilter, or ...
Only having some vague "strength" options without explanation makes me feel like being in free fall , even if it works nicely. Which it does, without doubt.