Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > VP9 and AV1

Old 23rd January 2016, 09:50   #801  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

In addition, as already stated: In YUV 4:2:2 (YUY2 / UYVY), dividing the bits of used data per frame by the number of pixels per frame, every pixel would have only an average bit amount (with hardly any "meaning per pixel") because the two chrominance components share the blue/yellow and the red/green difference from grey among two pixels. With 8 bit per component, the result would be an average 8 + 8:2 + 8:2 = 16 bit; but these 16 bit are not addressable per pixel, only per 2 pixel group. Even worse for YUV 4:2:0 (YV12 / i420), there are shared chroma difference values among a 2×2 pixel square to an average 8 + 8:4 + 8:4 = 12 bit per pixel. Such statistics have too little meaning if your scope is a single pixel, they are even misleading.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 07:40   #802  |  Link
Jamaika

Some improvements VP10 (currently 12-20% bitrate reduction):

Code:
•high bit-depth internal: 10/12 bits (also artificially to improve prediction quality: 2-4% gain for 8-bit content),
•partition structure: 8-way partition (4 in VP9), 128x128 unit size (64x64 in VP9),
•new intra prediction, “recursive 3-/4-tap filtering framework from the left and top edges”, more directional prediction modes,
•Inter-prediction – up to 6 reference frames (3 in VP9),
•InterIntra – “A compound prediction mode that combines an inter- and intra-predictor”,
•OWMC (overlapped wedge motion compensation) - “allows blocks to have oblique partitions”, using “wedge codebook”: for dividing a block into parts using separate predictors (inter/intra),
•OBMC (overlapped block motion compensation) – “blend multiple predictors using motion information from neighboring causal blocks”,
•Global motion: pan/tilt/zoom/shake, gaming,
•“Super transform: transforms that cover multiple prediction blocks, a combination of prediction and transform”,
•Extended transforms: 16 transforms ((DCT/ADST/FlipADST/DST)^2) for 4x4/8x8/16x16, explored 32x32 and 64x64 wavelet/DCT hybrids, transform skip mode, recursive transform units,
•Entropy coding – only Asymmetric Numeral Systems mentioned as much faster for decoding.
Jamaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 08:01   #803  |  Link
zerowalker

A bit confused about this stuff.

Google and others work on an Open Video Encoder thingy, but they still make the VP10, then there is Daala which is also aiming for the same thing?
Why are they allied if they are competing, am i missing something here?
zerowalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 16:42   #804  |  Link
BadFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerowalker View Post
Why are they allied if they are competing, am i missing something here?
The AOM (Alliance of Open Media) codec is based upon VP10 (which is still in heavy development as a separate branch), but they will use any useful technology which their members have access to, for example if you look at the AOM branch, there are Daala features being added:

https://chromium-review.googlesource...oject:webm/aom

I don't know if VP10 will actually materialise as a separate stable codec release or if it will be decprecated as it is the base of the AOM codec (depends on how long it will take to develop I guess).
BadFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 13:40   #805  |  Link
mandarinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaika View Post
Some improvements VP10 (currently 12-20% bitrate reduction):

Code:
•high bit-depth internal: 10/12 bits (also artificially to improve prediction quality: 2-4% gain for 8-bit content),
•partition structure: 8-way partition (4 in VP9), 128x128 unit size (64x64 in VP9),
•new intra prediction, “recursive 3-/4-tap filtering framework from the left and top edges”, more directional prediction modes,
•Inter-prediction – up to 6 reference frames (3 in VP9),
•InterIntra – “A compound prediction mode that combines an inter- and intra-predictor”,
•OWMC (overlapped wedge motion compensation) - “allows blocks to have oblique partitions”, using “wedge codebook”: for dividing a block into parts using separate predictors (inter/intra),
•OBMC (overlapped block motion compensation) – “blend multiple predictors using motion information from neighboring causal blocks”,
•Global motion: pan/tilt/zoom/shake, gaming,
•“Super transform: transforms that cover multiple prediction blocks, a combination of prediction and transform”,
•Extended transforms: 16 transforms ((DCT/ADST/FlipADST/DST)^2) for 4x4/8x8/16x16, explored 32x32 and 64x64 wavelet/DCT hybrids, transform skip mode, recursive transform units,
•Entropy coding – only Asymmetric Numeral Systems mentioned as much faster for decoding.
Note that some of those tools might be sacrificed later due to performance concerns ( ) or disappointing results. If you look at Daala, it dropped a large parts of originally planned features, with lapping being evaluated for possible removal too IIRC - they are not sure its complexity brings anything on top of simple loop filtering. Global Motion was famously a feature of Mpeg4 ASP, but the consensus was that it was useless, back then.

Quote:
Code:
•Inter-prediction – up to 6 reference frames (3 in VP9)
Aww, I hoped they would be more ambitious, this is still just catching up to HEVC (8) and AVC (16).

Edit:
Quote:
Code:
partition structure: 8-way partition (4 in VP9)
This seems to be just another name for rectangular partitions that AVC/HEVC already has, based on what they show in the video (atlhough it might not support partitions like 4x16 or 8x32?). I guess this is to get around patents, like that convoluted way to copy over b-frames in VP9.

Those oblique and wedge partitions are ambitions though, I wonder if that makes into the final codec (fingers crossed).

"Rotation/zoom motion"
\o/

"Intra-block motion" should also be useful.

Also, anyone who checked the video: is it just me or does the thing they call "OBMC" not really mean OBMC? Isn't that just combining/merging of predictors that conventional codecs do? The blocks on the picture in presentation don't look like being overlapped.

Last edited by mandarinka; 8th March 2016 at 14:18.
mandarinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 14:20   #806  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarinka View Post
Aww, I hoped they would be more ambitious, this is still just catching up to HEVC (8) and AVC (16).
The fact that HEVC moved down from 16 to 8 should already tell you something - its just not worth it to have such a high number of refs.
Old 8th March 2016, 14:26   #807  |  Link
mandarinka

Generally perhaps, but don't you know all that matters in encoding is anime?
Old 8th March 2016, 16:48   #808  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarinka View Post
Note that some of those tools might be sacrificed later due to performance concerns ( ) or disappointing results. If you look at Daala, it dropped a large parts of originally planned features, with lapping being evaluated for possible removal too IIRC - they are not sure its complexity brings anything on top of simple loop filtering. Global Motion was famously a feature of Mpeg4 ASP, but the consensus was that it was useless, back then.
Well, if they remove the lapping transformation, then they removed the only notable thing about the codec. The thing the codec is known for.
They might as well just dump the project and start enhancing existing formats or contribute to VP10. (Unless they put something more radical in there)
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 17:56   #809  |  Link
mandarinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
They might as well just dump the project and start enhancing existing formats or contribute to VP10. (Unless they put something more radical in there)
It's almost what they do now, actually.
Frequency domain intra prediction is dead, some other thing too but I can't recall what it is. They originally thought lapping will spare them from the need to have loopfilter. But without loopfilter, they have terrible ringing because they don't have intra because lapping. I think Daala currently has at least two loopfilters (complex deringing one, then some smoothing(?) thing from Thor), so that beggs the question if the lapping was worth it, ever? Losing intra prediction at least to me sounds like a potential bomb.

The big remains from Daala specialities is their entropy coding and PVQ. Those are still used, but they are also experimenting with porting them to VP10. AOM might mean Daala won't actually ship.
Old 9th March 2016, 05:16   #810  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
The fact that HEVC moved down from 16 to 8 should already tell you something - its just not worth it to have such a high number of refs.
HEVC certainly supports 16 refs, at least for B-frames; x265 just limits it to 8. If x265 ever gets long-term references, or even a reference structure beyond pure hierarchical, those extra refs might come in very handy, but for now, yeah, what's the point?
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2016, 09:59   #811  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
HEVC certainly supports 16 refs, at least for B-frames; x265 just limits it to 8. If x265 ever gets long-term references, or even a reference structure beyond pure hierarchical, those extra refs might come in very handy, but for now, yeah, what's the point?
While the HEVC bitstream can have 16 references, every individual picture can only access 8 of them, at least in all defined profiles/tiers/levels. But you get a bit of extra flexibility by keeping more around for another frame, I suppose.
Old 20th April 2016, 21:57   #812  |  Link
dapperdan

https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/...icrosoft-edge/

VP9 support returns to Windows 10
dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2016, 21:10   #813  |  Link
Motenai Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdan View Post
I don't get why disabling vp9 even on desktop...