Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26th April 2010, 09:33   #1  |  Link
ViciousXUSMC

ATI Video Encoder

Hey guys, came across a new encoder a couple of weeks ago that is included in the ATI 8.74 drivers leak.

I just gave it my first try tonight on a FRAPS file I recorded of a Starcraft II replay. The main reason I wanted to give it a try is to see how good the hardware accelerated feature is.

I must say at first glance it is simply amazing! I took a 4gb FRAPS file and encoded it to a 150MB H264/AAC encoded MP4 in only about 2 1/2 minutes on my Laptop!

This is probably almost 5-10x faster than the time it would have taken me with MeGUI using x264 and NeroAAC and it was easier it just automated the entire process.

My laptop is a Asus G73 it uses a core i7 720QM CPU and has a ATI Mobility 5870 GPU.

Here are the screen shots of the encoder I took.

Driver Information Screen of the ATI CCC

Hardware Information Screen

Video Converter option from the menu drop down

Main Converter Dialog

Step 1 Select File

Step 2 Select Preset

Thats all there is too it, after you pick the preset (no tweaking to the presets) it starts the process.

It was so fast I couldn't believe it, I expected some low quality result but the results are identical or better than what I produce with high quality settings in MeGUI.

These were leaked drivers, no current official release of the ATI drivers includes this encoder but I hope it does soon, alternatively I hope my favorite GUI's like MeGUI find a way to use hardware acceleration like this.

So that concludes the "review" section.

Now I have a question, and thats the reason I visit this forum usually since you guys know more than me.

The primary reason I encode videos is usually FRAPS stuff, and it breaks it down into several files 4GB in size. This one replay was made up of 6 files.

I found the best way to handle this with the MeGUI route is to create my AVISynth script that combines all the files together (avisource="file1") ++ (avisource="file2") and so on.

I tried to use my avisynth script with the ATI converter and sadly it does not recognize it and so it wont work.

So for now I still have to do it the older/slower way. I was hoping you guys maybe have an alternative for me.

Is there a way I can encode all the files individually and then splice them together at the end without having to encode them all again?

Can I just use a Avisynth script and upload it to youtube with the script?

I hope ATI finds a way to let us use AVISynth scrips with their encoder that would just be the best, however for now any work around you can give me I will give it a shot.

I cant wait to see how fast this encodes on my desktop that has an even faster cpu/gpu.
ViciousXUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aac, ati video converter, fraps encoding, h264, hardware accelerated